Code of Conduct

Thread: old fragrance??

Default old fragrance??

How can i spot an old fragrance? Can you guys give me some tips on what to look out for?

Default Re: old fragrance??

xxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks.How do i know if my bottle is fresh or stale?

xxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 06:57 AM.

Funny this should come up today. I have been wearing my Creeds all week. Today I chose BdP and I believe this baby is dead.

One hour in, little or no scent left at all. This same time yesterday and Tuesday, the Vintage Tabarome and REL were blasting.

I have had the bottle several years. Guess it's R.I.P. for my BdP. I can't believe that BdP is this subtle or doesn't work to that degree on my skin. I beleive it is heavy on the lavender too.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 25th February 2010 at 06:23 PM.

I would say that Mrclmind and StylinLA hit it on the head. Either a short lived off scent in the top notes or the overall scent is very very weak. I've had one or two bottles go completely out - totally non wearable - you'll know when this happens.Also the colour of the juice will also change - either darker or lighter.

To answer the OP, it's a tough one. When he says "spot an old fragrance," I think he's looking to find out before he buys it.

I know Creeds have some sort of dating codes on them that can be interpreted to figure out when they were bottled. (There are threads in here that break down the "code.") But I don't know how many other frags do that. And there isn't anything obvious about looking at most of them unless indeed it is seriously lighter than you know it should be. Looking at my BdP bottle this morning, I note it to be seriously lighter than my REL and VT.

Honestly too, a recent bottle date isn't necessarily indicative that the bottle will be okay. Heat and light can play a part in crushing the life out of any frag. Overall, it's been my experience that frags are pretty resilient. But there are no guarantees unless you buy from a reptuable dealer. I have returned a bottle of GIT once to Nieman convinced something was bad with the bottle they sold me. They stood behind it and let me exchange it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th February 2010 at 01:27 AM.

Wow, can't imagine BdP going stale, since my fairly new bottle has such a vibrant smell. My advice: re-purchase and enjoy. It's great stuff - rich, complex, sillage, longevity. All very good. I put some on at 8 this morning. Still going strong at 8 this evening.

Creed Vetyver, on the other hand: my bottle smelled kind of old from the day I bought it, but I kept it anyway. My wife recently bought a new one for me - didn't know I already had it. Big, big difference. Tossing out the old one now. It's worthless by comparison.

And no, I'm too nice to sell the stale bottle on ebay. . .

I don't really know if heat is an issue.When you get your fragrances delivered to your house, its been in a hot truck all day.

I may just rebuy a bottle. I've had this BdP at least 6 or 7 years...maybe more. It's 3/4 gone.
    I sometimes wonder if it was a little played out when I bought it. Most people rave about its legs, and I've always found it kind of light and fleeting.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th February 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I may just rebuy a bottle. I've had this BdP at least 6 or 7 years...maybe more. It's 3/4 gone.
    I sometimes wonder if it was a little played out when I bought it. Most people rave about it's legs, and I've always found it kind of light and fleeting.
    Sounds like you got ripped off. Give it another try. I'm really crazy about BdP. Bet you'll love it if/when you get a good bottle. Might try the new creedboutique.com site.

I've found similar situations with a couple of other Creeds, too. For example, it took three tries before I got a good bottle of Neroli Sauvage. Fresh -- it's superb. Old -- horrible.

Three tries...you're tenacious.

Problem was I tried it first in a good department store and was immediately knocked out by its rich, tasty top notes. I was haunted by that first experience. So then I tried to buy it online, at a significant discount, and ended up with a couple of terrible rip-offs before I learned an important lesson about Creeds: whenever possible, sniff the actual bottle you're shopping before you lay down the cash. I had to go back to the full-price department store to get a good one. Even at that, with Neroli Sauvage, I found noticeable differences between testers and unopened bottles. Seems that the citrus top notes deteriorate quickly. A classic example of "try before you buy."
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 26th February 2010 at 03:46 AM.

Aren't testers supposed to be somewhat more strong than the real thing? (which logically makes NO sense except as a devious marketing ploy)... as with my Prada Infusion d'Iris I thought I was buying one thing and the real scent turned out to be completely different. YMMV and caveat emptor are the messages here.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Aren't testers supposed to be somewhat more strong than the real thing? (which logically makes NO sense except as a devious marketing ploy)... as with my Prada Infusion d'Iris I thought I was buying one thing and the real scent turned out to be completely different. YMMV and caveat emptor are the messages here.
    I've always harbored those thoughts myself....aided by the fact that some testers literally have a factory label on the back that says "tester."