Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Has Marc stopped doing reviews on YouTube?

If this is true I am shocked! He had the best reviews / info and a great video personality too - I'm shocked if this is true!

Default Re: Has Marc stopped doing reviews on YouTube?

Check his blog for more info

yes he will be doing more reviews
    hes overseas for work he will return in april
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Marc told Tim that he's done doing reviews. Marc said he works hard but doesn't feel appreciated. He'll be back in Canada in April. I don't think he's sure about quitting the game, though.

For those of you that don't know them, they both do fragrance reviews on YouTube.

Marc http://www.youtube.com/user/robes08
    Tim http://www.youtube.com/user/tswetcoff
    Last edited by Spray; 24th February 2010 at 02:36 AM.

Yeah at first he said he wasn't, but at the end of that one blog

"...as youtube goes I stand by my decision but I will fully take my time and decide for myself if it is for me to return to the tube once I am home in April.."

So I guess he may come back. We shall hope he does

hes JUST MIGHT BE coming back bro. with a bang! just expect a really nice video in April! Its going to be a collosal (MAYBE) return!!!
    i will be in it :P
    check out my vids
    Last edited by thierry mugler; 24th February 2010 at 03:01 AM.
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

I was planning to leave but i believe over 100 personal messages on my youtube account told me I should reconsider
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Good efforts. Your reviews would be more effective if they were more succinct. I find that amongst the quality commentary there is a lot repetition or retread (for example a decription is made and then exhausted a few times throughout the review.) There is also too much dead or what is regarded on my circle of album review friends as "ummm" moments. I enjoy the fact you do a small piece on the packaging of the scent. You provide a really good approachable and comprehensible review style but step outside the box a little. I've seen glimpses of your sense of humour and coy attitude. Don't hold it back, bring more attitude to the table, extend your palate of descriptions, paint vivid pictures. In my opinion, these aspects along with your passion for reviewing will make your youtube segments that much better. Keep in mind, this is one opinion. I find that constructive feedback has lead to the most positive change in my own writing endeavors, so out of the respect - I offer you the same.

Kim

Blog Entries

Okay, who's here on Basenotes that's from our little YouTube clique besides Marc (L"Homme/robes08), Tyler (BINGO/FragranceJunkie), Jonathan (Thierry Mugler/JRWRITER), Young Dro (gunloc), and Julio (forgot his name here/NYFragranceBlog)? I know Brandon (CutlassSupremeSL) lurks around here too, but I don't think I've ever seen him post. Tim doesn't post here either, but he's quite aware of Basenotes. I know Cubby (cformosa4) used to pop in once in a blue moon, but he hasn't really done many videos since he moved back in 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Okay, who's here on Basenotes that's from our little YouTube clique besides Marc (L"Homme/robes08), Tyler (BINGO/FragranceJunkie), Jonathan (Thierry Mugler/JRWRITER), Young Dro (gunloc), and Julio (forgot his name here/NYFragranceBlog)? I know Brandon (CutlassSupremeSL) lurks around here too, but I don't think I've ever seen him post. Tim doesn't post here either, but he's quite aware of Basenotes. I know Cubby (cformosa4) used to pop in once in a blue moon, but he hasn't really done many videos since he moved back in 08.
    I wasn't even aware of all of those. But some of those listed don't seem to have any reviews up?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I wasn't even aware of all of those. But some of those listed don't seem to have any reviews up?
    Young Dro only comments on other peoples' videos often. LOL. Tyler is planning to post more videos. So far he's got a preview video of his wardrobe. I know that guy loves Musc Ravangeur though and that's one Frederic Malle I'm interested in (besides Outrageous! and French Lover). Hope he reviews that one eventually. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny82 View Post
    Good efforts. Your reviews would be more effective if they were more succinct. I find that amongst the quality commentary there is a lot repetition or retread (for example a decription is made and then exhausted a few times throughout the review.) There is also too much dead or what is regarded on my circle of album review friends as "ummm" moments. I enjoy the fact you do a small piece on the packaging of the scent. You provide a really good approachable and comprehensible review style but step outside the box a little. I've seen glimpses of your sense of humour and coy attitude. Don't hold it back, bring more attitude to the table, extend your palate of descriptions, paint vivid pictures. In my opinion, these aspects along with your passion for reviewing will make your youtube segments that much better. Keep in mind, this is one opinion. I find that constructive feedback has lead to the most positive change in my own writing endeavors, so out of the respect - I offer you the same.

Kim
    What these reviews offer in 6 or so minutes of watching, could be summarized in a write up that takes 30 seconds to read. I don't value them.

Young Dro only comments on other peoples' videos often. LOL. Tyler is planning to post more videos. So far he's got a preview video of his wardrobe. I know that guy loves Musc Ravangeur though and that's one Frederic Malle I'm interested in (besides Outrageous! and French Lover). Hope he reviews that one eventually. Haha.
    Oh I know Tyler, I wasn't aware of the last couple. Yea Musc Ravageur is really amazing stuff, super sexy.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    What these reviews offer in 6 or so minutes of watching, could be summarized in a write up that takes 30 seconds to read. I don't value them.
    I value them more because reviews on Youtube coming from someone seeing their face makes the review more special because you get more of a feeling how the reviewer is feeling about the fragrance with emotions and it genuinely helps me more on deciding whether or not to buy the fragrance.

Hey, thats not bad right? lol

Hey guys, Julio here. I'm certainly trying to do my fair share of Niche fragrances. I think Marc will probably keep doing it since he's so passionate about fragrances in general. Do let me know if you ever have any requests for reviews!
    Please visit my videos! NY Fragrance Blog:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYFragranceBlog

Quote Originally Posted by L"homme View Post
    I was planning to leave but i believe over 100 personal messages on my youtube account told me I should reconsider
    You're my favorite reviewer because you break it down. I love the ratings you do with the bottle and "why would you hate/love this fragrance". Just do the reviews at your own pace. Tim is great, too, like Mozart churning out hits all the time. You're like Beethoven not as many, but high quality every time.

If it ever feels like a job, slow down. Only do a vid when you feel the passion.

Keep up the good work, Marc! You're my favorite!

(I got Le Male's little sister and I love it)

any women reviewing perfume on U tube?
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post
    Yes! My friend Teresa has a channel. Although, she's commenting mostly on the male side of things:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ariscotm

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post
    Katie Puckrick is a witty cutie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KatiePuckrikSmells

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Katie Puckrick is a witty cutie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KatiePuckrikSmells
    People dont like these long reviews of 8-9 minutes, but to be honest with you,

I dont like those 1 min reviews either, and I dont really understand her ''wittyness''

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    People dont like these long reviews of 8-9 minutes, but to be honest with you,

I dont like those 1 min reviews either, and I dont really understand her ''wittyness''
    Katie's not bad. It's just her jokes are very tongue-in-cheek. Some people like it, some people don't.

Katie's not bad. It's just her jokes are very tongue-in-cheek. Some people like it, some people don't.
    I like her face.

Maybe not bad, but she only says how it smells in a witty-tounge-in-cheek way, which to me isnt amusing at all, but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I like her face.
    lol...

I prefer Katie's written reviews (at katiepuckriksmells.com) to her video ones, which, while funny, can be a little obtuse. I can't stand Tim and Mark's reviews - Tim seems like too much of a trend-whore, Mark's on-camera demeanor is dull, and both love to spend the first 2-3 minutes of their reviews babbling on about unrelated nonsense. I don't care which latest Mugler flankers you got in the mail, Mark, just tell me about Body Kouros! At least Katie gets down to business right out of the gate. Also, Tim needs to shoot in daylight, with the shades open - most of his videos look like they were made with the lighting crew from the X-Files.

And anyone reviewing anything of any sort on YouTube needs to SHUT THE DAMN BACKGROUND MUSIC OFF. No one's impressed with your music taste. (Play some Sneaker Pimps or Debussy piano selections and then we can talk.)

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    I prefer Katie's written reviews (at katiepuckriksmells.com) to her video ones, which, while funny, can be a little obtuse. I can't stand Tim and Mark's reviews - Tim seems like too much of a trend-whore, Mark's on-camera demeanor is dull, and both love to spend the first 2-3 minutes of their reviews babbling on about unrelated nonsense. I don't care which latest Mugler flankers you got in the mail, Mark, just tell me about Body Kouros! At least Katie gets down to business right out of the gate. Also, Tim needs to shoot in daylight, with the shades open - most of his videos look like they were made with the lighting crew from the X-Files.

And anyone reviewing anything of any sort on YouTube needs to SHUT THE DAMN BACKGROUND MUSIC OFF. No one's impressed with your music taste. (Play some Sneaker Pimps or Debussy piano selections and then we can talk.)
    This dude officially is a hater

You BNers can say stuff to me all you want, I dont care

First off, Katie gets down to business? lol what business, her videos are a minute and 30 seconds for chirst sake all she talks about is some nonsense weird joke related to the perfume, that probably half of her subscribers dont understand,

As for Marc and Tim, they actually started this whole trend, i mean which nonsense to they talk about? a new frag in the mail? so what, is that such a big problem?

As for the light in Tim, I dont see how it is bad in any way, like they need to have professional studio lightning in ordere to do a review

And the music, well I dont mind it, except if its tuned up all the way

I dont wanna sound like a ''fan'' or ''gangster'' or ''rude boy'' on here, but thats probably what a lot of people might think of a comment like this, I just cant stand people who complain about the stupidest of things, while people actually take their time and effort to post a video like that to provide their thoughts for people who might just started out this fragrance thing
    Last edited by Young Dro; 25th February 2010 at 07:13 AM.

When you decide to jump into youtube you better be ready to face the music because you are going to get it. I think Mark and Tim are not doing any bad, if you do not like it dont watch it that simple. There is a narcissistic component in all people going youtube which does not bother me at all but I can tell that it does bother some people.
    I have noticed that there is a life cycle in youtube that goes from novelty at the very beginning and people reacts benevolent then the broadcaster gets confident and tends to go over the fence; by then the volume of subscribers is larger and some criticism rises. All the sudden a new formula or format must be found to keep the subscribers attention but in my humble opinion less is more. Is it worth all the effort? Am I getting anything back? Why people does not appreciate me? Why the world is full of dickheads? then reviewing becomes like working, not fun anymore.

Tim and Mark are fun , I do not watch all their videos just the ones that involve fragrances that interests me. They both have different personalities and set different moods.

This is still a board, right?
    so everyone is entitled to their valuable opinion, why classify as hater or whatever? subhuman85 gave perfect reason why he doesnt particularly care for the youtube kind of reviewing.
    Neither do I, really. I can take much more from written, original and spot on reviews here on BN in our databank and I truly believe put a few of our best writers together and they creative a "perfume Guide or classification" the one by LC and TS would pale against.
    I'm sorry, but I gave it a fair shot, it's just definitely not for me.

And for the record, when I got into this hobby a couple of years back, the "googleresult" regarding frags that blew me away with sheer information was BN but definitely not youtube anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    This is still a board, right?
    so everyone is entitled to their valuable opinion, why classify as hater or whatever? subhuman85 gave perfect reason why he doesnt particularly care for the youtube kind of reviewing.
    Neither do I, really. I can take much more from written, original and spot on reviews here on BN in our databank and I truly believe put a few of our best writers together and they creative a "perfume Guide or classification" the one by LC and TS would pale against.
    I'm sorry, but I gave it a fair shot, it's just definitely not for me.

And for the record, when I got into this hobby a couple of years back, the "googleresult" regarding frags that blew me away with sheer information was BN but definitely not youtube anyways.
    Whatever man

Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro
    First off, Katie gets down to business? lol what business, her videos are a minute and 30 seconds for chirst sake all she talks about is some nonsense weird joke related to the perfume, that probably half of her subscribers dont understand
    Like I said, I prefer her written reviews, but her more recent videos are better - she talks at greater length about the fragrance under review and offers a clearer picture of her opinion, rather than just a zippy quip or two.

i mean which nonsense to they talk about? a new frag in the mail? so what, is that such a big problem?
    It is when they spend a big chunk of their video doing it before actually reviewing the fragrance. It gets tiresome, and more importantly, it's irrelevant to the actual review. Perhaps Mark's longtime subscribers are interested in his latest "hauls" (another YouTube review trend I don't understand - hooray, you went on a shopping spree, get back to me when you're actually reviewing the products you bought), or whatever else he feels like discussing that's unrelated to the fragrance, but new viewers like myself will probably be put off having to wait 2-3 minutes to get to an actual review.

I just cant stand people who complain about the stupidest of things, while people actually take their time and effort to post a video like that to provide their thoughts for people who might just started out this fragrance thing
    I "just started out in this fragrance thing", so I'm part of Mark's and Tim's target audiences, and I don't find their reviews as useful as those on sites like BN, NowSmellThis, or even MakeupAlley. That's my opinion, as a viewer, and I gave solid reasons for my opinion above. If I had nitpicked about the colors of Mark's T-shirts or the poster on Tim's bedroom wall, then yes, I'd be complaining about "the stupidest of things".

And like Basteri said, if people are willing to post videos of themselves for all the world to see, and do so in a successive fashion with the intention of reeling in regular viewers, they'd better be ready for this kind of criticism. I don't think Tim and Mark are awful people who should stop doing what they do, I just don't have any use for their reviews.

This dude officially is a hater
    No, this dude has officially graduated middle school, where insults like "hater" are no longer relevant. Grow up, you're among adults now.

When you decide to jump into youtube you better be ready to face the music because you are going to get it. I think Mark and Tim are not doing any bad, if you do not like it dont watch it that simple. There is a narcissistic component in all people going youtube which does not bother me at all but I can tell that it does bother some people.
    I have noticed that there is a life cycle in youtube that goes from novelty at the very beginning and people reacts benevolent then the broadcaster gets confident and tends to go over the fence; by then the volume of subscribers is larger and some criticism rises. All the sudden a new formula or format must be found to keep the subscribers attention but in my humble opinion less is more. Is it worth all the effort? Am I getting anything back? Why people does not appreciate me? Why the world is full of dickheads? then reviewing becomes like working, not fun anymore.

Tim and Mark are fun , I do not watch all their videos just the ones that involve fragrances that interests me. They both have different personalities and set different moods.

good debate. There is a lack of video reviews on fragrances, as youtube is concerned we (i mean all reviewers on youtube, probably hit 2% of the frags out there) if there was a bigger database perhaps it would help but as far as which is better video or written. I know basenotes has it's loyal written reviewers that have reviewed over a number of years (100's maybe 1000's of bottles) and that cannot compare to the videos on youtube.

I love both of them (video and written), some are amazing at describing a scent on basenotes that I actually look for them in the written reviews once I am looking at a new bottle (sometimes I wish there would be a video). Some people enjoy sitting down and read a good book, others love to go out to watch a movie. None are wrong , it's just to each it's own. Personally I love reading a good book ( reading good reviews) and watch a blockbuster movie (a good video) .

I can see why basenotes isn't in love with my videos, first I don't really tackle the fragrances that basenotes enjoy, second there is a huge database of written reviews and i'm sure most members have a reviewer that they have followed for years. And I'm obviously dull to listen to

Marc, first of all, I really hope you're not taking offense by the neutral to negative feedback reagrding your work. There are obviously lots of people who benefit from your effort and tremendously enjoy it. As you said yourslef its not for everybody to like and I tried to state my opinion and give reason for it

I love hearing different reviews of fragrances. Each reviewer has their own taste, personality, and style. Viva la difference!

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post

It is when they spend a big chunk of their video doing it before actually reviewing the fragrance. It gets tiresome, and more importantly, it's irrelevant to the actual review. Perhaps Mark's longtime subscribers are interested in his latest "hauls" (another YouTube review trend I don't understand - hooray, you went on a shopping spree, get back to me when you're actually reviewing the products you bought), or whatever else he feels like discussing that's unrelated to the fragrance, but new viewers like myself will probably be put off having to wait 2-3 minutes to get to an actual review.
    I am guessing you viewed my first 5-6 video's where I used to show my hauls and do subjects unrelated to the review in the first few minutes because I was new and did not really know what I was doing as far as videos are concerned. In my most recent videos , my hauls are seperate videos now from the actual reviews since I know not everyone wants to see them ( some people are interested in these things just like basenotes there is a what's your recent purchase thread every month) .

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Marc, first of all, I really hope you're not taking offense by the neutral to negative feedback reagrding your work. There are obviously lots of people who benefit from your effort and tremendously enjoy it. As you said yourslef its not for everybody to like and I tried to state my opinion and give reason for it
    No No I love to discuss this, I don't take offence to anything said.

Blog Entries

Debates like these only take a turn for the worse if they turn into personal attacks. Can't please everyone, but at least be tactful and not bash someone personally, even if you don't agree on either side of the coin.

Marc you are not dull to listen and there is not such a things as too many reviews. Basenotes reviews are good so are yours just different format. As for reviewing for the most part designers fragrances I think is a good strategy from your part if your subscribers cannot find or buy the fragrances it does not have the same effect. I think reviewing a niche fragrance once in a while is nice to open some eyes.

Basenotes Plus

First off I have to admire YouTube reviewers for their guts to face the camera and rattle on about stuff. But I have to agree with Snowbunny82 and scentsitivity - there's plenty of room to keep these reviews away from 'rambling'. Many review writers edit their written reviews to make them more comprehensible, so the least I expect from a YouTube reviewer is 'watchability'. YouTube reviewers don't have to look fantastic but they do need to work on that 'screen presence' and 'oral presentation skills', let some of their personality shine through and focus on the fragrance. If they can present the way Nigella Lawson emote over her cooking, and keep each review no longer than 2 minutes, I'd probably be a loyal subscriber too... But I'd probably tolerate longer reviews if she's smokin' hot...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 25th February 2010 at 04:19 PM.

I personally dig the Youtube reviews more than Basenotes. I like watching the progression each reviewer makes throughout all of their reviews. I like watching their taste change as they continue to sniff. The Youtube reviewers speak more to folks in my age range and lifestyle setting. I'm all for more reviewers getting in the game also so long as they are in it because they love fragrance and not just because they are trying to jump on the new trend. To me there are about 3-4 reviewers on each site that I check for and respect their opinions. To each their own but I'm a visual person.

One of the reasons I got into reviewing was because of the usefulness of Marc's reviews. I think you can get a clear idea about something through the reviews here on Basenotes, but when you see someone who spends a lot of time producing videos and researching their craft, it changes my perspective on a fragrance completely.

For me, their videos are more for entertainment than some professional reviews. Simply because they do it for fun, and are not professional reviewers. I LIKE that they talk about what fragrances they recently purchased and things of the sort. Small things like that make it feel more personal and laid back. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by a review yet because he always does a good job on how he feels about the fragrance. Yes, it is muddled by other things at times but to me that doesn't really get in the way because he always puts those things in the beginning before the review.

Please stick to the topic and don't derail the thread with personal attacks or trolling. And try to be constructive on your criticism, no need to get very personal.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    For me, their videos are more for entertainment than some professional reviews. Simply because they do it for fun, and are not professional reviewers. I LIKE that they talk about what fragrances they recently purchased and things of the sort. Small things like that make it feel more personal and laid back. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by a review yet because he always does a good job on how he feels about the fragrance. Yes, it is muddled by other things at times but to me that doesn't really get in the way because he always puts those things in the beginning before the review.
    I must concede to this rather excellent point about one of its advantages - relaxed atmosphere, and the lack of formality.

hey marc i have found your reviews very helpful and blind bought the following bottles because of them:

boss bottled
    one million
    pure malt
    pure coffee
    prada infusion

all of which to me were fantasic. looking forward to any bond no 9 reviews you might do when you return.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor King View Post
    hey marc i have found your reviews very helpful and blind bought the following bottles because of them:

boss bottled
    one million
    pure malt
    pure coffee
    prada infusion

all of which to me were fantasic. looking forward to any bond no 9 reviews you might do when you return.
    Great stuff I love hearing things like that and I am happy you enjoyed every single one of them. I will be reviewing Brooklyn once I am back from Bond no 9 and will be giving my initial thoughts on my newest summer fragrance from them Fire Island.

Dependent

2 cents or less: I suspect Marc's videos has exposed Basenotes to a wider section of internet users. I can see more good in his uploading of video reviews, than any bad - that if you considered so, well, "Don't like, don't watch again".

Is it safe to say that these youtube reviewers are pioneers at what they are doing? They did not exactly have a sinsei to guide them in the art of video-reviewing. If this format of reviewing truly becomes an important/consumer-essential platform for reviews to be done in the future (just as how important online written reviews on blogs, BN directory etc is now) then many will be glad these guys started/went through with it.

Now obviously one can can gather much more information and search/filter more easily through written reviews, in a much shorter time. That is just how it is, as current technology allows. I stick to written reviews most of the time, purely because of the efficiency/time saved. I occasionally watch the youtube reviews because it does feel a little more interactive to me at least, and it is genuinely nice to see how some people are doing. Do we tend to compare 1-2 video reviewers to the entire internet source of written reviews available? Maybe.

That being said, I think it is given, that anyone who puts anything up on youtube, should be ready for compliments and criticisms, or the lack of any. It just comes with the territory.

Oh well..... I haven't watched a video review in months, I will go and see some of yours now, Marc.
    Last edited by MFJ; 25th February 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Marc, I also agree with this. I first found your videos on Youtube then this forum. In fact this is my first post. You have been responsible for at least 10 bottles in my collection. Please keep up the good work. I find the videos a great way to put together a list of things to look for when shopping.

boss bottled
    one million
    pure malt
    pure coffee
    prada infusion

boss bottled
    one million
    pure malt
    pure coffee
    prada infusion

Yeah I bought Pure Malt as well! I also tried Boss Bottled because of the review and LOVE it. The same goes for Prada's Infusion D'Homme. I still haven't seen One Million around so I haven't tried that yet

Blog Entries

It's thanks to some of these people, I had got the guts to ramble on YouTube about fragrances from time to time. I'm just a regular guy. Even though I've been here on Basenotes for 2 1/2 years, I'm still a regular guy who just happened to smell a lot of stuff. Most of the time, I don't know what in the world I'm talking about, but it's fun to interact with other YouTube people who are in the same boat, and meet new friends. I'm not going to output the same volume of videos as a good number of the people who have a steady stream of subscribers, so I'll occasionally come out of a rock, throw in my 2 cents, throw in my favorite instrumental in the background in the process, along with my dorky annotations throughout the video because I tend to forget what I needed to say at the original recording. I just treat each video as if I'm standing in front of someone talking about the topic at hand, even if I have the tendency to go off tangent. It's my style and it's just how I roll.

This is just my 2 cents on the video review compared to written ones. Personally, what I love about all the reviewers on youtube is that they show who they are. Unlike written reviews you don't know who is behind the keyboard, so you don't get that bit of understanding of who is exactly describing the fragrance.

Hm.. Like when you watch a video review, your not just getting information about the fragrance itself, your getting information on who exactly is wearing it. How old the person is, how does they look, how do they dress, how do they compare to you. Everyone has diffrent taste, and that can be expressed in words, but when you can actually see the person who is behind the words -- that just gives you that much more information on how you can see that fragrance on yourself.

lol, though this is probably only something I do, but I just find it extremely fascinating to see all these faces that all have different tastes comparing fragrances as they building off one another other.

I've been at school all day, otherwise I would have chimed in earlier. Take note, this isn't meant to be mean, just criticism. But, many of the reviewers either A) lack the necessary charisma or B) don't put the time in before making the video to make them watchable. Without naming names, there are a couple that are very good at coming off genuine and quite a bit entertaining. But most aren't and as you're taught when entering any sort of media field that involves speaking, the number one offense is "dead air", or similarly in some of the videos, the "umming" and retreading over the same info over and over again. While not everyone can be naturally charismatic, it would help the reviewers IMMENSELY if they practiced what they were going to say, or at least set up a structure BEFORE jumping into the videos. Sometimes it feels like they're just trying to churn them out as fast as possible.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying I could do what they do, for one, I don't have nearly enough patience required, nor am I a great public speaker. But if you're going to put yourself out there like they are, put a little bit more effort into making it an enjoyable and not just informative resource for your viewers.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 25th February 2010 at 07:45 PM.

I really like your review Marc, I hope to see some more when your back! They are better and better.

I would even suggest that you could talk about clothes if your in need of another subject, you have style, especially when your dress up with a tie, that's a style I want to adopt and im sure you could give a lot of good info on this subject too. I find clothes is kinda link in a way to fragrances.

I am glad to read you will be back! - Keep it up your doing a great job!!!!

I've been at school all day, otherwise I would have chimed in earlier. Take note, this isn't meant to be mean, just criticism. But, many of the reviewers either A) lack the necessary charisma or B) don't put the time in before making the video to make them watchable. Without naming names, there are a couple that are very good at coming off genuine and quite a bit entertaining. But most aren't and as you're taught when entering any sort of media field that involves speaking, the number one offense is "dead air", or similarly in some of the videos, the "umming" and retreading over the same info over and over again. While not everyone can be naturally charismatic, it would help the reviewers IMMENSELY if they practiced what they were going to say, or at least set up a structure BEFORE jumping into the videos. Sometimes it feels like they're just trying to churn them out as fast as possible.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying I could do what they do, for one, I don't have nearly enough patience required, nor am I a great public speaker. But if you're going to put yourself out there like they are, put a little bit more effort into making it an enjoyable and not just informative resource for your viewers.
    Errr, how can you go on about charisma and all sorts when they are uploading videos of themselves so the whole world can see them rather then hiding behind a keyboard trying to be witty and charasmatic etc... Anyone can do that behind the keyboard with their idenity covered... it takes balls and is much much harder to do it on camera.

The reviewers on Youtube review mainstream fragrances because the majority of the people generally buy mainstream fragrances not really knowing about 'niche' - that's why Tim and Mark have been so successful on Youtube because they've delivered to the target market. Niche is only a minority remember that's why there's only very few reviews on them... but that doesn't mean to say I don't want Niche reviews on Youtube but generally the average Joe doesn't really want to know about Serge Lutens or whatever... they want to see their Armani's, Issey Miyake's and Lacoste's etc...

P.S. I can't stand Katie Pucrik or whatever her name is. She's a shit reviewer compared to Mark, Tim, Fabian, Julio and Jonathan... she couldn't give a fuck about the fragrances, she just relies on her weird little sayings, facial expressions, voice and fancy camera and editing trying to 'charm' people rather than get down taking time and actually reviewing the fragrance.

What I really like about the youtube reviews is you get to see their emotions and feelings when describing their fragances--that seems to tell me much more than writing/note descriptions.

Marc: One suggestion for your videos is to shorten the notes section of your fragrances. I don't think most of your viewers are that interested in the individual notes or know what even mean. Instead, I think they would appreciate it more if you just describe what that fragrances smells to you in terms of simple things everyone has smelled before: jolly ranchers/apple pie/christmas tree etc.

That is something that I really appreciate about Brandon's (CutlassSupreme) videos. It kind of gives an idea of how an average who would walk by might smell the fragrance as.
    Last edited by tinybarbarian; 25th February 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vojskovođa View Post
    Errr, how can you go on about charisma and all sorts when they are uploading videos of themselves so the whole world can see them rather then hiding behind a keyboard trying to be witty and charasmatic etc... Anyone can do that behind the keyboard with their idenity covered... it takes balls and is much much harder to do it on camera.

The reviewers on Youtube review mainstream fragrances because the majority of the people generally buy mainstream fragrances not really knowing about 'niche' - that's why Tim and Mark have been so successful on Youtube because they've delivered to the target market. Niche is only a minority remember that's why there's only very few reviews on them... but that doesn't mean to say I don't want Niche reviews on Youtube but generally the average Joe doesn't really want to know about Serge Lutens or whatever... they want to see their Armani's, Issey Miyake's and Lacoste's etc...

P.S. I can't stand Katie Pucrik or whatever her name is. She's a shit reviewer compared to Mark, Tim, Fabian, Julio and Jonathan... she couldn't give a fuck about the fragrances, she just relies on her weird little sayings, facial expressions, voice and fancy camera and editing trying to 'charm' people rather than get down taking time and actually reviewing the fragrance.
    Huh? I didn't say anything about niche or Katie Pucrick. And also, I clearly said that I could not do this, but then again, I'm not putting myself out there for criticism. I simply stated, what I believe to be a very valid argument. No offense, but if you're going to to make a 9 minute video, it should 9 minutes worth of unique and entertaining information relevant to the topic at hand. If you're going to spend half of that time ummming and ahhhing then cut the video down to 4 minutes so it doesn't get boring.

Also, I don't think what I'm asking for is hard in the least. Before uploading a video, plan out what you're going to say, simple as that. That way you come off natural, as opposed to stumbling through it, searching for things to say. Again, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I'll leave the names out, but there are clearly some that are better (or even really good) at doing this and some others that could use practice.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 25th February 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Huh? I didn't say anything about niche or Katie Pucrick. And also, I clearly said that I could not do this, but then again, I'm not putting myself out there for criticism. I simply stated, what I believe to be a very valid argument. No offense, but if you're going to to make a 9 minute video, it should 9 minutes worth of unique and entertaining information relevant to the topic at hand. If you're going to spend half of that time ummming and ahhhing then cut the video down to 4 minutes so it doesn't get boring.

Also, I don't think what I'm asking for is hard in the least. Before uploading a video, plan out what you're going to say, simple as that. That way you come off natural, as opposed to stumbling through it, searching for things to say. Again, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I'll leave the names out, but there are clearly some that are better (or even really good) at doing this and some others that could use practice.
    Hey. Sorry... the first paragraph was aimed at you, the other two paragraphs were me just talking in general about what other people have been saying about Katie Pucrik and what people reivew on Youtube etc...

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Yah, that's basically my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyray24 View Post
    Marc, I also agree with this. I first found your videos on Youtube then this forum. In fact this is my first post. You have been responsible for at least 10 bottles in my collection. Please keep up the good work. I find the videos a great way to put together a list of things to look for when shopping.
    But hey, *this* is their audience, innit?! I'm not target audience for Youtube video reviews, but other people are. Obviously, they are being reached and appreciate the efforts. We should recognize that, as well.

It's my style and it's just how I roll.
    Maybe so, but that attitude does prevent you from learning how to be better at what you do while stilling rolling like the stone you are, collecting no moss and all. (Mind you, I've not watched any of your vids so this is not criticism of your style - rather of the unwillingness to accept tips for improvement of any kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Vojskovođa View Post
    I'm sure it is, but is that relevant? This is not a game of truth or dare, it's about sharing information in an effective and if possible entertaining way. Balls does not equal a pleasure to watch. Which, yaknow, kinda defeats the purpose of having a review in a video format.

I am not sure if I am correct here and I am probably going to piss some of you off by saying this:

but I think Tim is a good reviewer, albeit I prefer Mark much more. I feel like Tim will review a certain fragrance positively bc he gets it free from fragrancenet, I mean look at the banners on his page, all fragrancenet, plus he always "shouts out" fragrancenet for hooking him up with free samples/bottles, etc.... I just find it disingenious. Now, please Tim and other BN'ers do not take offense. I am simply calling it as I see it.

He seems to always mention fragrancenet, why do this if you are just reviewing a cologne and have nothing to do with a company. Why praise this company endlessly.

Still he denies any involvement with fragrancenet (or at least has in the past despite endorsing their website, cheap prices, and great selection), well at least in the past he did. But my guess now is that the evidence is so overwhelming that he wil not deny it and state that he never denied it in the first place, which is not the truth.

And please, Tim if I am am wrong, then I apoligize, but please explain to me why you constantly mention fragrancenet in your reviews and how great a company they are. I feel this makes your reviews highly bias. I feel some fragrances your review highly because it would offend your "partner" fragrancenet and they would be angry with you and maybe terminate your relationship.

I mean his banner even tells us to shop at fragrancenet and use the name "TIM" as a coupon and then TIM tries to tell us he has no ties to fragrancenet; come on dude. He may admit ties now, but in the past, including PM conversations between me and Tim he denied any involvement with fragrancenet even after i pointed out that he advertised the coupon "TIM" on his banner for his subscribers to get a certain % off

In addition, I find it odd, he never mentions any other fragrance company, ie scentmonkey, aedes, fragrancex, parfumsraffy, luckyscent....

Again, if I am wrong, then please explain it to us.

Fragrance reviews should be about the fragrance, not the company who supplies it or about the company who gives you perks in exchange for positive reviews so people will run out and buy the scent from fragrancenet. I just find the whole thing a little cheesy.

On the other hand, you have Mark, who gives it to you straight up, no BS, no advertisements.
    Last edited by ApacheRosePeacock; 25th February 2010 at 11:02 PM.