Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Request for help

I'm having a really hard time finding a fragrance that just clicks with me. I own a few dozen perfumes that I love and respect, but I haven't found something that really feels like me. I would appreciate any suggestions that might fit.

Most of my collection is in the Fougere category. I love them, but it doesn't fit me. Aquatic is out of the question. Nothing too fresh and clean. No soapy smell.

I want something clearly masculine. I negotiate for a living and I'm fiercely independent. I don't care if it projects or stays close to the skin, I just want the smell to be right. I'm also very sexual in a dominant way.

I'm not emotionally invested in any direction, but I do have some ideas for notes. I like leather, tobacco, ambergris, tea, and coriander. Possibly animal; I'm not sure. That being said, I don't want my fragrance to club you over the head, so there should be some notes in there to lighten it up. I don't care if they are citrus, floral, or whatever, as long as they're understated and compliment the deeper notes.

I don't want to smell like food, candy, or anything too nice. I have a very visible, bold, black tattoo with clean lines that is a good indicator of my personality. Anything too friendly creates discord with my personality.

A linear fragrance could potentially work well for me. I don't want to smell like I'm trying to smell like anything; just me. My personality tends to be unwavering, simple, and direct.

Not everything I wrote is a requirement, just ideas. I wish I knew more about perfume so I could communicate this better, but any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Reed; 28th February 2010 at 11:47 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Request for help

How about Chanel Antaeus?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Vintage Tabarome
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1 you read my mind

Get Antaeus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Vintage Tabarome
    My first thought was Antaeus, but this one is EXCELLENT as well.

This youtube reviewer (Julio aka basenotes member "jcepiano") described Vintage Tabarome as a fragrance you would expect the president to wear.

Last edited by Spray; 28th February 2010 at 06:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus and Vintage Tabarome are good suggestions

From your description, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Esencia Loewe and even YSL M7, Zino Davidoff and Guerlain Heritage sound like candidates at least worth testing

+1 for Antaeus

Itīs my SotD and Iīm wondering (once again), why I donīt wear it more often. Great stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Most definitely sample Antaeus! Others that jump to mind: Molinard Habanita (not just for the ladies), Michael Kors for Men, Yatagan, Third Man, Burberry London, Gucci PH, Halston Z-14, Heritage edp, Habit Rouge edp, Polo Modern Reserve, Zino Davidoff and M7.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We seem to be making recommendations a bit blindly here, and some fougeres you already have may be repeated. It would help if you indicated the scents you already have. You could also type in the notes (solo, or in combination) in the Directory's search fields and see what comes up. You could then sample away at the ones whose reviews grab you.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Antaeus and Vintage Tabarome are good suggestions

From your description, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Esencia Loewe and even YSL M7, Zino Davidoff and Guerlain Heritage sound like candidates at least worth testing
    Yup. Big time support from me on Antaeus, VC&A and Vintage Tabarome. I'll throw in Versace L'Homme plus Lauder for Men too.

Antaeus the most sexual. VC&A the most potent sillage- i.e. "Here comes Reed" or "Reed was here." VT is the most "don't F with me."

Very dominant and masculine juice. You're tying our hands a bit though with no wardrobe listed. You say you own a few dozen and for all we know, you already have some or all of these.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 28th February 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Montale Cuir D'Arabie

Post Thanks / Like

Nasomatto Duro sounds like it would fit your personality to a T. This is a rather somewhat linear but uncompromising fragrance that is all wood, leather and aoud; nothing clean or aquatic with this one. It suits a dominant personality perfectly, in fact it would seem out of place on one that didn't have a dominant personality.

Aoud Cuir d'Arabie could also be a good one to test. This is a little more refined than Duro but just as masculine and no non-sense. For an even more elegant fragrance try Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale or Aoud Safran by Montale. The latter is another of Montale's take on the aoud/rose/incense theme but the saffron and a little leather adds a nice edge that makes this a very good masculine fragrance.

Sel di Vetiver by The Different Company is a little more subtle than the others I have recommended so far but it is a great masculine earth smoky vetiver.

Gucci pour Homme and L'anarchiste are less expensive scents that I would also recommend.

Vintage Tabarome is a great fragrance but after reading what you wrote and thinking about people I know that seem to have a lot in common with you, I think that VT might just be a little too "nice."
    Last edited by surreality; 28th February 2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Tabarome Millesime

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hit some Hermes Bel Ami.

Also, the Vintage Tabarome suggestions might be a bit frustrating: the stuff was recently discontinued and thus sells at exorbitant price when and if it's available. Further, I think the stuff is just too soft.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie could also be a good one to test. This is a little more refined than Duro but just as masculine and no non-sense. For an even more elegant fragrance try Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale.
    I'll second both these two. And, to continue Surreality's rough-to-elegant slide, an even more elegant leather to my nose is Cuir Ottoman, very wearable and very true leather with a floral undertone. More gentle and fruitier is the long-gone Cuiron, but finding a bottle of that is a wild goose chase I wouldn't send someone who wasn't already a fan on.

Most of all, I'd suggest sampling broadly. I understand perfectly what you said in your quest for the right scent about liking fragrances but them not being you, somehow. I have this with all the regularly available mens designers out there, but have found many fragrances that were "me", so I suggest sample, sample, sample from high and low until you find one or many matches to your tastes.

PM me if you like, I can send you samples of Duro and Oud Cuir d'Arabie.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 28th February 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'd hit some Hermes Bel Ami.

Also, the Vintage Tabarome suggestions might be a bit frustrating: the stuff was recently discontinued and thus sells at exorbitant price when and if it's available. Further, I think the stuff is just too soft.
    DustB, I hardly ever disagree with you but Vintage Tabarome is my stone wall - the furthest thing from soft in my wardrobe.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest something like Guerlain Derby
    or Gucci Nobile
    Aramis Havana
    Rive Gauche
    Opium EdP
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Antaeus...and do try Zino by Zino Davidoff

Post Thanks / Like

DustB, I hardly ever disagree with you but Vintage Tabarome is my stone wall - the furthest thing from soft in my wardrobe.
    Yeah, tastes vary of course. But "soft?" I had to scrub some off last time I wore it. Brutally strong stuff.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Al this talk about 'Antaeus' ... no no no,
    you go with 'Pour Monsieur' de Chanel,
    or even better 'Pour Monsieur Concentreé'!

Christian Dior 'Dune pour Homme' would also
    be a good choise..!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 28th February 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yeah, tastes vary of course. But "soft?" I had to scrub some off last time I wore it. Brutally strong stuff.
    Great to hear from both of you gentlemen, and couldn't be in disagreement with better quality members. I'll put together a thread about what I mean and then maybe we'll just have to suffer through another thread on this scent and it's house.

Thanks very much for the posts. I'll be back to both of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Eau Sauvage. Though it is a chypre, it contains cumin, amber, leather, and citrus. It is very masculine and well-made. For something smoother and less "savage," try the original Chanel pour Monsieur.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm excited to try the suggestions. Tomorrow I'll respond with greater depth and I'll post all of the near misses in my current wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have Anteaus and I love it, but it doesn't quite work for me. I need less woods and less dry. Also, I find it to be overly forceful. I suppose I described myself poorly above, but I'm more subtle than that. Think walk softly and carry a big stick.

Some perfumes in my wardrobe that don't work and why...

Wall Street, Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne, English Fern, Crown Fougere, and Green Irish Tweed - I love all of these, but they are way too fresh and clean.

Serge Lutens - Gris Clair - Adore it, I don't really have the language for it, but there's something here that resonates with me. That being said, it doesn't work at all for me.

Hermes - Terre d'Hermes - Adore it, this actually works for me when I'm an a particularly light and fun mood. I get a ton of compliments with this one and it will stay as my go-to fragrance for business when I want to be more generic and pleasing, but I'd like something more sexual for normal days.

Bulgari - Black - Really like this. I wear it on nights out. I don't have the language for why it doesn't work, but when I wear it I feel like I'm trying too hard. A*men falls in this category for me as well, but that fails because I smell too much like candy.

Juicy Couture - Dirty English - Gets surprisingly close. I like it, but it frustrates me. I love the animal, amber, and leather. I just wish I could get rid of the woods and make it less dry.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions! I'm going to order a bunch of them... wish me luck!
    Last edited by Reed; 1st March 2010 at 09:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    I actually have Anteaus and I love it, but it doesn't quite work for me. I need less woods and less dry. Also, I find it to be overly forceful. I suppose I described myself poorly above, but I'm more subtle than that. Think walk softly and carry a big stick.

Some perfumes in my wardrobe that don't work and why...

Wall Street, Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne, English Fern, Crown Fougere, and Green Irish Tweed - I love all of these, but they are way too fresh and clean.

Serge Lutens - Gris Clair - Adore it, I don't really have the language for it, but there's something here that resonates with me. That being said, it doesn't work at all for me.

Hermes - Terre d'Hermes - Adore it, this actually works for me when I'm an a particularly light and fun mood. I get a ton of compliments with this one and it will stay as my go-to fragrance for business when I want to be more generic and pleasing, but I'd like something more sexual for normal days.

Bulgari - Black - Really like this. I wear it on nights out. I don't have the language for why it doesn't work, but when I wear it I feel like I'm trying too hard. A*men falls in this category for me as well, but that fails because I smell too much like candy.

Juicy Couture - Dirty English - Gets surprisingly close. I like it, but it frustrates me. I love the animal, amber, and leather. I just wish I could get rid of the woods and make it less dry.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions! I'm going to order a bunch of them... wish me luck!
    Reed,
    I certainly wish you luck, but I think you might be looking for too much of a literal translation of "yourself" into a fragrance. Fragrance hunting isn't really looking for that, it's just looking for and then wearing a scent that you like.

I often tell new members this, so it might be a broken record thing, but the essence of scent searching is just finding something that you like to smell and like to smell of. There is no inherent match between scents and so many of the fantasies new members have for scents fitting them as age group, as attitude, or profession. Those things might come after the fact, once you've come to associate one smell with a time in your life or something, but it's a personal thing--smells aren't a language that you can make say aggressive, laid back, or speak softly yet have a big stick.

All you do is smell a lot of things and wait until one you smell really sings to you. So to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DustB for the pragmatic advice. I'll try to take my holy quest with a grain of salt. Admittedly, it's fun as hell to buy this stuff up. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

How about Aramis or Derby?
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Post Thanks / Like

You should try Body Kouros once

Pour Monsieur by Chanel.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Havana
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

All you do is smell a lot of things and wait until one you smell really sings to you. So to speak.
    Wise words.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Allure Homme sang to me like Whitney Houston - hits all the right notes in the beginning but cracks in the base.