Code of Conduct

Smile Caron Bellodgia--reformulation vs vintage, aging?

Any opinions on the reformulation vs vintage? (I am guessing there are a couple of people who are going to cry because I'm asking this, I'm sorry!)

Also, wondering, what notes do perfumes usually LOSE as they age? Bellodgia in all its forms (parfum, edt, edp, edc, etc.), including the reformulation, is my grandma's favorite perfume, the only one she ever uses actually, but I swapped for an new (pretty sure its the reformulation) EDT bottle and it smells a little weird to me. Her new bottles always smelled about the same to me as her old vintage ones though, so the reformulation didn't bother me.
    I'm wondering if perhaps, (since my grandmother "hoarded" Bellodgia and I'm not sure how well-stored her bottles were) I should just leave it alone and let it "age"? (I know that seems a little weird, but I was wondering if it might lose the notes I'm smelling that I don't like...)

Any opinions, suggestions, and help will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by kayley123; 24th February 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Caron Bellogdia--reformulation vs vintage, aging?

The reformulation does have a certain off character to it, one that the older did not. If your grandma hoarded it, the bottles probably are from before the reformulation. Trust me on this, I have loved Bellodgia for a v-e-r-y long time and now it is a different bird.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Default Re: Caron Bellodgia--reformulation vs vintage, aging?

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    The reformulation does have a certain off character to it, one that the older did not. If your grandma hoarded it, the bottles probably are from before the reformulation. Trust me on this, I have loved Bellodgia for a v-e-r-y long time and now it is a different bird.
    I know her older bottles are definitely the old formulation, but my mom has bought her new bottles within the last 5 years, and also within the last 10, and then all smell about the same to me, on myself, and on her. So I'm guessing at least a couple of her bottles are the new formulation.
    Last edited by kayley123; 24th February 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Post Thanks / Like

I never liked Bellogdia in edt, finding it weak and watery. This is going back to the 90s, I adore the edp which to me has the true character of what Bellodgia should be. I have no idea what the current version smells like to be honest.
    Last edited by donna255; 1st February 2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    DONNA

Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to tell me what you think!
    Last edited by kayley123; 24th February 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh its the top notes which will disappear first. I have vintage 1960 Fleurs de Rocaille parfum and the top notes are faint but it develops beautifully and the middle and base are still glorious.

Also a word of warning, if the ingredients have changed slightly in the reformulations not as high quality. Then aging will not bring it up to what you remember or know from the older versions
    DONNA

I got a bottle of vintage Bellodgia EDC, and have found that I love it more than the reform...it is spicier, whereas the new one has an odd smell to it--something somewhat sour/bitter/more powdery?