Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Dia A Scent To Faint To Judge

Dia has puzzled me since I first tried it last year, it is one of those rare scents that I just cannot get a angle on it. I tried to test this fragrance again by giving myself liberal sprays to my wrists and neck and I can hardly detect the fragrance to make any kind of personal judgement.

I even have two different samples from two different places and all I get is faint smell of a sweet aroma. Then its gone but the scent is not strong or distinct enough to form any kind of opinion. And when I see reviews of how good people find it I get frustrated because all I get from it is a Houdini trick.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 22nd February 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Default Re: Amouage Dia A Scent To Faint To Judge

I'm heavily anosmic to it as well - at least I doubt it is supposed to be so weak.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Dia is indeed a strange one. Dia is not a weak scent, by any estimate. It is however not loud in the Gold (Men/Women) sense. I find that while it acts out in its quiet manner, its scent is always around me like an aura, a rather beautiful one. And for an amazingly long time. It is one of those scents the wearer may or may not smell after a while, but people around you definitely will. It is one of those scents i wear when i am in the (rare) mood to be scent-discrete. I have not worn it in cold weather before but i would imagine that heat and humidity play a part in amping up Dia. Could this be the way it is preferred in the heat of Oman?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Me, too. I like it, but I can barely smell it and it seems to disappear quickly. This is disappointing to me as I like most of the other Amouage offerings, which don't present this problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I'm heavily anosmic to it as well - at least I doubt it is supposed to be so weak.

I can detect it very well even after 7-8 hours. It does need liberal sprays though.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Interesting, I've never had longevity or sillage problems with it. I must not be anosmic to it's main components.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I've never fainted while judging a scent...

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    LOL. Wiseguy.

Don't be discouraged, Jack. I don't think you're anosmic. But if you're used to 'loud' or 'strong' scents you may find subtle blends or fragrances with more modest projection, harder to detect. I'm a fan of subtle scents and even then I found Dia rather challenging if I were to decipher it note for note. IMO it's just as useful if not more so to get an overall feel or character of the scent. Spray some on fabric and leave it in a room ( a technique even Luca Turin and Sanchez use). Return to the room an hour or two later to see if you can catch some whiffs of it.

Alternatively, leave it aside as you continue on your scent journey. You'll be surprised at how fine-tuned your nose has become when you finally return to test this same scent.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 22nd February 2010 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    LOL. Wiseguy.

Don't be discouraged, Jack. I don't think you're anosmic. But if you're used to 'loud' or 'strong' scents you may find subtle blends or fragrances with more modest projection, harder to detect. I'm a fan of subtle scents and even then I found Dia rather challenging if I were to decipher it note for note. IMO it's just as useful if not more so to get an overall feel or character of the scent. Spray some on fabric and leave it in a room ( a technique even Luca Turin and Sanchez use). Return to the room an hour or two later to see if you can catch some whiffs of it.

Alternatively, leave it aside as you continue on your scent journey. You'll be surprised at how fine-tuned your nose has become when you finally return to test this same scent.
    Been there, done that . . . and I have some pretty ethereal numbers in the arsenal. I am actually relieved to see others comment on this because I notice it when it goes on (and believe me I have tried modest to nuclear applications) and then 'poooft' where did that go?

Very interested to see if there is something in there I'm anosmic to - never encountered this before (but then how would I know?). I'm going to ask a few people a few hours in and see if they are getting something I'm not . . . thanks for the post!

In my experience, Dia is a sneaky one. I thought it was burned off but someone in my office asked what I was wearing at the end of the day.

Basenotes Plus

Olfactory fatigue to blame perhaps? But it's not the first time I heard of lingering yet fleeting sillage even when the frag seems to have 'burnt' off from the skin. Perhaps there's some left on the fabric?

It's possible,of course, but this one is a puzzler . . . I intentionally sprayed wide (wrist and shirt cuff) and no real difference.Will give it shot tomorrow and see what happens, it's a few weeks since I last wore it.

I used to think it was quite weak and sprayed two large sprays (the old dagger bottles gave a wonderfully long spray) on my chest one summer. Some hours later, I was teaching in quite a small room. I left the room for about ten minutes and came back to a heavy scent of Dia in the air - I suddenly realised how powerful it is. However, the powerful bit is very different to the initial notes; it can be deceptive.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

You know what....I tested that scent last week..along with the new Bond no.9 Oud. The lady sprayed Dia about 5x on my left arm, I can still get whiffs of it in my jacket sleeve. It wore too close to skin..but it was a very pleasing soft floral powder aura going on. I can still smell it 8hrs later. The bond ran strong off one spray for 10 hrs...which is a nice rose oud combo..oud friendly..point is, I cant smell that one on my jacket..as it strong the whole time it was on me!!! Weird!!

Yes this scent is a disappointment, because if it was stronger I think I would love it
    but its longevity and sillage are almost non existent
    such a shame for Amouage
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

When I read the title of the thread I thought some Judge fainted in the courtroom when he/she smelled Amouage Dia on someone

Last edited by achanna; 27th February 2010 at 11:17 PM.
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

It's very strong on me. I wonder if this is the same type of thing that people have with Chanel pour Monsieur, which seems very 'weak' but perhaps isn't. Maybe because Chanel PM is a cypre? Don't know what causes it with Dia

Love the fragrance, peronally

I have the exact same problem. While Gold lasts quite a bit, Dia, even when applied liberaly to fabric and body is gone within no time at all. I love the scent but on me it just vanishes. I have the old style bottle.
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

It's a deceptive fragrance. It starts tamely, but builds to something quite pronounced, especially in heat.

To those who think it's weak, please try it on very hot day. You should notice it bloom, and you'll catch wafts of it throughout the day. Once you understand it, you'll find you don't have to apply as much as you thought.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I happen to be wearing Dia right now. My skin normally eats fragrances and I've found very few that have any decent projection and/or longevity on me. Dia, however, is an exception. It is definitely one that requires liberal application, as I generally apply up to 8 sprays (3 under shirt, 2 to each arm, 1 to the neck). Perfect projection and lasts all day on me.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

PErhaps it really is wheather related, it wont be the first fragrance to change its behaviour depending on the wheater. Then again, my skin even eats black aoud it wasnt like that when i started this quest though, in the beginning black aoud would last the whole day and then some. but now? 5 hours? maybe?
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

Try putting on cotton wool and tucking it into clothes . I wear a beaded scent pocket with it on too . I have no idea if that is what they are called but it's a necklace that opens and has vents in from the beading.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Try putting on cotton wool and tucking it into clothes . I wear a beaded scent pocket with it on too . I have no idea if that is what they are called but it's a necklace that opens and has vents in from the beading.
    ...Or you could try soaking your thong in Dia before wearing. Works especially well in humid weather.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240