Code of Conduct

Default SotD Sunday 21 February

Good morning!

-20C and snowstorm here, and I'm still sticking with perfume oils... Today's choice is Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Essence Oils Jicky type.

Enjoy your day!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: SotD Sunday 21 February

Hope you are feeling better Ms T.

I hate that Sunday is in full force in other parts of the world already because that means the weekend's almost over. Boo hoo

Scent of the moment for me is Gucci by Gucci EDP.

Good morning!

Snowstorm, you said? The sun is too hot here so I chose Silver Mountain Water

L'Heure Bleue

We got so much snow here yesterday Tigrushka. Don't we all long for spring?

Anyway I'm wearing Borneo 1834 from a sample. Yesterday I thought that Borneo not would be my next purchase, but today I think it will be. I think it's one of those fragrances that are there on you like some clothes and that fascinates me. I'm more of a floral woman than woody, but I like to own some non floral fragrances as well, and although I'm fond of many sweeter and creamier fragrances I like the dryness in Borneo. It is said to be a dark scent but at least in very dry winter air it is'nt.

Serge Lutens - Forreau Noir

Blog Entries

It is a bit dark and dank here today as the gargoyles drip with water slowly collecting on their stone cold forms. It is early and I strain to see any signs of that blue quality of light that precedes the dawn. So I shall wear L'heure Bleue.

Basenotes Institution

Shalimar for me ! Good morning all. Hugs and thoughts for 30 Roses ! I hope you are better now Tigrushka .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Guy Laroche J'ai Ose, for Seven Fragrances for Seven Days project. Mine is an older version, as opposed to the modern one saying it is by J'ai Ose.

Comfortable ambery woody smooth.

Chanel 31 Rue Cambon. I'll have to get myself a decant of this.

Sampling ( Sloan_8013) PG's Jardin de Kerylos...a fresh, green fig (I just LOVE BNers who are so observant - I mean, you guys know how I yammer on and on about figgies) with a hint of conifer. Heading up the road to sit The World's Most Adorable Grandbaby (TWMAG) and will see how it does longevity wise. Right now it's headed for the Lust List.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 21st February 2010 at 11:56 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin

Last edited by Antaeusintheair; 21st February 2010 at 12:48 PM.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Basenotes Plus

Beyond Paradise again...

The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Eva Pasco

Good morning!

Lo and behold, I'm planning on wearing Juicy Couture.

Basenotes Plus

Met a couple of dear friends in NYC yesterday for a fantastic day of schmoozing and of course a little sniffing. We made the usual rounds at Bergdorf's and Barney's. At Bergie's we tried L'Eau Serge Lutens - meh, what a whole lot of nothin'. I think Le Maitre is having a bit of a joke on us with that one. Went on to spend some time with the fabulous Tom, that veritable font of knowledge of all things Annick Goutal. He told us about Ninfeo Mio, Goutal's latest and a fig scent. It is not yet available for sale but he did have a tester which he graciously took out and let us try. It is deliciously fresh, cool and aromatic in the opening, moving into a warmer, balsamic drydown with a wonderful green, sappy fig note throughout. We went on to Barney's, but didn't see anything new or noteworthy there.

We also visited the Krigler perfumery, none of us having been before, which is located in a small alcove inside the Plaza Hotel, oh la. The Krigler scents are well done, the use of high quality essences evident.

We ended the day with a great visit with the divine Diane at Caron. Much has been written of the savaging of the urn fragrances but I'm here to tell you that as of yesterday's sniffing they are still intact, with that wonderful signature Caron heavy complexity. I retried Farnesiana in extrait and it is just as gorgeous as I remember. Tabac Blond may be a tad softer and tamer but again, it is recognizable from the few drops I have remaining of my extrait ca. 2004.

Sotd is my new purchase of Krigler Lovely Patchouli and it is aptly named. An ambery patchouli with a bitter-chocolatey undertone and a leather note that on my skin is more like the smell of wet stones. It is simply wonderful.

Enjoy the day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Ormonde Jayne Woman on a sunny day
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Guy Laroche Horizon.

Top notes are aldehydes, artemisia, lavender, green notes, mandarin orange, cassia, mint and bergamot.
    Middle notes are cyclamen, carnation, jasmine, caraway, rose, pine tree needles and geranium.
    Base notes are leather, sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Vetiver (vintage EdT, After Shave Balm and Shower Gel) by Guerlain

I am currently, on a torrid love affair with this juice.

Good morning everyone. It is day one of my "seven days of 5 star frags" and I shall start with EL Knowing. This is one of my favorite fragrances, but yet, I hardly ever find the right time to wear it. It seems too much for work (hospital), too much for casual social times - just too much. But she is so fun to wear, as the notes shift throughout the day. Lovely soft rose on a bed of OAKMOSS!!! This is one of my few 5 stars that L. Turin and I agree on (wait till Hiris day )

So today Knowing gets dusted off, sprayed on (as much as I like), and I will yet again be reminded why I love this beauty.

Twolf, glad you are joining me in the fun! I look forward to seeing what you bring out this week, as I am not familiar with all of your fragrances. It will be a learning experience for me - and certainly a great smelling week for you!
    Antaeus, gorgeous pics for such a fun fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    It is a bit dark and dank here today as the gargoyles drip with water slowly collecting on their stone cold forms. It is early and I strain to see any signs of that blue quality of light that precedes the dawn. So I shall wear L'heure Bleue.
    Perfect setting for L'heure Bleue, N_Tesla! I love your description of the "feel" of your choice this morning.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Beyond Paradise for Men this beautiful mild and sunny morning.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

tdem, sounds like you had a wonderful day! My sister & I explored the Kreigler boutique during her visit here at Thanksgiving. she loved the patch fragrance too. I fell for the Juicy Jasmine & bought it. It's a beautiful sparkly jasmine and I think I'll wear it today as my SOTD.

My husband leaves for Quebec tomorrow. We've been having a wonderful visit and are now watching Lord of the Rings together.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Jardin de Kerylos ..a fresh, green fig … Right now it's headed for the Lust List.
    Uh-oh.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Goutal's latest and a fig scent.
    Uh-oh.

Stop telling me these things. I can't wear the figgies around DH.
    Actually, thank you for the reporting. tdem, I appreciate your taking the time to share the details of your day.
    I'm decanting this a.m., so I just smell generally GOOD.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thank you, first of all, to you wonderful Basenoters for your lovely words yesterday! What a kind bunch :-)

We're heading out for a celebratory lunch to a deeeeeelicious Georgian resto (as in, Republic of). If any of you haven't tried that type of food, I highly recommend it: flavorful and healthy :-) So will wear Plus que Jamais from my dear VM

Potiron--you smell fantastic. Isn't it wooooonderful?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Howdies all around!

Yesterday afternoon I wore Diorella (no vintage, alas!), and also a tiny spritz of a vintage decant of Dioressence on the back of my hand. Lust! Watched a couple of great old movies: Emma (with the grande dame Marie Dressler) and You can't take it with you (Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur).

Also wore: YSL Y to bed (am I thinking of spring?)

The weather is an oookey mix of icy rain today. I am joining Nostalgie in OJ Woman. Plan on doing more of Kumquat's samples today, although as I told her, it is adding again to my wish list!

Tdem, sounds like you had a magnificent time shopping!

Shades, I had the same problem with my cap on Cuir de Lancome. The spray mechanism is ok, though. I think others have had the same issue about the cap.

Nick, you wax poetic! Swoon...

Lovethescents, just read about your news! Smiling big for you, sweetie!
    Last edited by Lessa; 21st February 2010 at 04:01 PM.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Sotd is my new purchase of Krigler Lovely Patchouli and it is aptly named. An ambery patchouli with a bitter-chocolatey undertone and a leather note that on my skin is more like the smell of wet stones. It is simply wonderful.

tdem: Lovely Patchouli is my favorite purchase of 2009! I bought it at Sniffa and just adore it! You are the first BN'r to share the passion!

I have already applied Liu and am enjoying it, but am already planning on wearing Lovely Patchouli tomorrow~

Mefisto by Xerjoff large 10ml sample. Lovely but smells very soapy after a while and costs and arm and a leg.

Hello everyone!

I'm joining cello's five-star fragrance party, and I randomly chose Guerlain's luxurious Iris Ganache...'cause it makes me feel posh! It is incredibly beautiful and luxurious and tender, and it's the only really creamy and luscious iris I know of. It seems to be somewhat polarizing, but I think it is sublime, and I adore it beyond reason.

Notes - Vanilla, Cinnamon, Bergamot, Patchouli, White musks, Cedar.

Chanel No. 19 parfum

Hope everyone has a great day!

Blog Entries

Romea D'Ameor - Les Imperatrices Japonaises
    Notes: Peony, lily, ylang-ylang, heliotrope, tonka, teak, sandalwood
    From a sample. I'm getting mainly heliotrope, tonka & incense along with luscious, liquid florals.
    Thank-you, Lessa!

Made the stupid decision to smear myself with the contents of a vintage (and thoroughly rotten) bottle of Coty Emeraude Creamy Skin Perfume today.

Disgusting.

And there's no way I can scrub this horror off.
    Last edited by soirdelune; 21st February 2010 at 05:55 PM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post

Potiron--you smell fantastic. Isn't it wooooonderful?
    'Tis. Longing for a decant of this woooooonderful stuff.

SotE: Amouage Homage - another gorgeous scent.

I've been away for awhile - on vacation. It's great to be back!

Poitron - 31, rue Cambon is a true treasure! I hope you do invest in a decant, you won't regret it. This beauty has so many faces.

Mikeperez23 - You smell insanely good!! I too loooooove this scent, and just purchased that very bottle in your photo last week. To me, Guerlain Vetiver is 'The' best of the vetiver scents ever made (that I've had the pleasure to smell).

Today, I'm wearing two scents:
    My favorite and most worn of the last 2 months: Chanel Cuir de Russie, worn in my cleavage, it quietly and sensually reclines like a second skin.
    On my wrist, I'm wearing a new acquisition: TOKYOMILK/ Eden. Notes are: Fresh Greens, Cassis, White Iris, Bronzed Musk. This smells of the beach, and other, at the moment, indescribable things.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Back from the conference and taking it easy with my kitties. I discovered last night that the veterinary/boarding place I had them staying at did not give one of my cats her supplements as they were directed to -- I am fuming and trying to decide how to approach them when they reopen for business tomorrow morning. We who must do the boarding thing are entrusting these places to take excellent care of our babies. (My mom usually watches my cats for me, but with my aunt's condition and now, passing, there was no way my mom could have helped out this time.)

Oh right, perfume! Wearing Rive Gauche today. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday. Take care, all, and thank you for the kind thoughts regarding my auntie.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Good morning!

-20C and snowstorm here, and I'm still sticking with perfume oils... Today's choice is Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Essence Oils Jicky type.

Enjoy your day!
    Tig, what do you think of DSH's vintage-type oils? How is that Jicky? I've been thinking about ordering a few of hers but I'd love your opinion!

Finally managed to drag myself out of the sofa after my after- work nap. Today is a really cold,but beautiful day. (- 15 today!) For work I craved some citrus, and ended up with Habit rouge. SotE is AL Moss de Chene. (hmm...I tend to overdo these oils...any idea how to put them on without spilling all over?:P)

Testing Creed Indiana Tubereuse this afternoon. I was expecting a wallop, but it is very gentle. More of a rose to my nose, perhaps a bit of an amber? Usually tubereuse is synonymous with BIG perfume to me, not this one. This would be really nice for those who want a kinder tubereuse, instead of the Fracas or Beyond Love types. Alas, I think it is going to be fleeting on my skin. Fading after about 2 hours.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Romea D'Ameor - Les Imperatrices Japonaises
    Notes: Peony, lily, ylang-ylang, heliotrope, tonka, teak, sandalwood
    From a sample. I'm getting mainly heliotrope, tonka & incense along with luscious, liquid florals.
    Thank-you, Lessa!
    Oh, I ADORE your picture post of la belle japonaise! Odd how after 1852 (when Japan was opened to the West, coincidentally when the Comte d'Orsay died...) the Japanese had a craze fro Western things.

My SOTD is Habanita, enjoying tobacco and vanilla on the cheap...while dreaming of the day when I will buy a bottle of By Kilian Back to Black, LOL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Good Sunday to everyone.

Wearing No 5 Eau Premiere today. And the remains of a SE wind.

Have a great week, everybody.

I've been sick all afternoon... I had the "brilliant" idea to have some sugar, and that's a no-no for me...

Still, SotD is Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleur...

Baldufita, ponte buena!

I'll have to finally try that sample of Voile de Fleur I have somewhere..
    Today, I'm in my sampleof Angliques sous la pluie...a wonderful gin note in the beginning...very fresh, very transparent, very Ellena, but fleeting as can be.I don't think I'd go for a FB...I'd rather have some Musc Ravageur..

Grey and depresing weather today. Wearing Bois d'Armenie because it makes me quietly happy.

From Dora's samples I've been wearing Keiko Mecheri Ume today and liking it a lot. It has a gentle, serene prettiness and great lasting power on my skin.
    Notes: Japanese plum, bergamot, osmanthus, wisteria, camellia, jasmine, spices, wood, oakmoss, patchouli.

For this evening trying Histoire de Parfums 1826. This a lovely, complex (to me anyway) patchouli fragrance. Lots of notes with patchouli meandering among them. Intriguing, must find out what the other notes are.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Fougere Bengale this evening
    Last edited by kbe; 21st February 2010 at 10:23 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Wall Street by Bond No.9
    Gary

Metalys tonight....ate too much Satsivi but it was deeeeeeeeeeeelicious!!

http://europeandcis.undp.org/uploads...ge/satsivi.jpg
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Sublime (Jean Patou)

Angel

Sampled today--StylinLA and I did some sniffing in Beverly Hills

SotD are:

Byredo White--yes, it really does smell, well, WHITE
    Guerlain Bois d'Armenie--chocolate patchouli with dry woods and subtle incense
    Parfums del Rae Mythique--iris over a woody base, not unlike V&R Bois d'Iris
    L'Artisan Havana Vanille--mostly vanilla, not much tobacco, overall impression is of a sweet and slightly fruity vanilla, nice composition

I'll collect thoughts from other things I smelled for a separate thread.

Blog Entries

L'Occitane Cedar

Grapefruit, Wood sap, Cumin, Tobacco leaves, Blue Atlas Cedar, Tonka Bean

The Atlas Cedar is a cold, clear, almost-cypress scent, unlike the pencil-shavings of Virginia Cedar. I never got cumin or tonka, but I suppose they're in there somewhere, adding depth and subtlety. This is the most refreshing thing I own, and I love it all year, even more on him than on me... on my skin its almost vaguely floral.

On him its all cedar... all that glorious cedar...

I'm so incredibly happy, darlings... overwhelmed, grateful, excited... more kinds of happy than I have words for, and this smells perfect for it.

<3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Blog Entries

This is about the one place where Diana and I know that we can be as open about our relationship as we like. I'm also wearing L'Occitane Cedre tonight, but last night it was Jubilation XXV, one I only wear with a good reason. Diana had an issue on her mind, and one I didn't know was becoming an issue. As determined as we are about moving out to New Mexico, there are, some would say, some other formalities and ceremonies to see too first. She, like me, sees the commitment itself as far more important than the pageantry that tends to accompany it.

She also didn't know that I had a surprise for her, but one that I chose to divulge before I honestly intended to, in order to spare her the worry, baseless as it might have been.

We're in a new phase of things, and one that I don't hear much about. I'm plenty nerdy, as you know if you've read a Scent of The Week article, but I'm not quite nerdy enough to propose over the internet. But I felt that I had to put her mind at east on the subject, and we're in between the simple boyfriend/girlfriend point and (dare we say it?) engagement.

She took the element of surprise away from me this time, so I'm going to have to double my efforts to surprise her when the time is right.

We're both so happy, faces hurting from smiling so much, and it was still a moment that we could spend together in sight and sound, and tonight in scent.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Yay, wonderful news bluesoul and exquisitely me! It seems like a natural next step!

Chaelaran1008, I'm glad to hear your report on KM Ume. I really enjoy that one, too!

Bluesoul and EM, I am smiling for you!

My SotD is Ambre Precieux. More in cello's five star week thread!

EM and bluesoul, you guys are each others' lobsters. So wonderful!

My first fume of five-star week is 22.

I must have first read about this on the review boards here. All I know is that, in January 2009, I was highly intrigued with this number that was neither 5 nor 19. I soaked up everything I could read on 22 like a sponge. My first TPC order was of 22 samps, and so highly anticipated were they that I was afraid they could never live up to my expectations. The awesome thing was, the edt exceeded them.

The rest is history.

Blog Entries

Congrats to Bluesoul & ExquisitelyMe!

Today I tested Odin New York Odin 02 Owari.

Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Scent twins with EmmaGrace!

Thierry Mugler's Angel.