Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Has a Fragrance Ever Made You Violently Ill?

This evening I took an hour off from work and visited Barney's in NYC. Had a great time sniffing and left wearing about 4 different frags - Rocabar, Chergui, something from Malle and something from Le Labo. Anyway, got to the car and became violently sick ... I had to pull over three times. I'll spare you all the details. Normally, I have a stomach of steel and nothing affects me. What happened? I had no idea I could get this sick from cologne shopping. Could it be an allergic reaction? I've tried to scrub it all off but just the memory of the scent sends waves of nausea. Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by MikeNY; 25th February 2010 at 08:01 AM.

Default Re: Has a Fragrance Ever Made You Violently Ill?

Only Angel Man by Mugler has made me sick not violently ill though but it has that potential. I do not think you had a allergic reaction as you would have more symptoms than just been sick. I think maybe something in one of the scents disagreed with you, it can be puzzling trying to figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I keep my "walking out of the store smelling like something" to a couple limits. Lighter stuff, I don't mind 2-3. More powerful stuff, just one. Having something as potent as Chergui with other fragrances with almost as much power on any part of your body at the same time is a no no.

Post Thanks / Like

No, man, not violently ill, I say.
    One day I was very tired. I had to go to a friend. He said he has alot of fragrances and he wants me to see them. I got to his house and he had only 20 fragrances. Vetiver, Le Male, Opium, Fahrenheit, AdG etc etc. I tried Le Male. After using 3 sprays, I got home, but not before going to Mc Donalds. Being a very strong fragrance, it made me feel dizzy. Also, I had a headache. That's all. I didn't puke or die.

I can't say that a fragrance made me violently ill but PS - Paul Sebastian was as close as I got to being sick. That stuff repulsed me and turned my stomach.

I should also add that years ago there was some type of perfume that filled the entire school bus and it made me a bit nauseous. At first I was intrigued but that didn't last long.
    Last edited by Ronin; 25th February 2010 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Grey Flannel.
    Also, one day, I mixed Lonestar Memories and Reverie au jardin and I got "sick"

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Montale's Patchouli Leaves made me dizzy and I retched repeatedly. I never want to go near that stuff ever again.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Only Paul Smith London has ever made me feel nauseous.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Sure, some badly judged spraying has made me queasy or headachy before. Worst so far was TF White Patchouli: rash & nausea, though nothing as extreme as what happened to you. My guess is you already were under the weather and spraying on those powerhouses tipped the balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Joop makes me feel nauseous. For some reason a lot of people like to drench themselves in it.

I had some fake Chanel No.5 that seemed ok at first, but when it hit the drydown it made me sick and gave me a terrible headache. The real stuff has a rather different effect on me
    Last edited by sean-dt; 25th February 2010 at 01:30 PM.

Smelling Scultpure again will probably cause me to hurl, as it did in the past; same goes for Complex . Oddly these days, I haven't been able to take in lavender prominent scents such as Kiki , Antiheros and Reverie au Jardin (the drydown however was beautiful).

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Never sick or a headache.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th February 2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I think I was already getting sick at the time (touch of the flu), but I cannot wear or bear the smell of le labo's oud ever again. it does actually make me nauseous now.

No.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been sick, but Reflection for men from Amouage as a few other Basenote members have also found, can give some people a very bad headache.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Montale's Patchouli Leaves made me dizzy and I retched repeatedly. I never want to go near that stuff ever again.
    I have the same disdain for Patchouli Leaves

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Close to sick but not quite - L'Artisan Havanna Vanille and both Nicolai's I've tried, New York and Homme. Not sure why, but there was something in HV that set me off, I think it might have been the narcissis and I think it was the Lavender in the others.

Sad to say, Byredo's Baudelaire gave me a headache. One spray. It did not suit me at all. (BTW, this was the same reaction as Asha when she met with StylinLA for a Meetup earlier.)

I was made violently ill when a young relative doused herself with Britney Spears Fantasy. It was gag-inducing, like a toxic cupcake. The whole house was filled with this noxious sillage and we had to open windows...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, I'll sneeze a bit if a fragrance has pepper in the top notes... That's about it though...

Post Thanks / Like

Note to self - they don't taste the way they smell...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Sometimes, I'll sneeze a bit if a fragrance has pepper in the top notes... That's about it though...
    +1, Gucci PH makes my nose twitch
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

No..

Not violently ill, but wearing Halston Z-14 puts a sour look on my face that stays until I wash the stuff off. Same with Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    This evening I took an hour off from work and visited Barney's in NYC. Had a great time sniffing and left wearing about 4 different frags - Rocabar, Chergui, something from Malle and something from Le Labo. Anyway, got to the car and became violently sick ... I had to pull over three times. I'll spare you all the details. Normally, I have a stomach of steel and nothing affects me. What happened? I had no idea I could get this sick from cologne shopping. Could it be an allergic reaction? I've tried to scrub it all off but just the memory of the scent sends waves of nausea. Thanks for any insight.
    You know you are not supposed to drink the stuff In all seriousness, your being ill may have nothing to do with the fragrances that you wore.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

I did get nauseous from more than one female fragrance, and one male fragrance that I can't recall
    usually, I am VERY tolerant of smells though
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

I'll keep with my crusade against Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds - every time I smell it, I get a headache. Every time.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 26th February 2010 at 02:52 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Ambre Sultan... the first time I tried it I vomited.
    Last edited by Furriner; 26th February 2010 at 02:59 AM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

The Dreamer by Versace and Diesel Fuel for Life LITERALLY made me dry-heave... I had to scrub it off immediately. Disgusting.

The first bad experience was Angel Man, which made me gag until I scrubbed it off. It was aweful to the SA's face after he sprayed it on my wrist like he had committed a criminal act or like I was playing a joke on it. No joke, I nearly vomited.

Also, Bond No. 9 Wall Street - all those strange unique and compelling notes and it still smells like screeching bleach - gave me a blinding headache until I scrubbed. Even then, I had to put on some Rochas Femme to cover it up.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

The first one was Sung Homme. After half an hour or so I tried to wash it off, but it just kept getting to me. I think it gave me a bout of "chemical sensitivity" and since then I've had problems with strong lavender, though I don't remember if SH over-sensitized me, and then the lavender in another frag "finished me off," or if it was mostly the SH.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th February 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All the ones on my wish list which I can't afford.

Also Mare, Poseidon alone knows why, as the in group will tell you it's the bee's knee of aquatics.

I think Amouage Gold made my then GF sick. Not a frag for dinner. In fact not a frag for, well to each his own.

Pax,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I was at a Chris Rock show, and the woman next to me had the worse smelling perfume on...it made me so sick that I had to get up and walk around outside until the show was over...

Post Thanks / Like

My used socks'fragrance makes me feel nauseous sometimes, not violently ill though.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I have never been made violently ill from a fragrance, but Perfumerie Generale's Cuir Venenum certainly makes me queasy.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly, I'm pretty sure it was my fault though rather than the fragrances. I was sampling at a department store, and I think I wound up accidentally layering Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas and Gucci Envy on my upper arm.

NOT a good idea.
    I refuse to sink.

I almost puked at the train home, after i tested gucci ph1 on one wrist, and burberry touch on the other :S..
    My worst fragrance day ever

Yes, several have made me ill
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Never sick or a headache.
    Same here. Never either never once.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Since my trip to Barney's I scrubbed everything off but I'm still getting whiffs of the deadly combination I put together. Some imaginary, I'm sure. Shame I ruined some fragrances which, individually, could be very nice. I even put on the jacket I wore that night and some of the scent came back, immediately making me gag. Thanks all for your input, glad I'm not an anomaly. I've been a cop for 12 years and nothing I've seen has made me gag or throw up. Leave it to a trip to Barney's...

Post Thanks / Like

Serge Noire made me nauseous and have to wash my hand immediately, I thought that was something wrong with the sample, I have to throw it away, it was awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Angel (men's and women's) and Opium Pour Homme both make me sick to my stomach. I've retched but not actually vomited.

PawelL

I'm not sure if that qualifies as 'violently ill' but I almost left a concert hall once, because of a 'lady' who'd bathed in her Gaultier.
    Gag-inducingly horrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Over-application of Dolce Gabbana PH made me almost puke.

L'Eau de Issey Pour Homme gives me a splitting headache.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most strong fragrances will give me a headache at first, but I've mostly expanded my smelling capacity to handle those (see my wardrobe).

Some fragrances still kick my ass though, usually a Mugler or anything with patchouli. My body has to get used to it over a period of time.

Most cheap synthetics will give me a headache and make me dizzy

A*Men made me nauseous when I first tried it.

Every now and then a certain fragrance will turn on me and I can't stand it. A day or two later I'll love it. I think it all depends on how I'm already feeling. Since I own mostly sweet fragrances, a day where my stomach isn't doing to good can really suck when I've got A*Men on.
    Thank god i've got Mugler Cologne for my off days

Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit. Didn't actually make me puke, but it was close. When I came home I tried to wash it off - I couldn't, then I took Rakia (strong alcohol drink typical for Balcan area) and I rubbed it on the spot - barely made it, but still felt whiffs of that evil potion.

The fragrance of the person I was sat next to, that smelt of rotten oranges to me, made me want to be sick. Fortunately he got off the bus pretty quickly, or there may have been a rather unpleasant sight.
    Call me George, my Mum does!
    Looking for bottles/large decants: A&F Fierce, Hollister Jake, Platinum Egoiste, L'instant de Guerlain. PM me

Stetson
    Brut
    Jovan Musk
    etc

Basically any of those old man scents

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    The fragrance of the person I was sat next to, that smelt of rotten oranges to me, made me want to be sick. Fortunately he got off the bus pretty quickly, or there may have been a rather unpleasant sight.
    Terre de Hermes?

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Terre de Hermes?
    I've tried it before, will seemingly no ill effects. It smelled pretty cheap as well.
    Call me George, my Mum does!
    Looking for bottles/large decants: A&F Fierce, Hollister Jake, Platinum Egoiste, L'instant de Guerlain. PM me

Paul Sebastian Design. I felt like I had a flu coming on after wearing it for a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Not ill, but I've had to scrub off:
    GIT
    CW
    AdP Colonia Intensa
    Guerlain Heritage
    Penhaligon's LP No. 9

Post Thanks / Like

Pussie$

can't see how a frag alone could make you ill unless you picked up some coliforms by touching handles at the stores

Post Thanks / Like

however, Tom Ford extreme makes me nauseated without fail

Two fragrances have not so much made me violently ill, that would be an exaggeration, but two have made me nauseous.

One was A Men

The other was Tobacco Vanille, which just made me feel very sick to the point I had to wash it off.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

Angel Men, Women & Child have all made me ill. I don't know what it is. It reminds me of sitting in a 10x10 Turkish prison cell, with rubber walls, naked and eating cabbage and noodles with 5 people....not that I've ever done that before.

Clive Christian's X gives me a slight touch of nausea. I still wear it occasionally but I keep my distance. I used to disregard this phenomena when reported by others, but now I think it's real. Wish I knew what makes us do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I had sprayed Nasomatto's Black Afghano on my hand and somehow got it into my mouth and it made me sick. Some advice - DO NOT EAT THE FRAGRANCE! After that experience I could never wear Black Afghano again and I can still recall the poisonous taste of the stuff. Yuch.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten migraines from Chanel Egoiste Platinum and Guerlain Heritage. I think they both smell pretty good, there's just something in them that doesn't agree with me.

There are 2 fragrances that turned my stomach when I smelled them (but not to the point of vomiting), one being Jicky and the other Montale Oud Pur Oriental.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Post Thanks / Like

Muscs Koublai Kahn came close. That stuff is horrid. I keep a small vial of it with me at all times in case I see someone I really hate and then I dump it all over them muhahahaah.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the obvious - Secretions Magnifiques. As someone who likes dark, evil and intense frags - I thought I would order a sample decant of this and give it a shot after how many times it has been mentioned on here. I sprayed my wrist to test and at first it was weird but not bad. I let it settle and about 10 minutes later - wow - it was really bad. My eyes started tearing (and remember I'm the one who does 3-4 sprays of Black Afgano for a big night). After 15 minutes - I decided to wash it off. Even with my menthe bodywash - I couldnt totally get it off.

Just so I wasn't crazy, the next day - I decided to just smell the sprayer on the vial - it makes me gag.

I like fsface's idea and will keep the vial at the house just to show people how disgusting a frag can be.