Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Has a Fragrance Ever Made You Violently Ill?

This evening I took an hour off from work and visited Barney's in NYC. Had a great time sniffing and left wearing about 4 different frags - Rocabar, Chergui, something from Malle and something from Le Labo. Anyway, got to the car and became violently sick ... I had to pull over three times. I'll spare you all the details. Normally, I have a stomach of steel and nothing affects me. What happened? I had no idea I could get this sick from cologne shopping. Could it be an allergic reaction? I've tried to scrub it all off but just the memory of the scent sends waves of nausea. Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 25th February 2010 at 08:01 AM.

Default Re: Has a Fragrance Ever Made You Violently Ill?

Only Angel Man by Mugler has made me sick not violently ill though but it has that potential. I do not think you had a allergic reaction as you would have more symptoms than just been sick. I think maybe something in one of the scents disagreed with you, it can be puzzling trying to figure it out.

Blog Entries

I keep my "walking out of the store smelling like something" to a couple limits. Lighter stuff, I don't mind 2-3. More powerful stuff, just one. Having something as potent as Chergui with other fragrances with almost as much power on any part of your body at the same time is a no no.

No, man, not violently ill, I say.
    One day I was very tired. I had to go to a friend. He said he has alot of fragrances and he wants me to see them. I got to his house and he had only 20 fragrances. Vetiver, Le Male, Opium, Fahrenheit, AdG etc etc. I tried Le Male. After using 3 sprays, I got home, but not before going to Mc Donalds. Being a very strong fragrance, it made me feel dizzy. Also, I had a headache. That's all. I didn't puke or die.

I can't say that a fragrance made me violently ill but PS - Paul Sebastian was as close as I got to being sick. That stuff repulsed me and turned my stomach.

I should also add that years ago there was some type of perfume that filled the entire school bus and it made me a bit nauseous. At first I was intrigued but that didn't last long.
    Last edited by Ronin; 25th February 2010 at 08:23 AM.

Grey Flannel.
    Also, one day, I mixed Lonestar Memories and Reverie au jardin and I got "sick"

Basenotes Institution

Montale's Patchouli Leaves made me dizzy and I retched repeatedly. I never want to go near that stuff ever again.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Only Paul Smith London has ever made me feel nauseous.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Sure, some badly judged spraying has made me queasy or headachy before. Worst so far was TF White Patchouli: rash & nausea, though nothing as extreme as what happened to you. My guess is you already were under the weather and spraying on those powerhouses tipped the balance.

Joop makes me feel nauseous. For some reason a lot of people like to drench themselves in it.

I had some fake Chanel No.5 that seemed ok at first, but when it hit the drydown it made me sick and gave me a terrible headache. The real stuff has a rather different effect on me
    Last edited by sean-dt; 25th February 2010 at 01:30 PM.

Smelling Scultpure again will probably cause me to hurl, as it did in the past; same goes for Complex . Oddly these days, I haven't been able to take in lavender prominent scents such as Kiki , Antiheros and Reverie au Jardin (the drydown however was beautiful).

Sur la Plage

Never sick or a headache.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th February 2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think I was already getting sick at the time (touch of the flu), but I cannot wear or bear the smell of le labo's oud ever again. it does actually make me nauseous now.

No.

I've never been sick, but Reflection for men from Amouage as a few other Basenote members have also found, can give some people a very bad headache.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Montale's Patchouli Leaves made me dizzy and I retched repeatedly. I never want to go near that stuff ever again.
    I have the same disdain for Patchouli Leaves

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Close to sick but not quite - L'Artisan Havanna Vanille and both Nicolai's I've tried, New York and Homme. Not sure why, but there was something in HV that set me off, I think it might have been the narcissis and I think it was the Lavender in the others.

Sad to say, Byredo's Baudelaire gave me a headache. One spray. It did not suit me at all. (BTW, this was the same reaction as Asha when she met with StylinLA for a Meetup earlier.)

I was made violently ill when a young relative doused herself with Britney Spears Fantasy. It was gag-inducing, like a toxic cupcake. The whole house was filled with this noxious sillage and we had to open windows...
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Sometimes, I'll sneeze a bit if a fragrance has pepper in the top notes... That's about it though...

Note to self - they don't taste the way they smell...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Sometimes, I'll sneeze a bit if a fragrance has pepper in the top notes... That's about it though...
    +1, Gucci PH makes my nose twitch
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

No..

Not violently ill, but wearing Halston Z-14 puts a sour look on my face that stays until I wash the stuff off. Same with Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    This evening I took an hour off from work and visited Barney's in NYC. Had a great time sniffing and left wearing about 4 different frags - Rocabar, Chergui, something from Malle and something from Le Labo. Anyway, got to the car and became violently sick ... I had to pull over three times. I'll spare you all the details. Normally, I have a stomach of steel and nothing affects me. What happened? I had no idea I could get this sick from cologne shopping. Could it be an allergic reaction? I've tried to scrub it all off but just the memory of the scent sends waves of nausea. Thanks for any insight.
    You know you are not supposed to drink the stuff In all seriousness, your being ill may have nothing to do with the fragrances that you wore.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I'll keep with my crusade against Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds - every time I smell it, I get a headache. Every time.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 26th February 2010 at 02:52 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Ambre Sultan... the first time I tried it I vomited.
    Last edited by Furriner; 26th February 2010 at 02:59 AM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

The Dreamer by Versace and Diesel Fuel for Life LITERALLY made me dry-heave... I had to scrub it off immediately. Disgusting.

The first bad experience was Angel Man, which made me gag until I scrubbed it off. It was aweful to the SA's face after he sprayed it on my wrist like he had committed a criminal act or like I was playing a joke on it. No joke, I nearly vomited.

Also, Bond No. 9 Wall Street - all those strange unique and compelling notes and it still smells like screeching bleach - gave me a blinding headache until I scrubbed. Even then, I had to put on some Rochas Femme to cover it up.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

The first one was Sung Homme. After half an hour or so I tried to wash it off, but it just kept getting to me. I think it gave me a bout of "chemical sensitivity" and since then I've had problems with strong lavender, though I don't remember if SH over-sensitized me, and then the lavender in another frag "finished me off," or if it was mostly the SH.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th February 2010 at 08:27 PM.

All the ones on my wish list which I can't afford.

Also Mare, Poseidon alone knows why, as the in group will tell you it's the bee's knee of aquatics.

I think Amouage Gold made my then GF sick. Not a frag for dinner. In fact not a frag for, well to each his own.

Pax,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.