Code of Conduct

Default Should I get Sex Panther?

I feel pretty good about my cologne collection at the moment. I try to get a wide variety
    for different seasons and most of the common types of notes. However, I keep thinking
    about some of the notes mentioned in Sex Panther (the for sale version, not the
    movie version, which would be nasty).
    It mentions some rather intrigueing notes, like pine and rich mahogany.
    As a blind purchase, it wouldn't be too pricey, at about $40.

I wouldn't want to own it just for the novelty. I want something that is actually
    OK for everyday office wear. I see one post on basenotes, which was positive.
    I'm really hoping to hear whether this is a unique and bottle worthy purchase, or
    is it just another ho-hum thing that doesn't warrant consideration.

Default Re: Should I get Sex Panther?

Yes, get it and tell us about it.
    We only have one review.
    And at the top:

"Basenotes says...

Sex Panther is a fictional fragrance from the movie Anchorman, except it isn't fictional anymore, they have made it into a real fragrance. 60% of the time, it works every time. "

I love the math. Personally I'm thinking of getting Tiberius by Star Trek, as I didn't see " Anchorman" plus it would certify my film cult nerdyness, besides there's only one review of it, too!

The notes on Sex Panther sound interesting (mahogany?) but then I thought the same thing about some Banana Republic offering whose name I can't recall, and it was disappointing. I think it was supposed to have black walnut or red pine, or some such thing.

Still for only $40 . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 22nd February 2010 at 01:44 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

If the notes pyramid strikes your fancy, and you don't mind utter disappointment, then by all means go for it!

After all, part of the high is in the chase, no?

If you want a reaction like that in the movie, I'd suggest Ajmal Musk Gazelle. Seriously. I had to get the sample vial out of my home, it's THAT strong.

Of course you you should get Sex Panther. How could you not? :-)

I can't find it now but I saw on the internet that someone bought this cologne and made their own box with a real working panther growl by using one of those recordable Christmas cards.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 22nd February 2010 at 06:36 AM.

A pretty safe bet on getting disappointed. But then, whats $40 for a few days suspense?
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ŕ un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

A friend of mine bought a bottle of it just before christmas when he was visiting friends in LA, not because he's a frag fan but cos he loves the film so much. Unfortunately he bought it in LA at the duty free so didn't pack it in his main luggage and it was confiscated by UK customs when he got back. So I've no idea what it smells like.

Remember...it is a very reliable scent..works %60 percent of the time...EVERYTIME!
    Last edited by Balavassassin; 22nd February 2010 at 01:45 PM.
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Perhaps the reason the UK confiscated Sex Panther is because it is
    listed as one of the 9 countries where it is actually illegal! Oh, sweet irony!

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to buy a scent with bits of real panther for only $40.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Did anyone ever try it? The notes actually look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Did anyone ever try it? The notes actually look good.
    Perhaps not. I think most of us perceive this to be an attempt to cash in on the name established in the movie in order to sell a cheap product to gullible men at a huge markup. I'd guess it's at least wearable, but might smell inordinately cheap. It occurs to me this was not created as a perfume as much as it was a novelty item. The packaging, marketing and advertising were primary. The scent was secondary and irrelevant.

Other than the novelty factor to get a cheap laugh, I'd guess most of us don't want to tell anyone we're wearing Sex Panther.

Guess you feel the same way about

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It occurs to me this was not created as a perfume as much as it was a novelty item.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Guess you feel the same way about
    Sort of. But I have met the nose behind Gendarme. He was already an established perfumer before that was introduced.

I'd say he did it to try and draw attention to his fragrances, and generate some sales, but it's probably not an awful scent. He'd probably be the first to admit it was gimmicky. I don't know if he still makes it. I see it's not listed on the website.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 28th May 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Winner: Thread Title Of The Day.