Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Workhorse Niche (not creed)

I wear Rose 31 a LOT and in all kinds of weather (granted, in LA that's not a huge spectrum of temperatures).

For all the future viewers of this thread I've got to suggest a seldom mentioned floral suede and vetiver (I think) mix that's found in the wonderful Baladin by Patricia de Nicolai.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Profumum's Ichnusa is a green, clean scent that lasts a quite a while, and I can see working great in the summer, though I've only tried it in the winter. After a couple of hours it reminds me of Mugler Cologne.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is a really great niche perfume but I think could be a bit heavy for the summer, it has a dry quality that might make it annoying when it's hot out.

Divine L'Homme Sage is a workhorse for me, but I think Nicolai NY is a better fragrance.

Unisex niche, my workhorse frags are Chanel Eau de Cologne from the Exclusifs line, and Miller Harris Tangerine Vert.
    Last edited by Asha; 28th February 2010 at 03:51 AM.

Well Spray? What's caught your eye?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well Spray? What's caught your eye?
    I'm leaning towards PdN New York.
    Last edited by Spray; 6th March 2010 at 06:22 AM.

Xxxx
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    For all the future viewers of this thread I've got to suggest a seldom mentioned floral suede and vetiver (I think) mix that's found in the wonderful Baladin by Patricia de Nicolai.
    I just wore it, and reviewed it today. I love it a lot!!
    Last edited by mrclmind; 28th February 2010 at 05:20 AM.

It's not exactly a workhorse niche - more of a special occasion scent, but I think you should check out Amouage Reflection, too, given (again) your love for Fleur du Male. Reflection has a wonderful neroli note but it's not nearly so front and center as in FdM. Here it shares the stage with the most realistic orris absolute note (my g/f even noted how easy it was to pick up the smell of the orris absolute, which I've had her smell [the raw material] before, in the scent).

The iris stays throughout, lending a luminescent quality to the scent (someone once, aptly, recommended it in a thread asking for a scent that would best represent the smell of moonlight), along with some sweetness and powder. The orange blossom fades and is replaced by a beautiful jasmine note, which combines with the orris and a chocolatey patchouli note to give the floral heart a 'dusted-with-cocoa-powder feel'. The base is a rich and smooth blend of sandalwood, some lingering iris and jasmine, and the patchouli. An absolutely refined, ultra-smooth, ultra-rich smelling scent. It doesn't contain any of that synthetic plasticky quality that FdM has (I still love FdM though). It never becomes too indulgent though, throwing in some perfectly utilized odd notes to act as a counterpoint. There is a camphory coolness and a slightly bitter quality to the sandalwood and cedar that creates tension when juxtaposed with the floral heart.

Given your love of Fleur du Male and the fact that you aren't afraid to tread into scents that might be less traditionally masculine and far more floral than the norm, I think you might really like this scent. If nothing else, after having sampled the scent you'll know what a fine quality orris absolute smells like!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's not exactly a workhorse niche - more of a special occasion scent, but I think you should check out Amouage Reflection, too, given (again) your love for Fleur du Male. Reflection has a wonderful neroli note but it's not nearly so front and center as in FdM. Here it shares the stage with the most realistic orris absolute note (my g/f even noted how easy it was to pick up the smell of the orris absolute, which I've had her smell [the raw material] before, in the scent).

The iris stays throughout, lending a luminescent quality to the scent (someone once, aptly, recommended it in a thread asking for a scent that would best represent the smell of moonlight), along with some sweetness and powder. The orange blossom fades and is replaced by a beautiful jasmine note, which combines with the orris and a chocolatey patchouli note to give the floral heart a 'dusted-with-cocoa-powder feel'. The base is a rich and smooth blend of sandalwood, some lingering iris and jasmine, and the patchouli. An absolutely refined, ultra-smooth, ultra-rich smelling scent. It doesn't contain any of that synthetic plasticky quality that FdM has (I still love FdM though). It never becomes too indulgent though, throwing in some perfectly utilized odd notes to act as a counterpoint. There is a camphory coolness and a slightly bitter quality to the sandalwood and cedar that creates tension when juxtaposed with the floral heart.

Given your love of Fleur du Male and the fact that you aren't afraid to tread into scents that might be less traditionally masculine and far more floral than the norm, I think you might really like this scent. If nothing else, after having sampled the scent you'll know what a fine quality orris absolute smells like!
    Thanks for the tips Sculpture of Soul! You're right about me not caring about gender; I wear Chanel No. 5, too! I'm going to visit Aedes de Venustas on Wednesday and get my sniff on!
    Last edited by Spray; 28th February 2010 at 05:41 AM.

For a Non-Creed, Fille en Aiguilles has been getting a lot of play from me.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 28th February 2010 at 06:01 AM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

It's the one and only Rose 31, baby!

I just purchased a $3 sample of PdN New York from luckyscent.com. I can't wait to sniff it!

Thanks for helping me find this.
    The other suggestions will be added to my "must sniff" file. I will sniff them soon!
    Last edited by Spray; 28th February 2010 at 07:59 AM.

Although my reply comes a bit late, I consider the understated elegance of Opus 1870 by Penhaligons or Hugh Parsons yellow to be just perfect for daily wear

PdN New York smelled like lipstick and and face powder to me. I gave it to my mom. Next I'm going to try:

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    PdN New York smelled like lipstick and and face powder to me. I gave it to my mom. Next I'm going to try:

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    I just sprayed PdN NY on my wrist while I was reading this. I go the same impression, but I was thinking along the lines of, "It smells like an old lady." and I've never said that about any fragrance. I even wear Dior Homme very comfortably too. Now, Frederic Malle's "Musc Ravageur", I can see myself wearing fairly often, but probably not as a work horse. That'll be quite dangerous. I'm still testing though. Le Labo Rose 31 was just simply a rose garden, dirt and all. I can understand the concept, it's just not my thing. Acqua di Parma Colonia was a too light and too woody for my tastes, but Assoluta was a bit of a different beast with notes in the dry down that softens the edges. Oh JC Ellena, you've done it again.

I got into niche perfumes just last year and I think you should try Eau d'Italie-Paestum Rose.This is an excllent rose perfume.I love it.

I second mrclmind's suggestion to try Annick Goutal scents. I've got Les Nuits d'Hadrien and Eau du Sud which are amongst my go-to scents. Also try scents from Penhaligon's, Trumper, and Parfums d'Orsay.

You could try Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver. I find it to be good day and night any time of the year.

Try an get a sample if you can.
    Last edited by Kash; 6th March 2010 at 03:30 PM.

Most Montales.

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo would make a general daily, I think. Divine L'Homme Sage makes a good daily in cooler weather. Miller Harris L'Air de Rein in summer.

I also agree with many of the recommendations above - PdN New York, several Malles like French Lover, Angeliques sous La Pluie and Bigarade Concentree.

As other have said, there are countless niche fragrances that would make good daily workhorses, so this is really difficult.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th March 2010 at 06:40 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    As it should be, first analyze the situation. Scenting Your work means coworkers are around, customers, clients? Could they flee if necessary? Working white or blue color? My own experimentation led to the following scents in an office a) open window, literally b) informal: Floramye by L.T. Piver c) formal: English lavender by Yardley. All three are 'niche' as they are =far= out of the mainstream business. The impact of all three on my coworkers or clients noses is high. Lavender has been ennobled by Luca Turin again. It's austere but relaxing clarity boosts my and the customers mood towards sustainable compromises. The Floramye is just uplifting sweet and flowery, an Archaeopteryx of perfumery, kitsch, fun. I don't want the fragrance to impress, but my knowledge and handling of it will ever again make my roommates wonder, so or so.

Next I'm going to try:

Chergui
    L'air du Desert Marocain
    They're both very nice. You might be able to really rock LDDM. But my guess is you'll go Chergui.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I just sprayed PdN NY on my wrist while I was reading this. I go the same impression, but I was thinking along the lines of, "It smells like an old lady." and I've never said that about any fragrance. I even wear Dior Homme very comfortably too. Now, Frederic Malle's "Musc Ravageur", I can see myself wearing fairly often, but probably not as a work horse. That'll be quite dangerous. I'm still testing though. Le Labo Rose 31 was just simply a rose garden, dirt and all. I can understand the concept, it's just not my thing. Acqua di Parma Colonia was a too light and too woody for my tastes, but Assoluta was a bit of a different beast with notes in the dry down that softens the edges. Oh JC Ellena, you've done it again.
    Rawk, how many rose heavy scents are you familiar with? I'm not questioning your thoughts, but Rose 31, the reason at least that I like it, is because it manages to keep the rose in the background, layering on top of it, so many masculine and sexy notes, that the rose really isn't the star player, which I prefer. I just find it odd that you get so much rose out of it, because if you continue to sample more niche ( or even select designers) most scents that claim to be rose scents are far heavier on rose.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Rawk, how many rose heavy scents are you familiar with? I'm not questioning your thoughts, but Rose 31, the reason at least that I like it, is because it manages to keep the rose in the background, layering on top of it, so many masculine and sexy notes, that the rose really isn't the star player, which I prefer. I just find it odd that you get so much rose out of it, because if you continue to sample more niche ( or even select designers) most scents that claim to be rose scents are far heavier on rose.
    Oh, it's not super rose garden. I think that's a bad description. I get more of an earthy rose scent. This is actually the first rose based fragrance I've smelled, so pardon my inexperience with the rose note. I figured I would imagine that's how a rose garden smelled like. Fresh woods and roses....?

Edit: I just sprayed it on my arm. I think it'll take a few wearings to really understand it. I think that's going to be the case with most niche fragrances I'm going to try since a lot of them are out of the ordinary and my nose is trying to process what I'm smelling. It's starting to become woody, soapy, and a bit calming too. I definitely get a sexy vibe from Rose 31. So far so good, but as far as soapy scents, I dunno if it'll overtake Infusion d'Homme and Mugler Cologne as my modern favorites at the moment.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 6th March 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Wall Street by Bond No.9.....Vetiver Babylone from The Armani Prive Collection.....Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma
    Gary