Code of Conduct

Default Why are ALL blue fragrances SO synthetic

I just don't get that. All these perfumes are considered good.

D&G Light Blue - all basenoters agree that it is synthetic
    Cool Water - Davidoff - It surely has synthetic notes
    A*Men - That is NOT natural for sure
    Le Male - It seems to be blue, from the bottle, and it smells synthetic too
    Bulgari AQUA Pour Homme - too synthetic for me
    Azzaro Chrome - never used it

So, why are blue fragrances not natural. For me, blue means synthetic now.

Also, do you know other blue synthetic frag ?
    Last edited by Yves Saint Lourock; 21st February 2010 at 08:54 AM.

Default Re: Why are ALL blue fragrances SO synthetic

Most perfumes are synthetic..why don't you call them "harsh" or "unpleasant" instead? Just so we don't get a discussion about percentages of synthetic materials

What furrypine said. Most modern perfumes heavily use synthetic components. This is not a bad thing. Naturals and synthetics both have their place in perfumery.

Blue tinted juice or packaging usually flag "fresh", "sporty", or aquatic fragrances. Many BN'ers dislike that style of perfumery due to overexposure and/or disdain for the ubiquituous use of Calone - the particular aromachemical that lends the watery/cucumbery effect. Even so, you're allowed to prefer aquatics over other types of scents. Really.

Mind you, dye is commonly added after formulation of the scent and has more to do with marketing than with which fragrant components are used. You may just as well find a vivid red juice that's also chock full of Calone and which you would also brand "synthetic", or a blue tinted oriental, for that matter - although marketing conventions do make those events unlikely.
    Last edited by monoï; 21st February 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monoï View Post
    Mind you, dye is commonly added after formulation of the scent and has more to do with marketing than with which fragrant components are used. You may just as well find a vivid red juice that's also chock full of Calone and which you would also brand "synthetic", or a blue tinted oriental, for that matter - although marketing conventions do make those events unlikely.
    I share the same thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves Saint Lourock View Post
    So, why are blue fragrances not natural. For me, blue means synthetic now.

Also, do you know other blue synthetic frag ?
    Iris Noir by Rocher. The starter on top is a black berry flavor - get that! - and while it dries down for the wearer to something of a synthetic powdery sharp green flowery X the "zillage" is exactly that black berry and remains that. The "reviews" here are over the top, sigh. It's exactly the type of secretary fishing-for-compliments-scent that Etat Libre D'Orange addresses with Jasmine Et Cigarettes.

A fully synthetic scent that is proud of it may be Tommy Girl. TG is shy. By no way it is as the former an environmental mayhem, but its pleasing at the same time You know its synthetic. I think the irritation with the usual 90% of synthetics is, that people try to project their romanticism onto the juice. If You don't expect the advertised precious ingredients, but an interesting olfactory sensation, that holds Your curiosity, You may enjoy it.

Sur la Plage

Who ever said synthetic = bad?
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st February 2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by monoï View Post
    Mind you, dye is commonly added after formulation of the scent and has more to do with marketing than with which fragrant components are used.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc
    One of my biggest peeves regarding fragrance reviews. "[Fragrance] is really nice, if only it didn't smell so synthetic!" What does that even mean? Perfume itself is synthetic, a combination of well-blended chemicals borne of a laboratory, nowadays consisting almost entirely of synthetic molecules with a handful of naturally-extracted materials if you're lucky. Synthetics have given us some of the most memorable, high-quality perfumes in history. Enough already.

But as for the question at hand, most "blue"/aquatic/sport fragrances have huge doses of Calone, which is a synthetic material that gives a fragrance a fresh, marine accord. If you were to attempt a similar aquatic accord with natural materials, you'd probably end up smelling like seaweed or saltwater. These sorts of fragrances aren't possible without Calone, and lots of it. As for the actual color of the juice...dye is dye. (I'm not even sure Le Male is blue, just the bottle.)

Blog Entries

Apparently the whole industrialized world nowdays :-)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Cool Re: Why are ALL blue fragrances SO synthetic

Yes, the OP meant cheapo or bad for " synthetic. " Let's cut him some slack . . .

(unless we can think of a better adjective to describe what a newbie would term "synthetic")

I am tempted to suggest wearing Baldedsarini Del Mar or Mont Blanc Individuel to a blue dinner party!

Like the kind Alfred Hitchcock served in the 60's

Check it out:

http://rvanews.com/features/bee-box-...ck-party/23484

and http://ask.metafilter.com/18114/Blue-food

Damn. I'm getting hungry already. Esp for B'luga caviar. I can skip the blue Kool-Aid

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

The base notes of almost all frags these days smell unpleasantly synthetic (niche is not excepted. I'm looking at you, By Kilian!). Thin, sharp, scratchy, and painfully long lasting. It's for that reason that I really cherish frags that really do disappear in 6 or so hours, like Iskander, Bois de Turquie, and a few others. I don't understand longevity complaints. Nearly everything lasts 10+ hours on me. Even things like AdP Colonia last at least 8 hours on my skin. It's annoying, actually, because the base notes have long since stopped evolving or saying anything interesting (figuratively speaking) but there they go, blabbing on that same old tired line. Blah blah blah.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 22nd February 2010 at 04:43 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

A lot of scents called "blue" are basically "marine" or "aquatic" scents, and the synthetic that many people feel to be harsh in them is often dihydromyrcenol, sometimes called calone. I have read that this synthetic has a tendency to smell harsher with greater exposure.; i. e., the more you sniff it, the more it "sticks in your nose."

"No, sir. Don't like it," to quote the cartoon horse.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 22nd February 2010 at 07:43 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I'm not a fan of aquatic/blue fragrances, although there are two I own and really enjoy (Roots for Him by Roots and Blu Stremo by Carlo Corinto). With respect to synthetic notes, I own very few fragrances ('blue' or otherwise) that don't use synthetics to some degree. One which has a prominent synthetic note which I have been trying to identify for a long time now is one which I really enjoy - Sung Homme. It seems inevitable that synthetics will be detected in most designer frags. The only way I can see to (possibly) escape synthetics is to go niche, or to select and blend single note essential oils, or to seek out locally produced single note fragrances which usually have very poor longevity (e.g., Olive Flower, Tea Flower, Tobacco Flower, etc.). These are usually found in countries with fairly traditional societies, such as Turkey. While I am not necessarily keen on synthetics, they're here to stay.

By the way, I believe that JaimeB's response in post # 12 best answered your initial question.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The base notes of almost all frags these days smell unpleasantly synthetic....
    The answer (for designer frags at least) = a humble return to the classics.
    *hides under rocks*

But, seriously, SoS has voiced a thought that has been bothering me for a very long while. I used to think i was just stuck in (pre-historic) time, frags wise.

All that said, for fun i recently sampled Valentino's V pour Homme, my curiousity piqued by the scary blue colour of the juice. Bought it on the spot!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

As above posters said, synthetic components are the main ingredient in today's perfumery. I'll be wearing fragrance with lots of synthetic ingredients as long as it smells good and doesn't cause rashes.

To many Basenoters, blue juice or bottle has a boring image, since many of those have let them down. But to the majority of people, aquatic, fresh fragrance is most preferred. Just my two cents.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Hmmmm...lolz...Syntheticsm is really viscid with those Bubblegum,Metallic and vaccuous cuccumber scents...though I can find them attractive at times..it's just that they don't really spark me to extremity...I prefer much more pugnacious scents, that of verdance,etc,etc,ergo,ergo. It just feels those synthetic notes I speak of prove mundane...*To Me*. Though If contrived and conjured in such magnificent manners then Yes, I am willing to give anything a chance :P

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    A lot of scents called "blue" are basically "marine" or "aquatic" scents, and the synthetic that many people feel to be harsh in them is often dihydromyrcenol, sometimes called calone. I have read that this synthetic has a tendency to smell harsher with greater exposure.; i. e., the more you sniff it, the more it "sticks in your nose."

"No, sir. Don't like it," to quote the cartoon horse.
    Oops, I lied, without meaning to, of course. Calone is not dihydromyrcenol; it is methylbenzodioxypinone. Damned chemical names give me just as much of a headache as Calone!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 24th February 2010 at 08:03 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I guess one could say that most aquatic, airy etc. frags have something extremely "artificial smelling", meaning that they may have this uber-cheap, generic, inanimate mass-market material, vapid and/or way too linear sort of scent

I was trying to think of blue non aquatic scents. Royal Copenhagen came to mind. Of course it used to be brownish years and years ago, I guess blue was a more attractive color. Sure its quite synthetic but not in the same way, it is the farthest thing from aquatic that crosses my mind in a blue colored liquid. Fathom by MEM is the next most immediate thing, its kind of a light blue, its not acquatic, more soapy, with a tobacco type drydown. Iron by Coty is blue, it smells vaguely like Perferred Stock but less artificial, but not aquatic. Blue does not have to equal acquatic, but it is generally assocatiated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    The answer (for designer frags at least) = a humble return to the classics.
    *hides under rocks*

But, seriously, SoS has voiced a thought that has been bothering me for a very long while. I used to think i was just stuck in (pre-historic) time, frags wise.

All that said, for fun i recently sampled Valentino's V pour Homme, my curiousity piqued by the scary blue colour of the juice. Bought it on the spot!
    My problem is that while I respect many classic compositions, I don't feel they are particularly me or feel all that comfortable wearing them. I like the structure and reduced density of modern frags - just not a huge fan of the overly synthetic base notes that usually linger. There are some modern frags that don't suffer from this, though (at least to my nose), and these are the kind of scents I'm actively seeking out now. A good example is Parfum d"Empire's Iskander, or C&S's Oxford And Cambridge (although i guess this is more of a bridge between traditional and modern, moreso than clearly modern).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more