Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best vetiver

Default Vetiver

I tried Guerlain's Vetiver a couple of days ago and really liked it. I know it's a controversial scent, but how is it compared to other vetivers? I also like, and bought, Kenzoair, which has some vetiver in it. I would like to try Annick Goutal's vetiver, but would have to go blind on that one. Is it "safe"? I'm also curious about Azzaro's vetiver, but have not located any samples. Where should I go next in my vetiver quest?

Default Re: Vetiver

Hi,
    I have 2 favourites with vetiver.The first is from Annick Goutal.It has overtones of freshly cut cucumber and ocean air.It´s very different from other vetivers. I love it and think it´s the best..... alongside vetiver from
    the spanish firm Aldofo Dominguez. If you know of anyone travelling to Spain ask them to bring you back a bottle. These are my 2 favourites. Close third is vetiver from the firm Carven, (you can usually find this fairly cheap at airports)
    Forget Azzaro vetiver, it´s rubbish.
    Best Wishes,
    David
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Quote Originally Posted by david
    Hi,
    I have 2 favourites with vetiver.The first is from Annick Goutal.It has overtones of freshly cut cucumber and ocean air.It´s *very different from other vetivers. I love it and think it´s *the best..... alongside vetiver from
    the spanish firm Aldofo Dominguez. If you know of anyone travelling to Spain ask them to bring you back a bottle. These are my 2 favourites. Close third is vetiver from the firm Carven, (you can usually find this fairly cheap at airports)
    *David
    Now, Carven always used to be my favourite. The revamp of recent years has rather altered its character, somehow. Its sweeter now and not as long lasting. But I would still recommend it.

My new favourite (and my next purchase I think) is Original Vetiver by Creed. A new scent (2004) but with all the Creed tradition behind it. Very fresh, green and long lasting. The dry down seemed a little like Green Irish Tweed (another favourite of mine).

Trot

i second trot's recommendation .. creed original vertiver ... legendary ...

Scott

Its hard to to tell you something is safe and feel comfortable. I will say this one
    is one of the best for ME I have tried. I like the peek-a-boo rose on this one too.
    Vétiver (1981)
    by Annick Goutal

a few more...

Another one would be the very smooth
    Vétyver Oriental (2002)
    by Serge Lutens

Last two...
    Racine (1988)
    by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Route du Vétiver (1988) *
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

C
    CG

Overcome By Fumes

I like the Guerlain a lot too. It's definitely got the vetiver in it but also a lot of lemon and other stuff going on. I'd second Route du Vetiver and also suggest Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire for very true quality vetivers. Creed's is certainly good. I find the licorice note in Vetiver Oriental to not complement the vetiver as well as one might hope. I was not impressed by either the Carven or the Azzaro vetiver products.

Here is a word of caution:
    Don't buy Route de Vetiver blind for it is quite rough and down-to-earth vetiver.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by lagloriacubana
    I tried Guerlain's Vetiver a couple of days ago and really liked it. I know it's a controversial scent, but how is it compared to other vetivers? I also like, and bought, Kenzoair, which has some vetiver in it. I would like to try Annick Goutal's vetiver, but would have to go blind on that one. Is it "safe"? I'm also curious about Azzaro's vetiver, but have not located any samples. Where should I go next in my vetiver quest?
    Be FOREWARNED! Try out a sample of Annick Goutal Vetiver before you buy it. I have no good words for this. Something of the burmese spices and salt with rooty vetiver knocked me out. None of the beautiful earthy smell. Avoid Azzaro, very synthetic, musky and useless. Other ones I have sampled --

Creed OV: Vetiver leaf instead of the root. Similar to eaux de Colognes with vetiver and sandalwood. Not true vetiver (ie leaf instead of root). Probably the freshest "vetiver" scent.

Hermes Vetiver Tonka: Vanilla and vetiver weaving in and out. Interesting take on the vetiver. Be careful, could be cloying due to the vanilla.

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental: Same theme as the Hermes one (though it came out earlier), the earthy/rooty vetiver balanced by sweet and spices. More wearable than the Hermes one since the vetiver is muted and it is the vetiver leaves instead of the root.

L'Occitance Vetyver: Beautiful perfume. The spice (nutmeg) and citrus is in a similar vein to Guerlain and this one and very beautifully balanced perfume. Recommended.

Etro Vetiver: Ditto as Annick Goutal very dry vetiver. Though it has less of the spice and salt nonsense which destroys the AG vetiver.

Lorenzo Villerosi: Interesting Herbal vetiver combination. In addition, has the trademark cedar, incense, mint. I think I smelt tomato leaf. Very green vetiver rendition.

Gendarme V (Vetiver): The only animalic vetiver (civet) I know of. However competes with Creed OV in freshness. The civet can be offputting at first. So wait for the drydown. Continues the clean gendarme tradition with a bit of florals thrown in.

MPG Route De Vetiver: Phenomenal take on vetiver. If you have uprooted a vetiver root this is how you felt. This is the purest vetiver with all supporting cast root-like too. Recommended for pure vetiver lovers. Be warned, the Guerlain vetiver is very light.

Others that seem interesting, but I haven't tried
    FM Vetiver Extraordinaire
    SMN Vetiver

-S
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Now you've put the fear of God in him...
    Now I'm even afraid to buy it again...
    (just kidding, moment of weakness)
    However, you are right to sample first, after all you would not
    want to be a hasty heart... :exclamation
    C
    CG

I love Guerlain Vetiver. I find the Carven Vetiver to be extremely weak, more of an Acqua de Vetiver. I find the Annick Goutal Vetiver to be extremely strong and harsh, I do not like it and would not recommend buying this blind.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Serpent

Vétiver by Annick Goutal is my absolute favorite vetiver scent. I've struggled with vetiver scents and have tried a bunch of them: Carven, Serge Lutens, Frédéric Malle, Guerlain, Lanvin, the Hermessence version, Creed. I had a bottle of the Guerlain Vetiver, but it didn't suit me at all. It really should be called "Lemon" by Guerlain. I like it, but it's not me. But the Goutal Vétiver is just mind-blowingly good. It has seaweed for this wonderful bilious, oceanic greenness and a salty note. There's a strange mineral quality, too, that gives it the smell of tequila. The citrus is wonderfully sweet with the sour, unlike in most vetiver scents, and the vetiver grounds it all beautifully. It smells like a big margarita to me, with the salt and tequila and citrus. It's a big, boozy, sweet green scent, very unique, great for the summertime, easily the most fun vetiver scent ever. Most vetiver scents are grim and very reserved and business-like, but Goutal's has a sense of humor and is relaxed, ready for a trip to the beach. It's a good barefoot vetiver. I highly recommend it.

I had a bottle of the Guerlain Vetiver, but it didn't suit me at all. It really should be called "Lemon" by Guerlain.
    You must be referring to the new formulation. The old formulation is bergamot and vetiver but hardly any lemon.

Creed's original Vetiver is nice. It's also laughably overprice for what it's trying to do. I realy hope their new one does something different. I have a well documented problem with Vetiver. I try to like it, but it just never seems to work out. That being said there is on scent that does everything right for this note. It's Frederic Malle's/Ropion's Vetiver Extraordinaire. I will repost the previous review I put up before when I get home, but the scent is nothign short of brilliant. It carries a hefty tag but is worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by lagloriacubana
    lagloria,

I own only 2 vetivers: Guerlain and Annick Goutal. Between the 2, I defeinitely favor AG more.

Hope this helps.
    tuco

My favorite is L'Occitane.

I am wishy-washy on Guerlain. Sometimes it is excellent, sometimes blah.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Floris Elite is another fragrance I like that has a significant vetiver note. Has anyone tried Floris Vetiver?

I agree with the previous recommendations of L'Occitane Vetyver. Great stuff.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I wear the pure essential oil these days. I also like Adolfo Dominguez, MPG Racine and Guerlain's Vetiver.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Guerlain's version is the closest thing I have to a signature scent. The vetiver quotient in it is subdued, however, compared to others.

For an "extreme" vetiver, I second MPG's Route du Vetiver. Anyone with an interest in vetiver should try it because I think it comes closest to what I would imagine raw vetiver would smell like. Someone (Mike_C I believe) once described it as "vetiver red in tooth and claw" -- you have been warned! I much prefer MPG's Racine which doesn't stint on the vetiver component, but yet somehow makes it refined and elegant at the same time.

Villoresi's Vetiver is also quite nice. Herbal and pungent with the trademark LV botanical brew.

Cheers,
    Bob

I'll have to second Serp's dismay over Guerlain's. It is more like a citrus at this point. The tobacco is the highlight for me with this one.

Original Vetiver is nice, but then again, if I wanted to wear Thierry Mugler Cologne, of which it is a clone, IMHO, I would just wear that at probably 1/3 the price. Original Vetiver has a much shorter duration to boot.

For a pure vetiver I would probably try to get my hands around Goutal - it is really close to the EO but surprisingly wearable.

L'Occitane Vetyver remains my favorite, but it is really a blend with Vetiver only being one component, and not the most prominent one at times. You really have to wait until the drydown with this puppy.

I might spring for CM Vetiver blind since it is on sale.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Some time ago there was a discussion about vetivers. Search for it.

In case you do not like to search, here`s the list:
    Pure Vetiver Azzaro (2000), Racine Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (Jean Francois Laporte), Route du Vetiver Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (Jean Francois Laporte), Un Air de Java Decleor (Pierre Bourdon, 2000), Vetiver Annick Goutal (Annick Goutal, 1981), Vetiver Carven (1957), Vetiver ETRO (1989), Vetiver Floris (2000), Vetiver Guerlain (Jean-Paul Guerlain, 1959, 2000), Vetiver L'Artisan Parfumeur (Jean Francois Laporte, 1978), Vetiver Lorenzo Villoresi (Lorenzo Villoresi, 1994), Vetiver Santa Maria Novella, Vetiver Extraordinaire Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle (Dominique Ropion, 2002), Vetiver Hombre Adolfo Dominguez (1998), Vetiver Oriental Serge Lutens Palais Royal Shiseido (Christopher Sheldrake, 2002), Vetyver L'Occitane (Olivier Baussane, 2001), Vetiver ElizabethW, Wilde Vetiver Grandiflorum (1997), Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver Carolina Herrera (2001), Vetyver Black Coffee Jo Malone (2003), Zeelyony Vetiver Novaya Zarya (2000), Vetiver des Sables Montale (2003), Vetiver Tonka Hermes (2004), Baladin Patricia Nicolai, Vetiver Creed (1948), KenzoAir (2004).
    Bayrhum Vetiver Creed
    Eau de Vetyver Le Galion (1969) discontinued
    Eau de Vetyver Yves Rocher (1982) discontinued
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley (1996) discontinued
    Vetiver Arran Aromatics
    Vetiver Carlo Corinto
    Vetiver Perlier
    Vetiver Roger & Gallet
    Vetiver Bourbon Mavive Classics (2003)
    Vetivert Hove Parfumeur
    Vetyver Jo Malone (1995)
    Vetyver Haiti Comptoir Sud Pacifique (1977)
    Vetyver Lanvin (1964, 2003)
    Vetiver Dry Carven discontinued
    Bois de Vetiver Bogart (1982) discontinued
    Vettiveru Serie 4: Colognes Comme des Garcons (2002)
    Vetiver Antonio Puig (1978)
    Vetiver Demeter Fragrance Library (2000)
    Vetiver Givenchy (1959) discontinued
    Vetiver and Rum Helan
    Vetiver Piver LT (1991)
    Malizia Uomo Vetiver Mirato
    Eau de Vetiver Rance
    Vetiver Roccobarocco
    Eau de Vetiver Le Jardin Retrouve (Yury Gutsatz, 2000)
    Vetyver et Vanille Le Jardin Retrouve (Yury Gutsatz, 2000)
    Fresco di Vetiver i Profumi Firenze
    Vetiver Original Creed (2004)
    Vetyver by Compagnia Delle Indie
    Vetiver pour Femme Guerlain
    Vetiver Glacee Guerlain
    Vetyvert Madini
    Vetiver Mazzolari
    Vetiver Cote Bastide
    Vetiver Speziali Fiorentini

I tried some of those. I love them all (except ElizabethW, Azzaro and Lanvin, which are not true vetivers)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

My exposure to vetiver started almost a decade ago when I happened upon some small containers of Van Cleef & Arpels at a TJ Maxx store that happened to be adjacent and behind the building wherein I became employed. It was those lunchtime strolls that re-ignited a long dormant interest in scent. Well, dormant as for wearing since I was an obsessive incense burner. The vetiver element became more apparent to me with a year or so familiarity with VC&A Homme and I often notice the connection walking the dog through the wilds of the nearby river. It smells more of the fresh weedy green to me than it does of monyed formality.

Next along came Guerlain Vetiver around five years ago thanks to the diligent attention to me from a Perfumania salesman. It was summer and I was struggling to find an appropriate number for the season. I ran through a bottle that year. I revisited GV recently and enjoyed it. Glad I kept it.

I have two of the good ones: Original Vetiver and Route du Vetiver.

RdV hooked me from first sniff. Stunningly real and natural, I seem to smell it often stalking through the woods, some fragrance or other wafting off me and mixing with the sturdy green liveliness around me. Just had to have it.

Original Vetiver. I make my case: Any resemblance between this and the Mugler stuff is purely coincidental, both making use of a well established tradition, and the differences are enormous. Mugler opens startlingly refreshing and clean only to fade off quickly and turn nasty, synthetic, ubiquitous sweet designer crap and even that doesn't last and could be any of dozens of others. OV stays true and develops nicely into a Creed with typical new Creed notes of Mysore sandal, ambergris, ginger, and musk. Perhaps the vetiver here is genuine and fixes since it does remain shimmering on into the dry down. As for the price, full retail for any Creed borders upon the ridiculous for me, lowlife that I am, but at $87 for a full 4 oz bottle, OV is one of the best deals around.

Creed's Vetivert Original, or Frederic Malle's Vetivert extraordinare are my faves.

FM Vetiver Extraordinaire was my first ever blind purchase in 2004 due to the comments on this board....AMAZING fragrance. For a classy, refreshing, versatile fragrance, it has to be Creed OV. Wore it on my wedding day last year [smiley=happy.gif]

Lovers of 'the lemon' in Guerlains Vetiver might want to test 'One' by HannesB, Switzerland which has even more of it. Nice, as the days get hotter.

And:.... 'Lastly, Guerlain has just released what they call VETIVER POUR ELLE which is basically the pour lui with a touch of added jasmine. It smells wonderful. In its infinite wisdom, Guerlain wants to sell it only in duty-free shops and for a limited time, so take a cheap flight to somewhere interesting and get it.' (Luca Turin in ...perfume_notes/grassroots) Does anybody know this one? Yasmin and V sounds good!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

My top two vetivers are:

1) FM - Vetiver Extraordinaire
    2) L'Artisan - Vetiver

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is my favourite vetiver, followed by Guerlains.
    Etro Vetiver is a bit rougher than Lorenzo's.

Carvens is a citrusy vetiver, and is pretty weak, unless you spray it on, wait half a minute, then spray exactly over where you sprayed before. You use it up twice as quickly, but it doesn't cost much. It's never been much liked around here, but I think it's okay for summer.

Azzaro's Pure Vetiver isn't like your standard vetiver. More like a version of Chrome with a few notes stripped out and replaced with vetiver.
    Lanvin's vetiver is in the same boat.

A cheap Italian scent called Malazia Uomo is found in among the cheap and copy scents down here, rather than with the proper designer ones. But it's a pretty good long lasting vetiver scent. It often comes bundled with aftershave splash or balm or gel. Avoid the gel, it stings a lot, without giving any useful scent for your trouble.
    Renato

barrister98

my first exposure to vetiver was Guerlain ... (another fragrance I really wanted to like) but IMHO it's an acquired taste but infinitely more affordable than Creed's OV (although I'll reserve comment since I haven't personally sampled this one)

Chaps what about the vetiver which has been discontinued by Carven?

I recently ordered a huge bottle blind? Turin did mention (in the Luca Turin Blog) that the experts rated this as a second tie with Guerlain's original vetiver (now discontinued).

If my memory serves me right, It was described by Turin as fresh & carefree.

What should I expect?
    Let your nose be your pilot

Fitofox

I don't like it.
    Vetiver produces me headache

Default What does a Vetiver smell like?

I know this sounds like a dumb Q,but i cant sample a Vetiver.I see there is a Guerlain vetiver and a Creed Vetiver...is it like an oriental or aquatic or...?

Default Re: What does a Vetiver smell like?

Vetiver is herbacious with an earthy/green smell.

Vetiver on its own is a very complex woody note. It is not technically *a* wood; it is the root of tropical grass that grows in countries like Haiti, Indonesia, etc. The roots grow very deep into the ground and are huge!
    The complex aroma of vetiver smells clean, dry, slightly "sour", earthy, woody. The scent varies from different origins - some are sweeter, some even smell a bit like maramite on their own (a particular yeast-spread that I believe most British people will know what it is!).

Vetiver roots are used also to create woven mats and blinds for the windows which are used in tropical countries to cool off the house. Especially when sprinkled with water, those vetiver mats release the vetiver aroma, and that scent has a cooling, refreshing effect.

Vetiver gets different interpretations in different vetiver soliflores. Most commonly, its clean woody aroma is complemented by citrus. If you smell different vetiver colognes to try to discern the aroma of vetiver alone, I suggest you try until the dry down, once all the other citrus and herbal supporting notes fade out, and you will get the idea after a while.

But best is of course to get a sample of the essetial oil - most aromatherapy stores has it as it is not an expensive material.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    But best is of course to get a sample of the essetial oil - most aromatherapy stores has it as it is not an expensive material.
    Agreed.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Ayala is very right!

They differ moslty from its origin. My favorite vetiver is a sunny-creamy-yellow-clean vetiver as opposed to a more earthy-dry-greener vetiver. I also prefer a sweeter vetiver than a non-sweet vetiver.

Of course, sometimes i'm in the mood for a more sharper greener vetiver than an earthy-woody one, but it depends on the weather and if i want that scent to be more about the "vetiver experience" than if it's just a vetiver whiff i want at the end of a drydown in a non-vetiver-heavy fragrance.

My opinion is that if you have the chance of buying different vetiver oils, make a vetiver sniff-a-thon and then decide what's better for you or what are the feelings or images you get when you smell them, it might be fun to have a paper and a pen and then after smelling them, close your eyes and write down the first thing that comes to your mind.

it's all about the pleasure and fun of it. vetiver-style!

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Ayala is very right!

They differ moslty from its origin . . .

While the provenance of vetiver oil certainly has a significant bearing on how vetiver smells, in practical terms in modern day perfumery, variations in the scent profile of vetiver have a lot more to do with how indivudual vetiver oil is processed--what constituents of the essential oil are left in, which ones are intensified/isolated, and also whether or not other aromachemicals in the fragrance have vetiver-like notes that add to the complexity of the overall vetiver effect. This explains the large variantions one finds among vetivers in fragrances more so than does the reality of provenance. Notice the way the use of vetiver is characterized in Frederic Malle's Editions de Parfums V
    étiver Extraordinaire created by Dominque Ropion: "Dominique Ropion introduces a new essence of Vetiver, stripped of its bitter edge, which he matches with five woody notes to play up the scent's various facets."

Since it is costly to produce and isolate vetiver compounds synthetically from non-natural sources because of their complexity, most components of vetiver are isolated from the actual vetiver oil itself, and specifically from the isolation of vetiverol, which itself contains a number of other consituents that can further be refined and isolated to produce further "vetiver effects." Vetiver oil, like most essential oils today, is hardly ever used neat in modern day perfurmery but, rather, becomes the starting point for other processes of refinement, extraction, and separation for production of odorant constituents, which are then used in specific fragrance applications. Since vetiver is relatively cheap to buy, the use of vetiver oil (mainly from Réunion, Java, and Haiti) as a starting point for the production of a host of "vetiver effects" is less a case of economic necessity as it is a case of consistency and readiness of supply and, of course, a case of the ability to achieve specific, managed, and, most importantly, consistent effects that might not otherwise be achievable from the natural oil given the vagaries of supply (fluctuations in weather, market prices, politics etc.).

Vetiver in modern day fragrances is one of the most chemically manipulated notes in use today and has been so ever since the late 1950s when, shortly thereafter, Guerlain, for example, used a more highly rectified vetiveryl acetate as the main vetiver constituent in Guerlain Vetiver. Vetiveryl acetate is derived from vetiver oil itself. According to chemist Bo Jensen (on his web site) "vetiveryl acetate, is created by acetylating the sesquiterpene alcohols presents in the oil. It has an elegant, soft, fruity-woody character", and not the smokey, burnt, rough and pungent initial quality that tends to generally dominate the unrefined oil before it begins to drydown.

The higher the vetiverol content of vetiver, the less smoky the vetiver will be.
    It also tends to be more rooty in nature than the vetiveryl acetate, so that more than likely, for example, MPG's Route de Vetiver probably contains significant quantities of vetiverol in proportion to vetiveryl acetate. Vetivone, another consituent of vetiver oil, is what gives some vetiver notes that rich deep woody peppery note.

With regard to provenance, Thai vetiver oil is a very refined naturally occuring oil that has a high vetiverol content, with little to no smokiness, while Chinese and Javanese vetiver oils tends to be of poorer quality and more smokey and musty.
    Haitian vetiver and Bourbon vetiver (from the island of Réunion) tend to be sweet and earthy and woody but also have a refined woody undertone and are much sought after as are certain Indian vetiver oils which have a woody balsamic note that is also much prized.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 9th October 2006 at 12:57 AM.

The vetiver note also differs depending on whether the note is extracted from the root or the leaves. Original Vetiver, for example, uses the oil/note extracted from the leaves, which is apparently a bit less earthy. Perhaps sentimental or pluran can elaborate on this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    The vetiver note also differs depending on whether the note is extracted from the root or the leaves. Original Vetiver, for example, uses the oil/note extracted from the leaves, which is apparently a bit less earthy. Perhaps sentimental or pluran can elaborate on this.
    In my researches on vetiver, I've never come across the practice of distilling vetiver oil from the leaves. From everything I've read, it is the roots that are used in the distillation of the oil. Is this actually claimed by Creed? I have no reason to doubt it if it is, but it's the first I've heard of such a process.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    In my researches on vetiver, I've never come across the practice of distilling vetiver oil from the leaves. From everything I've read, it is the roots that are used in the distillation of the oil. Is this actually claimed by Creed? I have no reason to doubt it if it is, but it's the first I've heard of such a process.

scentemental

I saw it written at the Neiman Marcus Creed site:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...index=5&cmCat=

Is there a difference in the smell when extracted from the leaves rather than the roots ?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I saw it written at the Neiman Marcus Creed site:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...index=5&cmCat=

Is there a difference in the smell when extracted from the leaves rather than the roots ?

I can't answer that because, so far, it seems only M. Creed knows the secret to this stated difference by the Neiman Marcus blurb.

I am sorry; I don't want to always be so skeptical re: Creed--I am actually sampling Original Vetiver today and enjoying it very much--but much of what one hears about Creed is always second hand and almost always unverifiable. It would have been a very good question to ask M. Creed had he decided to show up for the Basenotes interview. I would very much like to know the answer to this question. Sorry I can't help you out z...z...

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 8th October 2006 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

I can't answer that because, so far, it seems only M. Creed knows the secret to this stated difference by the Neiman Marcus blurb.

I am sorry; I don't want to always be so skeptical re: Creed--I am actually sampling Original Vetiver today and enjoying it very much--but much of what one hears about Creed is always second hand and almost always unverifiable. It would have been a very good question to ask M. Creed had he decided to show up for the Basenotes interview. I would very much like to know the answer to this question. Sorry I can't help you out z...z...

scentemental

Thats ok - your previous posts have provided much new info already.

One of the basenoters, zeram1, will be having a few minutes one on one with Erwin Creed sometime this November - perhaps he can find some time to squeeze this question in.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish
    I know this sounds like a dumb Q,but i cant sample a Vetiver.I see there is a Guerlain vetiver and a Creed Vetiver...is it like an oriental or aquatic or...?
    As others have said, there are many sources of Vetiver and they all smell slightly different depending on where they come from and how they are distilled.

I would be happy to send you a sample of pure Vetiver essential oil on a paper test strip if you would like to learn what it smells like. It comes from northern Indian wild vetiver roots and has been hydrodistilled rather than steam-distilled.

Just send an email to me at "perfumeinfo (at) tigerflag.com" and I can mail it to you.

Siri Amrit

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    Vetiver on its own is a very complex woody note. It is not technically *a* wood; it is the root of tropical grass that grows in countries like Haiti, Indonesia, etc. The roots grow very deep into the ground and are huge!
    The complex aroma of vetiver smells clean, dry, slightly "sour", earthy, woody. The scent varies from different origins - some are sweeter, some even smell a bit like maramite on their own (a particular yeast-spread that I believe most British people will know what it is!).

Vetiver roots are used also to create woven mats and blinds for the windows which are used in tropical countries to cool off the house. Especially when sprinkled with water, those vetiver mats release the vetiver aroma, and that scent has a cooling, refreshing effect.

Vetiver gets different interpretations in different vetiver soliflores. Most commonly, its clean woody aroma is complemented by citrus. If you smell different vetiver colognes to try to discern the aroma of vetiver alone, I suggest you try until the dry down, once all the other citrus and herbal supporting notes fade out, and you will get the idea after a while.

I had the 'pleasure' of having a sample of essential oil of vetiver thinned a bit with jojoba oil so I could put it on my skin safely. Assuming that the jojoba was odorless, I wasn't impressed. I remember actually recoiling back in shock when I sniffed it from the vial. The association that popped into my mind (and strangely, my stepson as well) was that scent left on your hand after catching fireflies. That weird musk, or whatever it is, they secrete. Either way, I prefer my vetiver well blended with other things thank you. I do love the stuff in the right composition.

Default Vetiver is not vetiver is not vetiver is not vetiver

I am starting this thread with two posts from the recent and current thread "Which Vetiver fragrances smell more vetiver?"

Both posts got me thinking of the need for a separate thread like the one I am about to post, which is why I didn't simply post to the abovementioned thread.

Here is the originating post:

Quote Originally Posted by abc1234 View Post
    I am a little confused. I searched this forum but didn't get much info. I'd like to get expert opinion from you guys.

I have following vetiver fragrances and they smell very different. I group them to four types:

(1) Vetiver by Guerlain
    Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    Encre Noire by Lalique

They are similar. I can tell they are from the same "source material". VE smells more purer, simpler, lighter and more refreshing. EN is similar to VE but more rounded and sophisticated, a tad sweeter.

(2) parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons
    Vetiver by Floris
    Completely different from group 1. I don't even get any hint of similarity between the two groups. This group smells very good in their own way, a tad sweeter, more aromatic.

(3) Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens
    Very sweet and intense. No similarity to the above two groups either.

(4) Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    So sharp it stings my nose! extremely bitter. Again, very different from above groups, although the dry down has a hint of Group 2.

===========================================

Personally, I like Group 1 the best. It has a sense of endless heavenly freshness. I enjoy Guerlain's smokey hint as well as the purity of VE.
    And here is the other post within the thread that got me thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Although some may find it appealing, "smokiness" in vetiver notes/oil is usually an indication of poor quality vetiver oil . . . .
    Actually it’s a little more involved that. Smokiness is not per se (as you rightly acknowledge zztopp with the word “usually”) a matter of quality; it's a matter of difference. The final woody green vetiver drydown of these "smoky" vetivers, distinctive in its own way, is just as beautiful and exalting as the best Reunion Vetiver. The smokiness, the earthiness, the dryness, etc, the great variability in the scent profile of vetivers, is a function of the nature of vetiver oils and depends on the part of the world in which the vetiver grass is grown and how it is distilled. That's the reality of the differential aromatic characteristics of different vetivers. It has less to do with the quality, and more to do with chemotype variability, which vetiver exhibits to a large degree. Quality has a lot more to do with how carefully the respective vetiver oils are processed and the conditions under which they are grown. Preference of one vetiver oil over another is more about subjective taste than it is about objective quality. I will admit though that smokiness is not a preference for a lot people, but that is a subjective valuation not an inherent aspect of the quality of the oil. As I pointed out in an earlier post, Profumum Fumidus is essentially not much more than aged Javanese Vetiver Oil, hence the formidable sharp biting gritty earthy smokiness on the top end, but the drydown is superb. There are some of us, and you can see this by reading the responses to Fumidus, who like this opening and enjoy the journey such a vetiver takes us on. I, for one, certainly do. Similar results are obtain in leather type fragrances with birch tar oil and a host of other odorants and many people seek these out, so while smokiness is not every body’s cup of tea, it is a quality in fragrances that is preferred, subjectively to be sure, but preferred nevertheless.

But more importantly, what lies behind the puzzlement of the thread’s title is the belief that many labor under that there is some kind or Ur-Vetiver oil out there against which all vetiver fragrances are to be measured. This is not how perfumers work nor how they operate with vetiver, which in terms of its use is one of the most widely elastic concepts/notes in perfumery. Perfumers use all different kinds of vetiver oils; most of the time, they are always rectified, sometimes they are not, and many times they use particular fractions of a particular vetiver oil, and sometimes those fractions are further modified, as in the case of the production of vetiveryl acetate, where the sesquiterpene alcohols present in vetiver oil are acetylated. Incidentally, the vetiver component of Guerlain’s Vetiver is predominantly vetiveryl acetate, and I believe it was one of the first instances, if not the first instance, in which vetiveryl acetate was introduced in perfumery. In other instances, perfumers use aromachemicals that have vetiver like qualities and this of course produces a broad spectrum of vetiver-like affects. This has to do with the nature of the different vetiver oils themselves, all of which contain a complex mixture of oxygenated sesquiterpenes that enables such elements to be removed and used for their rich, diverse, distinctive, and persistent aromatic qualities. Vetiver oil, therefore, cannot be synthesized because of this complex mixture of oxygenated sesquiterpenes, which is, aromatically and chemically speaking, too complex to be reproduced synthetically; instead, certain aromatic components of the oil are differentiated and separated through the distillation process and are further processed to achieve the required fragrance effects, and this is always done with the oil itself as a starting point since it is relatively cheap to produce. Finally, there are complex bases used regularly in the perfumery over the course of the last 50 years that have vetiver-like woody components to them, such as the cedarwood derived Vertofix® (acetyl cedrene). Vetiver along with cedarwood and sandalwood overlap on the woody part of the spectrum. To illustrate this point, if one smells some vetiveryl acetate neat, when the slightly pungent slightly smoky opening moves into the heart note, the heart note accord takes on a very santalaceous character, and it’s only in the basenotes component of the drydown where vetiveryl acetate begins to smell more vetiver-like, with that characteristic more green-woody exalting quality of the drydown of all vetivers.

And so we can see that the unproductive talk about what is the real vetiver or what is the superior vetiver leads to the perplexity which underpins the question "Which vetiver fragrances smell more like vetiver?" since it rests on a false and misinformed assumption that there is an Ur-Vetiver which is the benchmark for all vetiver fragrance. The circularity inherent in the question itself, as if the word vetiver itself were a sufficient guarantee to confirm and anchor the quiddity of a particular fragrance’s true “vetiveryness,” should make it clear that it’s not a valid question and that the such circularity takes us nowhere, adduced by the fact of the countless “Which vetiver fragrance is the best vetiver fragrance?” type of threads that never really add anything to our understanding of vetiver as a fragrance component.

This earlier post of mine—an explanation and defense as to why Lanvin Vetyver is as valid a “vetiver” fragrance as any other––explains a lot of what I have discussed above by taking a slightly different tack. I trust it is useful and relevant enough to justify its inclusion in this thread.

When we discover Guerlain's Vetiver, or L’Artisan's Vetiver, or Mazzolari Vetiver, etc., to take but a few examples, our first thought is “Ah ha! The potentially perfect vetiver fragrance”, and then, of course, most of the time we’re disappointed because another vetiver fragrance doesn’t smell exactly like the pure vetiver we imagine it should smell like or even like the vetiver note we like in one particular vetiver fragrance over another. If all of these houses wanted their vetiver fragrances to smell like pure vetiver oil, they could easily achieve this effect. They would simply find a supplier, standardize the vetiver oil product, very easy to do in the case of vetiver, and then rename their product Guerlain’s Pure and True Vetiver Oil, or L’Artisan’s Pure and True Vetiver Oil, or Mazzolari’s Pure and True Vetiver Oil, but even then, not all these vetivers would all smell the same, because it would depend on how the vetiver was standardized and what elements of its scent profile a company chose to emphasize over the other, telluric over fresh, grassy over rooty, etc. But they don’t all smell the same because fragrance houses are not in the business of producing and bottling essential oils. They’re fragrance houses, and as such vetiver, frequently functions as a idea, a concept, a possibility, a starting point for the art of creating perfumes/colognes, which are after all blends and, because, again, as we know, perfumery is not simply the distillation, mixing, and bottling of essential oils. If one doesn’t grasp this concept, one will be perennially disappointed at the next release of yet another vetiver fragrance because none of them will smell like its imagined ideal essential oil namesake or even like your favorite vetiver fragrance. Some vetiver namesake releases will have a more tangential relationship to the essential oil, which is the inspiration or the base behind the fragrance, and some will have a more direct relationship, but, all in all, they will not be carbon copies of natural essential oils or of the one particular vetiver blend you’re used to in some other fragrance house's vetiver invention.

And so we arrive at the defensible concept behind Lanvin Vetyver. Certainly it is a fragrance one has to apply liberally. I know there are many people who feel they shouldn't have to do such a thing, but that's just the nature of the juice. It’s a simple formula made up of only 14 different ingredients, 10 of which are raw; even the alcohol is natural. In some ways, I would imagine its constitution is very close to niche fragrances, and I dare say that if it were released by say L’Artisan Parfumeur more people would be willing to give it a fairer hearing/wearing than it gets. In the case of Lanvin Vetyver, I think the perfumer has chosen, in this instance, I think purposefully, to make it an understated scent with ingredients that don't project much. Yes, that’s a legitimate concept behind fragrance creation. If one doesn't have a preference for such fragrances, that doesn’t automatically disqualify them for others. Heavy spraying will bring out the reticent vetiver note significantly but only in the basenote accord, but I don't consider this a negative because I have always accepted that with this one the vetiver will always be in the background and integrated with the other elements of the fragrance. It’s absurd to claim there’s no vetiver in this one; it’s there all right, but it is very purposefully blended with the other elements so as not to be prominent. It's not supposed to be prominent, despite it’s name. It is important to remember that vetiver is considered an almost universal blender when it comes to fragrances. Even in Vétiver Extraordinaire, which has one of the highest proportions of vetiver found in any fragrance, I believe, vetiver still only forms 25% of the perfume formula. If one stays attuned to the reticent quality of the vetiver in Lanvin Vetyver and one carries the fragrance around with one all day, a benefit of liberal application, at certain times one will catch intimations of the vetiver note that are very satisfying and really quite beautiful, but, of course, in a very understated and blended way. This is the notion, as I see it, of the vetiver in Lanvin Vetyver. For me, it's a valid notion, and it's worth the liberal spraying and the price of a bottle, which is very reasonable. Whether the fragrance is justified in being called Lanvin Vetyver is another question. It does set up false expectations and potential disappointment for those who like their vetiver strong and edgy.

Finally--and using an extended metaphor for illustration--there are some of us who prefer the substantial flavors of say Indian cuisine, the flavors of a rich vindaloo curry say, for example, and there are some of us who prefer the subtlety of Japanese food, which hardly ever strays away from the ethos that understatement is the basis of much intensity, if one, of course, is predisposed to finer and finer discriminations as the Japanese certainly are. Then there are some of us who prefer the middle way of Asian flavors, say as developed in Vietnamese cuisine or certain dishes in Thai cuisine or even in authentic Chinese cuisine. Then there are some of us that like all variations, subtle and not so subtle. I don't see that it's any different with vetiver fragrances. I would urge a little caution when someone is denigrating other vetivers because of one’s preference for one modulation of a vetiver fragrance over another. One might just be showing their particular preference, which is all well and fine but that does mean the world of enjoyment for others stops there. Oh, BTW, Lanvin Vetyver makes for a great office scent or for when you're sitting in close proximity to other people and don't what to overwhelm them with your fragrance. It's one of my "committee meeting" fragrances. This is a practical justification of why fragrances like Lanvin Vetyver exist, but, I like to think, not the only one.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 17th May 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: Vetiver is not vetiver is not vetiver is not vetiver

As always, an interesting and informative post. I find myself reading multiple times to make sure I understand the points you make. My serious lack of knowledge on extraction techniques leaves some of what you've said beyond my understanding, but exposure to the variations in producing the components of the fragrances we admire is valuable nonetheless. You have made an incredible investment in understanding the composition and production of perfume. I hope you find the time to memorialize what you've learned not only for our current crop of Basenoters, but for those who will follow.

Nice piece, Scentemental. I know exactly what you mean about vetiveryl acetate-- every time I tried to familiarize myself with it, I was thinking that there must have been a labelling mistake. It smelled much more like wood than vetiver.

On the subject of Lanvin Vetiver, I own a bottle of it and wear it sometimes when I just want to shift gears and wear something "average". What bothers me about Lanvin Vetiver is that the topnotes smell, to me, like a certain kind of Lysol air freshener that sits in my bathroom. However I do like the drydown much more, and it's nice when it settles.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    [COLOR=Blue]I
    [COLOR=Blue]

When we discover Guerlain's Vetiver, or L’Artisan's Vetiver, or Mazzolari Vetiver, etc., to take but a few examples, our first thought is “Ah ha! The potentially perfect vetiver fragrance”, and then, of course, most of the time we’re disappointed because another vetiver fragrance doesn’t smell exactly like the pure vetiver we imagine it should smell like or even like the vetiver note we like in one particular vetiver fragrance over another. If all of these houses wanted their vetiver fragrances to smell like pure vetiver oil, they could easily achieve this effect. They would simply find a supplier, standardize the vetiver oil product, very easy to do in the case of vetiver, and then rename their product Guerlain’s Pure and True Vetiver Oil, or L’Artisan’s Pure and True Vetiver Oil, or Mazzolari’s Pure and True Vetiver Oil, but even then, not all these vetivers would all smell the same, because it would depend on how the vetiver was standardized and what elements of its scent profile a company chose to emphasize over the other, telluric over fresh, grassy over rooty, etc. But they don’t all smell the same because fragrance houses are not in the business of producing and bottling essential oils. They’re fragrance houses, and as such vetiver, frequently functions as a idea, a concept, a possibility, a starting point for the art of creating perfumes/colognes, which are after all blends and, because, again, as we know, perfumery is not simply the distillation, mixing, and bottling of essential oils. If one doesn’t grasp this concept, one will be perennially disappointed at the next release of yet another vetiver fragrance because none of them will smell like its imagined ideal essential oil namesake or even like your favorite vetiver fragrance. Some vetiver namesake releases will have a more tangential relationship to the essential oil, which is the inspiration or the base behind the fragrance, and some will have a more direct relationship, but, all in all, they will not be carbon copies of natural essential oils or of the one particular vetiver blend you’re used to in some other fragrance house's vetiver invention.
    scentemental
    Well said Scentemental, and this para in particular I find intriguing (and I have seen you make this point before). It's related to what I was asking in my "What is perfumery?" thread which sank without a trace http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ight=perfumery
    Last edited by zztopp; 7th March 2009 at 05:38 PM.
    -

As usual, really helpful and interesting. Thanks, scentemental.

Basenotes Institution

Very well said scentemental. Vetiver fans (like me) thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Very well said scentemental. Vetiver fans (like me) thank you.
    Ditto.

Thanks scentemental, the way I now understand it (in my simple terms) vetiver for a perfumer is more a pallate as opposed to a narrow target.

Bravo, Scentemental. A very informative and scholarly addition to the forum archives. If it weren't for the conversational tone that you used (for obvious reasons), I would suggest that you ask Grant to post it in article format on the BN homepage. It's too good to watch it sink into the forum depths.

I agree that the search for an "Ur-Vetiver" is pointless for the reasons you described, but I think it's still useful to try to define a common element that threads through all vetiver fragrances, i.e a touchstone vetiver, if you will. Or perhaps, as you imply, the chemotype variations in vetivers may make this impossible, just as the citrus bouquet of salvia elegans could never be confused with salvia officinalis nor a common note be found to bridge the two.

I do know that I appreciate vetiver in all its guises, although I prefer the clean, grassy variieties to the smoky ones.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 7th March 2009 at 11:23 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for a very interesting post, Scentemental!
    I love cologne.

Great read, really. With so much variation among vetiver fragrances, there simply cannot be an 'ideal' vetiver, and you eloquently describe why.

Cool Re: Vetiver is not vetiver is not vetiver is not vetiver

Thanks, Scentemental.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Thanks scentemental. That's a great write up. I will have to admit it is a little too profound for a simple dude like me.

From reading other people's comments, I got an impression that different vetiver fragrances use different kind of 'source material', such as vetivers grown from different region or juice extracted from different part of vetiver ( root, leaf, etc.). Hence the major difference in smelling. You opened a new dimension that each perfumery uses different kind of techniques to blend in the vetiver oil. All in all, I kinda understand they SHOULD smell differently by design.

------

A guy approached to Prof. Albert Einstein after his seminar about Relativity and said, ' Sir, Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level.'.

------
    Last edited by abc1234; 8th March 2009 at 10:20 AM.

Interesting your observations on Lanvin's Vetyver - which I've always thought an odd scent because of the numerous timers I've sprayed on heaps of it, and wondered where the vetiver is. Yes, I do notice it some time later, but it certainly isn't what one would expect of a scent labelled with vetiver/vetyver on it.

Any thoughts on the much maligned Azzaro Pure Vetiver, whiich only a handful seem to like around here? I've always thought of it as a vetiver version of Chrome.
    Renato

After reading this thread yesterday, I wore Lanvin Vetyver to reassess my opinion of it. After a half hour, I started to get a lot of vetiver out of it. And it was different from most vetivers. Really good, actually. Once the air freshener topnotes start to break up, it starts to feel very natural and works very well in melding with the wearer's skin.

Thanks for sharing.. I enjoyed it!

Wonderful post and I agree this should be placed in some kind of reference library, together with other highly informative threads.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.