Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 53 of 53
  1. #31

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    I should be getting samples of jicky, heritage and derby. If i enjoy them to any degree i will probably come in and report.

  2. #32

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    That is too funny. The refillable canister does look like that tower! LOL.
    I love JICKY and own the refillable EdT in the cross hatched design which I believe was previous to the modern one with the holes or dots. I also just bought a 1/4 oz of the extrait which hasn't arrived yet and I'm contemplating getting the EdP just to complete the picture.
    I had the oddest experience just this past week with JICKY EdT. I wore it to work one day including a spray on my wrist. The next day I wore something completely different but at about midday I swore I kept smelling JICKY. It was very pronounced. I thought it surely must be my imagination but I finally realized the aroma was coming from my wrist! And not just a mere phantom mind you, but full on JICKY. That was at least 36 hours from application and 1 shower later. It got even odder when the next day, a nose to my wrist proved it was still there. I used to believe it was fleeting too, but not anymore.

  3. #33

    AnthonyDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Jicky in the Parfum de Toilette form is actually very tame in terms of the civet/musk, which surprised me. It reminds me of the vintage (90's) Mouchoir de Monsieur.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Some background info on Guerlain: I can't remember where I heard this, but the story is that back in the day, the wives of powerful men in France--politicians, captains of industry, etc.--would wear fragrances by Caron. Their mistresses would wear Guerlain. This is to explain the underlying skankiness that so many Guerlains have (and that I love!)

  5. #35
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,082

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    ...I had the oddest experience just this past week with JICKY EdT. I wore it to work one day including a spray on my wrist. The next day I wore something completely different but at about midday I swore I kept smelling JICKY. It was very pronounced. I thought it surely must be my imagination but I finally realized the aroma was coming from my wrist! And not just a mere phantom mind you, but full on JICKY. That was at least 36 hours from application and 1 shower later. It got even odder when the next day, a nose to my wrist proved it was still there. I used to believe it was fleeting too, but not anymore.
    Same thing happened to me wearing the parfum (new formulation). That stuff not only has amazing tenacity but, like you, I have experienced phantom whiffs of it at the most oddest moments of my day. As a Basenoter, this can be a very intimate personal thing and quite delightful in the middle of a stressful day at the office.


    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Jicky in the Parfum de Toilette form is actually very tame in terms of the civet/musk, which surprised me. It reminds me of the vintage (90's) Mouchoir de Monsieur.
    I agree. I think the 'new' EdP is much more skanky than the vintage EdP/PdT.

  6. #36

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    I met Jicky last year and fell in love. A timeless classic that proves longevity and quality go hand- in- hand.

  7. #37

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    I'm an animal for Jicky. I bathe in it.

  8. #38

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Ha ha Killer vavooms: You know I do. I did a thread called "why mouchoir de monsieur" got dangerous real fast!

  9. #39

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Ha ha Killer vavooms: You know I do. I did a thread called "why mouchoir de monsieur" got dangerous real fast!
    lmdm, based on your long-time experience with Jicky, do you think the current formulation of the extrait is still made with high quality ingredients, or has it been cheapened to some degree?

  10. #40

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    I have about 6 of the new champagne coloured boxes under celophane, and only one in the old gold box. I have not broken into these new extracts yet, but The edt sure went "pouf!" in the new formulation--i don't even use that on anything but linens. I'm actually about to bust open a 30ml, and since i have so many new version units I'll save my one last old version gold & black boxed one for posterity. I hope it's OK. I might do a comparison post review on Jicky--they finally put my jicky review up when i coughed up the donation. I wonder if you can post more than one? Shall we start another tread? stay tuned.

  11. #41

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    I have about 6 of the new champagne coloured boxes under celophane, and only one in the old gold box. I have not broken into these new extracts yet, but The edt sure went "pouf!" in the new formulation--i don't even use that on anything but linens. I'm actually about to bust open a 30ml, and since i have so many new version units I'll save my one last old version gold & black boxed one for posterity. I hope it's OK. I might do a comparison post review on Jicky--they finally put my jicky review up when i coughed up the donation. I wonder if you can post more than one? Shall we start another tread? stay tuned.
    Just read the beautifully written review.

  12. #42

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    MDM,
    Had I not already been head over heels for JICKY your review in the directory would have made me so. I am so pleased to have learned so much about the background of this masterwork.

  13. #43

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    Ha ha Killer vavooms: You know I do. I did a thread called "why mouchoir de monsieur" got dangerous real fast!
    Where's that thread. I'm thrilled to have you around. Give us as much information as you can

  14. #44

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    i think if you go to my profile page there could be a link to it--ask loungeboy--he just jumped on--and so did mclmd-- Whheerrre'z'ah pah-tay?!? i haven't the faintest idea how to find it--a kind member walked me through starting it in about 5 private e-mails: I'm INEPT at any and all internet things--and barely know how to send an e-mail: it's called "Why Mouchoir de Monsieur?" it's been a riot! better put the kids to bed and lock the door before opening it! --sorry i don't know how to find it-- i'm near positive if you pull up my profile and click "find all posts" or something it will be there--i think.....(would post icon of blushing face if I knew how) MDM

  15. #45

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Just click on MDM's name in this thread and you'll see a "view forum posts". That's how I found it.

  16. #46

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Thanks Loungeboy: You're a pall. We could find each other in a crowded bar by waiving our hankies!

  17. #47

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    I'll seek to find it. Just read your review of Jicky and I'm blown away by it Thank you indeed for the wealth of historical information you've shared.
    Please, continue to tell us evrything possible about Guerlain and any other house. Beautiful review.

    Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    i think if you go to my profile page there could be a link to it--ask loungeboy--he just jumped on--and so did mclmd-- Whheerrre'z'ah pah-tay?!? i haven't the faintest idea how to find it--a kind member walked me through starting it in about 5 private e-mails: I'm INEPT at any and all internet things--and barely know how to send an e-mail: it's called "Why Mouchoir de Monsieur?" it's been a riot! better put the kids to bed and lock the door before opening it! --sorry i don't know how to find it-- i'm near positive if you pull up my profile and click "find all posts" or something it will be there--i think.....(would post icon of blushing face if I knew how) MDM

  18. #48

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Why Thank you ever so kindly Killer Vavoom! I can't stop smiling--the thread is hysterical--I've had such a good time with it. Ironically, I think it's very well book ended at this point, at least for the moment. So pleased you enjoyed my Jicky review--my favorite one that i've done thus far is for kiehl's original musk. I love doing them and hope to do more in the future--so pleased you approve. MDM

  19. #49

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    LMDM, I love your reviews too! They are very, very welcome here.

  20. #50

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Nice Jicky review LMdM!

    I may be wrong but I think it was that year Claude Debussy heard the first Gamelan Orchestra from Indonesia to visit Europe for the Paris Expo - his quest to reproduce those sonorities (and find the notes between the notes) informed some of his later works . . . les Pagodes etc.

  21. #51

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    \
    I may be wrong but I think it was that year Claude Debussy heard the first Gamelan Orchestra from Indonesia to visit Europe for the Paris Expo
    You are very correct indeed. It was from that point forward that the pentatonic scale dominated his works too. Gustave Lefèvre wrote the book Traité d'harmonie that year as well which marked along with the works of Debussy, Ravel, Faure and others a break with the musical theories of Rameau and the beginning of a truly revolutionary musical period in France (the Impressionist Musical period). So many changes where happening at this time, and Paris was the cultural epicenter.

  22. #52

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    I may have born in the wrong century.

    Just to take us even further away from the original thread idea, I like Histoires de Parfums 1889 Moulin Rouge (2010) which I think marks the opening of that august institution - not sure. Something about it makes me think of a pink L'Heure Bleue after a couple of glasses of champagne - at a stretch.

  23. #53

    Default Re: I have met Jicky for the first time

    The first time I actually heard about a comparison between Debussy's music and Guerlain perfumes was by Luca Turin. I think it was in his review of Après l'Ondée.


Similar Threads

  1. Jicky and Jicky Classic?
    By highdudgeon in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25th June 2008, 03:22 AM
  2. Yatagan arrived in time for Christmas, and now, time for re-gifting
    By finsfan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29th December 2007, 11:07 PM
  3. Jicky for men, Jicky for woman. Are they the same
    By DOCPSYCHO in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th October 2006, 08:51 PM
  4. Suggest a day time and night time fragrance guys
    By Raj in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th April 2006, 07:00 AM
  5. Suggest a day time and night time fragrance guys
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000