Code of Conduct

Arrow Workhorse Niche (not creed)

Hi, everyone!

I'm looking to make my first trek into the world of niche. I keep hearing great things about expensive materials, great perfumers, higher oil concentrations...

What is your favorite niche fragrance that can be worn any time of the year/day?

Last edited by Spray; 27th February 2010 at 01:00 PM.

Default Re: Workhorse Niche (not creed)

Among many others:
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Czech & Speake No.88
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th February 2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

PDN New York is up there... but really there are so many; it's not possible to name one.

Basenotes Plus

I agree with mrclmind. Barring off the wall eccentric releases, almost ANY niche can be a viable workhorse as long as you know how much to apply to get the desired inoffensive sillage...

I've worn these to work:

1725 by Histoires de Parfums
    1969 by Histoires de Parfums
    5 O'clock au Gingembre by Serge Lutens
    Douce Amere by Serge Lutens
    Musk to Musk by Montale
    Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeurs
    ...etc
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 27th February 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Dependent

I guess, level of quality is usually a perceived subject? As an average (just slightly more obsessed/enthusiastic) consumer, I don't actually know for sure if the scents I am smelling, Niche or Designer contain a better level of better ingredients. Though, if I set such a prerequisite for niche fragrances, I am afraid that I may feel very let down with many that I sniff. I am sure some houses use more expensive ingredients, but I also realise they may not smell "expensive" or of a higher quality, to me. As I have explained before about my personal term of "niche": I just tend to relate to niche as highly unusual/very specific to certain taste. I am far more let down by a "niche" scent that smells conventional, than a designer scent that smells generic. Again, Disclaimer: Not a Niche/desginer-Snob.

With that in mind, a scent that strikes me as very well-made is:

Chergui from Serge Lutens

If I could only choose 1 scent to wear everyday, this would be it, for now.
    Last edited by MFJ; 28th February 2010 at 03:59 AM.

My favorite to wear anytime/anywhere is The Different Company - Sel de Vetiver.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of Creed, but they do have a few scents which I might consider "workhorses." Why do you automatically not want a Creed?
    Last edited by mrclmind; 27th February 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    PDN New York is up there... but really there are so many; it's not possible to name one.
    Yep!

New York is in my top five.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Acqua di Parma Colonia trio. My personal favorite is Assoluta but all three are terrific.

I echo mrclmind's question; why not Creed?

If I were looking for a workhorse type fragrance (one that can be worn whenever and would not seem out of place in black tie or jeans and t-shirt) I'd probably pick a vetiver based fragrance. The recommendation of Sel de Vetiver is a good one, but Red Vetyver by Montale would be a good pick as well.

If vetiver is not your thing then try Absolutment Absinth (not a favorite here on BN but one that I find very wearable and pleasant), Bois d'Iris by TDC, Hindu Grass or Absinthe by Nasomatto.

If you are looking for orientals I would recommend Ambre 114 or Caravelle Epicee by Frapin.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I don't love it myself, but PdN New York a great, very versatile workhorse scent.

Le Labo Rose 31 probably the niche that is most versatile in my collection. It leans a bit sexy, but I've worn it to work a lot.

If you just don't like Creed, whatever. But many of theirs are indeed very good for daily use.

I admit I'm not a huge fan of Creed, but they do have a few scents which I might consider "workhorses." Why do you automatically not want a Creed?
    I wasn't impressed by the holy trinity (GIT, MI, SMW)

Offrez-Lui by Galimard

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I wasn't impressed by the holy trinity (GIT, MI, SMW)
    That's not my holy trinity.

I don't particularly like the newer Creeds.

For starters, try:
    Vintage Tabarome
    Bois du Portugal
    Royal English Leather
    Acier Aluminum
    Orange Spice
    Vetiver (1948)
    Baie de Genièvre
    Ambre Cannelle

I agree, Creed is a house that you can't judge on those 3 scents. There are a few I really do like, i.e., Royal Scottish Lavender, Vetiver, Bois du Portugal, Ambre Cannelle, Royal Delight. Silver Mountain Water is one I actually think is quite good.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 27th February 2010 at 07:31 PM.

I agree, Creed is a house that you can't judge on those 3 scents. There are a few I really do like, i.e., Royal Scottish Lavender, Vetiver, Bois du Portugal, Ambre Cannelle, Royal Delight. Silver Mountain Water is one I actually think is quite good.
    Then I should try BdP. I've read many good things about it.

I like New York above BdP, and they are, in my opinion similar enough to not need both.

Have you tried any of the Annick Goutal scents?

Of course, I love many from Nicolai personally. I also enjoy Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, and Chergui. Have you tried the Amouage scents yet? There are some exceptional fragrances from that house; Dia, is one I would call a "workhorse."

Something by MPG.

Blog Entries

Interesting, after making my thread about suggestions for my new workhorse scent that's relatively easy to find (niche or designer), I decided to pick out a few more to try out on a whim. A few of them just happened to be listed here and I got decants of those on the way! LOL. Nicolai's New York, two AdP Colonias, Le Labo Rose 31, and Creed's Bois du Portugal. I'm just starting to get into niche fragrances, so I figured the best route is to try other houses instead of just Creed (IMO, Creed's a bit overrated since there's plenty of other houses that didn't need to rely on gimmicky history lessons that are just as good).

I like New York above BdP, and they are, in my opinion similar enough to not need both.

Have you tried any of the Annick Goutal scents?

Of course, I love many from Nicolai personally. I also enjoy Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, and Chergui. Have you tried the Amouage scents yet? There are some exceptional fragrances from that house; Dia, is one I would call a "workhorse."
    I haven't tried any of these. I just saw a review by jcepiano for his recently purchased Amouage Reflection. It sounds really nice. My crosshairs are locking on to PdN NY. The reviews are stellar and I can't believe how affordable it is! I'm going to get a vial soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I agree with mrclmind. Barring off the wall eccentric releases, almost ANY niche can be a viable workhorse as long as you know how much to apply to get the desired inoffensive sillage...

I've worn these to work:

1725 by Histoires de Parfums

1969 by Histoires de Parfums
    5 O'clock au Gingembre by Serge Lutens
    Douce Amere by Serge Lutens
    Musk to Musk by Montale
    Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Havana Vanille by L'Artisan Parfumeurs
    ...etc
    Thumbs up on these three.

I'd add FM Angeliques sous la Pluie, Mark Buxton Black Angel, Bois d'Argent, L'Homme de Coeur, MPG Garrigue, TDC Bois d'Iris among others.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 27th February 2010 at 07:53 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Interesting, after making my thread about suggestions for my new workhorse scent that's relatively easy to find (niche or designer), I decided to pick out a few more to try out on a whim. A few of them just happened to be listed here and I got decants of those on the way! LOL. Nicolai's New York, two AdP Colonias, Le Labo Rose 31, and Creed's Bois du Portugal. I'm just starting to get into niche fragrances, so I figured the best route is to try other houses instead of just Creed (IMO, Creed's a bit overrated since there's plenty of other houses that didn't need to rely on gimmicky history lessons that are just as good).
    I hope you like Rose 31. IMO, it's truly an undeniable masterpiece. Never have rose and cumin been combined for such an amazing combination of masculinity, wearability, and sexiness. It truly has sex appeal, and can be worn in almost any situation.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I hope you like Rose 31. IMO, it's truly an undeniable masterpiece. Never have rose and cumin been combined for such an amazing combination of masculinity, wearability, and sexiness. It truly has sex appeal, and can be worn in almost any situation.
    I also had my sights set on TDC's Bois d'Iris on my to try list because so far JC Ellena hasn't disappointed me. I've been on a bit of an iris kick and starting to warm up to liking Infusion d'Homme.

Have you tried the Amouage scents yet? There are some exceptional fragrances from that house; Dia, is one I would call a "workhorse."
    Indeed, if the price isn't an issue, Dia is a great versatile scent that can be worn anytime with anything. Forgot about that one. A sneaky strong scent too. Big compliment getter. My fave from Amouage.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th February 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Noir Epices from the Frederic Malle line would be a good workhorse. I don't own it, but if I wanted something to wear every day, that would probably be it. It is extremely well made, yet understated. I suppose it's a bit like a niche equivalent of Eau Sauvage.

Quote Originally Posted by sean-dt View Post
    Noir Epices from the Frederic Malle line would be a good workhorse. I don't own it, but if I wanted something to wear every day, that would probably be it. It is extremely well made, yet understated. I suppose it's a bit like a niche equivalent of Eau Sauvage.
    The Malle that most appeals to me is the vetiver. I didn't like the dirtiness of Sauvage.

Banned

For a nice starter woody scent, you could try Tam Dao
    Last edited by Keyser Soze; 27th February 2010 at 08:38 PM.

Amouage Silver is a classy workhorse scent. I actually feel Lyric Man is wearable in quite a few situations too, and I think you will find it so as well Spray, if you are comfortable wearing Fleur du Male, as Lyric is more masculine than it, imo.

I think Sel de Vetiver or Un Parfum des Sens et Bois by The Different Company are worth investigating. Of course, I've got to recommend Bois de Turquie, especially if you like orange, cinnamon, and the scent of bay leaves. An ethereal and elegant scent that remains casual because of its light handling. A scent full of heavy notes rendered in a light fashion.

I think you should investigate some of the scents that really exemplify the niche experience though, too, instead of just the workhorse fragrances which tend to be a bit more conservative and don't tend to exemplify the designer/actual-high-end-niche (a lot of niche isn't!) divide as well.

Check out some MPG scents, definitely some Amouage (you need to sniff Gold!) and more Malles.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Bigarade Concentree and Angeliques sous La Pluie work anytime, anywhere.
    Sales thread here

Looking through my own wardrobe, I've been increasingly finding my latest acquisition, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, to fulfill the "anytime" fragrance spot in my wardrobe. It's off-beat and interesting in its accord, yet simple, transparent, and clean enough that I never feel drowned in something "perfumey".

I wear Rose 31 a LOT and in all kinds of weather (granted, in LA that's not a huge spectrum of temperatures).

For all the future viewers of this thread I've got to suggest a seldom mentioned floral suede and vetiver (I think) mix that's found in the wonderful Baladin by Patricia de Nicolai.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Profumum's Ichnusa is a green, clean scent that lasts a quite a while, and I can see working great in the summer, though I've only tried it in the winter. After a couple of hours it reminds me of Mugler Cologne.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is a really great niche perfume but I think could be a bit heavy for the summer, it has a dry quality that might make it annoying when it's hot out.

Divine L'Homme Sage is a workhorse for me, but I think Nicolai NY is a better fragrance.

Unisex niche, my workhorse frags are Chanel Eau de Cologne from the Exclusifs line, and Miller Harris Tangerine Vert.
    Last edited by Asha; 28th February 2010 at 03:51 AM.

Well Spray? What's caught your eye?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well Spray? What's caught your eye?
    I'm leaning towards PdN New York.
    Last edited by Spray; 6th March 2010 at 06:22 AM.

Xxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    For all the future viewers of this thread I've got to suggest a seldom mentioned floral suede and vetiver (I think) mix that's found in the wonderful Baladin by Patricia de Nicolai.
    I just wore it, and reviewed it today. I love it a lot!!
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 05:20 AM.

It's not exactly a workhorse niche - more of a special occasion scent, but I think you should check out Amouage Reflection, too, given (again) your love for Fleur du Male. Reflection has a wonderful neroli note but it's not nearly so front and center as in FdM. Here it shares the stage with the most realistic orris absolute note (my g/f even noted how easy it was to pick up the smell of the orris absolute, which I've had her smell [the raw material] before, in the scent).

The iris stays throughout, lending a luminescent quality to the scent (someone once, aptly, recommended it in a thread asking for a scent that would best represent the smell of moonlight), along with some sweetness and powder. The orange blossom fades and is replaced by a beautiful jasmine note, which combines with the orris and a chocolatey patchouli note to give the floral heart a 'dusted-with-cocoa-powder feel'. The base is a rich and smooth blend of sandalwood, some lingering iris and jasmine, and the patchouli. An absolutely refined, ultra-smooth, ultra-rich smelling scent. It doesn't contain any of that synthetic plasticky quality that FdM has (I still love FdM though). It never becomes too indulgent though, throwing in some perfectly utilized odd notes to act as a counterpoint. There is a camphory coolness and a slightly bitter quality to the sandalwood and cedar that creates tension when juxtaposed with the floral heart.

Given your love of Fleur du Male and the fact that you aren't afraid to tread into scents that might be less traditionally masculine and far more floral than the norm, I think you might really like this scent. If nothing else, after having sampled the scent you'll know what a fine quality orris absolute smells like!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's not exactly a workhorse niche - more of a special occasion scent, but I think you should check out Amouage Reflection, too, given (again) your love for Fleur du Male. Reflection has a wonderful neroli note but it's not nearly so front and center as in FdM. Here it shares the stage with the most realistic orris absolute note (my g/f even noted how easy it was to pick up the smell of the orris absolute, which I've had her smell [the raw material] before, in the scent).

The iris stays throughout, lending a luminescent quality to the scent (someone once, aptly, recommended it in a thread asking for a scent that would best represent the smell of moonlight), along with some sweetness and powder. The orange blossom fades and is replaced by a beautiful jasmine note, which combines with the orris and a chocolatey patchouli note to give the floral heart a 'dusted-with-cocoa-powder feel'. The base is a rich and smooth blend of sandalwood, some lingering iris and jasmine, and the patchouli. An absolutely refined, ultra-smooth, ultra-rich smelling scent. It doesn't contain any of that synthetic plasticky quality that FdM has (I still love FdM though). It never becomes too indulgent though, throwing in some perfectly utilized odd notes to act as a counterpoint. There is a camphory coolness and a slightly bitter quality to the sandalwood and cedar that creates tension when juxtaposed with the floral heart.

Given your love of Fleur du Male and the fact that you aren't afraid to tread into scents that might be less traditionally masculine and far more floral than the norm, I think you might really like this scent. If nothing else, after having sampled the scent you'll know what a fine quality orris absolute smells like!
    Thanks for the tips Sculpture of Soul! You're right about me not caring about gender; I wear Chanel No. 5, too! I'm going to visit Aedes de Venustas on Wednesday and get my sniff on!
    Last edited by Spray; 28th February 2010 at 05:41 AM.

For a Non-Creed, Fille en Aiguilles has been getting a lot of play from me.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 28th February 2010 at 06:01 AM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

It's the one and only Rose 31, baby!

I just purchased a $3 sample of PdN New York from luckyscent.com. I can't wait to sniff it!

Thanks for helping me find this.
    The other suggestions will be added to my "must sniff" file. I will sniff them soon!
    Last edited by Spray; 28th February 2010 at 07:59 AM.

Although my reply comes a bit late, I consider the understated elegance of Opus 1870 by Penhaligons or Hugh Parsons yellow to be just perfect for daily wear

PdN New York smelled like lipstick and and face powder to me. I gave it to my mom. Next I'm going to try:

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain

Blog Entries

PdN New York smelled like lipstick and and face powder to me. I gave it to my mom. Next I'm going to try:

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    I just sprayed PdN NY on my wrist while I was reading this. I go the same impression, but I was thinking along the lines of, "It smells like an old lady." and I've never said that about any fragrance. I even wear Dior Homme very comfortably too. Now, Frederic Malle's "Musc Ravageur", I can see myself wearing fairly often, but probably not as a work horse. That'll be quite dangerous. I'm still testing though. Le Labo Rose 31 was just simply a rose garden, dirt and all. I can understand the concept, it's just not my thing. Acqua di Parma Colonia was a too light and too woody for my tastes, but Assoluta was a bit of a different beast with notes in the dry down that softens the edges. Oh JC Ellena, you've done it again.

I got into niche perfumes just last year and I think you should try Eau d'Italie-Paestum Rose.This is an excllent rose perfume.I love it.

I second mrclmind's suggestion to try Annick Goutal scents. I've got Les Nuits d'Hadrien and Eau du Sud which are amongst my go-to scents. Also try scents from Penhaligon's, Trumper, and Parfums d'Orsay.

You could try Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver. I find it to be good day and night any time of the year.

Try an get a sample if you can.
    Last edited by Kash; 6th March 2010 at 03:30 PM.

Most Montales.

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo would make a general daily, I think. Divine L'Homme Sage makes a good daily in cooler weather. Miller Harris L'Air de Rein in summer.

I also agree with many of the recommendations above - PdN New York, several Malles like French Lover, Angeliques sous La Pluie and Bigarade Concentree.

As other have said, there are countless niche fragrances that would make good daily workhorses, so this is really difficult.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th March 2010 at 06:40 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    As it should be, first analyze the situation. Scenting Your work means coworkers are around, customers, clients? Could they flee if necessary? Working white or blue color? My own experimentation led to the following scents in an office a) open window, literally b) informal: Floramye by L.T. Piver c) formal: English lavender by Yardley. All three are 'niche' as they are =far= out of the mainstream business. The impact of all three on my coworkers or clients noses is high. Lavender has been ennobled by Luca Turin again. It's austere but relaxing clarity boosts my and the customers mood towards sustainable compromises. The Floramye is just uplifting sweet and flowery, an Archaeopteryx of perfumery, kitsch, fun. I don't want the fragrance to impress, but my knowledge and handling of it will ever again make my roommates wonder, so or so.

Next I'm going to try:

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    They're both very nice. You might be able to really rock LDDM. But my guess is you'll go Chergui.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I just sprayed PdN NY on my wrist while I was reading this. I go the same impression, but I was thinking along the lines of, "It smells like an old lady." and I've never said that about any fragrance. I even wear Dior Homme very comfortably too. Now, Frederic Malle's "Musc Ravageur", I can see myself wearing fairly often, but probably not as a work horse. That'll be quite dangerous. I'm still testing though. Le Labo Rose 31 was just simply a rose garden, dirt and all. I can understand the concept, it's just not my thing. Acqua di Parma Colonia was a too light and too woody for my tastes, but Assoluta was a bit of a different beast with notes in the dry down that softens the edges. Oh JC Ellena, you've done it again.
    Rawk, how many rose heavy scents are you familiar with? I'm not questioning your thoughts, but Rose 31, the reason at least that I like it, is because it manages to keep the rose in the background, layering on top of it, so many masculine and sexy notes, that the rose really isn't the star player, which I prefer. I just find it odd that you get so much rose out of it, because if you continue to sample more niche ( or even select designers) most scents that claim to be rose scents are far heavier on rose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Rawk, how many rose heavy scents are you familiar with? I'm not questioning your thoughts, but Rose 31, the reason at least that I like it, is because it manages to keep the rose in the background, layering on top of it, so many masculine and sexy notes, that the rose really isn't the star player, which I prefer. I just find it odd that you get so much rose out of it, because if you continue to sample more niche ( or even select designers) most scents that claim to be rose scents are far heavier on rose.
    Oh, it's not super rose garden. I think that's a bad description. I get more of an earthy rose scent. This is actually the first rose based fragrance I've smelled, so pardon my inexperience with the rose note. I figured I would imagine that's how a rose garden smelled like. Fresh woods and roses....?

Edit: I just sprayed it on my arm. I think it'll take a few wearings to really understand it. I think that's going to be the case with most niche fragrances I'm going to try since a lot of them are out of the ordinary and my nose is trying to process what I'm smelling. It's starting to become woody, soapy, and a bit calming too. I definitely get a sexy vibe from Rose 31. So far so good, but as far as soapy scents, I dunno if it'll overtake Infusion d'Homme and Mugler Cologne as my modern favorites at the moment.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 6th March 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Wall Street by Bond No.9.....Vetiver Babylone from The Armani Prive Collection.....Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma
    Gary