Code of Conduct

Default Which Rose? (Another Rose Q?! - sorry)

I know there seems to be a lot of Rose threads lately, but I'm kinda stuck, and need your help.

I'd like to add a rose scent to my 'drobe. The only one I have now is C&S No. 88. ( I am not including Black Aoud, as that to me is more about the oud / rose combo).

Based on other threads and discussions, I have tried Paestum Rose (which has a "perfect" score in the reviews) - but I find it to be too, um, "fizzy." I have also tried Domenico Caraceni - didn't really love, and also Tremlett Black Tie - which I did like, but found similarities to No. 88.

I just read about Malle's Une Rose, and not familiar with that one. Should I be?

The two that I seem to like now are Amouage Lyric Man - which I think is beautiful. Definitely more on the femme side, despite the name, but I don't care. And then there is Rose 31, which I did not like at first, but is really growing on me.

Of the two, which do you like better, why, when would you wear / how versatile is it?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by funraiser18; 21st February 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Default Re: Which Rose? (Another Rose Q?! - sorry)

I definitely liked Lyric Man better, and I am debating whether I should buy it at the moment!
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

This is worth checking out. It's often over looked. I love the stuff and the quality of ingredients are superb. Here's what Luca Turin had to say, and I agree.

1876 (Histoires de Parfums) ★★★★
    masculine rose $$$
    Unquestionably, and by a huge margin, the best
    Victorian dandy fragrance around: citrus, rose,
    benzoin, spices and animalic notes, all of excellent
    quality, soft, restful, discreet, sweetly melancholy.
    What Floris and Penhaligon’s should have been
    doing all along, had they the good fortune of an
    art director as imaginative and skilled as Gérard
    Ghislain. LT
    Last edited by thebeck; 21st February 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Paestum Rose - Good reviews, what a letdown!
    Rose 31 - Over-hyped, over-praised IMO.

Winner: Lyric Man (what a shocker, eh!) Highly versatile fragrance IMO, especially for a rose-dominated one. I have no problem wearing this one casually, formally, or just anytime I want to be surrounded by a wonderfully pleasant aura!

I like Rose 31. It's got a nice rose note and bit of "dirty." Turns kind of woodsy and spicy. I find it best for going out at night, but I have worn it to work a lot. Keep the dose low and it's okay in an office. I think it's more versatile than Lyric Man.

Lyric man was just a skosh on feminine side to me as well. Maybe the rose a bit too pronounced for my taste. I tested it a couple of times. I could be comfortable wearing it, and wouldn't knock anyone who really likes it. It's a nice scent, high quality and I may cave and pick some up at some point. Love male rose scents. I'd be harder pressed to wear this one to work though.

I got a sample of Malle's Une Rose and sorry if any guys here love it, that one was way too girly for me.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 21st February 2010 at 11:55 PM.

I like both. But if you want rose, you should pick Lyric. Lyric is beautiful and complex, bright and shiny rose. day or night, formal or casual, winter or summer...you can wear it whenever you want. Rose 31...it is not "rose" enough to be named "Rose".
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 22nd February 2010 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Rose 31...it is not "rose" enough to be named "Rose".
    Very true. Probably the reason I like it so much.

I really liked Rose 31 and it too is growing on me
    I tried Pasteum Rosend I thought it was a bit heavy on me, but still nice
    I also recommend trying Montales Aoud Rose, which is really nice
    I have yet to try lyric
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Some other roses to consider:

Tauer's Une Rose Chypree and Incense Rosé
    Les Parfums de Rosine's Twill Rose and Rose d'Homme (though I haven't tried the latter)

Great responses so far - thanks gang.

I don't want to derail my own thread here - but a quick detour..... I think I am pretty committed to one of these two - but is there any reason to consider L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses - or not so much? I have never tried it.

I love florals and have tried dozens of roses by this this point.

My favorite rose by a narrow margin is L'Arte di Gucci. It's a very rich, dark chypre that is strongly animalic and very warm. The musky, rosy, mossy drydown is fantastic and I find it balances reality with abstraction very well for a soliflore ( it's neither "just a rose", nor is the rose placed too far in the background ).

I know just what you mean about Paestum Rose's fizziness. I found the same thing after a while, despite being enormously impressed initially. It wore out its welcome.

Can't comment on Lyric versus 31, though, nor Une Rose. I look forward to trying all three as soon as I can though.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 22nd February 2010 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Great responses so far - thanks gang.

I don't want to derail my own thread here - but a quick detour..... I think I am pretty committed to one of these two - but is there any reason to consider L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses - or not so much? I have never tried it.
    It's definitely worth trying, ESPECIALLY if you like patchouli.

I'll also second PhinClio's suggestion of Une Rose Chypree, as like No. 88, it's an excellent geranium interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Rose 31 - Over-hyped, over-praised IMO.
    No way! I'm a n00b, but I've tried several hundred samples and this is the only one so far that I would describe as being unimprovably scrumtrelescent. Of course it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but a lot of people really like it. It's a must-sample.

Rose Homme (Divine) is a very well-done masculine, dark rose.
    You may also try Dirty Rose by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz (very leathery) or Fleurs de Bulgarie by Creed.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 22nd February 2010 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    No way! I'm a n00b, but I've tried several hundred samples and this is the only one so far that I would describe as being unimprovably scrumtrelescent. Of course it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but a lot of people really like it. It's a must-sample.
    It's very difficult to beat "unimprovably scrumtrelescent!"

I adore Voleur de Roses, but I found it a bit of a downer in a melancholic way... it really altered my mood. Take away the oud from Black Oud and turn down the volume and you have VdR. Cannabis Rose by Fresh is a more upbeat frag and does not smell of bongs and joints. Another house I'd recommend is Ungaro. I, II, and III are interesting, but the one I bought was Diva. I think it's one of Jacques Polge's masterpieces and while the thyme-honey-rose is femme for half an hour (and I like that), I think the chypre drydown is totally unisex. It's the feminine counter-point/part to Polge's Antaeus (which also has a rose heart). [B]Iquitos[B], though discontinued, is also worth seeking out.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Cannabis Rose (Fresh), Rose Ikebana (Hermes) and Rose Pivoine (de Nicolai) are all very wearable by men.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 22nd February 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Rose 31 is my choice of the two.
    I wanted to like Lyric but find it strange and strangely feminine. So much so that I think they sent me the wrong sample (I know it's probably not true). I will be ordering both feminine and masculine versions again just to make sure. There's something in Duchaufour's compositions I just don't enjoy and can't really explain. I had high hopes for Paestum Rose and got the same reaction.
    Rose D'homme is a good choice too. More understated.

Rose Poivree...cant get enough of it.

one other scent which is quite underrated IMHO is, Lorenzo Villoresi Alamut. it's bit powdery and has a milky vibe. it by no means is a rose solifore, but, is a lovely combination of rose and rosewood. it reminds me of Cadjmere a bit.

My favorite rose scents for men are, in order preference:

(1) Le Labo Rose 31 - sexiest incense and rose scent there is!

(2) Midnight Oud by Juliette Has a Gun - dark and mysterious oud, roses, saffron!

(3) By Killian Rose Oud - The nicest pure rose scent around, but it is priced very high!

(4) Golden Aoud by Montale - a well blended masculine rose scent with saffron, oud, rose, vetiver and patchouli.

(5) Lyric for Men, Amouge - Fantastic subtle blend of rose, spices (nutmeg, saffron etc) Omani Frankincense and subtle green notes.

(6) Black Tie, Washington Tremlett by Forester - wonderful masculine British rose. This one is refined, more wearable and all around better version of C&S No. 88, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Rose Poivree...cant get enough of it.

one other scent which is quite underrated IMHO is, Lorenzo Villoresi Alamut. it's bit powdery and has a milky vibe. it by no means is a rose solifore, but, is a lovely combination of rose and rosewood. it reminds me of Cadjmere a bit.
    Rose Porvree is my favorite Rose scent

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    It's very difficult to beat "unimprovably scrumtrelescent!"
    Well, now it can only disappoint. I hope I didn't ruin it for you.

As Luca Turin says, it [Rose 31] smells like carrot juice, so don't let that be a surprise. (His review was more or less "What the &#*%?!! This 'rose' fragrance smells like carrot juice!")

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    Well, now it can only disappoint. I hope I didn't ruin it for you.

As Luca Turin says, it [Rose 31] smells like carrot juice, so don't let that be a surprise. (His review was more or less "What the &#*%?!! This 'rose' fragrance smells like carrot juice!")
    Luca Turin, the Simon Cowell of fragrances? More like spicy carrot soup sprinkled with sandalwood served in a freshly sanded cedar bowl.
    Last edited by adonis; 22nd February 2010 at 10:53 PM.

Yeah, I don't get the carrot thing myself...

King Fahed blend by Arabian Oud - if you can afford it. It wipes the floor with any other rose frag I've ever smelled. I believe everyone should try this at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    King Fahed blend by Arabian Oud - if you can afford it. It wipes the floor with any other rose frag I've ever smelled. I believe everyone should try this at least once.
    3ml for £650!
    Someday maybe........