Code of Conduct

Arrow Bvlgari Aqva or Cool Water?

I'm trying to round out my collection and am wanting to add an aquatic fragrance. I found my decant of Cool Water and wore it for the first time today. It was "nice", and I have nothing bad to say about it. I am also considering the Bvlgari Aqva as an alternative, but haven't tried it yet. The only turn off of Cool Water (and no fault of its own) is that it's such a popular fragrance and a bit overexposed.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome but I'm not interested in spending the money for GIT ( My nose probably isn't sophisticated enough to tell a big difference) and Acqua Di Gio is also out of the question. Thanks!

Default Re: Bvlgari Aqva or Cool Water?

Get Live Jazz instead.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/244...e-Please-help!

I dislike Cool Water and Aqva, but Aqva is better.
    Last edited by Spray; 24th February 2010 at 05:40 AM.

bvlgari Aqua
    its not too common and smells wonderful
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Dependent

Just general info that I acquired and thought I passed on: Cool Water is grouped in the Aromatic Fougere category. It does not (or may be it was not meant to) resemble an aquatic, scent-wise. It smells like a fresh, invigorating, sweet and green scent.

Aqva on the other hand is (to my nose) a bonafide marine-aquatic, one that actually feels devoid of the usual citrus/fruity/floral/wood accords (in ADG, Issey and the likes) one that actually makes me think: "sea water". Very unique this one, you will have a hard time finding another scent that runs in the same vein as Aqva.

Hope this helps.

Try as I might I have never been able to like Cool Water or Aqva. For aquatic try Issey Miyake or Kenzo.

What matthewfoo said!
    I've never understood why people call CW an aquatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    What matthewfoo said!
    I've never understood why people call CW an aquatic.
    They call it an aquatic because "Water" is in the title. Advertising plays tricks on people.
    Last edited by Spray; 24th February 2010 at 06:06 AM.

I don't think it would be a good idea to buy a large bottle of aqua without some testing first. It certainly is quite different from the
    cool water/AdG type frags. You could get Cool Water Frozen, which is similar to the original, and at least feel some kind of psycological difference, if nothing else. I think that Nautica Oceans would be a pretty good compromise between the two frags.

Cool Water

Sur la Plage

Bulgari Aqua most definitely.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bvlgaryi Aqua

Bulgari Aqua.

Cool Water

Ok, I think I would prefer the Live Jazz to the Cool Water. I have the original Jazz frag and like it. After reading Mr. Spray's thread I'm considering Hanae Mori EDT, too. I've actually been watching a few bottles of it on Ebay and it sounds pretty good too.

I know I really should go down to the mall and try some of these, but I kind of feel bad going down and trying fragrances I will go home to buy online ( for half the price.) I don't feel bad for the store, but for the SAs that help me. 90% of the fragrances I own (80-90) have been blind buys with almost no regrets. I have been lucky because I found a reviewer with a "similar nose".

Thanks for all the input. Decisions, Decisions....

I would recommend Live Jazz, too.

Blog Entries

I have and enjoy both. Cool Water is indeed very similar to GIT. I do prefer Aqva over Cool Water though, so it gets my vote in this comparison. However, as others have recommended, test it first.

I have yet to sample Live Jazz so I'm even more curious about it.

As far as Cool Water vs. Bvlgari Aqva, it depends on your taste. Cool Water is a fresh, sweet invigorating fougere while Bvlgari Aqva is a masculine aquatic scent and is salty, marine, contains no citrus and basically smells like the deep sea.

I personally prefer Cool Water despite it's popularity. Bvlgari is good although rather subdued and can get sour on some occasions. You can't over spritz on it which is good although I'm not fond of the very low sillage but the longevity is great. Cool Water lasts even longer and has great sillage as well.

I've tried/owned all the ones you mention. CW is referred to as an aquatic, but really BA is a true "aquatic". I'd suggest testing it though, very ocean breazy salty sort of smell, unique, but test. I would still suggest at least testing GIT. It can be found cheaper online, and IMO the incrimental difference between spending $30-50 at discount for a normal $100 frag and spending $100 at discount for a $200 frag seems like a lot % wise, but in terms of real dollars, think of all the things you easily spend $50-100 on and how little they end up getting used. If you really love a frag and it makes you feel great, to me it's worth the money. It'll last for years and I can use it all the time. I can't say the same for any $100 ties I've bought.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I went ahead and bought both Live Jazz and Bvlgari. The Hanae Mori will have to wait until next time and I'm also eyeballing a bottle of Paco Robanne Black XS. Must... have... more... fragrances...

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    I went ahead and bought both Live Jazz and Bvlgari. The Hanae Mori will have to wait until next time and I'm also eyeballing a bottle of Paco Robanne Black XS. Must... have... more... fragrances...
    Excellent decision!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Go with the Bvlgari Aqva! It has some surprises for you in the drydown and it is beautiful.

Gotta pick up Black XS too, get's a lot of compliments!