Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which is the better vetiver, Puig or L'Occitane?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Puig

10 38.46%
  • L'Occitane

16 61.54%

Arrow The Better Vetiver: Puig vs. L'Occitane

Which of these vetivers do you prefer and why?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: The Better Vetiver: Puig vs. L'Occitane

No contest - L'Occitane is the clear winner.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Indeed, not even close.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

L'Occitane

L'Occitane again. Having said that, from what I remember, I actually quite liked the Puig one. Good coming from me seeing as how I'm not really a vetyver fan, especially as Puig was more of a classic smoky vetyver (I prefer the fresher ones).

Is the Puig one still available? I used to see it everywhere in cheap and indie chemists, but I haven't seen it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    L'Occitane again. Having said that, from what I remember, I actually quite liked the Puig one. Good coming from me seeing as how I'm not really a vetyver fan, especially as Puig was more of a classic smoky vetyver (I prefer the fresher ones).

Is the Puig one still available? I used to see it everywhere in cheap and indie chemists, but I haven't seen it for years.
    Vetiver de Puig is on eBay for around 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I second his thought.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I second his thought.
    Why is it better in your opinion?

I owned the Puig briefly and traded it. I just thought it was pretty bland. The lavender note was pronounced with me, and the blending of lavender and vetiver just didnt work on my skin.
    I own the L'Occitane, and honestly, I am bored by it at this point (it's on my sale/swap list). The spices just seem to overwhelm on my skin, but I think that is just a sensitivity that I have - Either my nose or my skin seems to amplify clove, cinnamon, and vanilla. In this one the clove note is just a little too harsh. No one else mentions or probably notices it.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I don't even think of VdP as a "vetiver frag," really. When I want some vetiver that I can tolerate, I reach for M; Men. I haven't tried the L'Occitane so I can't compare, but VdP is a nicely blended frag with a vetiver note. It's not like the strong vetiver frags, such as Encre Noir.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 22nd February 2010 at 06:45 PM.

I have both and I prefer Vetyver by L'Occitane for being stronger, spicier and for having a natural green feeling. I also think that Vétiver de Puig is a bit dated and its vetiver is hard to notice.

Only tried l'occitane vetiver once, but I wasn't impressed. The vetiver was gone in twenty minutes, and all that was left was nutmeg, which I'm not really that fond of it seems. I will try it again sometime probably, since I haven't found a favorite vetiver yet.

L'Occitane, by far. In Puig's Vetiver, the vetiver is hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Only tried l'occitane vetiver once, but I wasn't impressed. The vetiver was gone in twenty minutes, and all that was left was nutmeg, which I'm not really that fond of it seems.
    Vetiver and nutmeg are the notes that stand out for me as well, and I get decent longevity from both.

Of all things, it's Polo Double Black that would not be in my collection if I'd bought l'Occitane Vetyver first.

I bought Vetiver de Puig because of the price ($19.99) and longevity and love it! It smells exactly like Guerlain but without the smoked tobacco I hated. I have never smelled Guerlain's Extreme version, but I doubt that it is better than this!

Along with the help I received here, I read the following thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/221...-cheap-vetiver

Chalk this one up as another gem I would never have found without basenotes! Thank you!
    Last edited by Spray; 28th February 2010 at 04:03 PM.

If it were the original Vetyver by L'Occitane I would easily choose it over the Puig. The reformulated Vetyver by L'Occitane seems to be more about spices, and wood than it does about Vetiver, so I'm going to have to swim against the tide here, and go with the Puig.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

For what each was/is intended to do, I believe that Vetiver de Puig is the better fragrance. This was developed as a true masculine eau de cologne; vetiver presented in a clean, refreshing, barbershop context, available in a splash format, which is what I have. I also have the L'Occitane, which if you know L'Occitane at all, is intended to be a mid-tier sporty luxury unisex fragrance. While a good overall effort, it is awash in a sea of similarly intended vetiver fragrances.

Vetiver de Puig was and continues to be more unique in its context than the L'Occitane, and for that reason it gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    For what each was/is intended to do, I believe that Vetiver de Puig is the better fragrance. This was developed as a true masculine eau de cologne; vetiver presented in a clean, refreshing, barbershop context, available in a splash format, which is what I have. I also have the L'Occitane, which if you know L'Occitane at all, is intended to be a mid-tier sporty luxury unisex fragrance. While a good overall effort, it is awash in a sea of similarly intended vetiver fragrances.

Vetiver de Puig was and continues to be more unique in its context than the L'Occitane, and for that reason it gets my vote.
    It's so great to have you, King Vetiver, contribute to this thread. Your wonderful reviews helped me find the Puig. I also have the splash, and am VERY liberal applying it. Thanks, wicozani.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    It's so great to have you, King Vetiver, contribute to this thread. Your wonderful reviews helped me find the Puig. I also have the splash, and am VERY liberal applying it. Thanks, wicozani.
    You're absolutely welcome, Spray, and thanks! I'm no King of Vetiver, but more akin to a member of the Knight's Vetiver Round Table. A number of us really love this note and have considerable experience with its various iterations. Isn't it great to still be splashing some cologne on, especially in the summertime!? Long live the cologne splash!

L' Occitane for me...

If you're going to revive a dead thread from 4 years ago, at least have the decency to revive one that's not also a poll.
    Last edited by caferacer; 16th April 2014 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't even think of VdP as a "vetiver frag," really..
    Are you kidding me????
    VdP is one of the most honest Vetivers in the market, You can really smell the vetiver without the strong spices, tobacco or leather that are characteristic of most "so called" vetivers

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I bought Vetiver de Puig because of the price ($19.99) and longevity and love it! It smells exactly like Guerlain but without the smoked tobacco I hated.
    Right on, a vetiver that is not hidden behind a strong tobacco note,

Too bad "Indian Vetiver" was discontinued, to me that was the best vetiver, period. But since Indian Vetiver is not longer in the market, I could settle for VdP
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 16th April 2014 at 01:32 PM.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

L'Occitane for sure.

Out of the two - L'Occitane✔️
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "