Code of Conduct

Default Addicted to the Material Culture of Perfume

Hello everyone,

It's a pleasure to find a group of likeminded individuals when it comes to the world of perfume. I have to admit, I am absolutely addicted to all things related to perfume and I have been since I was quite young. I can remember it was such a triumph for me when my parents finally let me go to the mall alone with my friends because that meant that I could wander the perfume counters in the department stores begging for samples all day long!

Speaking of samples....

I am absolutely in love with perfume samples and anything related to perfume culture. The little bottles produced by perfume companies for limited editions, the tiny vials especially produced for samples, the scent cards you find at the perfume counter, all these things are precious to me! Please tell me I'm not alone

I can't even begin to count how many little vials I have collected with samples of perfumes and I won't even comment on the number of larger sized bottles I have. There is just something precious about the manufacturer's samples and all the little things that go along with them. I remember one perfume company gave out their samples sprayed on a ribbon with the company's name printed on it. Even though the scent no longer lingers on the ribbon, it's still such a sweet thing.

Well, there is my introduction, if I can even call it that!

Again, nice to find this fabulous place!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Addicted to the Material Culture of Perfume

You are not alone is all I can say, you will find people here having the same addiction as you do. Enjoy it, and don't spend the wrong money for it.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like

Fragrance is, at least in my opinion, far more than just a full-fledged cultural phenomenon, it is indeed, a self-sustaining, autonomous culture and civilization on its own, creating so many ramification not just leading to our consumer behavior, but also the deepest and utmost multilateral layers of our conscience, our knowledge, our aspirations, of our ideals even, thus, I am truly glad for you and wish to you to enjoy your newly found pleasure (that kind of pleasure I do not see as something addictive, thus my opinion is not a too recommendable and supportive one, however far more enabling and useful when it strictly refers to the delights, not the addiction factor, of frags)
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 23rd February 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are certainly in good company here. Some of us are more drawn to the juice, some have a special love for the bottles, others the ads; I love reading books about the industry and about perfumes themselves. For me it began in childhood, too, and whereas my other enthusiasms have come and gone over the years, this one is here to stay!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clynnmay View Post
    I can't even begin to count how many little vials I have collected with samples of perfumes and I won't even comment on the number of larger sized bottles I have. There is just something precious about the manufacturer's samples and all the little things that go along with them. I remember one perfume company gave out their samples sprayed on a ribbon with the company's name printed on it. Even though the scent no longer lingers on the ribbon, it's still such a sweet thing.

Was that The Different Company by any chance? I remember when they started up they had ribbons for their three perfumes. I fell for Bois d'Iris in a big way

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have lived in a small town for many years, I find I miss the posh atmosphere of shopping in a big department store fragrance counter or in a tiny bijoux of a small parfumerie - on trips I seek out perfume stores, boutiques, outlet stores -

I adore the bottles, the juice, the samples, the artwork of the box, just everything about perfume!
    I am addicted, but like to rationalize it as a lifetime interest!

reine