Code of Conduct

Question Can't send fragrance from US to Canada through USPS? When did this happen?

I just got done with one of the dumbest exchanges in a while. While at the post office I was sending out some items to people who bought stuff from me in the sellers forum.

Two of my packages were going to Canada and one to Hawaii. I had the customs forms filled out with "used cosmetics". The clerk asked "what kind of cosmetics?"
    I truthfully replied "fragrances."
    What he said next dumbfounded me: "Those are explosive in the air and we can't send them. They're prohibited from being sent international. They can only be sent ground."
    "Well can't you ship ground to Canada?"
    "Nope! Only air for international packages."
    I politely reminded him that I've sent and received fragrances from Canada all the time but he just said "I'm not going to argue with you."
    OK, fine. I gave him the third package, the one to Hawaii.
    He took it, weighed it and told me the total.
    "I guess you're going to ship that ground to Hawaii, huh?" I cracked.
    He just looked at me, shook his head and threw it in the outbound basket.

So now I have to pay out the nose for UPS to send it...
    Last edited by PorkFat; 23rd February 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can't send fragrance from US to Canada through USPS? When did this happen?

We haven't been able to send fragrances internationally for years now... Most people label them as gifts, or bottles, or make up...
    Last edited by mrclmind; 23rd February 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Default Re: Can't send fragrance from US to Canada through USPS? When did this happen?

I haven't run into problems before so they must be inconsistent with their practices. I've always marked them cosmetics and answered truthfully when asked if there's anything liquid under 3 ounces. They've never had a problem and I've been shipping back and forth with Canada for a year now.

Looks like I'll try again at another post office first.

But my main point was the fact that he had no problem sending some EdTs to Hawaii which is a third of an ocean away but can't ship ground to Canada, oh no!
    Last edited by PorkFat; 23rd February 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try used glassware...

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    "I guess you're going to ship that ground to Hawaii, huh?" I cracked.
    Hahaha, classic!

Yeah, I was thinking that or used collectible bottles or something. I mean, they are bottles and they are collectable...

"Used cosmetics" works for me, going both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

The Canada post system is ridiculous - we really do have a strange maze of beaurocracy that surrounds the most benign parcels.

Post Thanks / Like

I never tell them the package contains a fragrance. I always say it is a glass bottle/jar. I am always very hopeful that nothing crazy happens and it comes back to bite me later.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is interesting that the USPS International Mail Manual (see: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/ce_003.htm#ep5362476) does not list fragrance explicitly in its list of prohibited materials, but the fact that shipping is by air for all intents and purposes makes them unshippable. (Actually the IMM does list Shipments bearing caution labels indicating the contents are flammable, which may include fragrances.)

I won't lie to the Post Office.

And it isn't worth the risk and hassle for me to ship to Canada.

Prohibited substances for shipping to Canada, per the International Mail Manual include:

Oleomargarine and other butter substitutes, including altered or renovated butter.

Plumage and skins of wild birds.

Prison-made goods being sold or intended for sale by a person or firm.

Reprints of Canadian or British works copyrighted in Canada.

Reproductions of Canadian postage stamps unless printed in publications in black and white only and with a defacing line drawn across each reproduction.

Used or secondhand hives or bee supplies.

Interesting stuff!
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 23rd February 2010 at 05:34 PM.

It's always baffled me that frags can't officially be sent overseas, given the number of high alcohol spirits, pesticides and (when people could smoke on planes) lighter fluid that make the same runs every day, often not even in the hold.

Stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm this is why they wouldn't ship my perfumes to Canada when I marked them as "used beehives and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"

seriously though I always mark my fragrances as cosmetics and have even had customs open the packages a few times but they still go through
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think UPS won't send them either. I heard once about an exception for FedEx if the quantity is below a certain amount.

Post Thanks / Like

Scented Candles *wink*.
    Also gift-wrap them as presents... I am led to believe that, if the packages are opened, they will be less inclined to un-wrap a present. Or maybe Australia Post are less up-tight about packages.

That said, what a sad state the world is in. So much beige thinking about
    Last edited by Anthony87; 24th February 2010 at 05:19 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

they stopped asking me what I am shipping (unless they are new) at the post office due to my constant visits
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

yes, try a different post office... the "scented candles" idea is great too!
    Last edited by hawk; 24th February 2010 at 05:44 AM.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"Body Lotion" as an answer would not be a lie according to definition:

lotion /lo·tion/ (lo´shun) a liquid suspension, solution, or emulsion for external application to the body.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    yes, try a different post office... the "scented candles" idea is great too!
    I did both of these. The only thing I'm worried about are the 2 Varvatos bottles WON'T STOP SLOSHING! I couldn't do anything to silence them so I hope no one gets suspicious. I never thought there was any problem as I've sent frags to Japan and Australia and I've always been truthful with the contents. They seemed cool with the fact that they were less than 3 ounces.

I don't like lying. Especially if they open and inspect it. It will probably be destroyed, I'll be out the money in order to refund the person who didn't get what they ordered and I might get in trouble. It's not worth it to me to ship internationally any more.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    I did both of these. The only thing I'm worried about are the 2 Varvatos bottles WON'T STOP SLOSHING! I couldn't do anything to silence them so I hope no one gets suspicious. I never thought there was any problem as I've sent frags to Japan and Australia and I've always been truthful with the contents. They seemed cool with the fact that they were less than 3 ounces.

I don't like lying. Especially if they open and inspect it. It will probably be destroyed, I'll be out the money in order to refund the person who didn't get what they ordered and I might get in trouble. It's not worth it to me to ship internationally any more.
    One option to consider is to offer compensation (i.e., money) to the trader and should they be amenable offer the items for swap/sale in the US.