Code of Conduct

Default Making out with Grandma?

I suppose if anything is worse than buying a new cologne and being told you
    smell Old Manish (Grandpa), it would be to spend a bundle to find out that you
    smell Old Womanish (Grandma). I was researching ideas for an interesting
    winter frag, and came across Fumerie Turque. It was described as a
    Honey Tobacco smell, which sounded intriguing.

I buy myself a decant sample for about $20. I was also delighted to
    see that I was given a free sample of Timbuktu. So anyway, I have yet
    to wear either frag out in public yet. Both definitely smell different
    than the usual Klein/Armani/Cole or even Zegna stuff that I usually wear.

I live in Western Maryland and am a bit reluctant to wear these frags to
    work. What do I do if someone says I smell like an old woman. How about
    "Well, I was digging through Grandma's purse the other day......" or
    maybe "I hadn't seen Grandma in ages and we got to talkin' and one
    thing lead to another and...... Anyway, without getting gross, I
    hope I get some feedback here. Thanks.

Default Re: Making out with Grandma?

Easy: "I like it, don't You?" ... what/why/how/thanks

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I once worked in a kindergarden.
    One day I was drawing with a
    group of children, when one of
    them said;
    'it smells like my grandma here'.
    I know I was to blaim, as I was
    wearing Ysatis de Givenchy!

Clearly the wrong forum for that
    scent ...

I never said it was me,
    I was too embarrest!

Sur la Plage

I would just look at them head to toe and then say "If I were you, I wouldn't be judging others".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

"Your grandma has good taste."

Basenotes Institution

Life is too short, to worry about what others think about your fragrance selection.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st February 2010 at 02:07 PM.

if i'm feeling particularly bitchy on that day that comment was passed, i'd go "youngsters these days have no taste. tsk tsk"

I'd just say, "What the hell is wrong with you?! There must be something wrong with your nose. I guess your grandma likes wearing men's colognes."

I guess the snappy comeback is the basenoter way to go! I guess personality
    would dictate your response. I would tend to feel a bit embarrassed and go
    back to a tried and true standby frag like Chrome in Summer or maybe
    Paul Smith Extreme in Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Life is too short, to worry about what others think about your fragrance selection.
    Very true. There are so many people who would just love to tell you how to live your life.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Certainly, someone needs to grow up. Meanwhile, i am enjoying this experience.............
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Dependent

I guess... If it actually bothered me that much if someone commented that I smelled so and so, I would just not wear it publicly ever again. It can be tiring trying to come up with fake reasons all the time.
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st February 2010 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This is so well said, and I second it. Wear what you like and the heck with the comments.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

I'd probably do a Johnny Fairplay: "Yeah, I wear it in rememberance of my late grandmother. She passed away last week..."

But if you're anxious about people commenting on your fragrances, spray lightly and wear it discreetly. Or quit hanging around people who spend a lot of their time sniffing at old women...

I'm pretty bold about what I wear in public, and even to my office, but the trick is keep it on the light side. Just one or two sprays of the ones you might think are too strong, or too sweet. Another strategy: if you're worried about it, spray on the back of your hands. You can wash it off easily if you want to.

Depending on who said I smell like an old woman I'd respond "Yeah, I told your (wife, mom, sister, etc.) not to put on so much perfume before we knocked boots. I'll be sure to give her a good spanking later."

I've been complimented by women when I wear Coco EDP. That is the granniest of all my frags, even beating Mitsouko in terms of the Grannie-scale. Funnily enough, that means they usually got interested enough to try Coco on for themselves, but then find it doesn't suit them with the same exact complaint, "Too old-fashioned" or "Smells like grandma".
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Most people aren't that confrontational, in my experience, but when they do say something I just smile/laugh and ignore it. it only matters that you like it.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would just look at them head to toe and then say "If I were you, I wouldn't be judging others".
    LOL ! I love this one .....and I am certainly gonna use it one day....
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Before work yesterday, I put on some Trussardi Inside Man. My wife caught a wiff and told me it smelled like an old woman. I was a bit shaken by that one. A think that Inside Man is more masculine that a lot of frags out there. Hopefully, that impression left with the top notes.

Heck I thought I smelled like an old woman when wearing Lanvin's Arpege Pour Homme.

Not exactly "locker room" fare.

Whenever I see this thread resurrect itself, I always read the title as some "Do I or don't I?" question.

As a 53 year old basenoter I am on the verge of feeling insulted here! <laughs>

I think the "Yeah, Gran has GREAT taste in perfume" would be the best retort.

Or a simple "whatever."

Better yet, don't worry, wear what you like.

I wear Fumerie Turque and think that it smells lovely. Fresh tobacco being the main impression on my skin. (on a man, I can't say.)

(I guess it's better than smelling like "unwashed grandmothers" which DOES conjure up a rather funky scent image, as a Ukrainian described the smell of the university restrooms... "unwashed humans" might have been more correct, but I understand what she was getting at.) LOL
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Most people won't think a frag smells like a grandma until someone tells them it smells like a grandma, or an actual grandma is wearing it.

This is why guys can easily get away with wearing womens' - even classic womens' scents - and nobody notices. Nobody will tell you that you smell like a grandma because it won't occur to anyone except innocent little children who call it like it is.

Case in point: Bought my girlfriend a Guerlain. She loved it. Told her boss. Boss asked what it was. She said Shalimar. Boss said "My mother-in-law wears that!" Girlfriend now thinks it smells like an old lady. Such is life.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th March 2010 at 04:43 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Most people won't think a frag smells like a grandma until someone tells them it smells like a grandma, or an actual grandma is wearing it.

This is why guys can easily get away with wearing womens' - even classic womens' scents - and nobody notices. N

Case in point: Bought my girlfriend a Guerlain. She loved it. Told her boss. Boss asked what it was. She said Shalimar. Boss said "My mother-in-law wears that!" Girlfriend now thinks it smells like an old lady. Such is life.
    The power of suggestion. Sigh.

(of course if your girlfriend wants to part with the Shalimar...)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    This is why guys can easily get away with wearing womens' - even classic womens' scents - and nobody notices.
    This is so true. I've had folks think Fracas is a guy's scent simply by virtue of the fact that I'm a guy and I'm wearing it. Most folks really don't ever think about the gender, unless told.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    This is so true. I've had folks think Fracas is a guy's scent simply by virtue of the fact that I'm a guy and I'm wearing it. Most folks really don't ever think about the gender, unless told.
    On the other hand, nobody has called me out for wearing Aramis or any other made-for-men scent either. (I'm actually pretty girly, which may be why... same concept... woman smells good, must be woman's perfume. Or woman smells good, nice perfume.)