Code of Conduct

Default C&S Cuba - Smells like sh*t!! literally...

I was really excited to sample this one since I'm a big Bay Rum fan... so I paid for the samples to come from C&S etc. My sample showed today and I have to say this might be my biggest letdown ever! It literally smells like horse sh*t to me. I guess I ignored the bad reviews on this one that mention the same thing. Wow - what a letdown!

Default Re: C&S Cuba - Smells like sh*t!! literally...

Yes, I think I remember a strong animalic note, perhaps jasmine? It's very "old school," that's for sure.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 9th March 2010 at 05:00 AM.

I got the exact same feeling ... i actually thought the sample was rotten or somebody had replaced the fragrance with something else ...
    the strange thing is how many positive reviews this fragrance gets !!!!!

Haha, me too. I can usually get past animalic notes, but that one was a bit too much. I had to sell mine.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 9th March 2010 at 12:30 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sensitivity to the (synthetic) fecal note seems to vary. I can smell it, but it's never dominant.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love Cuba and when I first sprayed it I was was smoking a Montecristo Cuban Cigar and that fecal note smells exactly like the dry tobacco from the the cigar. So when I get that note thats what I think of and I understand what they were trying to do. It does not last long and the drydown is great with this frag. But I understand how people would not appreciate that note and be put off. I guess its all in your perception and association as I have been put off by other frags from notes I associate with plastic or playdough that ruins a scent.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 9th March 2010 at 11:53 AM.

opening accords are indeed gritty, it's an olfactory explosion which i really enjoy. it's as if im smelling really dense smoke swirling at a really slow pace carrying with it accords of florals, booze & dried tobacco leaves. What i find much more exciting is it's drydown. one of those handful of scents which smell deliciously wonderful towards it's drydown.

An aquired taste.

Revisit this scent again in a couple of months!
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Cuba's hardcore tobacco made me nauseous, so I swapped my bottle away.
    Don't. Buy. Blind.

Yes, its the tobacco which provides the "horsey" animalic note.
    This scent has done the opposite of grown on me. That is not because of the animalic note which I rather like but the synthy smelling accord at the top.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

The dirty notes in Cuba combined with the tobacco, rum and spices make it smell like old ashtray on my skin. C&S has a lot of admirers on basenotes but I have not found a single fragrance that I would actually wear.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I know the feeling... Although I do think a revisit is worthwhile, the potent cigar scent could indeed be an acquired taste. Imagine after acquiring a taste for C&S Cuba you happily wear it as SotD only to encounter people who have never smell it before? Guess what they think you smell of? That's right, horsesh!t! LOL.

Blog Entries

I love Cuba, and don't get animalic notes any more than the other C&S fragrances. Its my favourite tobacco besides Il Profvmo G11.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I love Cuba and when I first sprayed it I was was smoking a Montecristo Cuban Cigar and that fecal note smells exactly like the dry tobacco from the the cigar. So when I get that note thats what I think of and I understand what they were trying to do. It does not last long and the drydown is great with this frag. But I understand how people would not appreciate that note and be put off.
    +1

First time I used it, it reminded me of entering a walk-in humidor. Love that smell so Cuba was an instant hit with me. Will always have it in my wardrobe.
    ~Mark~

Definitely a love it or hate it, I also hated this when I tried a sample.
    I also tried Citrus Paradisi and Neroli from Czech and Speake and didn't like those either. I didn't think the Neroli was a patch on the one that Castle Forbes do (which I think is better than Creed's). Just shows you how different we all are with fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    The dirty notes in Cuba combined with the tobacco, rum and spices make it smell like old ashtray on my skin. C&S has a lot of admirers on basenotes but I have not found a single fragrance that I would actually wear.
    Agreed. I received their sample pack of all scents and I don't think any would work for me... again I was convinced Cuba would be in my top 5 and was really looking forward to Oxford & Cambridge as well as 88 - but they are just not working for me. I will say that their Neroli is actually really nice... just not my thing.

BTW - I hope nobody takes my post the wrong way... I'm not trying to bash them... in fact the debate and how people perceive scents differently is what makes this such a fun "habit"

Totally aggree with original post. I get nothing but the barnyard floor from this one.
    .Dave J

Was I the only one that got a heavy hit of menthol from Cuba? I did not care for it because of what I perceived to be menthol.

I found No. 88 and Frankincense and Myrrh good and unique enough to get full bottles of. I'm thinking of getting two more if the pound keeps dropping: Dark Rose and Citrus Paradisi.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Was I the only one that got a heavy hit of menthol from Cuba? I did not care for it because of what I perceived to be menthol.
    Probably the peppermint notes in the opening.
    ~Mark~

That was probably it. I didn't care for the whole evolution much anyway. I'll have to give it another go as it's been several months since I last tried it. I certainly didn't smell a a barnyard or horseshit accord from it though.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 9th March 2010 at 04:45 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I find Cuba to be powerful but appealing and with just the right amount of fecality. Perhaps avoiding all oats and hay consumption would help the comparison.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

The fecal note is a very underrated one. Perhaps it should be listed in the pyramid. No doubt it would have an exotic tag such as Haitian dung.

Seriously though, I find the alleged note in Cuba to be brief at best. To me it represents the turning point - after which the true beauty emerges.

It's odd, I didn't find this to be the case at all. I was honestly expecting to hate Cuba, because of the mint note, but actually I really enjoyed it.

Now, Mimosa? Dirty and soapy at once. Ugh... Used bathroom accord.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 9th March 2010 at 05:55 PM.

I like the fecal note. It comes on strongly for me but, unfortunately, it doesn't last long at all.

I love Cuba. I don't get ANY fecal or animalic notes from it (or 88, for that matter). Further, it actually quickly dries down to a very subtle and pleasant scent even for others in an office environment, to the point where I'm considering getting a bottle of Mimosa to try!
    Last edited by great_badir; 9th March 2010 at 08:07 PM.

I'm glad I got the sample pack from their website before I went and bought any of C&S's frags. I can definetely smell the horse shit thing going on in Cuba, although it does seem to mellow aout a bit after, say, 45 minutes. After that I do agree with great_badir, it is quite a pleasant scent. I just can't put up with the first 45 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    C&S has a lot of admirers on basenotes but I have not found a single fragrance that I would actually wear.
    I had also tried a few without being particularly impressed... until I met Oxford & Cambridge. It's now one of my few never-want-to-be-without frags.

As to Cuba, I've got a small sample but haven't done a proper full wearing yet, so I'll reserve judgement for now.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    I had also tried a few without being particularly impressed... until I met Oxford & Cambridge. It's now one of my few never-want-to-be-without frags.

As to Cuba, I've got a small sample but haven't done a proper full wearing yet, so I'll reserve judgement for now.
    I totally agree with you. First time I smelt Oxford & Cambridge I thought it was boring. But after about 30 minutes it changed to a beautiful piney smelling lavender in the breeze! I bought it the same day!

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    I like the fecal note. It comes on strongly for me but, unfortunately, it doesn't last long at all.
    Don't flush.

I sold my Cuba last year. I wore it quite happily, but after then trying Havana, the dirty note in Cuba became much more noticeable to me and it had to go.

I get the fecal note. It's not strong on me. It lasts like 3 minutes at the open. Maybe 5 in the summertime. Those who focus their hate on that one short-lived note miss out on all the fun.

Of course, the perfumer didn't intend for you think of turds in a toilet with the note. He intended you to think of dried tobacco leaves. You know, the ones they roll cigars with . . .
    Last edited by Moneysuckle; 10th March 2010 at 02:46 PM.