Code of Conduct

Question A "thicker" Aramis 900...maybe something Middle Eastern?

Aramis 900 is pretty much my favorite scent in existence. The geranium / floral / patchouli / vetiver combo just feels so old school and formal, so traditional, herbal, earthy, and solemn. It is often compared to Aromatics Elixir, but I don’t find them exactly the same, more like brother and sister…I feel Aramis 900 is less sharply floral (especially in the top notes), and also more woody and smoky to my nose.

I’m happy with Aramis 900, but I’m ideally looking for a stronger, “thicker” interpretation of this scent. I’m thinking there might be a traditional Middle-Eastern fragrance that fits the bill? (Maybe I’m way off here, I don’t have any experience with Middle Eastern perfumery)

Even in Western perfumery…anyone know of anything like this?

Note: (I’ve also tried some rose/patchouli combos like Voleur de Roses, Rose D’homme, and also Black Aoud…but I don’t feel these really compare to the feeling of Aramis 900, they are great frags but totally different. PdN’s Patchouli Homme is one that I have my eye on though.)

Thanks for any suggestions!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Default Re: A "thicker" Aramis 900...maybe something Middle Eastern?

This is a fragrance I've been curious to try for a while. Unfortunately, never having tried it, I'm not quite sure what to suggest.

No. 88 - if you haven't tried this one yet, do. It has geranium, patchouli, and rose, and it's quite deep and rich to my nose.

Gandhara - jasmine, patchouli, musk, castoreum. Floral but also very dark and animalic.

Soir de Lune - very complex, old-school chypre, with rose, patchouli, vetiver, and moss all very present.

While its not entirely similar, a floral leathery smoky "middle-eastern" style perfume I love is Amouage's Tribute Attar.

I swear, I think I mention it every other post, but I am in love with it.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    This is a fragrance I've been curious to try for a while. Unfortunately, never having tried it, I'm not quite sure what to suggest.

No. 88 - if you haven't tried this one yet, do. It has geranium, patchouli, and rose, and it's quite deep and rich to my nose.

Gandhara - jasmine, patchouli, musk, castoreum. Floral but also very dark and animalic.

Soir de Lune - very complex, old-school chypre, with rose, patchouli, vetiver, and moss all very present.
    Galamb, who makes Gandhara? That sounds like an awesome scent, with those notes you mention.

The one that I would suggest is one that you mentioned in your post: Aromatics Elixir. I would definitely call it "thicker," and I love it.

But perhaps also Miss Balmain? Miss Dior?

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Galamb, who makes Gandhara? That sounds like an awesome scent, with those notes you mention.
    Neil Morris. I just love the stuff; it's my favorite scent by him so far. It just smells so dark, heavy, and animalic; it's unlike any other jasmine - or for that matter, floral - I've tried. Definitely a try-before-you-buy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Neil Morris. I just love the stuff; it's my favorite scent by him so far. It just smells so dark, heavy, and animalic; it's unlike any other jasmine - or for that matter, floral - I've tried. Definitely a try-before-you-buy, though.
    I have to laugh a bit, Galamb_Borong, since your initial description of Gandhara's notes ("jasmine, patchouli, musk, and castoreum - Floral but also dark and animalic") will so 'bait' shamu1 that he will most likely be compelled (I would bet money) to buy Gandhara blind. If I had to write an advertising campaign to get shamu1 to buy a fragrance, I would probably describe it just as you described Gandhara! LOL!!!

By the way, Gandhara sounds like a real winner to me too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    I have to laugh a bit, Galamb_Borong, since your initial description of Gandhara's notes ("jasmine, patchouli, musk, and castoreum - Floral but also dark and animalic") will so 'bait' shamu1 that he will most likely be compelled (I would bet money) to buy Gandhara blind. If I had to write an advertising campaign to get shamu1 to buy a fragrance, I would probably describe it just as you described Gandhara! LOL!!!

By the way, Gandhara sounds like a real winner to me too!!!
    Uh-oh. Here's hoping I don't receive hatemail saying "I smell like flowers in a compost heap, and it's all your fault!"

Un profumo affettuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    The one that I would suggest is one that you mentioned in your post: Aromatics Elixir. I would definitely call it "thicker," and I love it.

But perhaps also Miss Balmain? Miss Dior?
    This is it. Both were created by B. Chant (Aramis 900 and Aromatics Elixier).
    You might also love ETRO NEW TRADITION. Very similar in structure and sillage to Aramis 900, but not as "thick".

Caron's Third Man? I see you have PuH and Yatagan. I think you'd love it.

Also Zino Davidoff.

Both have floral/herbal masculine vibe, with the Caron being refined and a bit smokey and Zino more raw and lusty with lots of rose and patchouli (but that's not all it is).
    Last edited by Antaeusintheair; 23rd February 2010 at 03:39 PM.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Not terribly floral, but I would recommend Vero Onda extrait.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Of all suggested, I have tried quite a few:

I own Etro New Tradition, and I love it! I absolutely agree that it is like a lighter version of Aramis 900, but also muskier, with a nice white musk base…very very comfortable.

I have also tried:
    Zino
    Third Man
    C&S No. 88 (current formulation)
    Onda Extrait
    …and wasn’t successful with any of them.

But I haven’t tried:
    Tribute
    Gandhara
    Soir De Lune
    …so I’ll have to get going and order some samples!

Keep the ideas coming if you think of anything else!...
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

What about some of the other Bernard Chant compositions--Cabochard and EL Azuree? Bandit is very Aramis-like in the top notes, but I'm not sure you'd like the powdery base. Even so, that may be worth a try, just for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    What about some of the other Bernard Chant compositions--Cabochard and EL Azuree? Bandit is very Aramis-like in the top notes, but I'm not sure you'd like the powdery base. Even so, that may be worth a try, just for fun
    Asha, I actually have ventured down that path, sampling Cabochard, Azuree (and the other EL's as well), and Bandit (EDT)...and while I didn't find my ideal "thicker, heavier" version of Aramis 900, I found a really great, versatile scent that I wear very often that I'm sure was also created by Bernard Chant...Homme De Gres!
    And now that you metion it, I did really like Bandit and did find it Aramis-like, its powdery-smooth drydown seeming very "Guerlain-like" to me...you're reminding me that I need to seek out the EDP version I've heard so much about! Thanks!