Code of Conduct

Default Is there anything really wrong with "perfumer's alcohol"?

I've read through all the past posts here, loads of great info!! I kept reading that Everclear 190 seemed to be the alcohol of choice but seeing as though I'm smack dab in the middle of no Everclear land (Massachusetts) and would have to drive all the way down to Connecticut to get Everclear...if I could even find it....I though ordering some perfumer's alcohol from Snowdrift Farm might be a good substitute, is it? their literature seems compelling enough. I'd mostly like to stick to either Jojoba and or FCO (possibly a mix of the two) in the beginning of my perfumery attempts, but I would like to delve into alcohol at some point, as some have said it's a totally different experience scentwise.

Thoughts?
    Becky
    Last edited by Becky1966; 24th February 2010 at 10:30 PM.

Default Re: Is there anything really wrong with "perfumer's alcohol"?

Why should there be anything wrong with it? I use perfumer's alcohol from Snowdrift, and it works just fine. I think people use Everclear because in some places they can just go to a local store and buy it, saving on postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    Why should there be anything wrong with it? I use perfumer's alcohol from Snowdrift, and it works just fine. I think people use Everclear because in some places they can just go to a local store and buy it, saving on postage.
    There's nothing wrong with perfumer's alcohol, but if you have access to Everclear, it's a lot cheaper and actually better. I find that some kinds of denatured alcohol can have a very slight bitter smell. I do feel bad for people who live in places where Everclear is not sold. For me, it's so cheap and pure that I don't have to ration it the way I would when I was using perfumer's alcohol. Use whatever you can get, but if you do get a chance to get some Everclear, stock up! ( Everclear is made by a company here in my hometown of St. Louis.)
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 25th February 2010 at 08:42 AM.

Racking my brain as to how I was going to get my hands on some Everclear I remembered my long lost uncle (he and my aunt divorced some 20 years ago) has a Package store in CT! I still occasionally have contact with his kids so I MAY have a direct link right there! I'd much rather drive down to CT, visit my cousins and pick up some Everclear than order the perfumer's alcohol. It would also be a great excuse to vist my grandparents as they live down that way too....and I'm way overdue for a visit.

I tried Snowdrift's perfumer alcohol, and found it just fine. My only complaint is that it's expensive. I highly recommend you find out how much it would cost to order alcohol from www.remetalcohol.com instead.