Code of Conduct

Default What Essential Oils/aromachemicals do you consider the most important to perfumery?

I had originally wanted to concentrate on only Natural Perfume and have read several books on the subject (still reading Essence & Alchemy...great book!), but I feel myself getting drawn twards some of the master bases from Perfumer's Apprentice such as musk, amber, citrus etc. I'm drawn to these because of ease of use, cost, phototoxic issues with the citrus oils and because of environmental concerns (sandalwood and rosewood). I would like to stay heavy on the EOs in my future blends and add in a few aromachemicals (master bases) here and there. The list I made up for what EOs I'd like to purchase has grown to epic proportions and I will be buying mostly the sample sizes but I need to whittle it down a bit, what would you say the most important EOs and or aromachemicals are for a beginner perfumer. I'm purchasing the bulk of these from both Perfumer's Apprentice and Eden Botanicals.

I guess I should ask what would YOU order if you had $500.00 at your disposal and knew then what you know now.

Any help would be appreciated. Becky
    Last edited by Becky1966; 24th February 2010 at 09:51 PM.

Default Re: What Essential Oils/aromachemicals do you consider the most important to perfumery?

For 500 USD you can purchase a lot.

Let's give it a shot:
    - EO Bergamot
    - EO Lavender
    - EO Lemon
    - EO Mandarine
    - Citral
    - EO Orange sweet
    - cis 3 Hexenol
    - Agrumex
    - Violet leaf Absolute
    - Stemone
    - EO Juniper Berry
    - EO Galbanum
    - Bornyl Acetate Liquid
    - EO Wintergreen
    - EO Cypress
    - EO Fir
    - EO Star Anise
    - EO Clary Sage
    - EO Armoise
    - EO Basil
    - EO Chamomille (any)
    - Linalool
    - Linalyl acetate
    - EO Rosewood
    - EO Sage Dalamtian
    - EO Eucalyptus
    - EU Thyme
    - Aldehyde C8
    - Aldehyde C9
    - Aldehyde C10
    - Aldehyde C11 MNA
    - Aldehyde C11 enic
    - Aldehyde C12 Lauric
    - Scentenal
    - Helional
    - Calone
    - EO Tagetes
    - Aldehyde C14
    - Aldehyde C16
    - Aldehyde C18
    - EO Davana
    - Hexyl cinnamic aldehyde
    - Benzyl butyrate
    - Amyl Salicylate
    - Lyral
    - Lillial
    - Terpineol Alpha
    - Jasmin Absolute
    - EO Ylang ylang (any)
    - Hedione
    - Benzyl acetate
    - Styrolyl acetate
    - Mimosa Absolute
    - PADMA
    - Phenyl ethyl alcohol
    - Geraniol
    - Citronellol
    - EO Rose
    - EO Geranium
    - Rose Absolute
    - Methyl anthranilate
    - EO Neroli
    - Oranger crystalls
    - EO Petitgrain
    - EO Patchouli
    - EO Carrot seed
    - Eugenol
    - EO Cloves
    - EO Cinnamon leaf
    - Cinnamic aldehyde
    - Cinnamic alcohol
    - Benzaldehyde
    - Anis aldehyde
    - EO Pepper
    - EO Frankincense
    - EO Koriander seed
    - Methyl ionone
    - Ionone Alpha
    - EO Orris (Orris concrete)
    - Oakmoss absolute
    - Labdanum Resinoid
    - EO Vetiver
    - EO Cedar Virginia
    - EO Sandalwood (or replacement like Sandal Mysore Core)
    - Cedramber
    - Iso E Super
    - Vertenex
    - Vertofix
    - Vanillin
    - Benzyl Salicylate
    - Benzoin Siam Resinoid
    - Coumarin
    - Cetalox or Ambrox
    - Castoreum Absolute (or replacement)
    - Civet Absolute (or replacement)
    - Ethylene brassylate
    - Galaxolide
    - Exaltolide
    - Musk ketone
    - Safraleine
    - Iso Butyl Quinoline

I am sure I forgot some important materials, but well, it still is a start.

Default Re: What Essential Oils/aromachemicals do you consider the most important to perfumery?

Thanks janmeut!! Wow that's quite a list, I have about 50% of those oils on my list but I'm going to have to look up what some (most) of the aromachems you listed are, at least I love researching!

I actually have about $400.00 to play with for EOs and chemicals as some will have to go to shipping and some for bottles, vials, funnels and other assorted stuff. I am lucky that my husband is giving me the start up money to get this hobby off the ground....it's not cheap! As you all well know.

Thanks again! Becky
    Last edited by Becky1966; 25th February 2010 at 12:30 PM.

I agree with Janmeut's list. I buy most of my materials from either Eden Botanicals (for natural oils) and Perfumer's Apprentice (aromachemicals mostly, but I've also discovered some wonderful oils from Perfumer's Apprentice-- especially the John Steele oils which are really vivid.)

Also, I bought my initial perfumer's organ from Perfumer's World which is in Thailand. I ordered the K-161 kit which has 161 raw materials-- a great introductory perfume organ. Unfortunately, it looks like the price has gone up. I don't recall what I paid for mine, but it's now $775-- I think it was under $600 when I bought mine.

Again, Janmeut's list is pretty comprehensive.

I would LOVE to get all of the John Steele oils as I've heard nothing but raves about them, their prices arn't that bad either which is always nice, though I wouldn't hesitate to pay more for high quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 25th February 2010 at 08:21 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Also, do try to get both the steam distilled and C02 extractions of the various essential oils available. Often times the C02 extracts are much more lively and true to the plant than the steam distillations. Of course, sometimes one or the other is 'just the thing for the job', so it's best to have as many variants as possible.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Becky1966 View Post
    I would LOVE to get all of the John Steele oils as I've heard nothing but raves about them, their prices arn't that bad either which is always nice, though I wouldn't hesitate to pay more for high quality.
    The Jon Steele Vetiver Haiti is incredible.

hirch_duckfinder Thanks for your list, I'm going to look up Bigarde and Pimenta Racemosa as I havn't heard of those 2 but the rest of your list has been put on my to buy list (most of them were there already). Why your post didn't show up here I don't know...

SculptureOfSoul I have a bunch of CO2s on my list as I've been reading about how strong and true they tend to be, they sound very intriguing ...I am however staying clear of any concretes and resins for a bit till I get my feet wet.

Indie_Guy I may just have to shell out the $21.50 for that! For 12 ml that's not a bad deal it it's a must have.

[QUOTE=Becky1966;1760448]I had originally wanted to concentrate on only Natural Perfume and have read several books on the subject (still reading Essence & Alchemy...great book!), but I feel myself getting drawn twards some of the master bases from]

Thanks for asking that question Becky. It is now 2 yrs after yr original and I love the answer you got. I am like you and have been working with EO's for a while and only just discovered Perfumers Apprentice. I can't wait to make an order there.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Didnt realise this was a revived thread. He answer s redundant.

Javanol and Timberol (Timber Propanol) and DPG
    http://www.aromatisches-blog.de
    Here`s something for the tip of your nose!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarinchen View Post
    Javanol and Timberol (Timber Propanol) and DPG
    OK. I didn't realise redundancy could occur as fast as 2 yrs..

- - - Updated - - -

I put the first answer in the wrong place, I wrote that I didn't realise redundancy could occur so quickly. So what is your opinion about that question ClaraAus?

- - - Updated - - -

oh, I just found your ideas on the question at the bottom of my mail in hotmail. Thanks