Code of Conduct

Default Help me diversify my fragrance collection!

Hey all,

I currently have 6 fragrances, which I think are fairly diverse in their styles and ideal use. I'm interested in buying perhaps one or two more in the coming months, and I was hoping to get a bit of advice for what sort of fragrances I should be looking for to flesh out my collection a bit fuller.

Any commentary is welcome! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the fragrances I have now, how I perceive them, as well as any possible advice for the future. (If I can make a humble request, though, personally I'd rather have more general suggestions like, "you should get something more refined and business-like, like X, X, or X," rather than "You need to get [some wild fragrance I've never heard of, have no clue what it smells like and would never be able to find]!")

Thanks!

What I have (and how I perceive / use it)

Fall / Winter (general)

John Varvatos

Burberry London

Spring / Summer (general)

John Varvatos: Artisan

Kenneth Cole: Black

Going out (night clubs, bars, ect)

Armani Code

Formal wear

Burberry Brit

Last time I was at Nordstrom, I caught a whiff of True Religion (the page on BN is a bit missing... here's a link to it on Amazon), and I thought it was really, really unique. Of course, that was just a hint of the top notes so I want to try and get some time to stop by and get a tester sample. I've also been thinking about getting D&G The One for intimate / evening wear, but I'm not too sure.

So, like I said at the top of the post.. what's your critique on my collection right now, and do you think I have any bases not quite covered?

Thanks!

Alex
    Last edited by AlexbroPA; 22nd February 2010 at 09:30 PM.

Default Re: Help me diversify my fragrance collection!

If you truly want to diversify, my suggestion would be that you sample lots of different things and find scents that you truly love wearing. Samples are a relatively inexpensive way to try scents that you might never experience otherwise. Try scents that are on the various lists of top 10, top 100, etc.; try ones that people rave about here on the forum or in the various perfume blogs. Do exactly what you suggest and get a sample of the scent that you smelled in Nordstrom's and wear it a few times to see if you really like it. Don't be afraid to try unisex scents or "women's" scents. The distinctions are just arbitrary conventions. Have fun with it!

I have literally hundreds of samples, small decants, minis, etc., and I have no illusions that I will ever "cover all the bases", whatever that means. The satisfaction is in the journey, not arriving at the perfectly balanced collection.

Blog Entries

For the record, I agree with Doc Elly - sample, sample, sample. But playing along with your request, which I like how you phrased by the way, it looks like you have a lot of what I consider "heavy" frags. If you are looking to diversify, look for something in my favorite categories of fresh/light/aquatic/aromatic. They work great in spring and summer. Most of my favorites listed in my signature fit that category except Paco XS.

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    For the record, I agree with Doc Elly - sample, sample, sample. But playing along with your request, which I like how you phrased by the way, it looks like you have a lot of what I consider "heavy" frags. If you are looking to diversify, look for something in my favorite categories of fresh/light/aquatic/aromatic. They work great in spring and summer. Most of my favorites listed in my signature fit that category except Paco XS.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you - the "heavy" comment is pretty astute, I'll definitely take that into account in the future. I don't often have time to get out to a Sephora or Nordstrom's in order to get samples (being generally busied by school and not having a car in the middle of Philly).

When I do manage to make it to the Sephora in Philly (about fifteen blocks away, so it takes a bit of a time commitment to walk there), I usually try to take home a decanted sample of a fragrance, though like I said, I can't make it out terribly often. Is there a.. er, rule of thumb as to how many samples one should ask to take home from Sephora? I've always felt awkward asking for another one, but I don't really have a clue how many is "too many" >.>

Just to echo a bit of the above, sample a bunch. I would suggest adding

something light and fresh (different to Artisan) like either a Vetiver (Guerlain, Tom Ford Grey, etc),
    or an aquatic (Bvlgari Aqua/marine, Aqua Di Gio, Polo Sport, etc)
    or an aromatic/herbal "green" scent like say Paco Rabanne pour homme, Bean Grey Flannel, or Chanel Anteaus
    or for a fresh clean vibe, you could go for something "soapy" like Bvlgari Blue, Prada Amber, or Mugler Cologne

I'm not sure if you just don't have a sweet tooth, but you could easily put in something sugary like Joop! Homme, or Givenchy Pi, or Thiery Mugler's Angel for Men

I'd suggest trying some light florals even a bit powdery for spring days, check out Rive Gauche (homme), and combo sweet and floral Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male or Dior Homme

If you want something spicy like what you have (varvatos and london), try some orientals and ambers like YSL Opium Homme

Hope that helps. These are all pretty easy to find and relatively inexpensive ones that should match well into your wardrobe

I think sephora limits the samples to about 2-3 in my experience. Also, of course sample anything you want but not all are created equal, REALLY. some will die in an hour and some will go forever. most of the above recomendations are all pretty solid performers in my opinion.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 23rd February 2010 at 05:44 PM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hey! You've got a nice little collection so far made up of some 'core' colognes most people have in their collection... just by looking at what you've got I'll suggest a few colognes which might intrest you.

Paco Rabanne 1 Million: For a highschooler this is a must have! It's sweet and modern... all the guys in Europe are wearing this!

L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme: You can wear this pretty much all year round and I don't know anyone who doesn't like this - its great.

Theirry Mugler A*Men: This is a love or hate fragrance... but if you love it you'll really love it!

Lacoste Essential: Fresh, green and vibrant and it's a very refreshing cologne to wear in spring and summer.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport: Like L'eau D'Issey I think you can wear this all year round even it's targeted to more of a spring/summer fragrance. It's a great citrus fragrance... from the moment you spray it on all the way through to the dry down smells fantastic!

Thanks for the feedback, Voj

Paco Rabanne 1 Million - I'm quite a long ways from high school, but I can imagine it'd be nice to have the option of a more youthful scent for casual wear. I'll definitely check it out!

I did get a chance to try A*men a few months ago, and I wasn't super-pleased with it for some reason. Its like you said.. hit or miss. I'll definitely try to take a look at the others you mentioned, too - would I be able to find L'eau D'Issey in Sephora? It's not a name I'm terribly familiar with

@ thgolfer - I can't reply to your PM because your box is full! =P

Blog Entries

Sorry. I've deleted a few. Try again.