Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy KOUROS: Why all the hate?

Kouros is for me. It was love @ first sniff since 1989 and ever since. I really can't understand why there are so many vehement haters that refer to Kouros as "urinal cakes". In every single thread that Kouros is mentioned, there seems that someone is calling it urinal cakes. I know that I don't smell like piss!! and my beautiful wife would certainly agree!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: KOUROS: Why all the hate?

I used to wear Kouros back in the day. It does have a clean smell so I can see the urinal cakes analogy, although I don't agree with it. However, it certainly isn't a pissy smell.

Now, Czech and Speake Citrus Paradisi is your man for that particular odour. Especially if you happen to be a cat...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's simply not easy to wear for some people. That's pretty much a lot of YSL's stuff before they did friendlier, more accessible L'Homme lineup.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, not all of us hate Kouros! See: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=1

I don't even get the big hoopla over it's strength. After the first hour it retains a decent amount of sillage (especially when compared to the watery "for the masses" stuff that's popular now) but it's quite the pussy cat compared to the outrageous descriptions I read on here. I think most people sniff the opening, scrub it off and call it a day. If they gave it another shot after they've experienced a few more scents and give it time to mellow, I think they'd find acounts of the beast are much exaggerated. And, like me, they may even be able to love it!
    Last edited by PorkFat; 26th February 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maby because it smell so cheap..

Quote Originally Posted by easykiller View Post
    I really can't understand why there are so many vehement haters that refer to Kouros as "urinal cakes". In every single thread that Kouros is mentioned, there seems that someone is calling it urinal cakes. I know that I don't smell like piss!
    I think that the reference is to the smell of the actual urinal cakes accord and not the smell of the urine. I am putting out my love for Kouros right now, can you feel it?

Urinal cakes are meant to mask the urine smell, and there are animalic notes in Kouros, no doubt, so you can't really tell other people that they are crazy for the association. Kouros seems like a frag that is best suited to certain kinds of "skin chemistry." In particular, others have noted that you need to walk through a mist of it or put it on AND THEN take a shower, which is of course not the usual thing. I tried to dilute it, and it did work, but I still didn't like the scent. It has too many notes and seems like it is supposed to smell "like a guy." I am more interested in specific notes or combinations these days, rather than a frag that has a general quality. So, if it works for you, that's great, but there are at least two major reasons why it is disliked by many.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th February 2010 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My own theory is a lot of the hate comes from people who judge it on the intial spray/opening notes. That is intensly civet laden. That's why I walked away from initially.

After dry down it is a rather pungent scent and I'm sure many users of Kouros have over applied. It it a scent that will "attack" and not leave other people alone if used too heavily.

Maybe some people are just more sensitive to it than others. For me, C&S is the scent with the most foul note in it that emerges periodically when I've worn No. 88. I mean foul. But others love it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th February 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There would not be so much hate if the commercial sanitary products folks made some different choices.
    It smells like a wonderful masculine/fresh scent that got a toilet mint (urinal cake) thrown in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Maby because it smell so cheap..
    As if Burberry and Kenzo are the pinnacle of fine fragrance...

PawelL

One of the most inspired perfume creations to date.

Kouros works well for me and I rather enjoy this scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros needs its own sub-forum ..

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely have had a love/hate relationship with Kouros. It really is a brilliant creation, and I think that the dry down is incredible. The civet note is prevalent to the extent that my wife mentions that it reminds her a little bit of cat urine. We have 6 cats, so I trust her expert opinion. I don't find the civet note overpowering, and I believe that it does give Kouros its unique character. I wore it to work one day, and I my opinion of Kouros went from 5 stars to 2 stars because for the first time it had an "unclean" smell to it (others have mentioned it in their reviews, but I had never before smelled it) ----> http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?d...scussionid=425 . Kouros has since recovered some status in my wardrobe, but for me, it will never be a formal scent. I will probably always enjoy Kouros casually (but not around the wife), but I have better smelling frags in my wardrobe.

In answer to your question, I think the urinal nature of civet note is exaggerated by most people. The civet note is what turns off most people, and some just seem to be more acutely aware of it than are others. That, I believe is the point of controversy. Kouros is unique, and enjoyable when worn in moderation and in the proper setting, but it's not for everyone.
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 27th February 2010 at 02:55 AM.

The hate? I think it's pretty simple, a lot of people don't like the fragrance at all. I'm personally one of them, I think the fragrance doesn't smell good at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros to separate you from the pack, here comes the Alpha male.
    Wearing it is like pissing all over marking your territory.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros is not for everyone. That is why God invented Acqua di Gio.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

It's puzzling to me to see several folks explaining (or explaining away) the "urinal cake" analogy as an associative chain. The argument seems to be that civet reminds people of urine, urine reminds people of restrooms, restrooms contain urinal cakes, urinal cakes and urine go together like peas and carrots, and so some of us must be accidentally washing up on the urinal cake analogy after floating rudderlessly in a sea of associations for a while.

But the actual explanation is a lot simpler: Kouros smells like urinal cakes. Not urine, not urine-soaked urinal cakes, not something that once reminded someone's brother of urinal cakes. It [that accord] doesn't have anything to do with urine. It's urinal cakes: a bright, camphoraceous, industrial hygiene kind of odor.

Yeah, Kouros has civet in it, too, and that has its own associations, which are potentially urinous. But to say that Kouros smells like urinal cakes is not necessarily to say that it smells like urine.

That's why urinal cakes exist. They're an attempt to make bathrooms smell like something other than urine.

It's true that you don't see a lot of Kourophiles professing their love "because it smells like urinal cakes," but I wonder if that isn't mostly because the "urinal cake" thing is a favorite of the anti-Kouros faction.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 26th February 2010 at 09:47 PM.

It smells like the "cakes" as well as urine to me, at the very least. At this point, I trust my nose to a large degree. However, it is true that you can smell some notes that are pleasant (at least to me) too. At least one problem is that it is so strong that it smells "artificial. When I diluted it with vodka it was better in that sense, but then the "problem" was that it smelled like a blend that was rather uninteresting, which is true for many frags of that type. Even if you like the blend, it can get boring quickly. Compare it to Mustang by Dorall. The notes listed for that are tobacco (dry, leafy type), basil, and leather. I'd guess there is a touch of amber to soften/sweeten it slightly, and some musk, etc., but nothing animalic. Though you can't get more "manly" than Mustang, I enjoy it when I am seeking those notes. With the frags possessing a huge number of notes, like Kouros, there is either one "sticking out" and creating imbalance (such as the lavender in Horizon and many others) or else it just seems a bit boring after a while (if it's not too strong for you, as I said).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th February 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No hate here. It's all good on my end.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hate this one, I tried it a few times, I did my best to like it but I just cant....its just too chemical to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Kouros needs its own sub-forum ..
    Yes indeed. Interesting how it's so powerful it brings new members to want to write about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    No hate here. It's all good on my end.
    Plus one and I'm with Ron.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    But the actual explanation is a lot simpler: Kouros smells like urinal cakes. Not urine, not urine-soaked urinal cakes, not something that once reminded someone's brother of urinal cakes. It [that accord] doesn't have anything to do with urine. It's urinal cakes: a bright, camphoraceous, industrial hygiene kind of odor.
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

I sprayed the sample twice. Women over 50 told me "it smells like an old man".

Post Thanks / Like

You learn to accept the fact that some people hate the things you love and move on.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Once again, Kouros chooses its friends. No matter how much the haters freely bash it, it will always remain a major milestone in perfumery. And one of my favourites.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Love that!

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros is not for everyone. That is why God invented Acqua di Gio. <---- Brilliant! :-)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    There would not be so much hate if the commercial sanitary products folks made some different choices.
    It smells like a wonderful masculine/fresh scent that got a toilet mint (urinal cake) thrown in it.
    Dullah, even as an obsessed lover of Kouros, i must admit that this is the best Kouros-knock i have read Why? Because it is so so true. Beautiful toilet mints they chose to throw in though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

For me personally, because its notes simply come off as too pungent and acid for my taste.

Post Thanks / Like

Nowadays it is too popular to critisize Kouros , when people doesn't understend something they should not offend somebody else's taste and love but that is some people's nature ... what can we do about that?

I don't understand the hate either.
    I really like Kouros and don't detect any urinal cake note in it.
    The urinal cakes in The Netherlands smell nothing like Kouros.
    I wish they did though because when I go out I usually aim at the urinal cake and most of the time they smell like lemon or something really harsh and industrial.
    Either way, they never smell anything like Kouros.

Why?

Let me see...

It burns the nostrils, but not in a good way...

It should be illegal in 9 countries...

And it does have bits of actual cat (well, cat family) in it.

Joking aside, my Dad used Kouros for most of the 80s, and I have no idea how many sprays he used, but it was at least 2 sprays too many. This is probably why I have a pathalogical dislike of the stuff.

Let's face it, civet notes are stinky. I don't want to be stinky, I want to smell... good

Post Thanks / Like

xxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently upgraded Kouros in my wardrobe from a 50ml bottle to a 100ml one. I love this stuff !
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Post Thanks / Like

Not everyone can get away with this one. A Masterpiece

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I hope I like Kouros when I sample it then. Currently, Acqua di Gio pour Homme is my Kouros. I shudder when I smell it. Just plain bad ( especially in winter).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Why does "smells like urinal cake" necessarily equal "hate"?

If it's OK to love Cuba or Jicky even though they smell like feces, surely it's OK to love Kouros in all its urinal cake glory?

Maybe perceiving the urinal cake note is the "red pill" of Kouros appreciation -- anyone who smells it drops out of the Kourophile matrix.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get urinal but I think some people are really sensitive to that note, hence all the commotion
    one of the best layering I have done is Kouros with Antaeus, I could not believe how good it smelled, I regret selling my Kouros!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post

Yeah, Kouros has civet in it, too, and that has its own associations, which are potentially urinous. But to say that Kouros smells like urinal cakes is not necessarily to say that it smells like urine.
    Nope, it smells distinctly of URINE to me. I agree it smells like urinal cakes....... soaking in stale urine. Actually, if I'm going to be accurate it smells like stale cat urine.

Edit: And one thing that I find funny, is how staunchly and blindly Kouros-lovers defend this scent. As if to imply, that those that smell urine in it are delirious. It's quite obvious to me at least, that there are notes that about 50% of people are highly anosmic to. Trust me, smell it through my nose, and it's a litter box, pure and simple.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 27th February 2010 at 09:06 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Some notes or combinations can be difficult for the "newbie nose" to understand. If you read reviews, you will come across M7 described as "fruit loops" and things like that. Honey can come across as urine-like, especially if something like jasmine is also present. I had problems with neroli at first, but now I like it, though I might still not like the frag in general. I've found that if you dilute a frag that you dislike, you can at least understand it better, even if you still don't like it. I understand what Kouros was meant to be now, but it's not the kind of frag I find myself reaching for, even if I liked that particular combination of notes, which I don't (diluted or not). The closest frag to Kouros that I wear once in a while (perhaps once every two months, at most) is Mambo for men. It is also an attempt to get a lot of different kinds of notes to work well together. I would agree that it may not be as "artful" as Kouros, but I find those notes more pleasant. In general, though, I find myself drawn more to frags that have two or three prominent notes these days.

Post Thanks / Like

How to make Kouros the best fragrance EVER:
    1. Use 2 sprays of Kouros on the neck from exactly 15 cm.
    2. Wait 6 hours
    3. Smell ! I guarantee that it will be the best scent you ever felt in your life ! Try it !
    After, 6 houros, Kouros is a very sweet fragrance (not like A*Men through). I imagine a guy in a suit now, not an animal.
    By the way : what is animalic ? It means you smell like an animal (like a dog) ? That's kinda stupid to say... "animalic"...
    I say it now : Kouros is my favourite scent. That's all.
    Last edited by Yves Saint Lourock; 27th February 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only person who loves Kouros and totally understands why some people hate it?

One reason Kouros wearers love it is because it is controversial and bold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yves Saint Lourock View Post
    By the way : what is animalic ? It means you smell like an animal (like a dog) ? That's kinda stupid to say... "animalic"...
    I say it now : Kouros is my favourite scent. That's all.
    "Animalic" is a perfumistic term which denotes the use of animal notes including but not limited to: Civet, Musk, Ambergris and Castoreum
    Last edited by mrclmind; 27th February 2010 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I hate the ones who hate Kouros, get it ?

I know, America is a MUCH better country then Romania, but people have REALY BAD tastes there. They may be more civilized, they may have more money, they may be with 100 years more evolved then us, but they have the worst tastes in the world, with their stupid fresh scents, that last 2 hours or with their highly diluted beer (4% ABV, in Germany it is 16 % ABV sometimes).
    I mean, why are all things so diluted there ?"OMG, how strong", "I only use 1 spray" etc etc.
    I don't even understand the fact that it is strong.I must have the weakest nose in the world, because to me, Kouros is a normal strength scent.
    Let's just say K is a very good scent and end this $h*t.
    Last edited by Lian; 1st March 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: trolling, no need to insult an entire country

Post Thanks / Like

I know, America is a MUCH better country then Romania, but people have REALY BAD tastes there. They may be more civilized, they may have more money, they may be with 100 years more evolved then us, but they have the worst tastes in the world, with their stupid fresh scents, that last 2 hours or with their highly diluted beer (4% ABV, in Germany it is 16 % ABV sometimes).
    I mean, why are all things so diluted there ?! "OMG, how strong", "I only use 1 spray" etc etc.
    I don't even understand the fact that it is strong.I must have the weakest nose in the world, because to me, Kouros is a normal strength scent.
    Dude, it has nothing to do with tastes. I don't want to smell like pee, end of story.
    Last edited by Lian; 1st March 2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: edited the quote
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion (please calm down, it is just my opinion, please), only stupid american idiots hate it.
    I mean, why are all things so diluted there ? They must be pu$$ies ! "OMG, how strong", "I only use 1 spray" etc etc.
    Don't be afraid to tell us how you really think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Dude, it has nothing to do with tastes. I don't want to smell like pee, end of story.
    A controversial scent like this needs a reply like this. Sorry, if I offended someone, because americans first shoot you and then they judge you or think about it.
    Last edited by Yves Saint Lourock; 27th February 2010 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know, America is a MUCH better country then Romania, but people have REALY BAD tastes there. They may be more civilized, they may have more money, they may be with 100 years more evolved then us, but they have the worst tastes in the world, with their stupid fresh scents, that last 2 hours or with their highly diluted beer...
    Well, at least we're helping lead the world to democracy through our sterling example of transparent, effective government and our exceptional history of international cooperation.

And by the way, there is no God!

Now that we have Kouros, nationalism, politics and religion all in the same thread, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the show.

Post Thanks / Like

Lighten up dude and don't paint us all with the same brush. Every scent in here has some who love it and some who hate it. Kouros is a strong scent that isn't right for everybody. Nothing is.

"I hate the ones who hate Kouros." Do you hate anyone who doesn't agree with your tastes?
    Hope you're not working in the government there.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th February 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a wrond conception about fragrances. Calm, down, this is just a forum, guys, it has nothing to do with international relationsips or stuff.
    I now know that there is not a single scent that everybody likes, but Chanel No.5 may just be the scent with the most lovers.
    The fragrance with the least lovers and the most controversial ever may be this one.

Post Thanks / Like

xxxxxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

People will either like or dislike Kouros at first sniff and nothing in the middle. But these kind of Kouros threads will always end up turning into a personal attack thread or nation bashing thread. Sigh...
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Put the word "Body" before Kouros and the title will then be: Why all the Love?!

Its cohort is an unparalleled defeat against this bathroom sanitizer at In-N-Out. Period.

Post Thanks / Like

well hmmm ummmmm......
    if u like it, u like it, if u dont, u dont. thats it. whats the problem here.
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Post Thanks / Like

Much thanks to all for all the informative posts.

i like it but on a full wearing it makes me feel nauseous maybe its the clove.

i had to swap mine away *cries*

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just can't handle the bull...so they get the horns!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, why are all things so diluted there ? "OMG, how strong", "I only use 1 spray" etc etc.
    The historical study I'm currently writing deals with mutual perceptions of Americans and Europeans. There's a standard repertoire of bipolar images of America (derived from older traditions) that already appears in Columbus' first letter to the Sovereigns: noble savages and bestial cannibals, earthly paradise and unstructured wilderness, innocence and primitivity, material abundance and spiritual poverty, utopia and hell. These images have been regularly updated, but they never go away, because they are tools of projecting one's own fears and desires upon an alien "other" thereby stabilizing one's own individual/group/national identity.

In fact grumpy Europeans of any nationality have always gladly resorted to the culture card, erroneously confusing American culture with mass culture, which may have been dominated by American products and images in the 20th century, but is product of advanced capitalism just as evident in Western Europe. I've seen so many examples of brilliant intellectuals, artists, scholars, diplomats etc. falling into this trap (which is mutual, Americans do the same in reverse) that I can't feel angry anymore about it. In fact, the only way to perhaps break the cycle, is not to retaliate, but to explain, which I'm trying to do here. Anyway, some of the best beer in the world is being brewed in microbreweries in the US - much better than your average German supermarket beer. Andy Tauer called an extremely powerful, tarryperfume of his Lone Star memories. Because, besides the tradition of sterility, hygiene etc. born in the 1950s in the US (no less than in Germany), there's a tradition of rugged masculinity in the US associated with cowboys, athletes, sweat etc. The US is a much more diverse and complicated place than Disneyland, McDonalds and Bud Light may suggest (actually, even Disneyland is culturally pretty complex, but that's a different story).

As to Kouros: On my skin it is awful, while it was really good on my father-in-law. I prefer Creed's Orange Spice, which is essentially toned-down Kouros. The urinal cake association is a result of the orange and clove combo, which is popular in functional perfumery (in a cheap synthetic variant, of course), an echo of old potpourri, pomander etc. recipes.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 1st March 2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: edited quote and removed subjection analysis
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.