Code of Conduct

Default I have met Jicky for the first time

Finally I managed to try Jicky.

First of all let me tell you that before I joined basenotes I never tried any Guerlain and I almost feel embarrassed to say it since I have been buying fragrances for 20 years. Why I never give it a try? I guess their marketing and a false impression that the house was dated, old fashioned and lost in time, it simply never "called me".

Now, after basenotes, I have Vetiver and L Instant extreme (both with back up bottles).
    I would like to say that I feel intrigued and amazed every single time that I smell Mitsouko and Shalimar and the more Guerlains that I try the more everything makes sense and I understand the infatuation with Guerlain. I cant venture yet into wearing them but I know I will sooner than later.

Jicky.
    I enjoyed it with moderation and caution and it did not made the first impression that Shalimar or Mitsouko produced on me. I got a citrus dark sweet gourmand, it was all over the place really. The civet was right in my nose like a mix of patchouli, iris and vanilla bringing to my brain the notion of Third Man mixed with Pour Homme splashed with generous doses of shalimar. For the first half an hour I thought that Jicky was a rebel sister of Shalimar, very animalic, almost masculine ... hard to understand a woman would like to wear it back then. Jicky is sexual in a dirty and vulgar way, at least to my nose, the word vulgar and Guerlain is almost like committing a sin but I do not find better words to describe it. Then the dirty part of it vanish and leaves an almost ethereal holy clean scent, light vanilla, citrus, floral lavender, a very radical change if your ask me. wow.
    Minutes later it mutes again into something else and so forth, what a chameleonic and disarrange fragrance Jicky is, it really managed to annoying me with its change of direction and the confusion it produced. Then, after 2 or 3 hours Jicky is gone, gone for real, I could not smell anything just a shy hint of something it "was". I thought to myself that Jicky is like an affair that lasted very little but was rather intense, an affair that you regret having committed.
    If Mouchoir de Monsieur is similar to Jicky I am not sure I would like it.
    The bottom line is that one cannot really judge a fragrance from smelling a few paper test and a few sprays on both hands, I assume it will take much more time or perhaps a more educated nose.

Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

I haven't tried the edt, but I have Jicky in parfum, pdt and edp.

I get a skanky civet, bright and fresh lavendar, a touch of incense, soft vanilla and a wonderfully warm sandalwood(?) in the drydown. And it stays sensually animalic for hours, I never get a clean floral impression from it.

The first time I tried it I felt that it was weak and fleeting, but it's not. My nose wasn't calibrated for it back then, I suppose.
    Last edited by tott; 23rd February 2010 at 04:22 PM.

If I really don't agree with Caron Un Pour Homme, will I still possibly like Jicky?? For Caron UPH..it's that strong leather and civet that really kill it for me...Also that honed effort of vanilla vitiates the scent whilst on my skin and smells unpleasant..

Though, For it's reputed realms..I really wanna try Jicky!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I met Jicky for the very first time last weekend (EDP)... a full wearing that blew my effing socks off! Je l'adore!

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    If I really don't agree with Caron Un Pour Homme, will I still possibly like Jicky?? For Caron UPH..it's that strong leather and civet that really kill it for me...Also that honed effort of vanilla vitiates the scent whilst on my skin and smells unpleasant..

I don't think Jicky and Pour un Homme really have too much in common. They both have lavender and vanilla, but they feel entirely different. I like the Caron, but I am in love with Jicky. Funnily enough the Caron reminds me of Shalimar, and Shalimar reminds me of Jicky, but Pour un Homme doesn't really remind me of Jicky at all, even though they are both lavender perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post

I don't believe Caron Pour Un Homme has any civet in it. It does have a little bit of "animalism" to it, but I don't think it's civet.

If civet is a note that turns you off, then Jicky is probably not for you, as in some of its concentrations the civet is rather strong.

I find Heritage to have some similarities to Jicky, which makes sense, they do take different courses during their development however.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
    I don't believe Caron Pour Un Homme has any civet in it. It does have a little bit of "animalism" to it, but I don't think it's civet.

If civet is a note that turns you off, then Jicky is probably not for you, as in some of its concentrations the civet is rather strong.

I find Heritage to have some similarities to Jicky, which makes sense, they do take different courses during their development however.
    Caron Pour Un Homme has a definite civet note in the base. Just not as pronounced as Jicky or MdM.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 23rd February 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Jicky lovers should try Ungaro II, if you can find a bottle. I think you will like it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Ungaro II is very nice and adds some variation to the theme, but it's not a replacement for Jicky. A great complement though!
    Last edited by tott; 23rd February 2010 at 04:11 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Basteri what formulation did you try - the Eau de Toilette?

yes EDT

If you get a chance to try the EDP and the Extrait, I'd be very curious to hear your opinions on the differences. To me they are quite pronounced.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    If you get a chance to try the EDP and the Extrait, I'd be very curious to hear your opinions on the differences. To me they are quite pronounced.
    What's your opinion on the longevity of the EDP? Basteri says the EDT disappeared after 2-3 hours, and that was a recurring observation in the Review.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I applied my two hands and two test paper in my hands the smell was gone in 2-3 hours in the paper maybe a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I get a skanky civet, bright and fresh lavendar, a touch of incense, soft vanilla and a wonderfully warm sandalwood(?) in the drydown. And it stays sensually animalic for hours, I never get a clean floral impression from it.
    Stole the words right from my keyboard! Except the sandalwood. I don't get any of that.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    yes EDT
    Well, then you sir, need to try the Eau de Parfum and/or Parfum de Toilette. It will not only last a bit longer, but it will be even more uncomfortably civet prominent in the top notes. This can be a good thing or bad, depending on your tastes. The first time I smelled the EdP I almost scrubbed it off my arm. But now, my nose has become accustomed to it, and I find it just wonderful.

they only have the ADT, in fact the bottle was not even on display I had to ask for it and the lady pull it under the counter.

The title of this thread made me think "Oh? Hasn't he been a little bit dead recently?"

I like the parfum, but the EdT just vanishes on me in no time.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 23rd February 2010 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Stole the words right from my keyboard! Except the sandalwood. I don't get any of that.
    One day when i was wearing it I suddenly realized it was there. It's subtle and takes a while to reveal itself, but it's obvious once you become aware of it.

I have owned and worn Jicky for years and absolutely love it. Have worn edt, pdt and extrait, even layered them! Also owned MdM and really liked it, too, but, for the money, Jicky is better IMO. As I recall (haven't had any to wear in years), the longevity with any formulation is not the best, but, boy is it wonderful!

I love both, but I have to say I prefer MdM as an all rounder.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    What's your opinion on the longevity of the EDP? Basteri says the EDT disappeared after 2-3 hours, and that was a recurring observation in the Review.
    I stopped noticing it after about 4 hours, but my SO said he definitely could smell it... so for me it may have been scent fatigue.

I have the EDT, and I find it sorely lacking in the civet notes I keep reading about on BN. Too bad, too. I think that would really fix it. It's not bad as it is, just disappointingly light. I purchased it in January at a department store, in the refill bottle. Haven't sprung for the cool space age decanter.

BTW, a little off subject, but has anyone else noticed how much the decanter resembles the air traffic tower at La Guardia? The inverted cone shape with holes in it? Is this a sign that I've spent too much time thinking about these things?
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 24th February 2010 at 12:55 AM.

tott - In reference to what you said above 'My nose wasn't calibrated for it back then, I suppose.', THIS is the problem so many of us have regarding the ability to appreciate or even perceive interest in aromas that we have never encountered before. It’s as if the brain is capable of sensing but not appreciating something that it has never been exposed to, and that only after new sensors have developed because of this encounter, that we can begin to form an objective opinion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    tott - In reference to what you said above 'My nose wasn't calibrated for it back then, I suppose.', THIS is the problem so many of us have regarding the ability to appreciate or even perceive interest in aromas that we have never encountered before. It’s as if the brain is capable of sensing but not appreciating something that it has never been exposed to, and that only after new sensors have developed because of this encounter, that we can begin to form an objective opinion about it.
    Seems like a similar principle with wine tasting...
    Last edited by mrclmind; 24th February 2010 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    It’s as if the brain is capable of sensing but not appreciating something that it has never been exposed to, and that only after new sensors have developed because of this encounter, that we can begin to form an objective opinion about it.
    This would explain why we suddenly may change our minds about fragrances. Suddenly we "get" them or realize they're not for us.

What a funny and great observation! I like little nerdy things like that.

In the case of Jicky, I think it can be worth seeking out a bit older model. They were a bit dirtier back then and the lavender was fiercer... All in all greater tenacity!

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I have the EDT, and I find it sorely lacking in the civet notes I keep reading about on BN. Too bad, too. I think that would really fix it. It's not bad as it is, just disappointingly light. I purchased it in January at a department store, in the refill bottle. Haven't sprung for the cool space age decanter.

BTW, a little off subject, but has anyone else noticed how much the decanter resembles the air traffic tower at La Guardia? The inverted cone shape with holes in it? Is this a sign that I've spent too much time thinking about these things?

Jicky, mon amour, you always come to me, but you always leave me too soon. Three hours, each time we get together, will never turn into a meaningful relationship!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th February 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Mr. G was clearly referencing the flacon of apres l'ondee extract in the above picture, yes? or a lalique design from the 20's for worth? or the original baccarat flacon on carons's "Poivre?" for decanters of Jicky I see virtually no resemblance, unless Monsieur were referring to the vaporisateur--I would have to say that Jicky could only be the mother of shalimar--with shalimar's dad being one of the "Cuir de Russie" scents that people then used to scent their gloves.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Jicky was created in a time when bathing or washing the "T" zone was not a daily event for most people. I imagine personal odors were downright outright. It probably was a welcome and calming relief from the wafting very personal odors of those passing by. Think Marco Polo's original quest.

I own and occasionally love to 'skunk' myself with the Edp.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I should be getting samples of jicky, heritage and derby. If i enjoy them to any degree i will probably come in and report.

That is too funny. The refillable canister does look like that tower! LOL.
    I love JICKY and own the refillable EdT in the cross hatched design which I believe was previous to the modern one with the holes or dots. I also just bought a 1/4 oz of the extrait which hasn't arrived yet and I'm contemplating getting the EdP just to complete the picture.
    I had the oddest experience just this past week with JICKY EdT. I wore it to work one day including a spray on my wrist. The next day I wore something completely different but at about midday I swore I kept smelling JICKY. It was very pronounced. I thought it surely must be my imagination but I finally realized the aroma was coming from my wrist! And not just a mere phantom mind you, but full on JICKY. That was at least 36 hours from application and 1 shower later. It got even odder when the next day, a nose to my wrist proved it was still there. I used to believe it was fleeting too, but not anymore.

Jicky in the Parfum de Toilette form is actually very tame in terms of the civet/musk, which surprised me. It reminds me of the vintage (90's) Mouchoir de Monsieur.

Some background info on Guerlain: I can't remember where I heard this, but the story is that back in the day, the wives of powerful men in France--politicians, captains of industry, etc.--would wear fragrances by Caron. Their mistresses would wear Guerlain. This is to explain the underlying skankiness that so many Guerlains have (and that I love!)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    ...I had the oddest experience just this past week with JICKY EdT. I wore it to work one day including a spray on my wrist. The next day I wore something completely different but at about midday I swore I kept smelling JICKY. It was very pronounced. I thought it surely must be my imagination but I finally realized the aroma was coming from my wrist! And not just a mere phantom mind you, but full on JICKY. That was at least 36 hours from application and 1 shower later. It got even odder when the next day, a nose to my wrist proved it was still there. I used to believe it was fleeting too, but not anymore.
    Same thing happened to me wearing the parfum (new formulation). That stuff not only has amazing tenacity but, like you, I have experienced phantom whiffs of it at the most oddest moments of my day. As a Basenoter, this can be a very intimate personal thing and quite delightful in the middle of a stressful day at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Jicky in the Parfum de Toilette form is actually very tame in terms of the civet/musk, which surprised me. It reminds me of the vintage (90's) Mouchoir de Monsieur.
    I agree. I think the 'new' EdP is much more skanky than the vintage EdP/PdT.

I met Jicky last year and fell in love. A timeless classic that proves longevity and quality go hand- in- hand.

I'm an animal for Jicky. I bathe in it.

Ha ha Killer vavooms: You know I do. I did a thread called "why mouchoir de monsieur" got dangerous real fast!

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Ha ha Killer vavooms: You know I do. I did a thread called "why mouchoir de monsieur" got dangerous real fast!
    lmdm, based on your long-time experience with Jicky, do you think the current formulation of the extrait is still made with high quality ingredients, or has it been cheapened to some degree?

I have about 6 of the new champagne coloured boxes under celophane, and only one in the old gold box. I have not broken into these new extracts yet, but The edt sure went "pouf!" in the new formulation--i don't even use that on anything but linens. I'm actually about to bust open a 30ml, and since i have so many new version units I'll save my one last old version gold & black boxed one for posterity. I hope it's OK. I might do a comparison post review on Jicky--they finally put my jicky review up when i coughed up the donation. I wonder if you can post more than one? Shall we start another tread? stay tuned.

I have about 6 of the new champagne coloured boxes under celophane, and only one in the old gold box. I have not broken into these new extracts yet, but The edt sure went "pouf!" in the new formulation--i don't even use that on anything but linens. I'm actually about to bust open a 30ml, and since i have so many new version units I'll save my one last old version gold & black boxed one for posterity. I hope it's OK. I might do a comparison post review on Jicky--they finally put my jicky review up when i coughed up the donation. I wonder if you can post more than one? Shall we start another tread? stay tuned.
    Just read the beautifully written review.

MDM,
    Had I not already been head over heels for JICKY your review in the directory would have made me so. I am so pleased to have learned so much about the background of this masterwork.

Where's that thread. I'm thrilled to have you around. Give us as much information as you can

i think if you go to my profile page there could be a link to it--ask loungeboy--he just jumped on--and so did mclmd-- Whheerrre'z'ah pah-tay?!? i haven't the faintest idea how to find it--a kind member walked me through starting it in about 5 private e-mails: I'm INEPT at any and all internet things--and barely know how to send an e-mail: it's called "Why Mouchoir de Monsieur?" it's been a riot! better put the kids to bed and lock the door before opening it! --sorry i don't know how to find it-- i'm near positive if you pull up my profile and click "find all posts" or something it will be there--i think.....(would post icon of blushing face if I knew how) MDM

Just click on MDM's name in this thread and you'll see a "view forum posts". That's how I found it.

Thanks Loungeboy: You're a pall. We could find each other in a crowded bar by waiving our hankies!

I'll seek to find it. Just read your review of Jicky and I'm blown away by it Thank you indeed for the wealth of historical information you've shared.
    Please, continue to tell us evrything possible about Guerlain and any other house. Beautiful review.

i think if you go to my profile page there could be a link to it--ask loungeboy--he just jumped on--and so did mclmd-- Whheerrre'z'ah pah-tay?!? i haven't the faintest idea how to find it--a kind member walked me through starting it in about 5 private e-mails: I'm INEPT at any and all internet things--and barely know how to send an e-mail: it's called "Why Mouchoir de Monsieur?" it's been a riot! better put the kids to bed and lock the door before opening it! --sorry i don't know how to find it-- i'm near positive if you pull up my profile and click "find all posts" or something it will be there--i think.....(would post icon of blushing face if I knew how) MDM

Why Thank you ever so kindly Killer Vavoom! I can't stop smiling--the thread is hysterical--I've had such a good time with it. Ironically, I think it's very well book ended at this point, at least for the moment. So pleased you enjoyed my Jicky review--my favorite one that i've done thus far is for kiehl's original musk. I love doing them and hope to do more in the future--so pleased you approve. MDM

LMDM, I love your reviews too! They are very, very welcome here.

Nice Jicky review LMdM!

I may be wrong but I think it was that year Claude Debussy heard the first Gamelan Orchestra from Indonesia to visit Europe for the Paris Expo - his quest to reproduce those sonorities (and find the notes between the notes) informed some of his later works . . . les Pagodes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    \
    I may be wrong but I think it was that year Claude Debussy heard the first Gamelan Orchestra from Indonesia to visit Europe for the Paris Expo
    You are very correct indeed. It was from that point forward that the pentatonic scale dominated his works too. Gustave Lefèvre wrote the book Traité d'harmonie that year as well which marked along with the works of Debussy, Ravel, Faure and others a break with the musical theories of Rameau and the beginning of a truly revolutionary musical period in France (the Impressionist Musical period). So many changes where happening at this time, and Paris was the cultural epicenter.

I may have born in the wrong century.

Just to take us even further away from the original thread idea, I like Histoires de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge (2010) which I think marks the opening of that august institution - not sure. Something about it makes me think of a pink L'Heure Bleue after a couple of glasses of champagne - at a stretch.

The first time I actually heard about a comparison between Debussy's music and Guerlain perfumes was by Luca Turin. I think it was in his review of Après l'Ondée.