Code of Conduct

Default Your opinion required - D&G Sicily

There are very controversial opinions about this fragrance both here and e.g. on MUA. Blessed up to heaven on one hand compared to yuck on the other hand. I am confused.

Default Re: Your opinion required - D&G Sicily

It is one of those polarizing scents, isn't it?
    I love it.
    Now to add confusion, I hate "soapy" scents, and people who do not like this one often call it "soapy." I can't explain it. It just works for me.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 4th March 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

My friend who works for D&G told me when this was released it was meant to be the perfume equivalent of lingerie- clean and soft, staying close to the skin. I adore it, went through a 100ml bottle 2 summers ago. Its quite soapy but there is a powdery/aldehydic vibe that keeps it elegant as well. I can sometimes smell it on others and it makes me think I could wear it again. Lovely!
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I didn't like Sicily on me, too 'dense' and lemony/soapy. One day I complimented someone I knew on their gorgeous perfume and it was Sicily. It was so much better on her!

It is soapy for sure.....this is one I like.....Gary

Basenotes Plus

I just got a sample of Sicily and my first impression is that I need to wait until warmer weather to have a second impression.

Blog Entries

I personally love it!

Very elegant, clean and in some ways soapy and aldehydic. I find it very unique and pleasant due to the intriguing banana leaf note.

Hillaire

This is one of my favorite nineties scents, and the only one I have ever liked from D & G. It's also an enigma for me, why I like it; it's both really sweet without a complex base and super bananic. Yet, on my skin, it's oh so sultry and warm. And whenever I wear it, people tell me I smell great.

Get Chanel 5, it's the best soapy one, still.

from my point of view, Sicily is not worth the money... briny water saturated with soap gone bad and some putrid banana peels. Very icky.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 28th February 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

I like it but not enough to buy it - there are so many fumes out there I like much better! That said, I find it a lightly spicy, somewhat warm scent with a soapy feel to it. Would suit any weather and nearly any occasion. "Like" but not "love".

Having spotted your thread, I dug my old Sicily sample vial out. I've been ambivalent about it for as long as I can remember.

Today, however, it smells beautiful on me: yes, soapy and floral, but very richly so, with a distinct honey note. Having had it on my skin for about 4 hours now, I'd even say it was weirdly chypre-y at the base, which is very agreeable.

There have been days when this has smelled less than great on me, but today it is utterly lovely. And, of course, now it has been discontinued (to the best of my knowledge).
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/