Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Vintage Mitsouko

Today I had my first experience with vintage formula Mitsouko. What a treasure. I have 3 versions of the edt so far, and vintage is the deepest of them all. The first bottle of Mitsouko is a recent version and is a lovely scent (soft and clean). The second version I got was from the mid nineties according to the batch number. It has a sharper crisper scent that lasts a considerable amount longer than the first bottle I owned. Lastly, I received a vintage bottle from a fellow Basenoter today(thank you Matt!) and much to my surprise a deep, dark and somewhat fizzy smelling elixir hit my skin and I let out a little giggle. This is a serious concoction of severe depth and beauty. To any Guerlain fans, this is a must have. I am saddened that this perfume is but a shell of it's original formulation. I am glad I have been able to experience this marvelous fragrance as it was meant to be experienced.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Vintage Mitsouko

Aint that the truth = they just don't make them like they used to.

Actually, the vintage Mitsouko EdT I own (mine is from the 1960's) scares me a bit. It's so mossy and harsh. I really need to be in the mood to pull it off. But when I am, it clicks just perfectly.

Agh
    where can I get this stuff -_-
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Agh
    where can I get this stuff -_-
    I got mine off Ebay - at quite a good deal too.

But a small *warning* about vintage Mitzie: You gotta watch out 'cause it aint ageing with same beauty as the ever stable Shalimar or L'Heure Bleue. Mitzi is easy to damage and she likes to be young. An old semi-turned Mitzi can be wonderfully harsh and dark green but the pepper, jasmine and peach might not be what it used to be. I speak of experience, all from otherwise extremely well-preserved bottles: Extrait from late 60s-70s (zig-zag bottle) which smelled harsh and green in opening, then very mellow, too mellow really, with some loss of the magic of pepper and jasmine, EdT from 70s which really was too soft, beautiful moss, but I miss some piquant spice, and other stuff going on, jasmine, rose, peach, something hot. Mitzi is actually very hot if you get a good edition. PdT/EdP late 80s-90s, which was yeah! now we're talking spice, EdT late 80s-90s, we're still talking, extrait 90s which was glowing and warm and round, no harshness at all, actually too round? But wonderful spice. And of course the latest one which is harsh and edged and green, actually satisfying for those days when you don't mind that it's not as refined and detailed and fine, but a hoarser and harsher spicy greener scent.

If I should recommend out of my experience, I'd always suggest 80s or 90s - these have the best balance to my nose. Mitzi's not too happy to be much more than 20 years old...

Basenotes Institution

Mr. G - ain't that the truth ! I discovered this too with vintage Mitsouko. It really doesn't age quite so gracefully as the vintage Shalimar I have.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Have you tried the reformulated extrait vs. the EDT? There is a huge difference there IMO. Vintage Mitz is easy to find, and not too expensive compared to vintage Shalimar IMO.