Code of Conduct

Thread: Rocabar!

Default Rocabar!

I stopped in at the local Neiman Marcus today to check out some Guerlains with the intention of picking something up. As it turned out they where out of both Mitsuko and Habit Rouge and didn't even have testers for Heritage or Mouchoir de Monsieur (which were the four frags I was specifically interested in.) Since I was chomping at the bit to pull the trigger, I headed over to where the Hermes frags were located and viola! Rocabar! I never saw it coming! I've seen it talked about here and there, but never enough to make me take it that seriously.

Since the SA was so nice as to give me a few decants, I'm wearing Habit Rouge on my left hand and Mitsuko on my right, but I can't stop lifting up the neck of my shirt to sniff the Rocabar I sprayed on my chest. Rocabar for the win!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rocabar!

Yup. Rocabar is awesome! My review:

Woody, aromatic, spicy, herbal, fairly sweet — and a chypre. I find this a very appealing scent. Like most Hermès creations, this smells elegant. I can wear this to work, but it's also perfect for an evening engagement of a more personal character, dinner or a date; perhaps it would be most appropriate at an elegant soirée. One of things it does suggest to me is a night on the town. The juniper berries and cedar really take the lead with this. Lavender, spices and vanilla provide the underpinning and the chypre accord does the heavy lifting. Key words: Smooth. Elegant. Relaxed. Confident.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 24th February 2010 at 07:27 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Rocabar is, in my opinion, one of the smoothest and most distinctive "mature" fragrances I know (meaning, a lavishly spicy and aromatic concoction, whose sense of style is so bold and that unique, that it will always stand out above present-day fads)

It`s a great scent indeed. If you like it, I recommend you to try Creed Baie de Genievre also. It`s even more refined and classy than Rocabar.

It's a very stylish frag that oozes maturity and class without smelling old fashioned. It works quite well in hot weather too. Some have said that Rocabar lacks in longevity and sillage coupled with a boring drydown. I don't agree at all with that as from start to finish Rocabar is perfect.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I think Rocabar is great too. It was my first serious fragrance and remains a favorite. I don't think I will ever tire of it.

I have never managed to smell it but it is always on my list and I have my radar on.

Rocabar is a wonderful scent.

Rocabar has perhaps the most dazzling top notes I have ever smelled. They're simply awesome. I wore Rocabar years ago simply because I loved the top notes so much. Since then, however, I've lost the love for it because the drydown just smells so sour and bland to me (I didn't care about the drydown years ago when I was a newbie). I may be my own skin that is ruining the drydown for me. I still have a bottle, so I should try sampling it on paper to see if my opinion changes.

I never thought much of Rocabar because I apparently mistook as coming from Rocawear. Not my style. I guess I need to give it a try! Thanks for the great tip!

This thread inspired me to wear Rocabar today and I am loving it (as always)!

Another fan of Rocabar here. It's a favorite cedar and also a great pick-me-up frag.

Count me as another huge fan!

I wore it yesterday. Never ceases to impress.

One of those great ones that always seems to fly under the BN radar.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

While I haven't had any problems with with the dry down as of yet, I can see your point. It switches gears pretty drastically when the spicy pine notes burn off, and those are my favorite. I found myself reapplying occasionally just to smell the top notes again.

Lavender AND juniper! Well, that leaves me out. I don't want to even think of how many bottles I'd have now if I really liked lavender, juniper, and geranium. I'm trying to get into the licorice/anise type of frag now. I think my initial and strong dislike of it came from the combination of it with lavender.

Basenotes Institution

I love many Hermes fragrances. I do not like Rocabar.

Gave it a test once, and was sort of ambivalent. I'll have to try it again. Thanks for the tip!

One of my favorite green scents. It's lively and bracing, and the creamy drydown is most pleasant. A spring/summer staple for me.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

^Creamy and pleasant aren't normally associated with pine/evergreen scents, but the are suitable to describe Rocabar's drydown.
    This is by far my favorite evergreen/balsam scent.
    Has just enough tonka/vanilla and sweet spice to make it contemporary,
    and enough class and distniction to make it near timeless.
    However, unlike the others,
    I am one who is not particularly fond of the top notes,
    I am far more fond of the mid and basenotes.
    To me, the topnotes remind me of fresh growing dill slightly.

As a big fan of TdH, Eau d'Orange Verte, and EdH, I've long wanted to try Rocabar, Equipage and Bel Ami. I know it sounds irrational, but my inability to figure out which of these to try first has somehow delayed my trying any of them. I should probably just bite the bullet and buy three samples from the Perfumed Court!

=DULLAH;1760613However, unlike the others,
    I am one who is not particularly fond of the top notes,
    I am far more fond of the mid and basenotes.
    To me, the topnotes remind me of fresh growing dill slightly.
    I prefer the mid and basenotes as well.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 25th February 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Yes this is a wonderful scent.....Class in a bottle.....Gary

I'm reading all of this praise and have to agree with it except for the smooth and elegant parts. I've always associated the scent with getting smacked in the face with a pine bough while riding a 15 hand horse through the woods at full gallop. Not that that's a bad thing, just kind of wild, wooly, and rough and about as far away from smooth and elegant as it gets for me. Guess that's a hallmark of a good one - that it can be so many different things to so many different users and still be well liked.

Chalk me up as another fan of Rocabar... I don't have any longevity probs with it either, a very classy and distinctive smelling fragrance.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have to decide between Rocabar and Rochas Lui.

It would be interesting to read your comparison too.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I love the top, mid and base notes of Rocabar. The extreme end of the dry down actually is my least favorite part but that's being very nit-picky. This is not a "green" chypre as it is often labeled. It is a "coniferous/woody" chypre. If you are looking for a green scent you will be very disappointed. No green crushed leaves of grass here... Rocabar is all about spiced conifer needles, juniper berries, lavender, cypress and cedar over benzoin, styrax, vanilla and balsamic notes.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 25th February 2010 at 02:10 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Chalk me up as another fan of Rocabar... I don't have any longevity probs with it either, a very classy and distinctive smelling fragrance.
    word for word
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I love the top, mid and base notes of Rocabar. The extreme end of the dry down actually is my least favorite part but that's being very nit-picky. This is not a "green" chypre as it is often labeled. It is a "coniferous/woody" chypre. If you are looking for a green scent you will be very disappointed. No green crushed leaves of grass here... Rocabar is all about spiced conifer needles, juniper berries, lavender, cypress and cedar over benzoin, styrax, vanilla and balsamic notes.
    I agree totally that Rocabar does not smell all all green to me. I find it very spicy and sweet, but not at all green or pine-y.

I have to say that this thread has inspired me to dust off my bottle of Rocabar and revisit it.

I too accidentally stumbled upon Rocabar and really liked it.

I think I like this fragrance. It's hard to tell since I had 6 other samples on my skin. Can someone tell me another scent that smells similar so I have a better understanding about it ?

Thanks

I acquired a small bottle of this one and while it's not my favorite type of frag (in the Envy for Men area), I find it the best of that bunch, and possibly worth a wear once every couple of months.