Code of Conduct

Thread: Nostalgia

Default Nostalgia

I am really intrigued by SMN Nostalgia reviews it seems something that I would really enjoy.
    Is it closer to Knize Ten or it is more towards Bvlgari black? Maybe even similar to Lonestar Memories? Something completely different?
    Gasoline, tar, rubber and leather notes are among my favorites and seems Nostagia fits the bill.
    Any input?

(by the way I dont like Bvlgari black there is something cloying about it that makes me ill, I appreciate the rubber note but the entire composition does not please me)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Nostalgia

Hey Basteri,
    Nostalgia is an interesting one. First off, it's lighter than you might expect. It has none of the heavy floral or leather of K10, and is not as striking as Lonestar Memories.
    The leather note most reminds me of CdG's Skai, if that is any help. Its sort of a lighter, more synthetic leather smell, with a good dose of vanilla in the drydown. There are some topnotes that are similar to Black - Nostalgia has a turpentine, petrol note in the top that is pretty distinctive, but it leaves quickly. The remaining notes focus on that strange, almost watery leather note. The whole thing is an interesting and pretty nice fragrance, but I always wish that it had more presence and better longevity. Given those limitations though, its a fragrance that I like a lot and wear occasionally. Not an everyday fragrance, but one that I always enjoy when I pull it out. I recommend finding a sample.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

It's one of my favorites. I bought it blind and I'm glad I did. Well, at first I thought it was too weird. I would have given up on it, but I gave it another shot. Like Slim says, the strange topnotes (which I like) ease up after a few minutes and the drydown is really good. It smells equally avant garde and luxurious at the same time. It really does smell like an expensive car.

I look at it as a perfect "second date" fragrance (well, I've worn it on first dates and it worked well too). I typically wear something safe like YSL L'Homme or Gucci PH II on a first date. For the second date, I reach for something a bit more sensual and edgy, once I know I won't blow it all by making a choice my date doesn't like. I'll say this, every time I've worn Nostalgia, the girls I've dated went CRAZY for it. You wind up winning because the girl sees you as both rugged and refined.

It does start off very unconventional and seems to hit its sweet spot after about 20 minutes. I can see some similarities superficially to Bulgari Black, but IMO Nostalgia leaves BB in its dust.

To my nose, it smells nothing like K10 or BB, but if forced to choose I'd say Bulgari, as BB is has similarly unnatural top notes. The closest leather I'd relate it to is Oud Cuir D'Arabie, and even that's a stretch.

It's an interesting scent. It's rather petrochemical, in some ways, yet it reminds me most of the smell of a new magazine.

Basteri, you have read the reviews but maube it's hard for you to believe: Nostalgia IS the photorealistic interpretation of the leather interior of a sportscar. It is not the impressionistic version of leather in Knize 10 or any other usually netioned leather scent. Only Cuir Ottoman has an equally realistic leather note, but of a different kind of leather (antique bag) coupled with a good dose of powdery iris, At the same time it doesn't feel synthetic. At least to my nose the drydown is very close to Vetiver Oriental. And yes, it is not strong. You should definitely try that.
    Last edited by cpk; 26th February 2010 at 09:45 PM.

I have and love Nostalgie, Knize Ten and Bulgari Black and don't find them at all similar.

Nostalgie really does smell like a vintage car!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

thank you guys seems this is a winner I will have to get myself a bottle (blind) I am sure I will enjoy it. The bottle itself is tacky and far from what the juice smells like but I can live with that .

Yep, Basteri, that bottle is tacky--no getting around that! But it's a very magnetic, intriguing scent that is well made. You'll love it!

intriguing and different is what I look for plus the gasoline/garage plus I am a sucker for gasoline notes

any recommendation where to order on line? I have not even looked at prices I hope I dont have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

I've only tested Nostalgia once, but what I got from it was an interesting top (gasolin, rubber, etc.) that fizzled out relatively quickly to a discrete pleasant base. I will retest some day, but I don't think it's FBW for me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I've only tested Nostalgia once, but what I got from it was an interesting top (gasolin, rubber, etc.) that fizzled out relatively quickly to a discrete pleasant base. I will retest some day, but I don't think it's FBW for me.
    I totally agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    The bottle itself is tacky and far from what the juice smells like but I can live with that .
    The cap is supposed to represent the shifter knob on a vintage sportscar
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    intriguing and different is what I look for plus the gasoline/garage plus I am a sucker for gasoline notes
    Then you're really gonna enjoy the exhilarating opening. I'm not sure about FBW but with a full bottle, I'd probably spray Nostalgia more often just for the opening thrills...

Iirc Lucky Scent had some in stock.