Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Perfume choice: Does it really say anything?

I think my choices say that I probably think too much about fragrance and overanalyse what my scent will "say". I suspect that it usually says "nothing" to those around me as they havent got the perfume fee-vah!
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

Un profumo affettuoso

My perfume choices certainly won't tell anybody about the music I love, my political beliefs or my favourite writers, nor will you be able to deduce from my wardrobe where I work, whether I'm married or not, whether I prefer football over tennis etc. -
    My perfume might tell you about the mood I'm in, about my amount of "audacity" and my level of "daringness".
    I'm not shy, very communicative, a typical extrovert... - and I'm sure that's the olfactory message I'm sending out (most of the time, at least). From my choice of perfumes you wouldn't know that I adore Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Chopin and Mahler (to name just a few) or that I'm fascinated by Comtemporary Arts&Literature. Honestly, if my wearing Mitsouko today would give away soooo much about me- I would STOP wearing perfume. Perfume would - if it had the power of disclosing that much about ourselves and our predelictions and beliefs - be an ideal APP for GOGGLE etc. - nearly as good as the planned "face recognotion tool." I think the charm of wearing perfume lies in the fact that the scent itself - together with its wearer - always harbours a mystery...

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

My Briggs score: INTP. Moderately introverted (33%) but highly intuitive (50%).

I favor the subtle over the loud, the smooth over the rough, the soft over the harsh, deeply complex over linear simplicity. Perhaps that's why I have very few issues with sillage but frown at uber-masculine powerhouse frags of the '80s. A look at my wardrobe seems to bear testimony:

Essencia Loewe
    Mitsouko
    Heritage
    Shalimar
    Cuir de Russie
    No.19
    Serge Noire
    Arpege pour Homme
    5 O' Clock Au Gingembre
    etc.

My preferred genres: floral/leather chypres, orientals.

I think of perfumistas and gourmets the same way - they will probably enjoy anything you put in front of them as long as it's finely crafted using wonderful ingredients. My wardrobe (and appetite) is very diverse - what I choose from moment to moment depends more on my mood than anything else. And I think the fact that we love to surround ourselves with beautiful fragrance is simply an indication that we are sensualists - we love to smell good.

However, I suppose if my fragrance wardrobe could talk, it might tell you that I tend to prefer old things to new (some might say "stuck in the 80s"), I'm very open-minded, and I'm not at all label-conscious. (Well, it might also tell you that I like pretty bottles and I can be a bit of an emotional hoarder, but that doesn't have anything to do with what types of fragrances I choose.)

I wonder if this thread says more about fragrance fans on the whole and less about us as individuals. I'm not really seeing a repeated link between fragrance tastes and personality types, but on the whole I'm seeing a strong lean towards introverts and artistic types.

I'm an ESFP (note to self: Extraversion, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving)... Gonna check what that means, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    I'm an ESFP (note to self: Extraversion, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving)... Gonna check what that means, though!
    We're exact opposites! I'm INTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    We're exact opposites! I'm INTJ.
    LOL... You're cool, though!

Again, thanks to everyone who is responding, and I'm hoping more will contribute.

At this point I do think assumptions can be made about one's perfume preferences and possible character traits. Along the same lines, can we make assumptions about people who prefer Bach over Ozzy Osborn? Red over Blue? Clean, crisp lines over patterns? Touching versus seeing? Wine over beer? These things have been analyzed to death, it seems, but I still haven't found a good scientific test of a preference for Iris over Geranium, patchouli over vetiver, etc. That won't happen in this thread, obviously, but i"m enjoying the intellectual discussion this is generating.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

I like this thread because it's fun to learn more about all of you! I have heard our friend Odysseusm comment that exploring fragrance helps us learn more about ourselves. I have to admit that I didn't really see this, at first, but now I think he has a point! Fragrance exploration has, if nothing else, reinforced what I already knew or suspected about myself.

Things About Me:

• ENTJ, with a drift toward INTJ as I get older
    • Libra, with the typical love for beauty, balance, logic, and fairness
    • Generally happy, even-tempered and positive; avoid negative people, clutter, and noise
    • Can be lazy, selfish, a little insensitive, bossy, and quite indecisive
    • Have no religious affiliation, but possess an interest in many things spiritual
    • Political views strongly emphasize personal freedom and personal responsibility
    • Oriented toward the future; interested in the natural world, language, and the arts

My Fragrance Preferences:

• Strongly value balance and harmony of composition (not a surprise, huh?)
    • Prefer subtlety and transparency to the Big Bad Sillage Monster
    • Prefer complexity to a one-note focus (with a few exceptions), but tolerate linear style
    • Generally prefer a natural/relaxed "feel" (as compared to formal/controlled)
    • Prefer a modern vibe and love innovation, but appreciate selected gems from the past
    • Very open to learning more and expanding my repertoire
    Last edited by Haunani; 2nd March 2010 at 01:05 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Haunani, it seems like you were describing ME. Also a beauty-loving Libra here.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Haunani, it seems like you were describing ME. Also a beauty-loving Libra here.
    I thought you might be! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    My personality is ENTJ.

I love and wear many perfumes from "monstrous florals" like Carnal Flower and "powerhouse masculines" like Aramis Havana to "sheer florals" like Olivia Giacobetti's En Passant and "aquatics" like Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme.
    Really a perfume intrigues me most when it is well-constructed and feels like it has something to say to me.
    I'd guess the E part of me is what allows me to wear whatever I like no matter what it is marketed as, but I'd like to think that has more to do with my comfort level after living so long.
    My enthusiasm for sampling probably has much to do with the J part as that might have a lot to do with why I write reviews.
    In many ways I think it is difficult to pigeonhole many of us based on a list of questions but it never hurts to see if there are similarities based on that pigeonholing.
    Well said

I come out as INTJ usually, though last time I took the test it flipped me over to ENTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I wonder if this thread says more about fragrance fans on the whole and less about us as individuals. I'm not really seeing a repeated link between fragrance tastes and personality types, but on the whole I'm seeing a strong lean towards introverts and artistic types.
    Yeah, that seems to be the way - we're not representative of 'normal' population. That David Pybus study was also only narrowly targeted to one group of people. Maybe I should do my final dissertation on this topic and conduct a wider study.

To the OP: I know it's just a bit of fun and that's cool. It's just that there are enough of us geeks here to start thinking beyond that and be frustrated by just anecdotal evidence and lack of proper data.

Nukapai- farther below I said that an answer won't be solved in this thread, but is more of a discussion, which is fun to read and gives us a chance to learn more about each other. Also, in my 'real job', I analyze over $3 billion in global sales data so yes, I am very aware of a need for a proper sample size before making conclusions. I wonder how many of the geeks would be interested in putting a project together? I have the database skills! It's probably too cumbersome to be realistic, though
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Noooooo, don't say that, BayKAT! How cool would it be if we actually conducted an actual study? We have international members who probably wouldn't mind setting up interviews and collating results...

I can't talk about myself, it makes me uncomfortable. But perhaps my favorite fragrances can tell something about me:
    Fumerie Turque, Douce Amere, Narcisse Noir, L'Heure Bleue, Iris Poudre, Parfum de Therese, Femme de Rochas, Une Fleur de Cassie, Un Lys, Bandit, Mure et Musc, MPG Jasmin.