Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default I got some Le Labo samples

First of all, I like how they offer samples for sale from their website.

Secondly, Le Labo sucks at naming their fragrances.

Bergamot 22: The best of the lot and appropriately named. It actually seems like a bergamot-centered fragrance. It's an woodsy/earthy citrus, which is interesting. I like this one. Not sure if it's FBW, but it's good.

Neroli 36: Where's the neroli? Well, there's some there, but it's not the star. This is mainly a very gentle musky white floral. Very feminine. Ok but, I wouldn't own it. Inappropriately named.

Vetiver 46: Should've been named Frankincense 46. I guess there's vetiver in there, but this is mainly and incense scent. It's ok if that's your thing.

Santal 33: I get no creaminess out of this. It just smells like dry wood. It's not bad, but I don't think I'd want to own it.

Rose 31: I tried this one a few months back, and it's terrible. Should've been named Spice 31. It's just a cumin bomb with a rose backdrop. Don't like it at all.

Other than Rose 31, none of these are bad. In fact Bergamot 22 is very good, but I don't think Le Labo strikes a chord with me. If you are looking for a incense scent, definitely try Vetiver 46 though, it's a soft, well done incense that is not overbearing like some of the others out there. In fact, if I ever seriously consider an incense, of the ones that I've tried, this would be a contender.

Default Re: I got some Le Labo samples

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post

LOl!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

First of all, I like how they offer samples for sale from their website.

Bergamot 22: The best of the lot and appropriately named. It actually seems like a bergamot-centered fragrance. It's an woodsy/earthy citrus, which is interesting. I like this one. Not sure if it's FBW, but it's good.

Neroli 36: Where's the neroli? Well, there's some there, but it's not the star. This is mainly a very gentle musky white floral. Very feminine. Ok but, I wouldn't own it. Inappropriately named.

Vetiver 46: Should've been named Frankincense 46. I guess there's vetiver in there, but this is mainly and incense scent. It's ok if that's your thing.

Santal 33: I get no creaminess out of this. It just smells like dry wood. It's not bad, but I don't think I'd want to own it.

Rose 31: I tried this one a few months back, and it's terrible. Should've been named Spice 31. It's just a cumin bomb with a rose backdrop. Don't like it at all.

Other than Rose 31, none of these are bad. In fact Bergamot 22 is very good, but I don't think Le Labo strikes a chord with me. If you are looking for a incense scent, definitely try Vetiver 46 though, it's a soft, well done incense that is not overbearing like some of the others out there. In fact, if I ever seriously consider an incense, of the ones that I've tried, this would be a contender.
    Wow I was looking on their website for samples too, but I decided to not pull the trigger due to the weak reviews. Your reviews just seal the deal on Le Labo for me.

Le Labo is known for misnaming. Apparently, a perfume is named after the ingredient in the highest percentage, which does not mean the one it's smelled the most.

In any case, you've missed my favorites, which I love and think are both bottle worthy and unique:
    Patchouli: a pitch dark, woody-chemical explosion
    Oud: (another misname) superdirty musk followed by elegant woods
    Iris: correctly named, a nice, dry iris
    Ylang: also correctly named, a woody ylang

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Le Labo is known for misnaming. Apparently, a perfume is named after the ingredient in the highest percentage, which does not mean the one it's smelled the most.

In any case, you've missed my favorites, which I love and think are both bottle worthy and unique:
    Patchouli: a pitch dark, woody-chemical explosion
    Oud: (another misname) superdirty musk followed by elegant woods
    Iris: correctly named, a nice, dry iris
    Ylang: also correctly named, a woody ylang

cacio
    Would probably skip the patchouli one and oud one (though I'd try them if I didn't have to pay )
    The Iris and Ylang seem interesting, though. I just thought they might lean too feminine (I've discovered leaning a tad feminine doesn't bother me one bit), so they didn't make it on my list. Maybe I should give them a shot.

You need to try poivre 23 before you give up on their brand completely it's probably their greatest work and one of their top selling city exclusives along with vanille 44... That's a good one too. Those are the only two le labo's that I own and I wouldn't want to be without them.

Mmmm Le Labo is so good.

Like everything in life, some things you'll like and some you wont. You know, you have tea people and coffee people.

Im in Aldehyde 44 today - aptly named.

The naming scheme is irrelevant to me because I'll try it anyways.
    If I like it, I like it regardless of what its called.
    for swap/sale:

OP out of curiousity, what kind of longevity and performance do you get out of Bergamote 22?

I can't remember what the performance was like, but i smelled it the other day on one of our friends and it made me crazy. I wanted to go buy a bottle immediately.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    OP out of curiousity, what kind of longevity and performance do you get out of Bergamote 22?

I can't remember what the performance was like, but i smelled it the other day on one of our friends and it made me crazy. I wanted to go buy a bottle immediately.
    These were my very first impressions. I've now had it on my wrist for... over 4 hours, and it's still going strong. I didn't spray much on at all, and it seems to be projecting pretty nicely, even at the 4 hour mark, which is not bad for a citrus. I can test it more thoroughly tomorrow or within the next few days.

These were my very first impressions. I've now had it on my wrist for... over 4 hours, and it's still going strong. I didn't spray much on at all, and it seems to be projecting pretty nicely, even at the 4 hour mark, which is not bad for a citrus. I can test it more thoroughly tomorrow or within the next few days.
    That sounds about right. 4-5 hours for something that smells this good is enough for me. I'm getting myself a bottle this weekend!

Rose 31 seems to be pretty much love or hate. Personally I love it. I would wish the cumin note wasn't there and it was centered more on the rose, but I do still get a lot of rose, and it's unlike any rose I've ever smelled.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

It took me a while to come around to Le Labo, but now I'm an admirer of the outfit. I own Rose 31 and Oud 27, and have sampled pretty much everything else. They do have a few duds for me (Neroli, Ambrette, maybe Labdanum), but the majority of the line is impressively bold and of high quality. They're just not going to be for everyone, but being a bit feisty is part of the company's brand.

As cacio pointed out, the names are built from the ingredient in highest concentration, followed by the number of other ingredients. It's sort of their "Dogme 95" method of naming a perfume without creating a fantasy label. It's funny that it sometimes creates the "fantasy" of a primary note which isn't actually prominent, but there you go. Better to just smell each and not let the name create a big expectation.

By the way, Ylang 49 really is great; gorgeous even. More folks should check it out.

I love Le Labo, one of my favourite houses for sure! Some great fragrances in the line IMO

Have to check them out myself.

OP: I couldn't agree with you more.

My impression: they charge how much for this stuff?????