Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Moving more threads to Just Starting Out

This is of course at the discretion of the current mods but I see a lot of threads in MFD that honestly belong in Just Starting Out. There always seems to be a sort of a backlash when one of these threads pops up.

If I were doing it, I'd move them with a temporary (3 or 7 day) "Moved:" thread in the origin forum. I haven't messed with VB4 yet but I know this has been an option since like 2.6.5.

Just a suggestion, of course, but I think the advantages (less whining and more constructive answers from people that like to post in JSO) outweigh the effort involved.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: Moving more threads to Just Starting Out

Maybe I misunderstand you but moved topics do currently receive a "Moved: " link in their original forum.

Blog Entries

No, I get that. My suggestion is that we be a bit more active in using that feature to move stuff over to JSO. Somewhere between a third and a half of the new threads on any given day should probably be posted over there. We're constantly getting new faces as Basenotes gains popularity, and they come less educated on the basics. I was as uneducated as they come, and I started out in JSO asking questions and getting genuinely helpful answers. The recent trend with similar threads in MFD are a cynical, sarcastic sort of response by some members. I'm simply proposing we move those threads out of that area, and spare new users the jabs and snide remarks. We could have a future veteran, an expert, whose passion is sparked because of the help of the community, and I don't want to see them chased off.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Dependent

^That is a very considerate and sensible suggestion. I picked things up from the JSO too, when I started. Not all the time and not with everyone, but the allocation of certain threads in more appropriate forums will attract more constructive responses, most certainly.

Good idea bluesoul as I noticed a few threads by new members either getting ignored or getting very few responses on the MFD recently.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

While moving threads is clearly at the moderators discretion, I too have wished they would be more aggressive lately. Some posts are borderline Just Starting Out (some newbs have decent wardrobes and knowledge) and so will have split opinions as to whether or not moving is necessary. Others are obviously newbie questions and should be moved without second guessing but remain in the forum in which they start.

I would also like to see more threads moved to the Industry Discussion when they do not pertain to male or female marketed fragrances. A number of topics on houses -- scarcity, discontinuations, reformulations -- would be more appropriate in the Industry Discussion.

I agree and have strongly recommended this in the past, but no action was taken. At that time the Mods were in full thread locking mode, and seemed to ignore everything else that would've been helpful.

The main MFD board has been and is now even more cluttered up with basic newbie questions. I agree with bluesoul that a third to a half of all the posts in the MFD could easily be moved the JSO board. The "What would The Hulk wear?" and related fantasy questions aren't fragrance discussions, and probably belong in a Fun and Games type board.

I do agree that keeping the boards more tidy would make the boards more pleasant and useful for both newbies and veteran members.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 4th March 2010 at 05:12 PM.