• Midnight Poison (2007)

12 10.91%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default What's Your Favorite Poison?!

As some of you might have noticed by now,
    I'm a HUGE Poison fan. So I thought I'd enter-
    tain myself a little with this poll.

For me it's tough to choose between the orig.
    Poison and Hypnotic ...
    Even though Poison is an unbeatable classic,
    I went with Hypnotic, it's just so bloody sexy!

Take your pick!

(I predict poor Tendre to be in the bottom, we'll see)
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 27th April 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Default Re: What's Your Favorite Poison?!

Poison - adore it, need it, five stars in every way for the vintage juice. Four stars for the modern juice.

Tendre Poison - may have been good once. Now? Bug-spray. No stars.

Hypnotic Poison - I'd eat something like this, but have no intention of wearing it. Me and gourmands are rarely a match, so I won't say it's bad, it just is what it is. Three stars.

Pure Poison - original Poison, made super-light and "pretty". The only one I see as connected to the original, but I like my darkness intact, thank you. Two stars.

Midnight Poison - kind of middling rose chypre with a lot of patchouli. Okay, but kind of the biggest "Huh?" In the line of Poison flankers. I may be era-biased, but I have a feeling this would have been much better if it had been made in the era before oakmoss got the axe. Two stars.

Hypnotic! It was my five-star today, in fact.

Pure was my wedding fume, and so special because of that. It's a little clean and cold for my tastes.

As an aside, I think the name and ad of Midnight Poison fit the original so much better than what it got.

Compare that to the original Poison ads, which feature either some soft-focus gal swanning around in front of curtains and clouds or alternately, someone's feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I love your answer, Galamb, my fellow Poison addict!
    Come on, you guys, 27 views, but only 3 votes..!

Even though I wouldn't be caught dead in it, I have
    affection towards Tendre, because it was my
    moms signature scent before I introduced her to
    Dolce Vita.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Come on, you guys, 27 views, but only 3 votes..!
    I can't vote because my answer to the title question would be another question: Is it possible to have one?

Like everyone I did have a bottle of original Poison back in 1985 but I hardly ever wore it and gave it away. There's simply no love lost between me and the Poison family or make that the House of Christian Dior. I do love their make-up, though
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Is it possible to have one?
    Wink all you want, you're still blacklisted for that remark!
    If this was 1766, your head would be rolling..!

There's simply no love lost between me and the Poison family or make that the House of Christian Dior.
    OMG! *faints* ... you truely are a traitor!
    'Police! Arrest this woman..!'

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    As some of you might have noticed by now,
    I'm a HUGE Poison fan. So I thought I'd enter-
    tain myself a little with this poll.

For me it's tough to choose between the orig.
    Poison and Hypnotic ...
    Even though Poison is an unbeatable classic,
    I went with Hypnotic, it's just so bloody sexy!

Take your pick!

(I predict poor Tendre to be in the bottom, let's see)
    Yup, me too ! I found it really hard to choose between HP and the original Poison ! I voted for HP - it's just in a class of its own - good ole Annick Menardo .I think you will be right that Tendre will be last of all !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 27th February 2010 at 07:00 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

LOVE the original Poison, lucky enough to have the pre-reformulated stuff. Would love Hypnotic most of all but unfortunately it reminds me of a not so great time in my life (rats rats rats!!!), maybe worth trying yet again, but too many memories associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by paeonyrose View Post
    Would love Hypnotic most of all but unfortunately it reminds me of a not so great time in my life (rats rats rats!!!), maybe worth trying yet again, but too many memories associated with it.
    Same goes for my babysister,
    so I am not allowed to wear
    it around her..!

I wonder if this will entirely be a show-down between Hypnotic and the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I wonder if this will entirely be a show-down between Hypnotic and the original.
    Yeah, I thought at least Midnight would harvest
    a vote or two.
    Now, if we could only get folks to actually vote!

My vote goes to Hypnotic Poison.
    It's truly wonderful, especially in elixir form.

I voted numero uno!

The original for me... It's unbeatable!!!

I love midnight poison. For me it's a very easy scent to wear

Should have had additional category: - 'None of the above, I'd rather eat my own hair thanks'

*protects neck from guillotine*

My favorite is original Poison. I had some cologne concentration left from the 80s, but I gave it to my aunt who absolutely adores Poison.

I also have Hypnotic Poison, but I don't wear it too often. I like it very much before going to bed. It is very comforting.
    Evenstar

Poison original. I had it in the original splash bottle in the mid-1980s when it came out. (This was in the flatter bottle, not the grenade-shaped one now...) In France, some restaurants, if memory serves, banned the wearing of Poison because of the sillage.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th February 2010 at 05:43 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    'None of the above, I'd rather eat my own hair thanks'

*protects neck from guillotine*
    LOL ... you really needed to say that, so horrid!

'Off with her head!'

I went for Midnight Poison, but it is very much a case of "least worst" for me too! : - )
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th February 2010 at 11:27 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I notice all the Poisons have received at least one vote now. Who voted Tendre?

Oh, I decided to retry Midnight yesterday. It was better than I remembered in the top but the drydown was still a letdown ( patchouli-ish, floral-ish, gourmand-ish without really being anything to my nose).

Sur la Plage

Hypnotic Poison!

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love both Hypnotic Poison & Midnight Poison.
    I use couple bottles of Poison and Tendre Poison in the past.
    To me I think Pure Poison is " insignificant "

I vote for this one

These poisons are... too brutal.

Roundy perfumey blittle brutes. Very radical, they have a big importance and strong points to prove.

Too much for me...

Besides that... they're very very veeeery well known and highly recongnizable... even if just as a smell, if you don't know the name of it. They're very popular.

I respect poisons, but can;t wear any of them, not even Pure and Midnight... still too much... theyt're like huge stamps... I'm not talking about how strong they are, I only reffer at the smell istelf. Too shocking.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Hypnotic Poison!
    Aaargh! What are you doing woman?!
    You are wasting liquid gold for Gods
    sake ... behave yourself!

I own pre-reformulation Poison, Pure Poison, Tendre Poison and Midnight Poison. I enjoy all of them, so my vote is purely what I have worn the most out of all of them in the last few months....Pure Poison

I voted Hypnotic... I have to admit, though, that I haven't owned any of the others. I have vague memories of the original Poison (I think someone in my family wore it at one time), but my own experience comes from receiving a bottle of HP a few years ago. I still have a bottle, so I guess I like it .

I like them all, but only own Tendre Poison. My best friend in high school always wore Poison, so I suppose I tend to think of that one as her scent and so have never bought it. I really don't like that they've named them all Poison because they are soooo different. You'd think they'd have more creative marketing people.

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    I really don't like that they've named them all Poison because they are soooo different.
    I think Poison is the coolest name for a frag,
    so I'm very pleased they keep making new ones.

Opium is cool too, but Poison is the best name ever!

I voted Tendre (is it really discontinued, or is it only here in Norway they don´t take it in anymore??)

I have had them all, right now I only have Hypnotic. I love them all, but I can´t recall how the original smelled, I had it in pure parfum, and all I remember is that it was extremely potent...
    Midnight is maybe my least fave.

I agree that Poison is a genial name (sounds better in French, though...). Opium is, well, kinda silly, IMO)

Edit: I love the bottle design, too. I hope for a yellow-ish summer version, something fresh, citrussy, with notes of aldehydes, wisteria, black currants, grapefruit, lavender, vanilla and...and...and...
    Last edited by musse; 1st March 2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Hi,
    I have some questions about original Poison, which I owned and LOVED back in 1985 or '86, but haven't worn for a very long time (until recently).

Everyone keeps mentioning that Poison was reformulated and I would like to know when it was reformulated. Did it coincide with the change in the bottle design? Or was the packaging changed first and then the juice changed later? How does one know if they are purchasing vintage Poison? I still like the new stuff, so either way I adore it.

Any info on the change would be MOST appreciated as I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else...thanks!

I voted Tendre, as it's the only Poison I've ever worn ... way back in the year of its launch. Would love to hear a little more about its reformulation and availability. Had become convinced that it had been discontinued -- is that correct?

As for the current flankers, I actually like Midnight the best, though I find it kind of 'unremarkable', which I don't think Poison is at all about!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Had become convinced that it had been discontinued -- is that correct?
    It's not completely discontinued ... yet!
    It's hugely rare nowadays, I have just
    bought my a bottle, because I'm affraid
    it will indeed get discontinued, with high
    eBay prices to follow.
    I don't like it that much on me, but it was
    my mothers signature scent in the 90s, so
    I have affection towards is.

It's almost a tie between Pure Poison and Tendre Poison-both are sharp and elegant-Pure Poison is a lot warmer though.

I voted Tendre Poison,since it seems to have more life-like flower notes, and is more interesting-smelling to me-but Pure Poison smells softer, and can be wonderful on the right person at the right time-and it seems harder to overdo than Tendre Poison....

Blog Entries

I voted original, I have a small bottle labeled Espirit de Parufm, but I hardly wear it (and don't give it away) for the same reason -- memories, this fragrance is associated with a particular time in my life. I tried to switch to Pure Poison, and I liked it when I tried it, but something is off with my FB *sigh* I have just recently tried Hypnotic, and it is lovely! Set my sample away for Fall. Tried Midnight and it doesn't smell right on me. And I never tried Tendre.

I bet that it will end up with a tie between Poison and Hypnotic poison...we will see...
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Voted for Hypnotic. Too bloody sexy haha. Only discovered it recently (like last month..). Also tried the original Poison and Pure Poison but Hypnotic was just..Hypnotic! Very seductive and delicious.

It surprises me that Midnight dosn't have more fans,
    it's very mysterious, dark, and sexy ... plus it's an EdP
    so it last forever!

More ppl like Tendre; WTF?!!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 21st April 2010 at 10:13 AM.

+ 1 for the original Poison , followed by Midnight ...yet Poison ROCK and Roll for me .
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die, too (TW)

Pure Poison. Recently got into it. I "analized" more carefuly some samples... smells very similar to an "impulse incognito" deodorant spray. Always wished it was a perfume, not a deo spray, and there I have it... Pure Poison is "impulse incognito", enhanced, and in perfume form. Goody!

edit: even the colours of the bottle are very very similar to the colours of the spray.

http://www.magicmix.hu/termekek/b36.gif <-here it is.

P.S.-the elixir version is even more similar, and stronger.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 21st April 2010 at 05:49 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

I recently gave Hypnotic to my wife as a present. I now quite literally want to have her for dessert as she smells so good! But I also like Midnight. She bought this when it came out. Sure its stingingly strong at times but it suits her dark, sultry looks perfectly.

Respect the original - but I voted for tendre.
    I like that one. Also, the bottle looking so innocently healthy and appetizing at first, then the voluptuous shape in the hand - and then adding that name, Poison Tendre. I think it alltogether matches the scent.
    Im also wondering about the reformulation on this one, anyone know when this happened?
    Im not so pleased with the current version, something is missing. But I have the lotion (wonderful, love it).

DeepSilence

I don't like floral stuff, my vote goes for Hypnotic Poison

I voted for Midnight, it suits me, it's easy to wear, it makes me cheerful. Tendre is second, it's somewhat hair-sprayish but with good longevity, refreshing and suitable for summer. I ended up by giving Pure away, it was too chemical smelling, we haven't 'clicked'.
    Original and Hypnotic are out of question for me to wear since I'm not into gourmands or strong tuberose.
    Last edited by Maddie; 27th April 2010 at 09:10 PM.

i like all of them, but my vote definitely goes to the original one is outstanding

A little off topic but of the same house; tried Miss Cherie the other day. It's a brilliant perfume!! IMO is VERY similar to Chanel Coco Mademoiselle which is a good thing. I am somewhat still new to this - Is it jasmine that gives Chanel their unique smell? I'm talking about the note that instantly tells you it's Chanel?

Hypnotic. I purchased it for my wife, and we both love it.

Definitely Hypnotic Poison - it has been my signature scent at a time where I thought 5 bottles of perfume was a big collection! I wore through some of the happiest years of my life. Not only that but it's a fabulous perfume - so warm and comforting. It's my ultimate feel-good perfume ♥
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    I am somewhat still new to this - Is it jasmine that gives Chanel their unique smell? I'm talking about the note that instantly tells you it's Chanel?
    I am wondering about the same thing.
    Even in the greenest of greens, No. 19,
    there is still that Chanel Smell ... what
    is it?! Aldehydes?!

Me too, definitely Hypnotic Poison Elixir!!!

But I have a lady friend that likes especially Tendre Poison (oddly enough for me).
    Well, it seems that Tendre is somewhat hard to find these days (maybe because of its "huge success" ). So does anyone of you know something similar, a frag that can be found these days and reminds of Tendre Poison?
    Last edited by ampersand; 2nd June 2010 at 11:21 AM.

Thumbs up Re: What's Your Favorite Poison?!

The 1985 issue, the original
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I voted for the original Poison c. 1985. Now I'm craving some. That's what I get for stopping by!

I own and love Pure, Midnight, and Hypnotic. But if I must give top billing to one of them it would HAVE to be HYPNOTIC!!! Hypnotic is one of three fragrances that stole my heart at first sniff.

Hypnotic Poison used to be a great fragrance, but every year it just keeps getting worse and worse. Its not even intoxicating as it used to be, its just a pale image of a the first generation of Hypnotics.
    I really dont know what were they thinking but im guessing it looked something like this:

a: "Oooh people have really gotten mad for this Hypnotic thingy, this is selling crazy!!"
    b: "Hmm yes, we are making so much money that we decided to make some more by decreasing the amount of the perfume essence and adding more alcohol."
    a: "Thats a really good idea. And i have a better one! Lets make new bottles with switched gradient in which we will put the old formula and sell them for a doubled price and make even more money on silly people."

I own an old bottle of Hypnotic and a collectors edition.

Oh and, i voted for the old poison, which was also reformulated of course. I got a 20 year old bottle thankfully, its the best plum fragrance ever.

^^ LOL ... i hear you ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Leukothea View Post
    Hypnotic Poison used to be a great fragrance, but every year it just keeps getting worse and worse. Its not even intoxicating as it used to be, its just a pale image of a the first generation of Hypnotics.
    I really dont know what were they thinking but im guessing it looked something like this:

a: "Oooh people have really gotten mad for this Hypnotic thingy, this is selling crazy!!"
    b: "Hmm yes, we are making so much money that we decided to make some more by decreasing the amount of the perfume essence and adding more alcohol."
    a: "Thats a really good idea. And i have a better one! Lets make new bottles with switched gradient in which we will put the old formula and sell them for a doubled price and make even more money on silly people."

Seriously?!!
    So I need to start hoarding my HP now, too, huh? Mine's from 2007. I bought it when it first came out, and fell victim to the "perfume goes bad after six months' line. Grrrr.

perfume doesnt go bad unless you put it to sunlight or very heated rooms.
    smell the one in production now and compare it to the old one, no chance you wont smell the difference!
    unless you have anosomia )))))
    chown -R us ./base

Hypnotic > Original Poison > Midnight > others

Basenotes Plus

I have never smelled any of the poisons