Code of Conduct

Default Hospital fragrances

Would you wear anything if you work at a hospital (not surgery) and see patients?

What are your suggestions?

I am also looking for something non-threatening like Kenzo homme fresh but with better longevity.

If you are the patient what would you like or what would you be turned off by?

Thanks!

Default Re: Hospital fragrances

I'd have a supply of five conservative scents, classics, high quality, traditional, and I'd rely mostly on those. When I felt the need I'd use one of my odder scents (I truly think it's not much of a social deal what scent one wears--we ourselves are the greatest worriers and fusspots about our scents).

If I were a patient I wouldn't care if anyone was wearing a scent.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I would not wear anything if I worked in a hospital.

Basenotes Institution

When I worked in hospital - I wore Chanel No.5 . The patients loved it. About the most compliments I ever got for a scent in my life.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I rarely wear anything for the fear that I might offend patients but I think something light can be acceptable if it does not interfere or compete with hospital smells.

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    I rarely wear anything for the fear that I might offend patients but I think something light can be acceptable if it does not interfere or compete with hospital smells.
    Heck, it should be strong in order to block out the hospital smells. Preserve the hospital smells? Are they somehow dignified?

I think most people think about whether or not any fragrance smells good, not about whether they can chalk you up in the faux pas column.

DustB I shouldn't mask hospital smells (some medicines have those smells for a reason) because that is unprofessional and disrespectful to colleagues and can get in the way of an emergency.

Wear whatever you want under your clothes. I have 2-3 squirts on my chest and stomach. Then undershirt, scrubs, then coat. It is almost always subtle and understated.....although I was wearing Avignon the other day and someone walked by and said..."ewww..who's wearing the Ben-Gay..." ouch. I guess Avignon might have more sillage than most

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    DustB I shouldn't mask hospital smells (some medicines have those smells for a reason) because that is unprofessional and disrespectful to colleagues and can get in the way of an emergency.
    Then I certainly defer.

I do think you should consider how even powerful fragrances needn't be room dominators and that to wear a fragrance doesn't mean that any smell inherently expands beyond your personal space.

I some people that work in hospitals and fragrance is not allowed at all were they work. Patients can have adverse effects to a scent or may even more sensitive to scent due to medications - etc. Personally I can honestly say I have never smelled scents on any one in the medical field -

I've worked in an ICU setting befoe, and a discrete fragrance is almost always appreciated. The smell of rotting flesh, infected wounds and antiseptic surroundings is often a bit offsetting for the families involved. As long as your fragrance does not offend, then I have found it is a bonus. These settings are so very difficult for families (and I say families because most of my patients were not cohent enough to voice an opinion), I really think they appriciate a soft, comforting smell. The key is to not project loud, obvious scent. anything in good taste should do just fine.

Now that I work in an office setting, but frequently deal with patients and staff, my choices have broadened slightly. But I pick my fragrances wisely, and I have never had anyone voice distaste.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    I've worked in an ICU setting befoe, and a discrete fragrance is almost always appreciated. The smell of rotting flesh, infected wounds and antiseptic surroundings is often a bit offsetting for the families involved. As long as your fragrance does not offend, then I have found it is a bonus. These settings are so very difficult for families (and I say families because most of my patients were not cohent enough to voice an opinion), I really think they appriciate a soft, comforting smell. The key is to not project loud, obvious scent. anything in good taste should do just fine.
    This post sounds very sensible to me.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th February 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Smile Re: Hospital fragrances- I LOL-ed

LOL, I saw the title of this thread and thought the question was going to be "I'm having a heart attack, or I've just been shot, what fragrance would you recomend I wear to the emergency room?"

That would be the kind of dedication I expect from a Basenoter!

Handsome Toad: Ha ..in that case I'd strongly recommend to wear none!

What cello said, a comfortable soft scent. Something that is non-intrusive but subtle and pleasant. I am quite comfortable with Kenzo homme fresh but very poor longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    When I worked in hospital - I wore Chanel No.5 . The patients loved it. About the most compliments I ever got for a scent in my life.
    Wow, I remember a girl wearing Chanel 5 in one of our rotations and she was told never to wear that again. Maybe things are different in teaching hospitals with grumpy superiors.

Gendarme. Can't imagine anyone being bothered by that one.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm a nurse, and I wear whatever the hell I want.
    Even Hypnotic Poison if I feel like it.
    With that said, I usually wear something like Dune
    or Dior Homme at work.
    Just the other day, a patient of mine told me I
    smelled like Danish Pastry, it was Dior Homme!

I think many patients like to smell something other
    that dull hospital air filled with dull medicine smells!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 27th February 2010 at 03:58 AM.

I would wear something like Puro Lino
    smells like fresh laundry you really can't go wrong
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Frankly, this sounds ridiculous. If a family has someone in the ICU they are not being comforted by your scent, whatever it is.

This has been discussed on other threads.

When in hospitals, esp. for the medical staff, do not wear any type of scent.

When visiting hospitals, please keep in mind that some people are not like us. Keep the scents very neutral, or leave it off all together.

Some people (believe it or not) can have an anaphylactic reaction (violent allergy reaction)to some types of perfume. This can be life-threatening.

At other times, some scents can make others very ill to the point of vomiting. Some with migraines are affected by scent, and some pregnant women are very sensitive. I have a familly member who was made ill at the scent of jasmine when pregnant.

You can always douse yourself when you leave the hospital and indulge to your heart's content, but hospitals are not the place to impose our will on others.

(This is like smoking. Polite smokers will ask first before lighting a cigarette or cigar. Smoking is not to everyone's taste.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th February 2010 at 04:29 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This has been discussed on other threads.

When in hospitals, esp. for the medical staff, do not wear any type of scent.

When visiting hospitals, please keep in mind that some people are not like us. Keep the scents very neutral, or leave it off all together.

Some people (believe it or not) can have an anaphylactic reaction (violent allergy reaction)to some types of perfume. This can be life-threatening.

At other times, some scents can make others very ill to the point of vomiting. Some with migraines are affected by scent, and some pregnant women are very sensitive. I have a familly member who was made ill at the scent of jasmine when pregnant.

You can always douse yourself when you leave the hospital and indulge to your heart's content, but hospitals are not the place to impose our will on others.

(This is like smoking. Polite smokers will ask first before lighting a cigarette or cigar. Smoking is not to everyone's taste.)
    Although I respect your opinion, I disagree completely. This habit is NOTHING like smoking. Second hand smoke causes cancer, second hand aromatics *might* cause a headache.
    Like I said before, as long as you keep it subtle, you are fine. People are at no more increased risk of anaphyaxis from your cologne as your deodorant, your laundry detergent, or the Pine-Sol in the hallway. A little sillage without direct application on the skin will not trigger a life-threatening reaction, I promise.

I guess it also depends on the ward you are in charge of. I'd say no to fragrances if you are working with patients with respiratory conditions or severe allergies but otherwise, I'm sure the people in the hospital can appreciate Cologne Blanche over the sterile hospital air.
    Visit my blog at http://thescenter.blogspot.com

When I see patients, I admit, I usually don't wear a fragrance. Whether it be because I've had no sleep and physically can't wear one myself or because beyond my own desires, I champion for the greater good of the patient. Yes, something light and fresh can be doable but it hospital setting, most patients are admitted for a reason and sick people can have an ill reaction, in the lines of an allergic response, or some type of CNS effect N/V/D. So, although I agree that a scent can be worn, keep it light and fresh.

I was just at the Hospital working between surgery and a anticoag clinic. A nurse had apparently bathed in Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers. Hell, I wanted to gag myself and I almost sent her home. Grrrrrrrrr!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Hospital fragrances- I LOL-ed

See post below
    Last edited by russnug; 27th February 2010 at 05:20 AM.

Default Re: Hospital fragrances- I LOL-ed

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Toad View Post
    LOL, I saw the title of this thread and thought the question was going to be "I'm having a heart attack, or I've just been shot, what fragrance would you recomend I wear to the emergency room?"

That would be the kind of dedication I expect from a Basenoter!

Hell yes! A dedicated basenoter should always be prepared to meet their maker!!

A light fragrance is ideal IMO. For example, Cool Water.....Mugler Cologne and Prada Infusion d´Homme are very good for that use. Greetings

Well, I'm an anaesthetist (anaesthesiologst for the US readers), and I can say I've never seen,heard or read of anyone having anaphylaxis to a perfume. If there are any anaesthetists, ED physicians or ICU physicians out there who've experienced this please correct me. I often wonder what to wear to work as I don't want to associate a favourite perfume with a stressful shift and ruin it forever. I tend to wear unobtrusive stuff eg the lighter Paris flankers, cologne, L'Occitane stuff. Having said that, one of the night nurses wears Beautiful and smells fabulous, another wears allure sensuelle and smells great, and I still remember a surgical resident who wore Hypnotic Poison. A bit of individuality in a sterile environment? The only other options are earrings and socks when wearing scrubs...

My cousin asked me the same question not very long ago he is a medical Doctor and this is his first year working at the ER.

I suggested him to check Acqua Di Parma Colonia, some of the Allegorias and Prada infusion. He bought Acqua di Parma and he told me that his co-workers want to buy it also now they have a problem because all of them will be ending smelling the same.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by davedude11 View Post
    Frankly, this sounds ridiculous. If a family has someone in the ICU they are not being comforted by your scent, whatever it is.
    I don't see what's so ridiculous about it. A nice fragrance doesn't lift all worries from peoples shoulders, but it might make them feel more comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. It might also make hospital and its staff feel more human and approachable. (These are subtle perceptions and often subconscious.)

I saw a YouTube vid where a guy said he discovered Ralph Lauren Safari because his best friend's father, a doctor, wears it to work.

Last edited by Spray; 27th February 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I work with patients in a hospital myself. Believe me, given the many unpleasant smells you encounter in the course of their stay, a close-wearing yet pleasant sillage is more than a welcome relief to many. The fact that certain medications have odors that induce mild headaches, I find it ridiculous to ban the wearing of fragrances but not deodorants in hospitals. Is body odour preferable? I don't think so. And certain deodorants actually have harsh sillage. While I understand the argument for a zero sillage in clinical settings, 'discretion' seems a far better word than 'policy'. Wear whatever you want but keep it discreet.

Btw, Handsome Toad, what fragrance would you grab as the paramedics are about to carry you off to the waiting ambulance?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Btw, Handsome Toad, what fragrance would you grab as the paramedics are about to carry you off to the waiting ambulance?
    I told him that bottle of Rochas Man was dangerous! I'm pretty sure he'll wear his beloved Delicious Closet Queen.
    Last edited by Spray; 27th February 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paeonyrose View Post
    I can say I've never seen,heard or read of anyone having anaphylaxis to a perfume. If there are any anaesthetists, ED physicians or ICU physicians out there who've experienced this please correct me.
    I think anaphylactic shock is a bit extreme and not likely with a fragrance. When I think of anaphylaxis, I think of a GNR bacteremia, or perhaps powdered latex, or some sort of IgE mediated reexposure to some sort of anitgen. Fragrance? Nah, thats why I mentioned CNS effects (N/V/D). Hell, there is a thread here about if and what fragrance has ever made you ill, and this is in healthy people. So, sick people have a heightened sensitivity to foods and smells, at times. Since, you don't know who will react in this way, its good policy to not come to work smelling loud, but I would think something pleasant and soft would be appropriate, if nothing else to make "you" feel like you're as clean as possible in a germ ridden unit.

To prove a point, I once put on a latex glove, touched a seemingly clean blanket on a patient's bed, then put my hand in a petri dish. About 2-3 days later, you'd be amazed what grew on it!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    To prove a point, I once put on a latex glove, touched a seemingly clean blanket on a patient's bed, then put my hand in a petri dish. About 2-3 days later, you'd be amazed what grew on it!
    On your hand or the glove?

I work in an x-ray department and almost always wear a frag. I have had some coworkers tell me that they don't like
    pachouli. I don't believe a patient has ever given me the impression that I shouldn't be wearing cologne, and some
    have even complimented me. I mix things up pretty well, and if something strikes a nerve with someone, I try to
    avoid wearing it when they are on the work schedule that day.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask one more thing. If a coworker smells like an ashtray, is it politically correct to say, "Excuse me, you smell like an ashtray, please quit smoking, thanks."?

Probably not, but if they complain on a particular fragrance you can strike a deal: you both quit or you both tolerate each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

I am going to play Eve's advocate here and reassert what I said about pregnant women, who can become ill from different scents, including some perfumes and some foods--such as the smell of fish.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    My cousin asked me the same question not very long ago he is a medical Doctor and this is his first year working at the ER.

I suggested him to check Acqua Di Parma Colonia, some of the Allegorias and Prada infusion. He bought Acqua di Parma and he told me that his co-workers want to buy it also now they have a problem because all of them will be ending smelling the same.
    Basteri,
    Too bad it's such a good choice! You sure gave good advice to your cousin. Pretty funny to think of everyone smelling of the same stuff there. Good choice.

Basenotes Plus

I was just in the hospital (unexpectedly) and two of my nurses smelled wonderful. It was an opportunity for me to strike up a conversation when I was alone, frightened and in pain. One wore Dolce & Gabanna, the other wore Viva La Juicy! I was so happy they were wearing scent. I felt so uncomfortable (and "stinky") from laying in an ER bed for 7 hours.

I will always remember those two nurses and their signature scents.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I don't see what's so ridiculous about it. A nice fragrance doesn't lift all worries from peoples shoulders, but it might make them feel more comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. It might also make hospital and its staff feel more human and approachable. (These are subtle perceptions and often subconscious.)
    Pus 1

Of couse no one is going to say" OMG you smell great- that makes up for my relative's being in a coma, etc" That WOULD be ridic. Cello's post just said it was the perception of comfort and to both caregiver and patient, these perceptions can be subliminal.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 27th February 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Yuck - If I'm sick in the hospital, or being treated for something, I don't wanna smell someone's cologne or perfume. Think about it, you wouldn't walk into a patient's room playing music they might not want to listen to...

P.S. I currently work as a unit coordinator at a hospital and I hear complaints all the time about the "cologne guy" in food services, and the skanky nurse who wears a gallon of cheap vanilla body spray.
    Sales thread here

I would have to grab Angel... maybe this one, perhaps.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I work with patients in a hospital myself. Believe me, given the many unpleasant smells you encounter in the course of their stay, a close-wearing yet pleasant sillage is more than a welcome relief to many.
    Exactly ... that's my boy!

Yep, one person's perfume can be another's poison, that's for sure. I guess it reflects people's opinion on what is acceptable. I remember back at med school we had a lecture about professionalism which included among other things advice about personal hygiene along the lines of patients not appreciating a BO ridden Dr with bad breath & dandruff leaning all over them during an examination. At one hospital I worked at there were notices from admin in the change rooms regarding acceptable personal appearance, apparently triggered by one staff member dressing inappropriately (ie major cleavage, short short skirts, mega-makeup and lots of facial piercings ). The usual advice I guess - keep things safe & average and quite, and few people will be offended.

If I worked in a Hospital I would wear something very light and conservative.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I told him that bottle of Rochas Man was dangerous! I'm pretty sure he'll wear his beloved Delicious Closet Queen.
    LOL, no... I came busting out of the closet a long time ago and openly admit I'm a Lesbian trapped in a man's body. It would be Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has A Gun.

Can smells be the symptoms of some conditions? I just wonder if fragrance may interfere in diagnosis. My wife told me that maskers should not be worn in an autopsy as they had to identify some smells.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Can smells be the symptoms of some conditions? I just wonder if fragrance may interfere in diagnosis. My wife told me that maskers should not be worn in an autopsy as they had to identify some smells.
    A smell could be a subjective symptom in a certain context but it is not quantifiable. If I am correct in understanding your statement and your statement, a smell would not be a symptom, it would be the insult to injury.

I have to say that I always felt that Chanel No 5 extrait has a striking resemblance to embalming fluid. I wear it and I'm not a necrophiliac.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I have to say that I always felt that Chanel No 5 extrait has a striking resemblance to embalming fluid. I wear it and I'm not a necrophiliac.
    lol, I'll have to give the extrait a sniff someday. I've never smelt anything quite as disturbing as formaldehyde. Spend just a few short hours in a lab with a cadaver and it will permeate everything that came into the door with you. Truly horrible stuff.