Code of Conduct

Default Libertine by V. Westwood - disappointing!

Got a very recent bottle (from what I can tell) of Libertine some weeks back. It came from a source above any suspicion, it was sealed in its box, etc. It has the list of things that are supposedly killing us on its side, so it's obvious I did not get a bottle that was from this scent's very first years on the market.

Beautiful graphics on the box, gorgeous bottle with the globe and crown decoration.

But the juice. Big blast of grapefruit on the open, then something tangy and floral (the viburnum?) It softens into kind of an mushy, indistinct heart note still carrying the citrus vibe, and then it dies.

Not terrible, but not anything else either. It was almost not there at all. This must have been butchered big time, because the persons I know who wore Libertine regularly spoke highly of its quirky character and many facets. I do know that Libertine was never at any point a sillage or longevity monster like Boudoir, but this was ridiculous.

Anyone have experience with this scent and want to weigh in? Thanks.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 22nd February 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Default Re: Libertine by V. Westwood - disappointing!

This was always an EDT, if memory serves, and a very nice warm weather scent with notes of citrus. Not very long lasting, however. Very unisex, but, as you noted, not the sillage monster nor as enjoyable as Boudoir.

Odd name of this scent..."libertine" in English is usu. associated with masculine behaviour...such as John Wilmot, the 17th century Earl of Rochester, portrayed in a movie by Johnny Depp. Of course, in French, one has "libertin" and "libertine."

I gave this a neutral review due to poor longevity:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID10213301.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd February 2010 at 12:18 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I put some on hours ago, coincidentally just before I read this thread, and have been noting that Libertine has great potency for me. Not a lot of changes, but sweet persistence.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I put some on hours ago, coincidentally just before I read this thread, and have been noting that Libertine has great potency for me. Not a lot of changes, but sweet persistence.
    Quarry, it must be different on my skin. Perhaps the time of year and temperature? I *do* like this scent, but tend to keep it for home use.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love Libertine, very unusual scent - that counts in these days of mostly similar fragrances.

Don't give up on it! I have a recent bottle too, and it took a few tries before I got to like it. For its name it isn't much of a shocker, and mushy too like you said. I've found it works best in warm, humid weather. You could try a slight spray before exercise (or cooking in a hot kitchen!), it might be better on you then. Good luck! :-)
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

Thanks, all. I must admit that I did not feel like giving Libertine any second chances - one of the very few that I almost immediately gifted away. Maybe I'll give him an opportunity to earn his keep, but I've turned into a very stern taskmistress!

Btw, I did not buy Libertine completely blind. I smelled it maybe five or six times and tested it on skin. It didn't strike me as HG material for my definitions, but it was intriguing, so I was willing to take a chance. Compared to what I tested previously, this iteration of Libertine is like a shadow - a dialed-in, faxed version. Sigh. I would rather pass judgment on scents that are overtly horrid than those that are marching into mediocrity from reformulation and regulation.

O.k., I'll push Libertine to the back of the pack and let him struggle to the fore later in the year. I adore the tiny "dancing devil" logo on the box - anyone else notice that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Thanks, all. I must admit that I did not feel like giving Libertine any second chances - one of the very few that I almost immediately gifted away. Maybe I'll give him an opportunity to earn his keep, but I've turned into a very stern taskmistress!

Btw, I did not buy Libertine completely blind. I smelled it maybe five or six times and tested it on skin. It didn't strike me as HG material for my definitions, but it was intriguing, so I was willing to take a chance. Compared to what I tested previously, this iteration of Libertine is like a shadow - a dialed-in, faxed version. Sigh. I would rather pass judgment on scents that are overtly horrid than those that are marching into mediocrity from reformulation and regulation.

O.k., I'll push Libertine to the back of the pack and let him struggle to the fore later in the year. I adore the tiny "dancing devil" logo on the box - anyone else notice that?
    I think this is Pan, a woodland god of the Greeks, or a generic satyr, somewhat of a male nymph, so to speak. Both are part-man, part-goat and represent humankind's animal nature (horns and hooves)--they're symbols of sensuality and sometimes frank lust, to be honest.
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd February 2010 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks Primrose, upon repeat scrutiny it certainly is a satyr, and perhaps it is Pan himself! A very apt symbol for the name Libertine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Thanks Primrose, upon repeat scrutiny it certainly is a satyr, and perhaps it is Pan himself! A very apt symbol for the name Libertine.
    He's on the Boudoir box, but not on Anglomania, which has a rampant cobra...

Yes, I noticed the snake on my bottle of Anglomania. I love the symbolism of the Vivienne Westwood packaging. Long may she reign.

Odd, but Libertine vaguely reminds be of Parfum d'Empire's Fougere Bengale--floral mingled with something spicy, plus something sweet...