Code of Conduct

Default Havana, at last!

Some of you may be aware of my anger at Aramis (probably my favourite house) going back on their original announcement last year and deciding not to release Havana as part of the Gentlemens Collection here in the UK. Despite several e-mails to Estee Lauder, I've not had a single reply, which has made things even more frustrating. It was recently starting to get to a point where I was ready to consider taking the customs risk and shelling out on shipping and asking a kindly US based BNer (wooznib was pretty much ready to go - thanks wooznib) to box one up and send it over. But something else happened...

I've been buying from eBay for about 10 years now, but in all that time I've never won an auction. Not one. Usually I'm sniped at the last second by literally a few pennies, or the bidding quickly goes way beyond what is sensible and what I'm prepared to pay. Last week I spotted a UK seller with a gift set, still boxed, of the original Havana - 100ml EDT and 100ml ASB. BIN for £80, or bid away from £30. What the hell I thought - let's watch it and see how the bidding goes. Things were initially looking good - several days in and there was only one bid, so I kept watching and planned to bid a few minutes before the end of the auction (handily the auction was due to finish when I'd normally be on lunch at work) and then have another bid for a few pounds more ready in another page. But then disaster struck - a work meeting which I had to attend could only take place on one day. You guessed it - the last day of the auction. To make matters worse I'd be in a room with no PC, let alone internet connection, and my mobile...well, let's just say no one thought you could get the internet on a mobile phone when I bought it.

Auction lost, as far as I was concerned. But, for the sheer hell of it, the morning of the meeting and auction finish I put on a max bid of £45 - roughly what a bottle of the new Havana would cost (give or take) - cos if you don't play, you don't win right? Imagine my surprise when, later that evening at home, I fired up the laptop and logged on to see that I'd won the chuffing original Havana set, for £45!!!! And the other person bidding against me gave up at £45 - £1 and he could've won it!

So, today, I got home to a rectangular shaped package. Yes sir, the Havana box has arrived. £45 is perhaps more than I was hoping, but at least it wasn't the £80 BIN price and at least I wasn't around during the end of the auction when I could've easily ended up either chickening out or bidding as much as £60. So I think £45 is a good price considering it's the set - the box it came in looked new, the EDT was sprayed once by the seller (he apparently quickly realised it wasn't his bag) and the ASB not used at all. And I remember liking it when I originally smelt it in the 90s (though, stupidly, I never got a bottle of it for some reason, despite already being an Aramis fan), but I had forgotten just how good a frag it is. Amazing juice.

I'm a happy man this evening, with a bottle of the original Havana to my name.

Default Re: Havana, at last!

Grats Badir! I am glad you got a hold of some.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Thanks wooznib. May I say you were my hero just for offering up the option of being my connect!

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

nice snag great_badir! My personal opinion is that the reissue is so close to the vintage it is for all practical purposes exactly the same. Enjoy!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, if you want to win something one Ebay you have to be a

I don't even bother bidding on anything if I'm not going to be around at the end time. I'll set my alarm clock to wake me up in the middle of the night mere minutes from an auction end.

Congratulations, though.

I win 90% of Ebay auctions I go in for with precisely timed snipes.

I've got it down to a fine art.

I love Ebay...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I win 90% of Ebay auctions I go in for with precisely timed snipes.

I've got it down to a fine art.

I love Ebay...
    I used to be able to do that with a fairly high degree of success, but lately bidders have been using software that allows them to set a max price and snipe anything below it literally milliseconds before the end of the auction. Swooping in 5 seconds before the auction ends used to be sufficient - not so much these days.

At least I guess that's how they're doing it That or I've lost my touch!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I used to be able to do that with a fairly high degree of success, but lately bidders have been using software that allows them to set a max price and snipe anything below it literally milliseconds before the end of the auction. Swooping in 5 seconds before the auction ends used to be sufficient - not so much these days.

At least I guess that's how they're doing it That or I've lost my touch!
    "Snipeware" is the bane of the honest bidder...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Cool story. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Everyone loves "thrill of the kill" stories. Good one.

Post Thanks / Like

That Cat is really Cool, like a Marine Sharpshooter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Cool story. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Everyone loves "thrill of the kill" stories. Good one.
    Oh, you! You are being a Sarcastic Sam now, aren't ya? There are those who snipe and those who are sniped. It's the nature of the beast. Unless Ebay changes the way it works and extends auction times when bids are placed last minute, it's the best way to go. Start a bidding war days before the auction ends and drive up the price? Thanks, but no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    Oh, you! You are being a Sarcastic Sam now, aren't ya? There are those who snipe and those who are sniped. It's the nature of the beast. Unless Ebay changes the way it works and extends auction times when bids are placed last minute, it's the best way to go. Start a bidding war days before the auction ends and drive up the price? Thanks, but no thanks!
    Heavens no. I meant it sincerely. I love thrill-of-the-kill stories. That's what collecting is all about. Right on!

Got this baby on a day I was already on my hands and knees scouring fragrance-shop dark corners. So I know how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    "Snipeware" is the bane of the honest bidder...
    OMG! "Snipeware"!? Dost mine eyes deceive? Be back later. Going hunting. Target: honest bidder.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had some luck with the glorious Havana on Ebay. I bid on a brand new sealed 'Gentleman's Collection' bottle and won it for £28.88 including postage!! Arrived 6 days later - smells even better than I expected!! Considering its following and reputation amongst you guys I thought it was a pretty safe 'blind buy'...!

And again, thank-you to Wooznib for the offer of shipping one over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratuations!

I myself ym on the constant lookout for one of those babies.
    Unfrtunately (or rather luckily?) most of the stores that carry the gentlemens collection don't have testers and I'm not the one who cant afford to shell out the big bucks due to only reputation.

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations, I got my bottle of vintage Havana a year ago and I am still kicking my head on the wall for not buying all the bottles in the store, I hope the basenotes God can forgive me....

Thanks for the comments all. It's my SOTD today and I'm happy as a pig in sh*t!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Havana, at last!

Wow, congrats to your find!
    Havana is the best male fragrance around, which, unlike with feminine perfumes, i can easily decide.
    This is the one and only men's HG scent-material!
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled some last year ( thanks Dimitri )& was impressed enuff to put it on my want list immediately .
    Now in a few weeks a fellow basenoter (ohhmygod ) is heading to the Orient for a vacation & he'll return with some bottles of Havana , one of which will become mine .
    Im really looking forward to wearing it & giving the Montana a rest or a few years .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

I already asked this in another thread but where is it available in the States? I have been everywhere and can't find it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know Macy's & Bloomingdales had it...

Post Thanks / Like

Default ---

---
    Last edited by neal; 14th March 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post

I don't even bother bidding on anything if I'm not going to be around at the end time. I'll set my alarm clock to wake me up in the middle of the night mere minutes from an auction end.

Congratulations, though.

That's what the maximum bid feature is for ;')

Post Thanks / Like

I own the Current Bottle
    and I was not very impressed with it
    I much prefer Derby EdT to Havana
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab