Code of Conduct

Default Is a flacon worse for a fragrance than a regular bottle?

I was thinking of buying a Flacon of a Creed fragrance. it will be used daily, so it seems more economical this way. So I'm sure it'll be gone within a year, give or take a month. (If my calculations are right...)

I'm thinking that opening the flacon to air would be pretty bad for the fragrance over the course of a year though. I'd probably refill an atomizer with the juice every few months.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Default Re: Is a flacon worse for a fragrance than a regular bottle?

Personally, with so many frags I rotate between, a large flacon scares me. I personally don't think all frags age well, especially Creeds. But if you have one you plan to use a lot and think it will only last a year or so, go for it. It's way more economical than 75ml bottles if it's a Creed.

Others may disagree. I don't keep in most optimal environment, so I may not be the best judge. Just had to pitch a BdP that was 7 years old and played out.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 20th March 2010 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks for the feedback Stylin. Yep, it's probably going to be my only scent for a while. Pure Malt won't get much love in the blazing heat of California spring, summer and fall 2010.

By the way, I was debating on 4 oz or 8.4 Flacon. For $70 more I get over 2 times as much juice (4.2 extra)!!! I was thinking of buying a deodorant or aftershave with the 4 oz, then realized how much more juice I could get with that money.

Any more experiences anybody?

Whenever I buy anything without an atomizer, I decant into a container with one. Splashing is not my style.

Having a fragrance in a sealed spray bottle is surely better than having it in a flacon BUT if you factor in the cost per ml savings that you can avail by buying a fragrance then I'd say having a flacon is not a bad idea.

Like you said, you can decant it in a spray bottle and only expose the fragrance in the flacon to air when you do refills. Besides if you intend to finish 8.4oz of Creed in one year (one mighty task, if you were to ask me) then flacon makes even better sense.

Good luck with your purchase. By the way what Creed is it? GIT I am guessing.

Hi Gupts. (By the way, still trying out the oils vs no oil before spraying).

It's either Original Veviter or VIW. Haven't decided yet.

Hi G Man,

My opinion is that it should be fine as long as you do not expose the juice to air and light, it should be fine. An atomiser is very strongly recommended, as you say you're going to be wearing it every day. If you open the flacon every day exposing it to the environment, it will lose its lustre quickly.

And I also think it may be tough to complete 8.4 oz in a years time, but if you're not going to rotate colognes, it might be possible.

In short, if you take care not to expose it to excessive light and temperature and store it appropriately, it makes a lot of sense cost-wise.

Good luck, and congratulations with your Creed purchase. I envy you.

Thank you for the advice hammer. I plan on having 2 atomizers. A 1.7 (Creed atomizer, got to have the leather stuff) and a cheap 5 ML atomizer. The 5 ml atomizer will be to take with me in my book bag or pocket. I get up early and stay out all day. I could use a spray about 6 hours into the day after lunch

Plus, I was thinking about using the juice to make some of my own concoctions (although maybe an expensive risk) such as homemade soaps, lotions, oils, ect.. fused with the scent.

I own one Creed flacon. It's a really nice presentation, but I have concerns that the glass stopper doesn't fit tightly enough for long-term preservation of the scent. The leather wrap that comes with it helps, no doubt. I decant into atomizers to avoid opening the bottle.

So far I haven't noticed the scent degrading. Only had it for a little over a year, though.

It's Vintage Tabarome, btw, a scent so strong that it would probably survive floods and fires without changing much. . .

You can wrap some parafilm around the stopper to seal if it seems too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    You can wrap some parafilm around the stopper to seal if it seems too loose.
    Good tip. Thank you!

By the way G Man, which Creed are you looking at for a flacon?

Figuring 12 sprays per ML (Creeds may be a bit less as they tend to spray a lot, but this is a good average) you'd have to wear 8.28 sprays per day, every day, for one year, to finish the bottle within a years time.

Just an FYI as sometimes the numbers and just what they actually extrapolate out to, in regards to wearing stats, aren't always clear.

If you wore it say, three times a week with 4 sprays per wearing, it would last almost 5 years.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 20th March 2010 at 06:01 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thanks guys. I suppose it's best I stick with 4 0z. I probably won't wear it more than 3-4 sprays per day, everyday for 365 days straight. That's just wasteful because most days I stay at home or go out just to go grocery shopping for 5 minutes. Kind of expensive to wear a fragrance for a 5 minute stop to the store.

Besides, I don't want to feel obligated to finish it in time. I might just grow tired of it that way.

Also... $250 x $250 = 500. 320+ 160 (atomizer. I would only want the creed one anyway, not just any atomizer. I've GOT to own the bottle of the juice I'm spraying) = 480. I save 20 dollars, but am pressed to finish more in a given time. Plus risks of oxidative degradation.

Not worth it. Unless I was sharing with somebody.
    Last edited by G Man; 20th March 2010 at 06:21 PM.

I`ve always want to own a Creed flacon + a Creed leather atomizer, but it`s so difficult to pick out wich one! It`s hard to choose from Erolfa, Acier Aluminium or Baie de Genievre. I like them all, but maby it`s sensible to pick out the one that can be used for all occations, all year round, and not only for special occations. I love them all, but Erolfa is probably the one i reach for most often. I like the stylish design of the Creed leather atomizers (the new one), and it would look well on every table and shelf at home or workplace. It`s a pity it`s quite expensive.

Yes. Too expensive for me right now. It's basically a $500 investment for 8.4 Oz and atomizer. I also declined to do this, just because I'm thinking the better things I can use the spare $160 for. Like a few nice shirts for the summer or a pair of really good shoes. Or a fabulous watch. ect...

PS Stylin, it was either OV or VIW.
    Last edited by G Man; 20th March 2010 at 09:34 PM.