Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Unhappy KOUROS: Why all the hate?

Kouros is for me. It was love @ first sniff since 1989 and ever since. I really can't understand why there are so many vehement haters that refer to Kouros as "urinal cakes". In every single thread that Kouros is mentioned, there seems that someone is calling it urinal cakes. I know that I don't smell like piss!! and my beautiful wife would certainly agree!
    Currently wearing: Santal Blush by Tom Ford

Default Re: KOUROS: Why all the hate?

I used to wear Kouros back in the day. It does have a clean smell so I can see the urinal cakes analogy, although I don't agree with it. However, it certainly isn't a pissy smell.

Now, Czech and Speake Citrus Paradisi is your man for that particular odour. Especially if you happen to be a cat...

Blog Entries

It's simply not easy to wear for some people. That's pretty much a lot of YSL's stuff before they did friendlier, more accessible L'Homme lineup.

Dependent

Oh well, not all of us hate Kouros! See: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=1

I don't even get the big hoopla over it's strength. After the first hour it retains a decent amount of sillage (especially when compared to the watery "for the masses" stuff that's popular now) but it's quite the pussy cat compared to the outrageous descriptions I read on here. I think most people sniff the opening, scrub it off and call it a day. If they gave it another shot after they've experienced a few more scents and give it time to mellow, I think they'd find acounts of the beast are much exaggerated. And, like me, they may even be able to love it!
    Last edited by PorkFat; 26th February 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Maby because it smell so cheap..

Quote Originally Posted by easykiller View Post
    I really can't understand why there are so many vehement haters that refer to Kouros as "urinal cakes". In every single thread that Kouros is mentioned, there seems that someone is calling it urinal cakes. I know that I don't smell like piss!
    I think that the reference is to the smell of the actual urinal cakes accord and not the smell of the urine. I am putting out my love for Kouros right now, can you feel it?

Urinal cakes are meant to mask the urine smell, and there are animalic notes in Kouros, no doubt, so you can't really tell other people that they are crazy for the association. Kouros seems like a frag that is best suited to certain kinds of "skin chemistry." In particular, others have noted that you need to walk through a mist of it or put it on AND THEN take a shower, which is of course not the usual thing. I tried to dilute it, and it did work, but I still didn't like the scent. It has too many notes and seems like it is supposed to smell "like a guy." I am more interested in specific notes or combinations these days, rather than a frag that has a general quality. So, if it works for you, that's great, but there are at least two major reasons why it is disliked by many.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th February 2010 at 06:56 PM.

My own theory is a lot of the hate comes from people who judge it on the intial spray/opening notes. That is intensly civet laden. That's why I walked away from initially.

After dry down it is a rather pungent scent and I'm sure many users of Kouros have over applied. It it a scent that will "attack" and not leave other people alone if used too heavily.

Maybe some people are just more sensitive to it than others. For me, C&S is the scent with the most foul note in it that emerges periodically when I've worn No. 88. I mean foul. But others love it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 26th February 2010 at 07:04 PM.

There would not be so much hate if the commercial sanitary products folks made some different choices.
    It smells like a wonderful masculine/fresh scent that got a toilet mint (urinal cake) thrown in it.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Maby because it smell so cheap..
    As if Burberry and Kenzo are the pinnacle of fine fragrance...

PawelL

One of the most inspired perfume creations to date.

Kouros works well for me and I rather enjoy this scent.

Kouros needs its own sub-forum ..

I definitely have had a love/hate relationship with Kouros. It really is a brilliant creation, and I think that the dry down is incredible. The civet note is prevalent to the extent that my wife mentions that it reminds her a little bit of cat urine. We have 6 cats, so I trust her expert opinion. I don't find the civet note overpowering, and I believe that it does give Kouros its unique character. I wore it to work one day, and I my opinion of Kouros went from 5 stars to 2 stars because for the first time it had an "unclean" smell to it (others have mentioned it in their reviews, but I had never before smelled it) ----> http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?d...scussionid=425 . Kouros has since recovered some status in my wardrobe, but for me, it will never be a formal scent. I will probably always enjoy Kouros casually (but not around the wife), but I have better smelling frags in my wardrobe.

In answer to your question, I think the urinal nature of civet note is exaggerated by most people. The civet note is what turns off most people, and some just seem to be more acutely aware of it than are others. That, I believe is the point of controversy. Kouros is unique, and enjoyable when worn in moderation and in the proper setting, but it's not for everyone.
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 27th February 2010 at 02:55 AM.

The hate? I think it's pretty simple, a lot of people don't like the fragrance at all. I'm personally one of them, I think the fragrance doesn't smell good at all.

Kouros to separate you from the pack, here comes the Alpha male.
    Wearing it is like pissing all over marking your territory.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Sur la Plage

Kouros is not for everyone. That is why God invented Acqua di Gio.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's puzzling to me to see several folks explaining (or explaining away) the "urinal cake" analogy as an associative chain. The argument seems to be that civet reminds people of urine, urine reminds people of restrooms, restrooms contain urinal cakes, urinal cakes and urine go together like peas and carrots, and so some of us must be accidentally washing up on the urinal cake analogy after floating rudderlessly in a sea of associations for a while.

But the actual explanation is a lot simpler: Kouros smells like urinal cakes. Not urine, not urine-soaked urinal cakes, not something that once reminded someone's brother of urinal cakes. It [that accord] doesn't have anything to do with urine. It's urinal cakes: a bright, camphoraceous, industrial hygiene kind of odor.

Yeah, Kouros has civet in it, too, and that has its own associations, which are potentially urinous. But to say that Kouros smells like urinal cakes is not necessarily to say that it smells like urine.

That's why urinal cakes exist. They're an attempt to make bathrooms smell like something other than urine.

It's true that you don't see a lot of Kourophiles professing their love "because it smells like urinal cakes," but I wonder if that isn't mostly because the "urinal cake" thing is a favorite of the anti-Kouros faction.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 26th February 2010 at 09:47 PM.

It smells like the "cakes" as well as urine to me, at the very least. At this point, I trust my nose to a large degree. However, it is true that you can smell some notes that are pleasant (at least to me) too. At least one problem is that it is so strong that it smells "artificial. When I diluted it with vodka it was better in that sense, but then the "problem" was that it smelled like a blend that was rather uninteresting, which is true for many frags of that type. Even if you like the blend, it can get boring quickly. Compare it to Mustang by Dorall. The notes listed for that are tobacco (dry, leafy type), basil, and leather. I'd guess there is a touch of amber to soften/sweeten it slightly, and some musk, etc., but nothing animalic. Though you can't get more "manly" than Mustang, I enjoy it when I am seeking those notes. With the frags possessing a huge number of notes, like Kouros, there is either one "sticking out" and creating imbalance (such as the lavender in Horizon and many others) or else it just seems a bit boring after a while (if it's not too strong for you, as I said).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th February 2010 at 09:57 PM.

No hate here. It's all good on my end.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Banned

I really hate this one, I tried it a few times, I did my best to like it but I just cant....its just too chemical to me

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Kouros needs its own sub-forum ..
    Yes indeed. Interesting how it's so powerful it brings new members to want to write about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    No hate here. It's all good on my end.
    Plus one and I'm with Ron.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    But the actual explanation is a lot simpler: Kouros smells like urinal cakes. Not urine, not urine-soaked urinal cakes, not something that once reminded someone's brother of urinal cakes. It [that accord] doesn't have anything to do with urine. It's urinal cakes: a bright, camphoraceous, industrial hygiene kind of odor.
    Agree.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

I sprayed the sample twice. Women over 50 told me "it smells like an old man".

You learn to accept the fact that some people hate the things you love and move on.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Once again, Kouros chooses its friends. No matter how much the haters freely bash it, it will always remain a major milestone in perfumery. And one of my favourites.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Kouros is not for everyone. That is why God invented Acqua di Gio.
    Love that!

Kouros is not for everyone. That is why God invented Acqua di Gio. <---- Brilliant! :-)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    There would not be so much hate if the commercial sanitary products folks made some different choices.
    It smells like a wonderful masculine/fresh scent that got a toilet mint (urinal cake) thrown in it.
    Dullah, even as an obsessed lover of Kouros, i must admit that this is the best Kouros-knock i have read Why? Because it is so so true. Beautiful toilet mints they chose to throw in though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed