Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TOM FORD Private blend

When I was in London, I visited Roja Dove haute parfumerie in Harrods. I had an opportunity to talk with him a bit and I asked about Tom Ford private blend. He said the fact that private blend scents are here, in his haute parfumerie, shows that they are quality scents. He thinks that private blend is one of the most important events in perfumery of the beginning of the XXI century.

There are sceptical views about private blend, for example, Luca Turin, scentemental.

I like almost all private blend scents very much. They all are deep, sensual, glamorous - like Caron scents of the XXI century. I don't think that they were made in a hurry. They were made by different perfumers. Every perfumer dreams to create a perfume with good ingredients.
    Tuscany Leather and Noir de Noir show Harry Fremont and Jacques Cavallier at their best.
    Tobacco Vanille for sure was created by Olivier Gillotin with great passion and love. He put much effort in creating this scent. The same could be said and abour D. Apel's Purple patchouli and S. Nilsen's Moss Breches.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: TOM FORD Private blend

I tend to agree.
    There are scents that you sniff (both niche and designer) that are touted as having quality blends and ingredients.
    Many of the TF Private Blends feel superior to many on the market. I think Ford gets a lot of stick on occasion, just because he is Tom Ford. But I don't think his choices are arbitrary and thoughtless at all.
    Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood and Italian Cypress are top notch in my book, but Im sure the nature of many of his scents leave his competitors scratching their heads.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd February 2010 at 09:31 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    ...I don't think his choices are arbitrary and thoughtless at all....but Im sure the nature of many of his scents leave his competitors scratching their heads.
    Agree as well. Even the ones i don't like that much are because of how they smell, not because of any other shortfall. Quality scents.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

Count me as another big fan!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I really love Tobacco Vanille and like Tuscan Leather.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I haven't smelled all of the Private Blends but Italian Cypress may well be my next full bottle. I thought Japon Noir was lovely but not really my style. Am very eager to try Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Amber Absolute, Purple Patchouli and Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Agree as well. Even the ones i don't like that much are because of how they smell, not because of any other shortfall. Quality scents.
    Completely agreed. There's a lot of hype around the PB scents, but I think it's probably deservedly so as Tom Ford seems to have done a rather good job on them.

Tom Ford private blends are excellent imo and a lot of work and effort has been made to get each and every one smelling to a very high standard. Italian Cypress and Oud Wood are certainly ones on my 'to get' list... I'm also looking at Tobacco Vanille too now after I smelt it on Saturday and was also impressed. Tom Ford private blends gets a thumbs up from me.

I would exchange my entire collection of perfumes for the entire private blend collection. It's the modern chypre reference library!
    Visit my blog at http://thescenter.blogspot.com

I don't love all of them, but to my nose, they're a great step in the direction of rich, complex, and interesting fragrances.

And the bottles? My all-time favorite.

I'm another huge fan of the Private Blend range. Tom Ford gets such a bad rap on here and I have no idea why.

These fragrances are so much better than most of the drivel out there on the market today.

Put me down as a fan too as I think the private blends are fantastic , some of my favourite frags

Black Violet is my favorite, and probably one of the more masculine leaning TFPB's, but is rarely talked about on BN.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Black Violet is my favorite, and probably one of the more masculine leaning TFPB's, but is rarely talked about on BN.
    I actually haven't tried that one in a long, long time. I'm going to have another sniff this week!

It always amazes me that with all the rose threads on these boards that Noir de Noir is rarely mentioned. It's a sublime rose scent as far as I'm concerned. I fell in love with the TF private blends the moment they were released and I was fortunate enough to smell them. People rolled their eyes about them, so I just enjoyed them and kept my mouth shut. Who cares if some of the perfume gurus don't like them? I know what I like and I know quality when I smell it. These are quality scents that I adore! Some of the new musks that he came out with I'm not sure about yet though. I have to spend more time with them. My first impression is that they are over-priced, but I really need to reserve judgement until they get some more quality attention from me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have the following Tom Ford Special Blends. Within the group, I will assign from one to five stars according to my opinion of each. Five is highest, one, lowest.

Arabian Wood ****
    Black Violet *****
    Bois Marocain ***
    Bois Rouge ****
    Champaca Absolute ***
    Italian Cypress ***
    Japon Noir ****
    Moss Breches *****
    Noir de Noir *****
    Oud Wood ****
    Purple Patchouli ***
    Tobacco Vanille ****

Other Tom Fords I have, rated the same way within their own subgroup:

Grey Vetiver *****
    Tom Ford Extreme ****
    Tom Ford for Men **
    Urban Musk ****
    Black Orchid Voile de Fleur ***
    White Suede ***
    Last edited by JaimeB; 23rd February 2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Does anyone know if a new tf private blend will be out next year?

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    agreed. this and Tuscan Leather are my favs.

much respect for the whole line. i think they are too heavy for everyday use though. but when that special occasion/craving hits, TF satisfies like few others.

Quote Originally Posted by rioni
    Does anyone know if a new tf private blend will be out next year?

nothing confirmed yet but check out this thread.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265...e-new-Tom-Ford

Thanks. Is this futami from sf?

absolutely love them............

Quiet Innocence

I find Tom Ford and Serge Luten to be deeper and more appealing than Cr**d.

i have sampled the following (and i agree with with sorcery of scent, word by word)

Japon Noir *****
    Moss Breches *****
    Noir de Noir *****

Tuscan Leather *****
    Amber Absolute *** 1/2

Other Tom Fords
    Tom Ford for Men ****
    Black Orchid *****

I stoll adore the Private Blend line. They simply ooze quality to me. Nothing wishy washy about them(with the possible exception of the lovely but gossamer light Azure Lime).

From the ones I've sampled

Arabian Wood **
    Bois Marocain ***
    Italian Cypress *****
    Japon Noir *****
    Tuscan Leather ******
    Oud Wood ***
    Tobacco Vanille ***
    Grey Vetiver ****

Looking forward to Moss Breches

Quote Originally Posted by rioni View Post
    Thanks. Is this futami from sf?
    Nope, Miami

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

I agree i love tobacco vanille that is my fav.

Quote Originally Posted by rioni View Post
    From the ones I've sampled

Arabian Wood **
    Bois Marocain ***
    Italian Cypress *****
    Japon Noir *****
    Tuscan Leather ******
    Oud Wood ***
    Tobacco Vanille ***
    Grey Vetiver ****

Looking forward to Moss Breches
    your avatar makes me randy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0396171/

Quote Originally Posted by gecko88 View Post
    your avatar makes me randy.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

god

Tuscan Leather ******
    lol...couldn't agree more

I just wish they hadn't discontinued Moss Breches, I hadn't yet purchased it and now seems to be very hard to find.

Blog Entries

An excellent and quality line. I have tremendous respect for Tom Ford!

My favorite fragrance house. I have a goal of collecting all of the Private Blends and getting the display for them as well. It WILL get done!

My Current Top 3:
    Tobacco Vanille
    Musk Pure
    Oud Wood

Oddly enough I don't have full bottles of Musk Pure or Oud Wood. I have a refillable otimizer with Oud that I got back when NM was doing the refills of Black Orchid. They took one of the tubes (my wifes) and poured it into a sample bottle and refilled it with Oud for me. One of my clients has an 8.4oz of Oud so she refills it for me. I get Musk Pure samples whenever I go to NM so there hasn't been a need to purchase it. Maybe I'll get it for christmas....now I'm rambling......

I have had limited experience with TF frags thus far (Extreme and Tobacco Vanille); I love them and am looking to expand my collection next year with more of his PB offerings.

how many private blends are there? and will there be more to come?

just had an idea of buying myself all of them for xmas!

I think most of them are great, I'm a massive fan.

I love Italian Cypress, Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Azure Lime, Noir de Noir, Japon Noir, Amber Absolute, and I think Bois Marocain is a hidden gem, one of the most under-appreciated scents on the market.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

I dislike Tuscan leather at this point in my life.. im 25

So far I tested Tobacco vanille and Oud wood and enjoy them a lot

it should be illegal to speak ill of any Tom Ford product

If I had known Moss Breches had been discontinued....
    I pulled the trigger on Tuscan Leather at the Neimans in San Diego yesterday, and they had EVERYTHING there.....
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

First off getting a chance to speak to Roja Dove is the best. Many years ago back in the very early 90's I got a chance to speak with him in Manhattan at Saks. It was during that conversation that he exposed me to Guerlain's Heritage and the advice to always go with a extract or eau de parfum if one is available in the line. For both are the closest one can come to the true creation the perfumer/nose envisioned.

Now back the subject Tom Ford's Private Blends. I do agree that quality and though is put into these blends from my experience with Tobacco Vanille it has exceeded all my expectations. Mr Ford can be arrogant at times and a little full of himself but I do give him credit in creating a true niche line up with quality at a price to keep a mystique of the brand so not everyone can have it but those who can't long to try it.

Like I stated before in a thread on Tobacco Vanille it amazes me that Estee Lauder cosmetics and fragrances can manufacture some thing of this quality. You just know by the quality of the fragrance that these are made in small limited batches and not looking at marketing trends and sales. The same holds true for Halston Amber for men which I believe was the best to come out of 2010 - again a company like EA (Elizabeth Arden) Fragrances manufacturing something like this blows my mind the same company that makes Daytona 500.

Thank God for some clear thinkers in these big corporate monoliths who actually appreciate these quality niche frags. They may never be their best sellers, but they will always sell well and attract a very devoted customer base.

Spoke to Neimans SA and a new TF private blend bottle should be out early fall of next year. She did not know what it was yet.

Off-topic a little, but he has a skincare line due out in the autumn of 2011 also! I was wondering when he was going to to do that!

I'm faced with a bit of a conundrum at the moment, and I'm looking for some advice.

We're approaching the Summer, and I purchased Creed Virgin Island water for my summer fragrance this year, and I absolutely adore it. However, my birthday is approaching and I'm faced with the question of "What would you like for your big day."

So my question is this, do I plump for a 250ml bottle of Tobacco Vanille (which I think is incredible, althought wouldn't use it until Autumn) at around £260, or do I look to get two 50ml bottles from the line?

It's a question of weighing up the variety against quantity and I don't know what to do. I've purposely used up all of my reserves and I am looking at restructuring my fragrance wardrobe with a select few, quality fragrances, rather than having 20-30 bottles of commercial fragrances that do their job, but I can take them or leave them.

Can I get away with Virgin Island Water and Tobacco Vanille as the bedrock for a new wardrobe, or would you recommend adding a third option and plumping for the smaller bottles? If so, what other fragrance would you recommend from the Tom Ford Private Blend line, and on what occasion do you have in mind for your choice.

I look forward to your thoughts, thanks!

I always advocate the smaller bottles. If you're here any length of time tyler, you'll end up with several scents and won't move through the 100ml bottles very quickly.

We're big on variety here for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I always advocate the smaller bottles. If you're here any length of time tyler, you'll end up with several scents and won't move through the 100ml bottles very quickly.

We're big on variety here for the most part.
    Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post.

In principle I agree wholeheartedly on the variety point. At one point a few years ago, I was working with something close to thirty different bottles, and I found that some of them I hadn't touched in years.

When I looked at the Private Blend line, from memory it was c.£118 for a 50ml bottle, or c.£265 for a 250ml decanter. So for roughly twice the price, you're getting 5 times the juice, which economically makes a lot of sense.

Any of the line you would recommend to bridge the gap between Virgin Island Water (Fresh Summer scent) and Tobacco Vanille (Autumn/Winter scent). I think i'd choke people out wearing Tobacco Vanille in the height of summer?

Thanks again.

Was left unimpressed with the TF private blends I tried or smelled on others.

I'd suggest the 50ml's, not because of variety reasons but just because the stuff is so potent you'll never finish even 50ml. I use 2 sprays of a Ford but 4-5 of a Creed. Also the 250ml is a flacon so you'll have to use your own atomizer. I'd rather just use the original 50ml bottle.

You can still probably use Tobacco Vanilla in cool summer evenings, so I don't think it'll get put aside until the fall.

As for something else in the line (another 50ml) to 'bridge the gap'... you may find something like Grey Vetiver is still refreshing for summer but has a little more depth than VIW. Are you that set on Ford? since his line tends to be quite rich and heavy (except neroli).
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I have only tried Tobacco Vanille, and it`s fabulous. I`m waiting for a Italian Cypress bottle to arrive. A swap (blind) with a kind basenoter. I`m very excited, and hope I like it

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Was left unimpressed with the TF private blends I tried or smelled on others.
    +1 here. Azure Lime was horrendous, and Black Orchid has a revolting drydown(IMO) I know Im treading on dangerous ground but its the truth
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

^^^ I don't think those two are very representative of the line... Azuree Lime is a brand new launch and IMO totally different from his other stuff, frankly I think it's terrible and poorly done. Black Orchid is a favorite of mine but it's a completely wild one. So, I'd say you didn't really try the ones most people agree are the best.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    +1 here. Azure Lime was horrendous, and Black Orchid has a revolting drydown(IMO) I know Im treading on dangerous ground but its the truth
    Black Orchid is not part of the Private Blend collection.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Italian Cypress, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, and Tobacco Vanille are all great in my opinion..

While still relatively new to this game, I stumbled across the private blends about 6 months ago and after having sampled a few hundred frags in the past 6 months, Mr. Ford's offerings have seemed to hold up to the best of them.

I own Tuscan Leather (top 5 of all time), Tobacco Vanille, and Oud Wood, and I have my eye on Bois Marocain and Italian Cypress.

Magnificent juice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I'd suggest the 50ml's, not because of variety reasons but just because the stuff is so potent you'll never finish even 50ml. I use 2 sprays of a Ford but 4-5 of a Creed. Also the 250ml is a flacon so you'll have to use your own atomizer. I'd rather just use the original 50ml bottle.

You can still probably use Tobacco Vanilla in cool summer evenings, so I don't think it'll get put aside until the fall.

As for something else in the line (another 50ml) to 'bridge the gap'... you may find something like Grey Vetiver is still refreshing for summer but has a little more depth than VIW. Are you that set on Ford? since his line tends to be quite rich and heavy (except neroli).
    Thanks for the advice, particularly on the need of an atomiser.

I'm not 100% set on Ford in that I refuse to look at anything else, rather its just that it seems the least represented amongst people I know, and I like the thought of wearing something people haven't smelt, let alone own themselves.

I work with about 5 sprays of VIW, so you're probably right in that a 50ml will suffice in terms of length of time. I wonder how long it'd take to get through a 250ml flacon of Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    Thanks for the advice, particularly on the need of an atomiser.

I'm not 100% set on Ford in that I refuse to look at anything else, rather its just that it seems the least represented amongst people I know, and I like the thought of wearing something people haven't smelt, let alone own themselves.

I work with about 5 sprays of VIW, so you're probably right in that a 50ml will suffice in terms of length of time. I wonder how long it'd take to get through a 250ml flacon of Tobacco Vanille.
    Agree on the 50ml bottle: i think the whole line is in Eau De Parfum concentration, and therefore quite strong with tiny quantity. Tobacco Vanille is lovely, and incredibly close to real tobacco vanille blends, a superb scent, which tends to be a bit cloying in hot weather, but works its magic in winter. Neroli Portofino is a wonderful summer scent, did you try it?
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    Agree on the 50ml bottle: i think the whole line is in Eau De Parfum concentration, and therefore quite strong with tiny quantity. Tobacco Vanille is lovely, and incredibly close to real tobacco vanille blends, a superb scent, which tends to be a bit cloying in hot weather, but works its magic in winter. Neroli Portofino is a wonderful summer scent, did you try it?
    Not tried Neroli Portofino as yet.

I just received a £50 amazon voucher through work, and as a result, i've just acquired a 50ml bottle of Italian Cypress for effectively £42 - Can't argue with that surely.

I think a 50ml Tobacco Vanille for my birthday, will keep me set for a while now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    ^^^ I don't think those two are very representative of the line... Azuree Lime is a brand new launch and IMO totally different from his other stuff, frankly I think it's terrible and poorly done. Black Orchid is a favorite of mine but it's a completely wild one. So, I'd say you didn't really try the ones most people agree are the best.
    I agree that I have not tried all. What did happen is that those two turned me right off. Last night I did try Neroli Portofino and wouldnt you know it I really enjoyed this, a lot.

Color me happy and yes, slightly red faced.

As you said that lime is atrocious.

Thank you for the feedback

Rex
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

I agree with some of the comments here that they've not got it right for all of their fragrances.

But:

- For the non-PB fragrances, the Black Orchoid Voile de Fleur version, which I believe is discontinued now, is very good and nowhere near as 'choking' as the standard Black Orchid;

- From the PB, Jasmine Musk is like being surrounded in a garden full of Jasmine plants at the hight of spring/summer.

Only draw back I would say is that both of the above I recall being worn be women, so I just can't see them on a man. Nonetheless, both superb fragrances.

I tried the Neroli Portofino and whilst I liked it (thought it was better than most others in the private blend range), I did find it a little industrial