Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default What scent category are you ?

I unconsciously gravitate towards chypre scents and then orientals . Of course I do love to try everything and I have brief affairs with all kinds of scents ( except for Patchouli Leaves by Montale - we had a bust up on our first date ) but my enduring loves are of the chypre and oriental categories.
    Have you noticed that you tend to love a certain category more than others ? So what are you ?

I am a chypre-oriental and vintage gal I realise. Sometimes my nose just chooses for me and then I realise ,yet again, it's a chypre ...I wonder what this says about me .....if anything at all .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 26th February 2010 at 07:20 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: What scent category are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Have you noticed that you tend to love a certain category more than others ? So what are you ?
    Yes! Gourmand/edible!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 26th February 2010 at 07:46 AM.

I have been trying to answer this question, and every time I type something I have to start again. I was ready to say I'm a chypre lover, but I think my favourite perfumes come from all categories, but they tend to have an oriental inflection -as opposed to the out-and-out orientals (with a couple of exceptions).

Another part of me is drawn to the almost stoic quality of conservative masculine scents, but I don't know if I can choose between fougeres and chypres.

I still have to find an aquatic or gourmand that I really like.

I'd say myself mostly a floral, occasionally a chypre gal

I used to be an oriental lover almost exclusively,but I find myself getting into the chypre and fougere territory more and more.Like Mysticknot I'm also into the classics.

I'm so new to all this and just learning about fragrances...not able to figure out what I am. Here are the scents I absolutely love and wear:

Chanel 28 La Pausa
    Chanel Beige
    Prada Infusion d'Iris
    Tauer Un Rose Chypre
    L'Artisan Perfumeur Iris Pallida
    Guerlain Mitsouko

Lavender -- just a simple lavender since I like to wear in the heat of the summer. I really love the scent of lavender in soap, showering gels, hand lotion etc.

Love, love, love the following but only wear them at home because they are too personal to wear out...

Must de Cartier
    Chanel #22

Love this one because it was what my grandmother always wore but I only have a sample (not sure if I would wear this because it does smell "old lady" to me -- even though I am 70, I don't feel "old lady"):

Coty Chypre de Coty (vintage)

Really like and wear the following:

Tauer Incense Rose
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Chanel 31 rue Cambon
    Chanel #5
    Lolita Lempicka
    L'Occitane Rose Nuit de Mai

Thanks for bearing with me...

I really like all...

as they say... can't choose between heaven and hell, as I have friends in both...

I "have freinds" in... airy aquatics,loud florals,heavy "difficult" aldehydes and chypres, thick orientals, childish gourmands, "unisex" leathers and woodies and harsh aromatics...

can't choose.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

I like them all...florals, gourmands leather/tobacco, chypres...

This is like saying what food do you like above all others. Some can easily pick, but I like many cuisines...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I can't tear myself into many pieces sorry

ok .. maybe oriental with gourmand notes.
    Visit my blog at http://thescenter.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cavaliercanary View Post
    I'm so new to all this and just learning about fragrances...not able to figure out what I am. Here are the scents I absolutely love and wear:

Chanel 28 La Pausa
    Chanel Beige
    Prada Infusion d'Iris
    Tauer Un Rose Chypre
    L'Artisan Perfumeur Iris Pallida
    Guerlain Mitsouko

Lavender -- just a simple lavender since I like to wear in the heat of the summer. I really love the scent of lavender in soap, showering gels, hand lotion etc.

Love, love, love the following but only wear them at home because they are too personal to wear out...

Must de Cartier
    Chanel #22

Love this one because it was what my grandmother always wore but I only have a sample (not sure if I would wear this because it does smell "old lady" to me -- even though I am 70, I don't feel "old lady"):

Coty Chypre de Coty (vintage)

Really like and wear the following:

Tauer Incense Rose
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Chanel 31 rue Cambon
    Chanel #5
    Lolita Lempicka
    L'Occitane Rose Nuit de Mai

Thanks for bearing with me...
    I think your classification is "lady with impeccable taste"....

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Oh, floral-- especially soliflore fragrances.

As far as fragrance category, I have many of all except floral. My three mainstays are citrus/cologne, chypre and oriental. My tendency is toward classic, well composed scents, typically new releases of older fragrances.

I was a chypre lover before I even knew the word.

So chypres, orientals, florals and vintage.

Hate fruity and aquatic
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    ....I "have friends" in... airy aquatics,loud florals,heavy "difficult" aldehydes and chypres, thick orientals, childish gourmands, "unisex" leathers and woodies and harsh aromatics...
    Yeah. Rully. (My excuse is that I'm Gemini/Snake).
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My category would be "classics," both masculine & feminine, especially (leathery) chypres and (floral) orientals and I love gourmand notes, but not gourmand perfumes if that makes sense. I think the unifying theme is woods (but that seems so broad and diverse as to be almost meaningless). But somehow Antaeus, Egoiste, Gucci PH, Givenchy Gentleman, M7, Habit Rouge edp, Heritage edp, Encre Noire, Third Man, and Yatagan fit together with Arpege, Opium, Baghari, No. 19, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Cabochard, Diva, and Sublime in my conception of most pleasurable scents.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I have favorites in many different categories, but woods would have to be my single favorite category.

Has to be Citrus for me, as all my scents have strong citrus top notes.
    I do occasionally go for something citrus/spicy with a bit more bite to it for the colder months.

My favorite categories:
    Green florals
    Aquatic florals
    Green chypres
    Floral orientals

My least favorite categories:
    Knock-you-over-the-head orientals
    Highly aldehydic florals
    Super-foody gourmands
    Tutti-fruttis
    Last edited by Haunani; 26th February 2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I wish Eclectic was a category. About the only frags I cannot wear with passion are the very highly florals
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I tend to like the classic chypres and aldehydic florals, though, as w3pearl said above so well, I have friends in various categories. But over all, I gravitate towards the classics in general, and the chypres and glamour-hydes in particular. Great question!

I have fragrances in pretty much every category, but I have to say the spicy orientals with gourmands notes are my favorite, such as: Theorema, Parfum Sacre, Organza Indecence, Sensuous.

Can't but agree with w3pearl; I'm quite schizo when it comes to scents.

If I have to pick a category where most of my loves belong it has to be orientals - spicy orientals, florientals, all orientals. I also tend to have a soft spot for florals, preferably not too pretty ones.

I don't care whatsoever about airy and aquatic scents, and citrus isn't my fave either, then again I love my Colonia by Aqua di Parma.

Banned

Wood..

Florals, in particular, rich and heady interpretations. It seems to me, something having an interesting or well-done floral note greatly influences how much I'll like it. I'd say, in fact, that upwards of 80% of what I wear has some prominent floral note, even though I appreciate fragrances from most genres.

I generally need my florals counterbalanced with some "other", however. To list some of my favorites, Oud Cuir D'Aabie ( rose with leather and oud ), L'Arte di Gucci ( rose with animalic chypre ), Gucci No. 3 ( rose with aldehydic chypre ), Carnal Flower ( tuberose and greenery ), Tubereuse Criminelle ( tuberose and wintergreen ), Poison ( mixed florals in a musky oriental ), Tubereuse Couture ( tuberose and sugar-cane ), Midnight Violet ( violet and animalic woods ), Gandhara ( jasmine with castoreum ).

On the "not" side, citruses and aquatics just can't hold my attention. Even if they're interesting and well-made, I simply don't reach for them.

I very consciously gravitate toward classic mossy green and floral chypres (predominantly from the 70s and 80s) but it makes me sort of anxious to categorize myself, as if I'll need to make all sorts of disclaimers. I can honestly find something to love in every category there is. My turn-offs would be more about individual notes (and even then only in specific fragrances - cedar and cumin can be problematic, but not always) rather than whole categories.

But Diva, Aromatics Elixir, Galanos, K de Krizia, Azuree, Jean-Louis Scherrer, Cabochard, the original Calvin Klein, Gucci No1, Gucci No3, Halston, Knowing, Givenchy III, etc, etc....these are the fragrances that shaped my personal ideas of what beautiful perfume should be - how it should smell, of course, and how it should make me feel.

Oriental dominates my drobe, followed by skank and gourmand, with a few random florals and one particularly lovely aldehydic floral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    My tendency is toward classic, well composed scents, typically new releases of older fragrances.
    This describes a lot of my drobe, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Highly aldehydic florals
    Super-foody gourmands
    We are polar opposites, H!

I think it's the magic touch of the perfumer that really makes the difference. If Jacques Guerlain made a fruity-aquatic concoction on a base of synthetic woods I think I'd probably love it

What an interesting thread...I've certainly enjoyed it.

And, sean-dt, you have just made my day! I needed that, especially when I came in from a meeting and found one of my dogs had been sick on the floor... So the "lady with impeccable taste" was on her hands and knees cleaning up dog mess!!!

A few years ago I might have said 'oriental', but now it's easier for me to say what I DON'T like: very edible gourmands (I tend to like them to smell perfume-y rather than foody) and aquatics.

I would say I'm a 'Woody Oriental'!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    ...We are polar opposites, H!
    I've noticed! Love ya anyway.

I like GB's comment about florals with other things. Maybe we could call them "florals-plus"? So many of my favorite florals include wood, spice, incense, and/or vetiver!

My big love are sweet spicy orientals and I hate citrus.
    But in general I’m up for everything that smells unusual.

An Oriental life for me: animalic, resinous, spicy, woody, vanillic. Now excuse my while I crawl back into my opium bed. Zzzzzz..........
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th February 2010 at 08:22 PM.

hmmm... whatever category my Cocoa Mademoiselle falls.... I'm into it.

I'd say that my favorites are greens and leathers. My least favorites are aquatics and pink-candy-berries. (As opposed to boozy, strong, dark berries, which can occasionally be good.)

Hillaire

I gravitate toward:

Brazen, heady floral chypres
    , e.g.: Diva, Odalisque, PdN's Number One, Jil Sander No. 4, L'Arte di Gucci, Soir de Lune

Green chypres, e.g.: Cristalle, Givenchy III, Silences, E. Coudray Givrine, Niki de Saint Phalle, Amazone

Modern, fresh, unisex peppery chypres: Balmain de Balmain, Jil Sander Scent 79 Women... eagerly awaiting more excitements...

Leather chypres: Gucci 3, Cabochard, Azuree, Jil Sander Woman III, Y (I know most don't put this here; I do.), Miss Dior

The occasional creamy, rose-dominant floral, which is not a soliflore e.g.: Dia, or E. Coudray Jacinthe et Rose

A handful of poetic, timeless, warm-hearted Orientals
    , e.g.: Balenciaga Cristobal, Amoauge Ubar, Boucheron Boucheron, the new Natori, Life Threads Gold, Sacrebleu

I almost always detest:

Tonic, harsh "woodsy" scents: Lalique Perles de Lalique, Amouage Lyric, YSL Elle

Aquatics, altogether.

Boozy, candied Gourmands, e.g.: Frapin 1270

Thin, detergenty, "clean" scents
    : anything from Clean or Gendarme

Noxious, prunol-laden, emetic fougeres
    , e.g.: A-men, or Deseo for men
    Last edited by Hillaire; 26th February 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Cyphres, fougeres, some orientals. I tend to go for the "masculine" scents over the "feminine"
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Maybe we could call them "florals-plus"? So many of my favorite florals include wood, spice, incense, and/or vetiver!
    Agreed, there definitely should be some name for them. All my favorite "soliflores" are far from being solo flowers.

I could have written mysticknot's opening, we have the same tastes.
    I flock to old school floral chypres. Mitsouko (PP and EDP), Or et Noir, En Avion, Ma Griffe
    Also love floral orientals (L'heure Bleue, N'amie que moi, Nahema, Apres L'ondee)

I do hae some recent fragrances, and they tend to be more woody (Bois D'aremenie (incense), Oud Wood (oud, rosewood), Isvaraya (Patchouli))
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

See my screenname.

Am getting into Chypres lately and also some of my faves are in the "soft floral - woody musks" family.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Blog Entries

Smile Re: What scent category are you ?

I am an Oriental and Chypre devotee. Lately I have been attracted to some of the gourmand fragrances like Aomassai, Lolita Lempicka, L by Lolita Lempicka, Ambre Gris and some of the Serge Lutins. My blood type is Mitsouk-O negative (LOL).

My favorite categories:
    Green florals
    Aquatic florals
    Green chypres
    Floral orientals

Highly aldehydic florals
    Super-foody gourmands
    Tutti-fruttis
    Other than Highly aldehydic florals (which I like) and Aquatic florals (which I don't care for) I think Haunani's list sums up my preferences quite nicely. Oh, and I do like plain 'ol, straight-up florals, also.

Orientals and scents with wood and incense notes are most me.

Aquatics and tutti frutti florals make me cringe.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Florals mostly: soft florals, green florals, white florals, floral orientals. Classics and "as in the old days". But I also can appreciate spices and fruit and citrus and dryer fragrances. Vie de Château and Hasu-no-Hana may be a bridge leading to chypres, but I think florals still will be my main preference. Cedar is difficult and also leather. And no water fragrances, proparbly because it's so hard for me to smell them.

I think chypres are the single most interesting category.

My favorites are chypres, citruses, fougeres, dry woods, and woody orientals.

My least favorite categories are gourmands and aquatics, although I do enjoy some of them occasionally.

Categories: Chypre, Oriental, Fougere

Add these notes to above categories:
    Citrus
    Green-Moss
    Roses
    White Flowers
    Spice & Incense
    Herbs
    Woods
    Leather
    Animalic
    Last edited by Splash; 27th February 2010 at 12:48 PM.

I have favorites in every category.....I know this sounds too simple but it's true.....I can find something I Love in every group.
    Gary

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    My blood type is Mitsouk-O negative (LOL).
    LOVE THAT! You must pose a challenge to the blood bank, N_Tesla.

The scents that make me swoon and I can't go without, are usually classified as "floral oriental".

The scents I really like and enjoy wearing: green florals, green chypres, woody, spicy gourmand, complex dark fruity, resinous, boozy top notes, light incense, light leather, indolic florals, a few aquatics (for very hot weather)

Scents I can appreciate but don't want to wear- soliflor, ( i get bored), heavy tobacco, (bad associations), heavy leather scents (too manly on me)

Can't appreciate or wear- borrowing from Leesee, the Knock- you- over- the- head- orientals, Gourmands that smell exactly like food, scents that duplicate being in a church of any denomination, and finally try- as- I- might- I- still- hate- it- Chanel- No 5.

(runs for cover)
    Last edited by knit at nite; 28th February 2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: clean up formatting

Florals, Woods, and anything Fresh green even Citrus EXCEPT the Aquatics, they smell too synthetic to me

I've never tried a gourmand, can you believe it?

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    Can't appreciate or wear- borrowing from Leesee, the Knock- you- over- the- head- orientals, Gourmands that smell exactly like food, scents that duplicate being in a church of any denomination, and finally try- as- I- might- I- still- hate- it- Chanel- No 5.

(runs for cover)
    Just to clarify, I was quoting Haunani when I initially posted my choices. After reading some more posts I have to add leathers and woody scents to my list of likes/loves.
    Last edited by Leesee; 28th February 2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: typos

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Just to clarify, I was quoting Haunani when I initially posted my choices. After reading some more posts I have to add leathers and woody scents to my list of likes/loves.
    Right you are! sorry Haunani.

Florientals and Chypres are my prefered types.
    I also love some gourmands, woods and spices.
    I can't stand most aquatics and fruity florals (except Nirmala)

In a thread I can't put my hand on, I remember analysing the types in my FB collection and I think I was roughly a three way split between florals, floral woody musks and orientals (woody, then floral).

So I guess you could call me a floral and woody kind of gal!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th February 2010 at 11:46 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Big question for my first post! I like many others, take the cafeteria approach to my fragrances - just hold the jello-salads and beachy scents! I love classics, (but not too much the aldehydes, sorry Chanel #5), woods, green galbanum in anything, heavy hitter florals and orientals, chyphres ( Eau de Soir a favorite) and my forced-to-the-wall signatures are Balmain Vent Vert and Estee Lauder Youth Dew -

Reine

Banned

Heavy florals like Bellodgia (carnation!), tuberose scents and some Orientals - Coco, Shalimar.
    Only not aquatics.

I love orientals, woods and gourmands. I also love idolic florals, jasmine, tuberose, narcissus and lily are faves. White florals are great too. I love orange blossom and lilac. I'm not big on aquatics or citrus scents.

Blog Entries

This is a good thread. Some good ideas for stuff I haven't tired. CavalierCanary, & other lavender lovers should try Delrae-Illuminee. It is a light, fizzy lavender with a little lemon that is so lovely. It is one of my favorites. So easy to wear.

My best areas are Chypre, Floral & Oriental with emphasis on Chypre. One only has to look at my wardrobe to see my loyalties. The green monster has me firmly in its grasp.
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st March 2010 at 03:20 PM.

I have love affairs in every category excepting aquatics and too fruity-tooties! Gravitate to sweet florals, chypres and oriental woods most.....Fracas, Eau de Soir, Youth Dew...

Reine

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I wish Eclectic was a category.
    Ditto.

My wardrobe is ALL over the place. What I wear is very dependent on my mood, so...

I do tend to favor Chypres, however. Ever-so-slightly.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~