Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your impression of Ralph Lauren Safari for Men

What do you think about it ?
    Do you think this fragrance is suitable for spring/summer?

I do not need objective answers like "You can wear it any time, you like, it's your choice", I prefer seeing your opinion.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Default Re: Your impression of Ralph Lauren Safari for Men

I know Safari for Men has many followers here, but the only time I sniffed it at a perfume store last september, the first thing that came to my mind was: old man's cologne...and I'm 48 myself...Somehow I think it's era has far gone by, IMHO.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Yes. I haven't owned it in a long time, but I like it a lot.
    Last edited by Niles; 25th February 2010 at 07:04 PM.

It is very good with a very poor atomizer, at least with the bottle I have. The atomizer makes such a fine mist that it is very difficult to get the fragrance on your skin.

To me, Jazz is actually similar, and a superior replacement for Safari.

P.S. Safari is great for year-round use.
    Last edited by vonMises; 25th February 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: P.S.

I remember it as Montana Parfum d'Homme ("red box") with powdery and ambery notes added. So, it's got spices, geranium, and lavender that are strong. I don't know if there was a strong "green" note, but I would guess not. These days, I prefer frags that are more "focused." For example, Adidas Sport Field is green, with lavender, geranium, and spice (ginger is listed), but without any powdery or sweet aspect (though it's not dry either). KL Homme by Lagerfeld is the closest frag to Safari that I can think of, but I think KL is a bit more focused. It's really a matter of preference, but I certainly can understand it being called "dated."

I suppose there is a similarity to Jazz, as vonMises says. Safari for Men is a bit dated in a preppy kind of way, but it was my signature scent for a little while. I can see Safari for Men as a more mature replacement for Platinum Egoiste. I always thought the bottle was very classy for this one also. For some reason, Safari for Men seems to be forgotten about.

A very classy Fragrance that I Love.....Gary

It's good quality and better than Polo. I think it's way too strong though.

I remember wearing this at one time, good enough Frag

Safari for Men is a very nice scent, suitable for year round use. My personal preference is to use it more frequently in warm weather. It's dry and crisp, like biting into a quince. It has light to moderate sillage, and women at work frequently compliment me on the scent when I wear it to work.

Since I've only been using it for less than a year, I don't associate Safari for Men with any other era other than this one or any other social class other than my own. I just enjoy it.

I don't see it as the "Burt Reynolds on the bear skin rug" fragrance that Luca Turin described.

PS: Safari for WOMEN (sadly, discontinued) is one of my favorite scents for women. I recently scored a bottle at TJ Maxx and gave it to my girlfriend (her first experience with the fragrance.) It makes her more mesmerizing than she is already.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 26th February 2010 at 04:01 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    I don't see it as the "Burt Reynolds on the bear skin rug" fragrance that Luca Turin described.
    Yes, I was surprised that this was Turin's impression of Safari because I'm a fan.

One way to think of Safari is that it has a "80s power frag" approach (all those notes, including the usual ones - lavender, geranium, some florals, etc.) but tries to be "soft" and "rounded." So I can understand the Reynolds/rug imagery, a tough but attractive guy (not from a Patrician family) trying to show his "softer," "sensual" side.

Thank you for your answers and opinions. Appreciate it.

Safari is totally the wrong name for the fragrance.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Blog Entries

One of my long time favorites
    Currently wearing: Santal Blush by Tom Ford

It was my signature about 10 yrs ago. I got it as a Christmas gift and used up the whole bottle. I thinks it's better for fall and winter. I see it as Aramis-for-those-who-hate-Aramis. It has solidly masculine character as Aramis, but different; more updated and gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    What do you think about it ?
    It smells cheap, and something
    a grandpa would like to wear.
    Not for me, not at all..!

Not my favorite, either. Made me sneeze, too.

I like it. It was my fathers signature scent for years. Sometimes I steal a spray or two when I visit. But I don't think i'd ever buy it for myself.

This one works good on me (I'm lucky in the respect that I can get away with wearing just about anything) and I love the smell. I ran into a bottle at TJ Maxx the other day and bought it because it had been so long since I wore it. Anyone know if they did any reformulation to it since the mid 1990s? It seemed a lot more citrusy up front at least when I first put it on. Otherwise thereafter it smelled the same as I remember, was only the first few sprays out of the bottle it seemed. I have a small tester bottle from about 10 years ago I'll eventually compare it to.

Safari is a strange name for this one. I own a 75 ml bottle which I picked up new on close-out at Wal-Mart for only $11.00 (I just couldn't pass it up). I had tried Safari for Men a couple of times in duty free shops prior to making this purchase, and I was not very impressed. It definitely seemed like a Spring/Summer fragrance to me, so that's when I wore it. I forgot I had it until it was recently mentioned in another thread, so I 'rediscovered' it. My wife sure does like it (she thinks it's classy!), and I've changed my mind on this one as well. I initially thought that it was a bit of an 'old man's type fragrance' (and I'm in my 50s!), but the more I wear it, the more I consider it to be a classic gentlemen's style fragrance. While it could easily be worn all year around, I believe that Safari is more suited to the Spring and Summer because it has a fairly green smell to it (in my opinion). It took a while, but Safari has really grown on me. It is a pleasant, dignified wear.

I remember my older sister really liking it in HS, she bought a mini bottle not to wear it, but just to smell it, much like it is mentioned here that many older women used to buy Guerlain vetiver, not to wear, but to remind them of their GI boyfriends returning from france with the Guerlain Vetiver way back in the mid-20th century.

So, of course, i snuck some from my sister's mini, and remember not liking it, washing it off, thinking it smelled like old man jovan musk type. Perhaps I would have a different opinion now, not sure.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 1st March 2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Sur la Plage

I used to own it a while ago. It is a pretty good fragrance IMO - but not anywhere in the league of Polo (original) or Crest. However, it is much better than most of the designer pablum lining the shelves these days.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It is my favorite by RL that I have tried so far. Definitely more mature, but I don't find it too out of place on me at 25. My GF likes it too.

I own it for 2 months now, and it grew on me a lot. I can feel that this is old-school, but in a good way, it has character, it has a luxurious feel and it's perfect for very hot weather.

I recently acquired a bottle in a swap, and I'm glad it's not like Montana "red box." The eucalyptus is clear but not too strong, and the base has a nice sweet leather, with the supporting notes popping in and out. The top notes are nothing special, but I try to avoid them anyway. Long lasting and with just the right sillage too.

I'm glad I didn't purchase this again. About a week ago I was going through some old saved bottles and came across Safari with a little juice left in it. I sprayed it on my wrist and dear god. EUCALYPTUS BOMB, smells like wet paper. Personally I pretty much hate eucalyptus in any fragrance. however eucalyptus oil is somewhat soothing and medicinal. But, in fragrances.. I'll have to pass.. they come out too synthetic smelling, strong and with this wet paper and chemical smell to post of them. I wish I could revise my Safari review -- I submitted a completely different one and hopefully it will work out. I'll give it a B for uniqueness, a B for sillage and projection, an A for longevity, but a D for overall smell; at least to my nose.. most of this fragrance is unappealing to me.

If eucalyptus bothers you, but you want that kind of pleasant leather base, I suggest trying Devin by Aramis.