Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question The Real Apple mentioned in the Bible.....Pomegranate.

Pomegranate; the fruit of the ages and a component, if not center stage, in perfumery these days. The problem; I need a definition of it's olfactory signature as in; it smells like what in fragrance? What pomegranate fragrances find favor with you and why? Recommendations? Perhaps something with exotic flavor of the Middle East; say incense, myrrh, and the like? Did not find much in the Directory using the note.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 24th February 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Default Re: The Real Apple mentioned in the Bible.....Pomegranate.

Have you tried the Santa Maria Novella Melograno EDC.
    I find it's tart juicy pomegranate very appealing.

pomegranate is that VERY obvious sharp fruity-juicy note in center of Versace-Bright Crystal. Actually, this perfume, to my nose, smells 80% like real pomegranate.

I like the taste of pomegranate a lot. But it has too many seeds, and I rarely have the patience...

I enjoy the juice very much.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 24th February 2010 at 11:26 AM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

With 31 fragrances popping up in the Directory after one has typed "pomegranate" in the notes, you are sure to find one for yourself. I am NOT too much of a fan, though (hints: Fr. "grenade", It. "melograno" = tree, "melagrana" = fruit itself), and I do not find too much of a fruit in SMN Melograno and plain hate Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir. To my nose the pomegranate note is prominent in Moschino Couture! (that I am trying to sell and nobody is buying the partial bottle in the dedicated forum), but this scent is one of 31 popping up.

One of the Persephone's fruit fragrances stands out for me, it is Armand Ventillo 1ere Journey -- davana, pomegranate, plum, pepper, violets, jasmine, amber, incense. Snitch it if you see one somewhere and run quick!

Please, do not get me wrong -- I like pomegranates as food.
    Last edited by Twolf; 24th February 2010 at 12:04 PM.

But what makes you suspect it might be "center stage in perfumery these days"? Not that I know every (or even the majority) perfume out there but I rarely see it mentioned. Is it kept a secret?

Hmmm...I thought the *real* apple of the Bible was the persimmon. This fruit is prevalent in the Middle East and Asia, and I have seen some Middle Eastern Bibles with Eve holiding a persimmon...

I am trying to think of something with a pomegranate note in the meantime...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Of course you are right, Ms.P. I was hesitant to mention it and referred to pomegranate simply as Persephone's fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Hmmm...I thought the *real* apple of the Bible was the persimmon.
    And here I was having been told it was more like a quince! *Get your facts straight historical writers!*

Pomegranate Noir is the only scent that sprung to mind, but Twolf already mentioned it.

The only ones I know are SMN Melograno, Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir, and Gandini 1896 Melograno ed Incenso.

I like the SMN and own a bottle. It's tart and powdery at the same time. Too old fashioned for some people, but I think it's wonderful.

It took me while to get Pomegranate Noir. After I had worked my way through a large sample I grew to love it and bought a full bottle. I have to admit that I disliked it after trying it the first couple of times. It smelled like spoiled fruit to me at first, but I gradually grew to appreciate it.

The Gandini may be hard to find. It's similar to the Jo Malone in overall feel, but more easily likable. The incense is a good foil to the pomegranate. This is a cologne spray, but I find all the Gandini colognes I've tried to be as strong or stronger than most EDTs, with decent longevity.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 24th February 2010 at 01:53 PM.

I like Pomegranate Noir. To me it smells like Christmas. Perfect for winter. (/offtopic)

Hm, I did always hear that the original biblical "apple" was a pomegranate, rather than a persimmon or quince. It could be that I'm confusing it with its place in Christian symbology (for resurrection, fertility and/or abundance) as co-opted from Greek mythology (The myth of Persephone/Proserpina).

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    I like the taste of pomegranate a lot. But it has too many seeds, and I rarely have the patience...
    I usually crunch my way through the seeds - can't be bothered.

Pomegranate has strong fruity, zesty, slightly berry and citrus-like flavor and a fragrance that matches that. Honestly, I have never found the actually fruit to be strongly scented ( unlike the truly heavenly japonica quince, for example ). You can only really "smell" pomegranate by squishing the pulp.

Quote Originally Posted by monoļ View Post
    I usually crunch my way through the seeds - can't be bothered.
    Ditto! De-seeding a pomegranate just isn't worth the time.

Keiko Mecheri Grenades and Tocca Eau de Touch also have pomegranate

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Ditto! De-seeding a pomegranate just isn't worth the time.
    Not to mention messy!!

Consider Pomegranate Noir.

Consider a sample, please, I hate it and I tried, trust me!