Code of Conduct

Default BMM10 The Road To The Final Spritz: Creed Region Preview

BMM10 The Road To The Final Spritz: Creed Region Preview

Hello Fragrance Fans and welcome to Spritz Center Iím your host Somerville Metro Man. The brackets have been set and the committee has placed all of the fragrances in their positions to make the run for the Golden Flacon indicative of a yearís worth of Scented Superiority. Last yearís champion Guerlain Habit Rouge was shown little respect as they were handed a 6 seed in the Guerlain Region. The number one seeds are Guerlain Vetiver in the Creed Region, Ralph Lauren Polo Green in the Serge Lutens Region, Thierry Mugler A*Men in the Guerlain Region and Yves St. Laurent Kouros in the Comme des Garcons Region. Overall Creed led all houses with 6 scents in the brackets followed by Chanel with 5, which somehow seems appropriate, and Guerlain and Dior both with 4. The howl that went up from the Guerlain HQ on the Champs-Elysees was loud. After placing three of the four Final Spritz competitors last year the outrage was genuine especially as last yearís Cinderella Mouchoir de Monsieur got shut out of this yearís tournament entirely. Weíll have to see how the brackets play out but overall this feels like quite an inclusive field with 38 different houses represented across the 65 entries.
    For the next four days Iím going to preview each region and provide my analysis of the brackets. This should help you all to play along in the prediction contest at this link http://www.basenotes.net/threads/245...ght=prediction

Weíll start with the Creed Region where the #1 seed is Guerlain Vetiver and right away they drew one of the Houses that got more bids than Guerlain, Chanel in the #16 seed Platinum Egoiste. This is an unusually tough opening match for Vetiver especially since they get the winner of the Thierry Mugler Cologne/Green Irish Tweed match next if they get by Platinum Egoiste. The committee did no favors for one of last yearís Final Four by placing two big hurdles right at the start. Whichever of these four fragrances makes it to the regional semifinals they will be battle tested and favored to take the region. Green Irish Tweedís stable mate Bois du Portugal is also in this region and looks to have a stroll into the regional semifinals as neither Burberry London or the eventual winner of YSL M7/Gucci pour Homme look like they can put up much resistance to Bois du Portugal having a huge home court advantage in the regional semifinal. It will be really interesting if Green Irish Tweed is there waiting for them when they get there.
    The other half of the bracket also has a chance to see two fragrances from the same House make the regional semifinal although it seems a much longer shot for the two Tom Ford fragrances Grey Vetiver and Tobacco Vanille. I think both will have a rough time getting out of the first round as Grey Vetiverís opponent Givenchy Pi is one of those underestimated fragrances with more popularity than expected and since Grey Vetiver is a rookie in the tournament I think Tom Ford will see better days in the future. Tobacco Vanille is going to really have a fight on itís hands in Chanel Antaeus. One of the cologne blue-bloods Antaeus is used to ruling things in the tournament and canít be happy with a draw that puts them on a likely collision course with last yearís beaten finalist Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. The gold turbaned fans of The Sultan want another chance at the gold and not even a Chanel is going to stand in their way. The fragrance I think they need to be worried about is the dark horse in the region Aramis Havana. I think it has an easy route to the regional semifinal over Azzaro Chrome followed by the winner of Pi/Grey Vetiver. Ever since Havana came back from its rebuilding project it has shown real strength and it is my pick to face Bois du Portugal in the Regional Final.
    Remember to get those predictions in, the committee chairman has some special surprises in store for the contestants so get those brackets submitted.
    Iíll be back tomorrow with the Serge Lutens Region breakdown. Until then, Somerville Metro ManÖ.Out!

Blog Entries

Default Re: BMM10 The Road To The Final Spritz: Creed Region Preview

Dude. I love it!

The common sentiment seems to be that Havana will breeze through the first two rounds and generally hit a brick wall. I predict it doing just that, going two rounds and losing to Ambre Sultan. It lost to GIT last year so against an eventual finalist I don't like it's chances. The most divisive games in the brackets I've received have been the M7/Gucci PH match and Antaeus/Tobacco Vanille. I'm skeptical about the latter, I think Antaeus has way more in the way of staying power, Tobacco Vanille is a hyped fragrance now, but lots of people have tried, and loved, Antaeus.

Overall the Creed Region's been the most agreed-upon of the regions in terms of majority selections.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Ambre Sultan vs BdP in the Creed region Elite Eight smackdown. Yeah! This'll be good. . .

bluesoul and SMM = Basenotes at its best.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

I just had a thought: if someone logs onto BN right now for the 1st time and reads this exact thread first, they will probably think that we all are CRAZY! No?

I guess we are a bit crazy.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just had a thought: if someone logs onto BN right now for the 1st time and reads this exact thread first, they will probably think that we all are CRAZY! No?

I guess we are a bit crazy.
    "think it"? Hell, they would nose it immediatly!

Thanks bluesoul and SMM..I was eagerly awaiting the 2nd edition of March Madness with accompanying commentary!
    Last edited by kbe; 24th February 2010 at 12:56 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon