Code of Conduct

Default Question about value, market and demand...

Hello ladies, and any guys, watching with the knowledge in this field.

The set-up:
    Last May I lost my dad to leukemia. This thread isn't about that, it's just the initial background which kicks us off. Saturday just gone I was over at my mum's and she decided to start clearing out some of the cupboards, most of which were filled with years of squirreled away clothes, items and gifts that were never opened, let alone used, some of it my dad's, some of it hers. Among it all were some fine gent's things (vintage unworn dress shirts and vintage gent's toiletries) that I've taken for myself, as well as several vintage either unopened or very lightly used womens' cosmetics and frags. Mum's kept a couple of things (a couple of vintage 80s bottles of Chanel No. 5 which dad bought for her and all of the jewellery he bought her over the years), but most of the rest of it (basically 20-odd years of unwanted gifts from friends and family) she wants me to sell on the 'Bay so someone else who'll use it all can benefit and so she can put the money to "better use".

Now, my knowledge of these things is pretty much zero, so I wondered if any of you who did know about this sort of thing could tell me what prices I should expect and what the current market for this sort of stuff is, bearing in mind most of it is vintage. So, if I list what there is and any guidance would be much appreciated...

The first thing I should say is that all of these have been kept in a dark, cool cupboard since mum received/bought them.

Christmas 1989 Estee Lauder "Designing Faces" Collection, 15 piece set - with all of its original provenance, in its original case and box and in as-new condition, this is a cosmetics set which has two lipsticks and one eye shadow missing and one or two of the other eye shadows very lightly used. My initial thought was that this would be a sure-fire hit, but given the missing items and the lightly used bits, now I have some doubts. But it's a fine looking set nonetheless.

St Michael's (Marks & Spencer's) Cosmetic Collection 22 piece set - from 1986. Nothing missing, but lip colours and one of the pencils lightly used.

Max Factor Geminesse 27ml Cologne and 50ml Talc "Mirror Image" duo set - unopened and still in its original box. No date indications, but from the packaging it looks to be 80s or very early 90s. I know that most Geminesse stuff tends to go for silly money on the 'Bay, but I've not seen this set anywhere.

Boots Treasured Moments miniature EDT set - from the late 80s, unopened in original box. Contains six 5ml frags (Le Jardin, Fleur de Rose and Charlie from Max Factor, Forever and Lace from Yardley and Fleur from Lentheric) and a decorative photo frame.

Paloma Picasso EDP Edition Limitee 30ml - unopened and still sealed in original box. Mum's fairly certain that this was given to her by a friend in the early 90s, who bought it whilst on holiday in Canada (the box says "Imported by Cosmair Canada Inc, Montreal).

Parfums Lagerfeld Chloe 50ml EDT - from "some time in the 90s" (I'm thinking late, or possibly very early 00s, as there is a short ingredients list on the box), unopened and still sealed in its original box. Bought from the States.

Vanderbilt Eau de Vanderbilt, 75ml EDT - bought from a Vanderbilt boutique in Paris. Don't know when, not even roughly, but probably 80s or very early 90s as there are no ingredients listed on the box. Unopened and still sealed.

Ghost Deep Night 30ml EDT - bought in Paris shortly after it was released. Unopened and still sealed, with the security sticker still attached.

Again, any ideas anyone has got will be very much appreciated.

I'm sorry to use this as a price-checker, and I'd love mum to keep them for herself or, at the very least, keep them for my sister, my wife or even me! But mum wants to sell them, so I have to respect her wish.

Thanks all.

Default Re: Question about value, market and demand...

If you search for those items on eBay, check the worldwide option, and then the completed items option on the left side of the page. You'll be able to see if anything like that has been sold recently, and how much $ it fetched.
    The used makeup has health implications. I toss eyeshadow that has only been used once by me after 3-4 months. It's against eBay rules to sell used cosmetic items but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Also, you may be able to swap some of it for something you or your mum wants on MakeupAlley.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    If you search for those items on eBay, check the worldwide option, and then the completed items option on the left side of the page. You'll be able to see if anything like that has been sold recently, and how much $ it fetched.
    The used makeup has health implications. I toss eyeshadow that has only been used once by me after 3-4 months. It's against eBay rules to sell used cosmetic items but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Also, you may be able to swap some of it for something you or your mum wants on MakeupAlley.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, apart from the Ghost, I can't find anything on the 'Bay from anywhere that matches what I've got here. Plenty of the current versions, but I don't want these to get lost amongst those and just go as part of the normal crowd.

Thanks also for the heads up about used cosmetics - fortunately I can easily remove the "offending" articles without doing too much damage to the rest of the sets. I'll check out MakeupAlley.

Thanks
    Last edited by socalwoman; 28th February 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Yes I too was going to suggest the bay or google as a pricing tool - really the actual value of these items is whatever someone is prepared to pay for them. One cant really determine their value unless you can determine what they've sold for previously and then use that as a ballpark price.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Yes I too was going to suggest the bay or google as a pricing tool - really the actual value of these items is whatever someone is prepared to pay for them. One cant really determine their value unless you can determine what they've sold for previously and then use that as a ballpark price.

Good luck.
    Thanks. Determining value is part of the problem, made worse by so many 'Bay transactions. I can see myself having to do a lot of vague random searching to try and find any indicative prices.

I guess that'll give me time to work on mum and make her change her mind about selling...