Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Favorites of JhaG...

Needless to say, I am inspired by this house!
    It's been a wonderful, eye-opening discovery, particularly as I had misgivings for some time, put off by the "Indie" pop culture references and ironically-filigreed, uebergauche packaging.
    I was amused rather than offended, but did not --for whatever reason -- imagine the scents would be nice to smell; I was not even curious to try them out!

Well, I am delighted to be proven wrong. I did, through force, begin to try their perfumes, and I haven't -- thus far --met a JhaG I don't adore. (Lady Vengeance is my reigning favorite.)

So my question is: what are you favorites from the line, thoughts on the line? Etc.?

Has anyone here tried Calamity Jane?
    Last edited by Hillaire; 22nd February 2010 at 06:05 AM.

Default Re: Favorites of JhaG...

I <3 Citizen Queen - a very sparkling aldehydic fragrance that tapers into a rosey leathery skank that I adore. So much so, I have 2 bottles that my wife and I still manage to squabble over.

I have a sample of Calamity Jane en route as we speak, and will write something up when I have the chance.

I have Citizen Queen and I adore the take on rose and leather. I understand Romano Ricci made this scent himself, but I may be wrong. (The other scents are made by the venerable nose Kurkdjian.)

The JHaG scents originally started with a rose theme, but new scents are branching off to other notes, such as the aoud scent and Calamity J.

I did not find Calamity J bottle worthy. It was touted as a "masculine 'dandy' scent for women" (whatever that means...) and is not rose-based. It struck me as a "generic masculine" with some woods, a little vetiver, a little clove, a little patchouli...

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...alamity_J.html

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...alamity_j.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 22nd February 2010 at 02:25 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I <3 Citizen Queen - a very sparkling aldehydic fragrance that tapers into a rosey leathery skank that I adore. So much so, I have 2 bottles that my wife and I still manage to squabble over.
    Interesting. Aldehydes and rose and leather make me think "Iquitos" - are the two comparable?

I havent had much exposure to Iquitos Galamb, so i cant draw any parallels Im afraid.
    But Ive always said Citizen Queen is the shocking lovechild of Agent Provocateur and Chanel No.5.

I am a big fan of Midnight Oud ffrom this line.

Here is the review of Calamity J I posted in the SotD thread a couple of weeks ago.

Juliette Has a Gun Calamity J

Romano Ricci has used the iconic Juliet of “Romeo and Juliet” as the inspiration for most of the fragrances in the Juliette Has A Gun line. The first three Miss Charming, Lady Vengeance, and Citizen Queen were all takes on rose and very well done. The first two were composed by Francis Kurkdjian, with Citizen Queen, Romano Ricci took over the reins of designing the perfumes.

Romano Ricci is the great grandson of Nina Ricci and grandson of Robert Ricci who is the man behind the Nina Ricci fragrances. In many interviews he gleefully proclaims himself a rule breaker and in the case of the latest in the Juliet episodes, 2009’s Calamity J, he claims that this fragrance has no top notes. So what does that mean? The fragrance has a beginning as all must but this doesn’t have the usual sparkly light top notes one frequently experiences and it gets right down to business making this the most masculine of the Juliette Has A Gun fragrances to date.

So while Calamity J has no top notes per se what you first smell when spraying it on is a very restrained patchouli which is quickly joined by iris and amber. This makes a surprisingly nice start as the patchouli has equal footing with the cool of the iris and the warmth of the amber making this a lovely study in contrasts which lingers long enough to appreciate all of the pieces as well as the whole together. Calamity J slowly progresses onward to a base of musk with the slightest hint of vanilla to add, once again, sweet contrast to the musk.

Calamity J has above average longevity and modest sillage on me.

If the rose themed early fragrances of Juliette Has A Gun have not been worth your seeking out, hie thee over to your nearest perfumerie because Calamity J is something different and well worth the trip.

Un profumo affettuoso

My daughter is a huge fan of Juliette has a gun -and tested all the scents in the range. Lady Vengeance is her favourite, followed by Midnight Oud. I bought Lady Vengeance for her as a present two years ago because I liked both scent and packaging - ideal for young girls starting out familiarizing themselves with high-quality scents.
    Thanks to Summerville Metro Man for his description of Calamity Jane - something I have not yet tesetd myself - but soon will.

The only scent I haven't tried from this line is Miss Charming.
    Lady V- I'll circle back to this because it was my first exposure to a strong Patchouli note, which I wasn't rady for at the time. After liking Kurkdjian's Lumierre Noir pour femme, a Different Companies Sublime Balkiss, and Guerlain's Chypre Fatal, I"m ready to return for a second sniff.

Midnight Oud- I almost wish I bought this instead of Tom Ford's Oud Wood (I think I sent you my sample of this). This is one of my favorite ouds, but I think I remember it petering out after a while, which Oud Wood did not do

citizen Q- This was my 'Happy Birthday to me' scent...hehe

Calamity J- ? for you- in what situation would you wear Bal a versailles, Jicky, Shalimar? this is the setting for this fragrance

These are good products. I found a place up in Washington that periodically runs 15% off specials on this line, I'll look to see if I can refind that for you. :-) Kari

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    But Ive always said Citizen Queen is the shocking lovechild of Agent Provocateur and Chanel No.5.
    I love this description!

SommervilleMetroMan and Primrose, thanks for the reviews and opinions of Calamity Jane. I am having a hard time imagining it, better just order some!

BayKat, you did send me the sample! I love the Tom Ford and The JHag equally, but feel more comfortable, personally, with the JhaG.

Re: Lady Vengeance, does anyone besides me get a massive hit of muguet at first? Is my nose insane?