Code of Conduct

Thread: Corduroy!

Default Corduroy!

e33e3
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 13th March 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Default Re: Corduroy!

I get decent longevity out of Corduroy, but give Bulgari Black a try. They're actually quite similar.
    I refuse to sink.

I dislike Corduroy and I found the following disagreeable for the same reasons, so you may like what I recommend, in order of similarity:

Dunhill Man
    Tommy Bahama
    Escada Magnetism

Now, these aren't duplicates but they will probably scratch that itch you have. You can get samples of almost anything on Scented Monkey, Beauty Encounter and The Perfumed Court.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 27th February 2010 at 03:59 PM.

It sounds like you are getting olfactory fatigue from the top notes. I used to have that problem too, so I know what you mean. Now I blow on the area sprayed, to dry it out quickly, and at the same time I try to avoid breathing them in too much. Then I go into another room so that I don't smell it in the air. I can't think of anything all that similar. For strong cinnamon, there is Zero Plus au Masculin, Witness, and Starring for men (by Avon).

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    I dislike Corduroy and I found the following disagreeable for the same reasons, so you may like what I recommend, in order of similarity:

Dunhill Man
    Tommy Bahama
    Escada Magnetism

Now, these aren't duplicates but they will probably scratch that itch you have. You can get samples of almost anything on Scented Monkey, Beauty Encounter and The Perfumed Court.
    Meh.. Magnetism (which I recently sold) smells like and overpowering version of Armani Code.. both of which are nothing like Corduroy.

Dunhill products disgust me.. maybe its just me but I find that every Dunhill fragrance with the exception of Pure, has this nasty stale smell. I've owned over 300 fragrances and unfortunately a few were Dunhill..I kept saying to myself..I'll give them another shot.. but they never seem to impress me. Desire smells much like Diesel Plus Plus, both of which I owned and sold, both are overpowering and linger. The absolute worst though was Dunhill Man, absolutely horrid.. Maybe one of the most nauseating fragrances ever produced, plus nothing appealing in the juice itself. I got a sample of Desire Blue and it smelled like a less powerful version of Desire, still unappealing to me. I'm a fan of spicy scents, but Desire, Desire Blue, And Diesel Plus Plus for that matter were all total crap. Dunhill Fresh was another screw up, too many ingredients ruined this one. Pure was the only tolerable one IMHO. It was very floral, along the lines of BLV.

As for Tommy Bahama.. big fan of their line, I own both Set Sail South Bart's and South Sea's, both of which are excellent and unique. Very Cool is ok but a little bit too Hawaiian, and the original is very good, unique, I actually need to add that to my collection.

Still none of these smell like Corduroy, when you first spray Corduroy on you.. it's that initial scent that's so unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It sounds like you are getting olfactory fatigue from the top notes. I used to have that problem too, so I know what you mean. Now I blow on the area sprayed, to dry it out quickly, and at the same time I try to avoid breathing them in too much. Then I go into another room so that I don't smell it in the air. I can't think of anything all that similar. For strong cinnamon, there is Zero Plus au Masculin, Witness, and Starring for men (by Avon).
    True. It's just so irresistible, I actually stopped wearing Corduroy for the while, because every time I spray it on me, I wanna bring the bottle out with me.. it's def those top notes that make it so appealing. I own Zero Plus which is one of the spiciest fragrances around IMO, great stuff here.. but has no similarities to Corduroy. I can only wear Zero Plus once in a while though, it's good to have in the collection though and dirt cheap online. My favorite in the Diesel house is Green Masculine, very unique and stand out, very sweet with top notes of lime and vanilla.. the dry down is basically a mellowed dryer version of it's top notes. Lasts considerably long for a very green and sweet fragrance.

Sadly it sounds like you want those opening notes that just don't last on many scents. I think it was CdG 2 Man that has a wonderful smoky opening that fades within 30 minutes. I would have bought it if those notes lasted throughout.

Unfortunately for you cinnamon isn't a big player in many fragrances like it is in Corduroy. It wasn't Dunhill Man but Dunhill Edition that I was thinking of. That's the one with cinnamon in it. I would search the database for frags with that note.

But as I said earlier, I don't care for Corduroy at all but I will say that it is very unique as I've never smelled anything like it, only things that I get a similar vibe from.

But what's stopping you from buying a travel atomizer so that you CAN take the bottle with you and reapply when you feel you need to?
    Last edited by PorkFat; 27th February 2010 at 07:47 PM.

You might like Jacomo Rouge, I think that you would also perceive it as great for a few minutes and then nothing. My guess is that you need to learn to appreciate frags differently, or else you would be better off with something like a scented candle, seriously.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th February 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Zirh Corduroy actually reminds me of a lighter Chanel Egoiste without the metallic rose. Egoiste is lightyears better and stronger, but very different because of the florals and sandalwood, however, it might be worth testing if you like the citrus-cinnamon-woods of Corduroy. Givenchy Gentleman also has a great cinnamon note which I somehow get in the light-leather base rather than the topnotes, but you have hours of tarragon-patchouli before that. Also some of Smell Bent's oils have a really great, rich and longlasting cinnamon note (Horny Little Devil might be up your alley, or try Hungry Hungry Hippies if you like patchouli and fudge brownies and Bollywood or Bust if you liked Egoiste's rose and sandalwood. D&G The One is another option for creamy woods, but I find it has similar longevity issues unless I drown myself in it.

Best spicy-woody-amber imho is Guerlain Vol de Nuit but the edt also has longevity issues and the parfum is certainly not as affordable as Zihr (lol). Ever try YSL Opium (pour femme)? A light application of the edt is spice nirvana and it lasts and lasts.

Your experience could be scent fatigue and/or just the natural development of the fragrance (top notes don't stick around) as others have said.
    Last edited by Antaeusintheair; 27th February 2010 at 09:08 PM.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Armand Basi for men is what you're looking for. The end.

Thanks guys.. I keep checking back to read all your posts.. I'm taking many into consideration. I mean there's thousands and thousands of fragrances, so usually there's at least one that smells just like another. Fortunately there's a great forum like basenotes where I can actually talk to people who are cologne connoisseurs like myself.

tgrtrt
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 13th March 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    LOL @ the comments critiquing my nose. I may be a BN noob, but I'm not a fragrance noob. Come on, have you all actually worn Corduroy, it's not just the top notes that are so heavenly.. those are gone in 1 min (literally) I've accepted that.. try wearing Corduroy.. the juice lasts 30 mins tops, even if you douse yourself in it.
    Actually, I wore it as my SotD yesterday and got a good 10 hours out of it. Fragrances work differently on different people.
    I refuse to sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Actually, I wore it as my SotD yesterday and got a good 10 hours out of it. Fragrances work differently on different people.
    You're the first.

Deleted
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 28th February 2010 at 02:59 PM.