Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Cheap Skank Challenge

I am looking for for a friend....

for cost-effective, nicely-skanky fragrances, which aren't of the aldehydic variety (A point of reference -- a scent
    which she loves -- is L'Air d'Rien).

The challenge:
    -You cannot mention Bal a Versailles.
    -Niche price-ranges are too high.
    -Fatty aldehydes are an no no.

Hoping for some winners! Thanks for any suggestions at all!

Default Re: Cheap Skank Challenge

What does your friend think about Tabu? It's nice and cheap and still good, IMO, in small doses.

Youth Dew, YD Amber Nude and Silences are others I'd recommend. They're not terribly high on the skanky skale, but there all the same.

Basenotes Plus

How about Kingdom by Alexander McQueen? It's nice and skanky with a really lush rose/sandalwood base. It can be found on eBay for pretty cheap, it's one of my staple scents!
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 21st February 2010 at 07:13 PM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Ava Luxe's Madame X and Chypre Noir are wonderful, but I don't know if they're attainable at the moment.

Salvador Dali: Dali is skanky and cheap

ELdO: Putain des Palaces, Rien, or the nasty Secretions Magnifiques
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    How about Kingdom by Alexander McQueen? It's nice and skanky with a really lush rose/sandalwood base. It can be found on eBay for pretty cheap, it's one of my staple scents!
    Libertine, Kingdom's a great suggestion! I knew I was overlooking some good ones! Thanks!
    VintageVogue, thanks, for the Tabu suggestion, that one might just work.

The ELs might be a touch too aldehydic, though. And while the Silences is just a bitter green to my nose, I have to admit the galbanum does impart some "interesting" depth...never thought of it that way.
    I also found some La Nuit pretty affordably, which has a massive dose of skank, and is wonderful.
    Eau d'Hermes is nice, too. Though I wonder if it's too "unisex".
    Anglomania might be too aldehydic? Anyone?
    Theo Fennel Scent might be too expensive?

hmmmm....
    Last edited by Hillaire; 21st February 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Femme de Rochas (skanky mistress. She freaks out all the housewives in town)
    Bandit EDP (bare butt, thigh high stiletto boots and his beat up leather jacket in the bad part of town)
    Kiehl's Musk (natural skank. her SO's an old hippy, they have a thing for doing it outdoors)
    Diorissimo PARFUM (the parfum concentration is the EDT's evil twin. she dresses in cashmere twinsets and pearls and behaves like a depraved whore behind closed doors)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Libertine, Kingdom's a great suggestion! I knew I was overlooking some good ones! Thanks!
    VintageVogue, thanks, for the Tabu suggestion, that one might just work.

The ELs might be a touch too aldehydic, though. And while the Silences is just a bitter green to my nose, I have to admit the galbanum does impart some "interesting" depth...never thought of it that way.
    I also found some La Nuit pretty affordably, which has a massive dose of skank, and is wonderful.
    Eau d'Hermes is nice, too. Though I wonder if it's too "unisex".
    Anglomania might be too aldehydic? Anyone?
    Theo Fennel Scent might be too expensive?

hmmmm....
    You're welcome! I don't find Anglomania that skanky at all, it's herbal and sweet but not skanky. If your friend dislikes Aldehydes I don't think Anglomania would be her thing.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Ava Luxe- Madame X
    BPAL- Debauchery

These 2 are cheap in the US. $15 for Debauchery and $30 for Madam X. They are both oils and come in 5ml bottles.

Probably out of your price range is the BEST... of course I speak of Mona Di Orio Nuite Noire- the ultimate Skank fragrance. Really, I am not not even close to joking. It screams "LETS HAVE HOT NASTY SEX ALL NIGHT!" Skanks will think you smell skanky when you wear this one.

From The Perfume Posse website:

Skank, glorious Skank — You’re a nice girl or boy? Okay, sure, but that doesn’t mean you can’t embrace your inner sinner from time to time. To assist you in knowing what we are talking about, try some of all of these: Mona di Orio Nuit Noire, Bal a Versailles, Jicky parfum, Delrae Amoureuse, Miller Harris L’Air de Rien, Bella Bellissima Perfect Night.
    Last edited by Handsome Toad; 21st February 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Basenotes Plus

TA- BUUUUUUU (Tabu- classic, cheap and widely available)

Agent Provocateur Strip has no aldehydes. I picked mine up for $20 at one of the discount chain stores

With BaV out of the question, then I'd second Kiehl's Original Musk and Youth Dew Amber Nude and I'll add Smell Bent's fabulous and yummy/skanky Commando and Horny Little Devil (actually a lot of their "smellies" have musky bases).

Commando: "a motley crew of animal musks rounded out with a base of tonka bean absolute; as close as it gets to wearing nothing at all"

Horny Little Devil: "golden amber, black pepper, filthy musk and a touch of cinnamon"

I prefer HLD.

Not really skanky to me, but have some animal/leather: Yatagan, Cabochard, Jolie Madame, and Habit Rouge--all classic, chic, and cheap!
    Last edited by Antaeusintheair; 21st February 2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added Yatagan
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Hillaire

OOh, these are great suggestions. Handsome Toad, so glad you brought up the BPAL, as that's some bang for the buck, and those have intrigued me for some time. Glad to hear an endorsement!!

Lessa
    , you are so right about the Putains Palaces and the Etat line is not that super pricey, now that's a really good one.

Nymph!!! THANKS! Femme was the one that has been at the tip of my proverbial tongue! The "thing" I hoped would pop up on this thread. It's perfect and still so affordable!
    I do, however, think the Bandit has loads of the old fatty aldehydes, though, at least the last time I smelled it.

Anteausintheair,
    Thanks especially for such an exciting recommendation! Indeed I haven't looked into the Smell Bent line, but it's exciting I love all the post post post? ironic nomenclature .

OOh, these are great suggestions. Handsome Toad, so glad you brought up the BPAL, as that's some bang for the buck, and those have intrigued me for some time. Glad to hear an endorsement!!
    Don't get me wrong, I really like some of BPAL's stuff, but a lot of it isn't that great. They make so many different fragrances ( I don't think they even know how many!) there are bound to be a few great frags, a lot of "ok" frags, and even more that just plain suck. Debauchery is the best I have tried, and is definitely Skanky.

Just a note to say I get a giggle every time I see the title of this thread. I know what it means in Basenotes terms, but I can't help but picture you introducing the new fragrance to your friend.

"It's cheap, it's skanky - it's so you!"

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Just a note to say I get a giggle every time I see the title of this thread. I know what it means in Basenotes terms, but I can't help but picture you introducing the new fragrance to your friend.

"It's cheap, it's skanky - it's so you!"

HAHA!! So funny!

I could imagine the thread-title having the inference of : Fragrance for a Cheap Skank!!

I see alot of great suggestions have been made already. A few I'd like to add...

Guerlain Shalimar extrait--it has almost every animalic in it that you can imagine, is plentiful and can be had at a discount from online sellers. As an alternative, the EDP is even more plentiful and available at discounters or in the BN marketplace. I think this will be closest to L'Air de Rien (other than Bal a Versailles) because it is animalics over amber. In fact, the BaV extrait does have some similarities to Shalimar, but is a tad more woody.

Guerlain Jicky--any formulation is a civet skank-fest, the EDT being the most plentiful and affordable, especially from online sellers.

Jo Malone Orange Blossom Cologne--fecal to the max, so much so that I have determined it is not for me. However, it is surely skanky, and the smaller bottles are relatively affordable.

If you go for Tabu, try a cheap vintage from eBay.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd February 2010 at 03:06 AM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I really like some of BPAL's stuff, but a lot of it isn't that great. They make so many different fragrances ( I don't think they even know how many!) there are bound to be a few great frags, a lot of "ok" frags, and even more that just plain suck. Debauchery is the best I have tried, and is definitely Skanky.
    Oh, actually what I meant it was nice to have an endorsement of a particular scent, since the "myriad" offerings (I think official numbers are in the millions.) are so daunting, I fear "diving in" and finding a stinker. I gotcha, don't worry.

(Any other successes? I am super curious about the whimsical, morbid Maerchen scents. I mean... Blood, Seawater, and Cream?? Hot damn!))

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    TA- BUUUUUUU (Tabu- classic, cheap and widely available)

Agent Provocateur Strip has no aldehydes. I picked mine up for $20 at one of the discount chain stores
    Seriously? Which chain? I dig Strip!

Oh, and I heart Tabu. Go for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Seriously? Which chain? I dig Strip!
    I've seen it at TJ Maxx.

Vivienne Westwood Boudoir is skanky to me, and so is Claudie Pierlot Mon Premier, which I've recently seen on eBay for a very reasonable price.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd February 2010 at 04:13 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Socal woman exactly right-

warbles......la la la la la -TJ Maxx- you should go..... end warble. I got it in December
    Last edited by knit at nite; 22nd February 2010 at 04:24 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

Guerlain Jicky--any formulation is a civet skank-fest, the EDT being the most plentiful and affordable, especially from online sellers.
    Threadjack :
    (whines) Why don't I get this from Jicky? To my nose, it smells so prim and powdery on me????

End threadjack.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 22nd February 2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: typo

Oh, actually what I meant it was nice to have an endorsement of a particular scent, since the "myriad" offerings (I think official numbers are in the millions.) are so daunting, I fear "diving in" and finding a stinker. I gotcha, don't worry.

(Any other successes? I am super curious about the whimsical, morbid Maerchen scents. I mean... Blood, Seawater, and Cream?? Hot damn!))
    I haven't tried that many (15 perhaps) and haven't tried the Blood ( a Dragon's Blood flanker). It's supposed to be good ( I spent many hours on their forums reading) along with the Snake Oil (which has been reviewed here) and the Dragon's Blood . I bought Smut, O, Lust, and Debauchery bottles ( I too was looking for "Skank" frags). These were all pretty good, but the Debauchery was the "Dirty" one of the bunch and is one of their few civet frags. One of the samples I really liked is called Poisoned Apple. It's notes are listed as apple, opium, oleander and hemlock. I don't know if or when I could ever wear it out somewhere, but I like to smell it at home.

Their site is a little hard to figure out, but I like the stories that go along with their fragrances. Every full moon they open their storefront in Hollywood for a few hours for sampling and sales. Other than that it's mostly all internet (they do have small disrtibution system of a few retailers with a limited number of scents.)

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I've seen it at TJ Maxx.
    Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Socal woman exactly right-

warbles......la la la la la -TJ Maxx- you should go..... end warble. I got it in December
    Saweet! Should I be so lucky, that it ends up here in Oregon? I so do not need another cool weather fume!

Un profumo affettuoso

You all came up with scents which are really expensive in Europe (apart from Tabu - which cannot be found here, only on Ebay), although - yeah- pretty skanky. How I envy you...
    I'd suggest NIKITA by Slava Saitzev. Soooo long lasting and really cheap. Just like Maroussia. Cheap - very original oriental.
    And how about HALSTON - original??? Also very cheap in the US.

Laura Biagotti Roma, Kenzo Jungle Elephant,

Agree on Vivienne Westwood Boudoir, also Libertine.

SSS Vintage Rose is cheap for niche and dead skanky on me!

Paco Rabanne La Nuit is a monster skankfest if you can find it.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Hillaire

Jale, I am so glad to know Nikita is a skank. I have been wondering about that one! I to try some soon!
    Jacona, Jungle Elephant is SO skanky, and I forget it all the time. Is it affordable? I'll sure check!
    VM Ihate Civet, The La Nuit, monster skankfest, was the winner, and found cheaply on ebay! YEAH!

Lessa
    , you are so right about the Putains Palaces and the Etat line is not that super pricey, now that's a really good one.

Nymph!!! THANKS! Femme was the one that has been at the tip of my proverbial tongue! The "thing" I hoped would pop up on this thread. It's perfect and still so affordable!
    I do, however, think the Bandit has loads of the old fatty aldehydes, though, at least the last time I smelled it.

Anteausintheair,
    Thanks especially for such an exciting recommendation! Indeed I haven't looked into the Smell Bent line, but it's exciting I love all the post post post? ironic nomenclature .
    I only have the vintage Bandit parfum, I don't smell aldehydes in it but I could be wrong. You could also slather yourself with Kiehl's musk lotion and spray Addict on top of that. Oh, that sounds evil, though...

I went to the Ava Luxe site to look around and I'm glad I did. There was one Kama left for sale and I snagged it up for $25. I haven't tried it before, but it's supposed to be a real Skanky one. I'm always on the look out for a good cheap Skank. And a skanky fragrance, too.

The notes are listed as: Exotic musks, Ambergris, Civet, Black Amber, Labdanum Bulgarian Rose absolute.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    I went to the Ava Luxe site to look around and I'm glad I did. There was one Kama left for sale and I snagged it up for $25. I haven't tried it before, but it's supposed to be a real Skanky one. I'm always on the look out for a good cheap Skank. And a skanky fragrance, too.

The notes are listed as: Exotic musks, Ambergris, Civet, Black Amber, Labdanum Bulgarian Rose absolute.
    OOH, Kama indeed! One left? What a score!

OOH, Kama indeed! One left? What a score!
    They'll be more again. I've noticed that something sells out there (Madame X for example) and within a few weeks Serena has more made up for sale. I wish she would go back full swing into the business ( along with many other fans of her work.) Her creations seem to be better than a lot of the crap that the big Houses put out. They would do well to bring her into their stables.

Happy for your La Nuit purchase - you just needed a little nudge in one direction or other, I sense!

: - )
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/