Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Do you like the new male scents from Yves Saint Laurent ?

L' Homme
    La Nuit d' L' Homme

I think they are ok, but if you read the reviews, many people say that they are not original like the other scents from YSL. There are alot of negative reviews, but still many people I know use it.
    Sadly, YSL is only a shadow of it's former self now. Also, Yves has died in 2008. Yes, I know, he didn't create any scent himself, a perfumer did that and then they put his name on it. The same thing is with Dior and other brands.
    The thing is, that you get bored with the same scents. We realy need another classic scent like Kouros to be released these days, because there is a shortage of good scents now.

Take a look at this : (from the reviews)
    "YSL's lacklustre answer to Chrome by Azzaro, proving yet again that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. No doubt Ropion would be anxious to distance himself from such a bland-astic release."
    "Being a fan of some YSL classics, I must say that L'Homme is YSL's attempt at a modern, mass-appealing scent. While it does not smell bad, it does lack distinction and character. Being a generic "freshie", I can imagine why this is a hit, but having a market saturated with such scents can be a quite boring. "
    ''To me this is without a doubt the most uninteresting masculine release from this house. (And all the flankers are even worse)Completely useless fragrance to me.''
    ''Unbelievable YSL can lauch such an average scent like this! Despite the luxurious and artisttic bottle, L'Homme scent lacks of the most important thing: Diffirence.''

I sampled them both, but I don't have a bottle. In my opinion, La Nuit is better then L' Homme. Also, they last very long for modern colognes, but I am afraid that, if I buy a bottle they will bore me to death.
    Why are they marketing so much these scents, even through they so boring and crappy ?

So, do you like them ? What is your opinion about them ?
    Last edited by Yves Saint Lourock; 21st February 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you like the new male scents from Yves Saint Laurent ?

They are not bad, just rather insipid - at least to my nose. Nothing I would spend money on.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I brought La Nuit in haste and regret it now , maybe time to sell it on me thinks

i tried the l'homme sample that jonny gave me and i find the drydown awfully similar to carolina herera's aqua whose sample i finished 4 years ago after getting it from a magazine, when i was not into perfumes yet. not impressed.

As a whole I think they are fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Wel I think that they have a quality more than acceptable . What happens is that both (l´homme, la nuit) are beyond the archetype of male fragrances from this house, which are often more powerful, dark and dense, and that may offend to old school.
    Simply, YSL seeks to capture a younger market but their quality is unquestionable

If you look at their history with Kouros, Rive Gauche, M7, Opium and Jazz they are all on the cutting edge of originality and complexity, especially for a designer. Now with L'Homme they are just cranking out another scent to go with the pack. Guerlain is accused of doing the same thing with Guerlain Homme. I guess they see that that's where the money is; another frag for the masses. When you realize that the number one cologne in US sales has been Acqua di Gio ever since its release, you kind of understand why they're doing this.

L'Homme isn't bad, it's just not nearly as great as their past offerings.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 21st February 2010 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tested both, yet, like so many recent releases, the memory of what they smell like is gone. So, neither good nor evil, just completely forgettable. Tell what's-her-name they'll make the perfect gift for what's-his-face.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked an experienced friend about them, he was not overly enthused over them, he told me to take a pass on these. He never dissapoints me with his advices. That will not stop me from at least trying them, I'm curious even though I have a clear picture of these scents smell and my eventual - not bad, but nah...
    Last edited by Zgb; 21st February 2010 at 03:51 PM.

I railed against L'Homme initially, but I eased up a little and actually came to love it. There's a real subtlety about it that separates it from the other fresh scents of the moment. I spent some time wearing it, and it was magical on my skin. Also, I've encountered other people wearing L'Homme and thought it smelled great on them as well (not unlike the effect of Rive Gauche). I bought La Nuit also, and it's OK, but I like L'Homme much more. I still have my M7, Rive Gauche, Kouros, Jazz, Live Jazz, Opium and all of their flankers--L'Homme is good too. Different approach, but still set on seduction.

Who knows, maybe the next one will be edgy again.

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled L'Homme and it was just OK, nothing worth owning a full bottle of IMO, the longevity was actually weak on me and after a while the scent becomes sort of generic

Havent tried La Nuit

Post Thanks / Like

La Nuit is strong and synthetic, yet a hit with my girlfriends. I wear it, and it smells pleasant enough, but it doesn't leave me sniffing my wrist for another whiff it as the night goes on.

I agree. The quality and originality aren't there. Yes, they are popular and were made to be so for obvious reasons. Just like all the "aqua" out there. They're safe choices both for the company and the consumer. If I were to choose a "safe" scent like L'Homme, I'd just go with the original classic YSL Pour Homme--which I always have anyway.
    I like to use more unique scents. Only on certain occasions I feel compelled to wear more conservative, safe/neutral ones which would still be a classics. I'd never consider buying L'Homme. Pleasant but what's the point?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

"Well, it's Ok I suppose" was my girlfriend's reaction to L'Homme and it pretty much sums up my own. Nothing particularly offensive about either of them but not much to get excited about either. They are the definitive "neutral" in my book. For some houses they would represent a reasonable effort but for someone with the reputation of YSL they are lazy and uninspired.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 21st February 2010 at 04:58 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

They are not bad just a tad bland and not quite YSL enough. The problem with us 'fumeheads' is we smell way too many perfumes and we get to be choosy. But to the average consumer, both of these are pleasantly wearable options. And for the company, mass market scents and flankers are what keep the cash registers ringing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    They are not bad, just rather insipid - at least to my nose. Nothing I would spend money on.
    I feel the same way.

Keep trying to like them. . . but ho hum, so ordinary to me. . .

They are geared towards the younger crowd and since they're not as bold as previous YSL scents people are dismissing them. They still are great scents and still have great quality. The women seem to REALLY like them so that's a plus.

Hopefully they don't continue this trend though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed L'Homme, but La Nuit de L'Homme was just all kinds of synthetic and I hated it.

Post Thanks / Like

I own L'Homme, but I honestly don't care for either of them. They're both uninspired and boring to me.

I understand, why so many Basenoters are disappointed by L`Homme and La nuit. I haven´t made a final decision about La nuit, but I wouldn´t buy L`Homme either. Compared to other recent releases, they´re not that bad though. How can the guys at YSL be blamed for coming up with something they want to make money with? That´s what they always did, I guess. Now they´re doing it differently. So what? But don´t get me wrong, of course I hope that the next release will be more "YSL-ish".

Post Thanks / Like

What really disappoints me with these 2 releases is the lack of persistence ( moreso with L'Homme) and longevity. La Nuit is the one l like better, but at the end of the fragrance it has a vetiver note ( which I do not like). L'Homme ( the first release of the two) is just too faint and is a smell I generally do not care for. Smells quite a bit like Boss Selection, actually ( to my nose).

I have no problem with YSL making a "typical" fragrance, but make it last and project acceptably.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I bought a bottle of L'Homme, but will not buy another. A very safe, light floral scent.

In the end, too much like a lot of what is out there...
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st February 2010 at 09:17 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves Saint Lourock View Post
    L' Homme
    La Nuit d' L' Homme

Yes, I know, he didn't create any scent himself, a perfumer did that and then they put his name on it. ?

So, do you like them ? What is your opinion about them ?
    well from my readings for Mr. Yves Saint Laurent biography, he was the one who intiated the concept to launch a fragrance & envolved in the creation process from stage 1,,,

he was the one who suggested the name, wrote the perfume brief, & work closely with the nose, flacon designer & marketing team.

from what I remeber, he requested the font of OPIUM on the bottle a month before the launch in the 70's & made it bigger & bolder. & he choose Jerry Halle for the campaigne & shot it in his apartment.

& he wrote the shortest fragrance brief in history according to Sophie Grojsman when requested PARIS, he simply wanted the most gorgeous rose fragarnce ever.
    & he worked closely with her in Champagne too.

so what is missing now at YSL Beaute sector is a visionry creative director, Tom Ford did a great job in modernizing YSL when he was ther with his minimal bold approach through NU & M7 but now with L'Oreal managemnt I can't see where YSL is going?

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the problem is that L ´Homme and La Nuit d´LHomme are average fragances. They are good.............not a masterpiece

Post Thanks / Like

they are far from good as much as I tried to like them I do not. If you compare those two with M7, Rive Gauche, Kouros, Opium etc, they are sleepers, they will pass without any glory because, to me, they add nothing new.

Post Thanks / Like

Not masterpieces, but very good for everyday wear. They do require 3-4 sprays to get decent longevity and projection. My wife complimented me yesterday evening on the L'Homme. I put on 3 sprays about 9 hours before that. It's my 14 year-old son's favorite scent of mine...he chose to wear it to a dance on Friday. Nuit is better, and a little more complex.

Very nice workhorse type scents.

I don't know about all this criticism. How was Jazz received when it was first released? I am thinking it probably didn't blow anyone away with its unique edginess or ... whatever. But over time, the quality of its construction continued to be appreciated.

everything Tom Ford touches has this certain raunchy but rich, decadent, exclusive feel to it. he knows how to do throwback but still be on the cutting edge, and whatever he does he's very deliberate and unapologetic about it. did i mention everything he creates is just rich? look at his own line - its less than 5 years old and he's had the balls to position his brand up there with heavy weights that have been around for decades like Hermes, Chanel, and bespoke shoe and suit makers in the UK and Italy. like it or not, he's got a very clear direction and people buy into it.

enter L'Homme, the opposite of that - the L'Homme series is surprisingly one of the most underwhelming, synthetic, everyman frags i've smelled in a while, and i think that's magnified by the fact that everything else they've put out previously was so distinct and rich. i feel like they pushed this one out just to make a buck, and did so really badly. yes, desperate times call for desperate measures, but even when Chanel put out the Allure Homme Sport and Allure Homme Sport Eau de Cologne at least they were well made.

someone needs to grab a hold of the reigns and give YSL a kick in the rear like Hedi Slimane and Tom Ford
    Last edited by sbbbjm; 23rd February 2010 at 07:57 PM.