Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    I've been testing Montale's Amondes Orientales over the last couple of weeks (I'm an almond nut (hah!)) and thought I had it pegged. The midnotes were very floral. Honeysuckle and the vanillic spiciness of oriental lilies. Not what I'd expected from reviews, but very lovely. I even swung by the supermarket to pop my nose in a bunch of their lilies, just to double-check - yup, bingo!

    Today, being a perfect day to smell like a big bunch of lilies, I apply a healthy double dose. And today, it is being the smokey, leathery, vanilla/almond a lot of reviews mentioned. Nothing floral in there at all. Totally different!

    I've done a 180 on my opinion of some scents, but I've never lost an entire midsection before!

    So, what is the culprit for such a large shift in scent/perception?

    - double doseing?
    does applying more or less of a scent allow different notes to come through? Is this the same as scent shifting from splash to spray?

    - skin chemistry?
    if something can smell different on different people, can it smell different on the same person?

    - perception?
    are my sinuses playing up or am I picking out notes I'd previously blanked for some reason?

    I'm leaving out weather/temperature as it has been ceaselessly cold and dull for weeks!

    Does anyone have their own experiences/theories?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    That is very good question. I was thinking about same things last few days because my favourite Aqva changed into something I dont want to wear anymore.

    I think it has something to do with:

    * distance you spray from
    * amount you spray
    * temperature
    * your mood (the way you perceive things)

    Also it can be that every 0,1ml of fragrance is not 100% consistent.

    Just my theories because I dont know *** about that

  3. #3

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    and hormones. Especially in women, your sense of smell and body chemistry changes with your cycle.
    Visit my blog at http://thescenter.blogspot.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    It's almost amazing we find anything we like, for however brief a time

  5. #5

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Well, I've woken up a bit stuffy and sneezy today, so I think the culprit is most likely to be in my nose rather than my head or hormones this time!

    My working theory is that some scent compound/molecule (my science isn't quite up to this!) wasn't getting through my nose, causing the scent to shift. Like taking a note out of a chord. In this case, I think I stopped picking up something bright/green that was causing the composition to smell floral. With that gone, the smokeyness could come through. It probably happens all the time, but was most noticeable with this perfume because:

    - I was actively testing it
    - A small change had a very marked effect

    It certainly makes me wonder how different things smell to a trained nose!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Quote Originally Posted by heparfumerie View Post
    and hormones. Especially in women, your sense of smell and body chemistry changes with your cycle.
    Definitely. Fragrances have a chemical reaction to our bodily odors which is why we sometimes notice that the fragrance of our perfume is a little different.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeGoddess View Post
    Definitely. Fragrances have a chemical reaction to our bodily odors which is why we sometimes notice that the fragrance of our perfume is a little different.
    It's fascinating, isn't it :)

    I wonder if anyone has done any research on this? I know that a woman's ability to smell increases during ovulation, and I've read about the study that shows men subconsiously react to the way a woman smells during ovulation. It's just I'm still a bit sceptical that this could have a detectable effect for most people on the way a fragrance smells on the wrist.

    I'm open-minded though. Any anecdotal evidence? Anyone find that a favourite 'fume goes from Jekyll to Hyde on them once a month?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    I have a question somewhat related to this one -
    Has anyone ever noticed that same scent applied to different parts of the body smell different!? I think my left arm / wrist allows scents to be much fuller, deeper, and longer lasting than my right arm / wrist. They are similar enough to be recognisable as the same scent, but one is a ghost of the other... or am I simply bonkers

  9. #9

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    It's fascinating, isn't it

    I wonder if anyone has done any research on this? I know that a woman's ability to smell increases during ovulation, and I've read about the study that shows men subconsiously react to the way a woman smells during ovulation. It's just I'm still a bit sceptical that this could have a detectable effect for most people on the way a fragrance smells on the wrist.

    I'm open-minded though. Any anecdotal evidence? Anyone find that a favourite 'fume goes from Jekyll to Hyde on them once a month?

    Yes, it's really fascinating and interesting.. the woman's ability to smell during ovulation and how men smells women during ovulation.. that's kind of sensual.. and i think we all designed to be that way because our purpose is to 'go and multiply' right? LOL

    I believe there has been a research about that..

  10. #10

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    I once had a department store SA tell me something about a body change that occurs every couple of years that can change the way fragrances smell on you. Don't know what I think about that, but thought I would add it to the conversation.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pochi View Post
    I have a question somewhat related to this one -
    Has anyone ever noticed that same scent applied to different parts of the body smell different!? I think my left arm / wrist allows scents to be much fuller, deeper, and longer lasting than my right arm / wrist. They are similar enough to be recognisable as the same scent, but one is a ghost of the other... or am I simply bonkers:tongue:
    Whoah, how strange!

    I find perfume in my hair smells a little different to perfume on skin, but that seems logical - it has a much greater surface area to evaporate off.

    How do you apply? A spray on both wrists, or on one and transfer? No watch/jewellery getting in the way? When you sniff, are you hitting the left wrist first? You could probably set up a simple experiment, with a third party, to prove it one way or the other :)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I once had a department store SA tell me something about a body change that occurs every couple of years that can change the way fragrances smell on you. Don't know what I think about that, but thought I would add it to the conversation.
    I know the body is changing all the time, with cells renewing and replacing but I thought it pretty much stayed the same, aside from the big hormonal changes at puberty/menopause or changes during illness/stress. Every couple of years makes it sound like changes are almost tidal! What a scary thought!

    I think I'll take it with a pinch of (sea)salt ;)
    Last edited by Petra Ichor; 1st March 2010 at 12:00 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    I think I'll take it with a pinch of (sea)salt
    That's probably a good idea. I've never heard of or read this kind of theory anywhere else.

  14. #14
    Tarheel Golfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    That is very good question. I was thinking about same things last few days because my favourite Aqva changed into something I dont want to wear anymore.
    dreamer81, I'd recommend taking a break from it, but don't get rid of it. Come back to it after some time away, and I bet you'll appreciate again.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    i don't believe it is possible for you to interpret them.

    a far more likely scenario is diet. diet can massively change the odors your body gives off. for instance, vegetarians comment on non-vegetarians as smelling unpleasant. you can smell it when a person has gone from burning fat to muscle. garlic odors manifest through your pores. there are numerous other examples.
    related to diet is skin oil. skin oil can change with diet, stress, or bathing routines. it could effect evaporation rates.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    I don't always perceive a frag the same way, and I can't say I know for sure what causes the differences. One thing that I think is relevant are the frags you wear before it. So, let's say you wear a frag the day after you wear a weak, generic one, and it smells great. But then two weeks later, when you wear it again, you wear a really strong frag with a lot of notes the day before. Now you find that it smells a bit weak and uninteresting. Is that any surprise?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Scent Shifter - what causes scent to smell 'different'?

    I have found that the situation or setting I am in can profoundly effect how I percieve a scent much as it does a cocktail or a cigar. The temperature/humidity is also a major factor.
    Last edited by Partagas; 4th March 2010 at 04:45 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Anything smell like Old Spice Swagger Bodywash Scent
    By tbp82 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th August 2012, 03:29 PM
  2. The Street: Which scent do you smell the most?
    By Kevin Guyer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 24th August 2008, 09:25 PM
  3. What scent do you smell on just about everyone & which one almost never?
    By Dolly Dagger in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 6th January 2008, 06:52 PM
  4. Okay, just WHAT does an old lady scent smell like?
    By FufuLaRue in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 7th January 2007, 06:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000