Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Best vetiver

Default Vetiver

I tried Guerlain's Vetiver a couple of days ago and really liked it. I know it's a controversial scent, but how is it compared to other vetivers? I also like, and bought, Kenzoair, which has some vetiver in it. I would like to try Annick Goutal's vetiver, but would have to go blind on that one. Is it "safe"? I'm also curious about Azzaro's vetiver, but have not located any samples. Where should I go next in my vetiver quest?

Default Re: Vetiver

Hi,
    I have 2 favourites with vetiver.The first is from Annick Goutal.It has overtones of freshly cut cucumber and ocean air.It´s very different from other vetivers. I love it and think it´s the best..... alongside vetiver from
    the spanish firm Aldofo Dominguez. If you know of anyone travelling to Spain ask them to bring you back a bottle. These are my 2 favourites. Close third is vetiver from the firm Carven, (you can usually find this fairly cheap at airports)
    Forget Azzaro vetiver, it´s rubbish.
    Best Wishes,
    David
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by david
    Hi,
    I have 2 favourites with vetiver.The first is from Annick Goutal.It has overtones of freshly cut cucumber and ocean air.It´s *very different from other vetivers. I love it and think it´s *the best..... alongside vetiver from
    the spanish firm Aldofo Dominguez. If you know of anyone travelling to Spain ask them to bring you back a bottle. These are my 2 favourites. Close third is vetiver from the firm Carven, (you can usually find this fairly cheap at airports)
    *David
    Now, Carven always used to be my favourite. The revamp of recent years has rather altered its character, somehow. Its sweeter now and not as long lasting. But I would still recommend it.

My new favourite (and my next purchase I think) is Original Vetiver by Creed. A new scent (2004) but with all the Creed tradition behind it. Very fresh, green and long lasting. The dry down seemed a little like Green Irish Tweed (another favourite of mine).

Trot

i second trot's recommendation .. creed original vertiver ... legendary ...

Scott

Its hard to to tell you something is safe and feel comfortable. I will say this one
    is one of the best for ME I have tried. I like the peek-a-boo rose on this one too.
    Vétiver (1981)
    by Annick Goutal

a few more...

Another one would be the very smooth
    Vétyver Oriental (2002)
    by Serge Lutens

Last two...
    Racine (1988)
    by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Route du Vétiver (1988) *
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

C
    CG

Dependent

I like the Guerlain a lot too. It's definitely got the vetiver in it but also a lot of lemon and other stuff going on. I'd second Route du Vetiver and also suggest Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire for very true quality vetivers. Creed's is certainly good. I find the licorice note in Vetiver Oriental to not complement the vetiver as well as one might hope. I was not impressed by either the Carven or the Azzaro vetiver products.

Here is a word of caution:
    Don't buy Route de Vetiver blind for it is quite rough and down-to-earth vetiver.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by lagloriacubana
    I tried Guerlain's Vetiver a couple of days ago and really liked it. I know it's a controversial scent, but how is it compared to other vetivers? I also like, and bought, Kenzoair, which has some vetiver in it. I would like to try Annick Goutal's vetiver, but would have to go blind on that one. Is it "safe"? I'm also curious about Azzaro's vetiver, but have not located any samples. Where should I go next in my vetiver quest?
    Be FOREWARNED! Try out a sample of Annick Goutal Vetiver before you buy it. I have no good words for this. Something of the burmese spices and salt with rooty vetiver knocked me out. None of the beautiful earthy smell. Avoid Azzaro, very synthetic, musky and useless. Other ones I have sampled --

Creed OV: Vetiver leaf instead of the root. Similar to eaux de Colognes with vetiver and sandalwood. Not true vetiver (ie leaf instead of root). Probably the freshest "vetiver" scent.

Hermes Vetiver Tonka: Vanilla and vetiver weaving in and out. Interesting take on the vetiver. Be careful, could be cloying due to the vanilla.

Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental: Same theme as the Hermes one (though it came out earlier), the earthy/rooty vetiver balanced by sweet and spices. More wearable than the Hermes one since the vetiver is muted and it is the vetiver leaves instead of the root.

L'Occitance Vetyver: Beautiful perfume. The spice (nutmeg) and citrus is in a similar vein to Guerlain and this one and very beautifully balanced perfume. Recommended.

Etro Vetiver: Ditto as Annick Goutal very dry vetiver. Though it has less of the spice and salt nonsense which destroys the AG vetiver.

Lorenzo Villerosi: Interesting Herbal vetiver combination. In addition, has the trademark cedar, incense, mint. I think I smelt tomato leaf. Very green vetiver rendition.

Gendarme V (Vetiver): The only animalic vetiver (civet) I know of. However competes with Creed OV in freshness. The civet can be offputting at first. So wait for the drydown. Continues the clean gendarme tradition with a bit of florals thrown in.

MPG Route De Vetiver: Phenomenal take on vetiver. If you have uprooted a vetiver root this is how you felt. This is the purest vetiver with all supporting cast root-like too. Recommended for pure vetiver lovers. Be warned, the Guerlain vetiver is very light.

Others that seem interesting, but I haven't tried
    FM Vetiver Extraordinaire
    SMN Vetiver

-S
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Now you've put the fear of God in him...
    Now I'm even afraid to buy it again...
    (just kidding, moment of weakness)
    However, you are right to sample first, after all you would not
    want to be a hasty heart... :exclamation
    C
    CG

I love Guerlain Vetiver. I find the Carven Vetiver to be extremely weak, more of an Acqua de Vetiver. I find the Annick Goutal Vetiver to be extremely strong and harsh, I do not like it and would not recommend buying this blind.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Serpent

Vétiver by Annick Goutal is my absolute favorite vetiver scent. I've struggled with vetiver scents and have tried a bunch of them: Carven, Serge Lutens, Frédéric Malle, Guerlain, Lanvin, the Hermessence version, Creed. I had a bottle of the Guerlain Vetiver, but it didn't suit me at all. It really should be called "Lemon" by Guerlain. I like it, but it's not me. But the Goutal Vétiver is just mind-blowingly good. It has seaweed for this wonderful bilious, oceanic greenness and a salty note. There's a strange mineral quality, too, that gives it the smell of tequila. The citrus is wonderfully sweet with the sour, unlike in most vetiver scents, and the vetiver grounds it all beautifully. It smells like a big margarita to me, with the salt and tequila and citrus. It's a big, boozy, sweet green scent, very unique, great for the summertime, easily the most fun vetiver scent ever. Most vetiver scents are grim and very reserved and business-like, but Goutal's has a sense of humor and is relaxed, ready for a trip to the beach. It's a good barefoot vetiver. I highly recommend it.

I had a bottle of the Guerlain Vetiver, but it didn't suit me at all. It really should be called "Lemon" by Guerlain.
    You must be referring to the new formulation. The old formulation is bergamot and vetiver but hardly any lemon.

Creed's original Vetiver is nice. It's also laughably overprice for what it's trying to do. I realy hope their new one does something different. I have a well documented problem with Vetiver. I try to like it, but it just never seems to work out. That being said there is on scent that does everything right for this note. It's Frederic Malle's/Ropion's Vetiver Extraordinaire. I will repost the previous review I put up before when I get home, but the scent is nothign short of brilliant. It carries a hefty tag but is worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by lagloriacubana
    lagloria,

I own only 2 vetivers: Guerlain and Annick Goutal. Between the 2, I defeinitely favor AG more.

Hope this helps.
    tuco

My favorite is L'Occitane.

I am wishy-washy on Guerlain. Sometimes it is excellent, sometimes blah.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Floris Elite is another fragrance I like that has a significant vetiver note. Has anyone tried Floris Vetiver?

I agree with the previous recommendations of L'Occitane Vetyver. Great stuff.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I wear the pure essential oil these days. I also like Adolfo Dominguez, MPG Racine and Guerlain's Vetiver.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Guerlain's version is the closest thing I have to a signature scent. The vetiver quotient in it is subdued, however, compared to others.

For an "extreme" vetiver, I second MPG's Route du Vetiver. Anyone with an interest in vetiver should try it because I think it comes closest to what I would imagine raw vetiver would smell like. Someone (Mike_C I believe) once described it as "vetiver red in tooth and claw" -- you have been warned! I much prefer MPG's Racine which doesn't stint on the vetiver component, but yet somehow makes it refined and elegant at the same time.

Villoresi's Vetiver is also quite nice. Herbal and pungent with the trademark LV botanical brew.

Cheers,
    Bob

I'll have to second Serp's dismay over Guerlain's. It is more like a citrus at this point. The tobacco is the highlight for me with this one.

Original Vetiver is nice, but then again, if I wanted to wear Thierry Mugler Cologne, of which it is a clone, IMHO, I would just wear that at probably 1/3 the price. Original Vetiver has a much shorter duration to boot.

For a pure vetiver I would probably try to get my hands around Goutal - it is really close to the EO but surprisingly wearable.

L'Occitane Vetyver remains my favorite, but it is really a blend with Vetiver only being one component, and not the most prominent one at times. You really have to wait until the drydown with this puppy.

I might spring for CM Vetiver blind since it is on sale.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Some time ago there was a discussion about vetivers. Search for it.

In case you do not like to search, here`s the list:
    Pure Vetiver Azzaro (2000), Racine Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (Jean Francois Laporte), Route du Vetiver Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier (Jean Francois Laporte), Un Air de Java Decleor (Pierre Bourdon, 2000), Vetiver Annick Goutal (Annick Goutal, 1981), Vetiver Carven (1957), Vetiver ETRO (1989), Vetiver Floris (2000), Vetiver Guerlain (Jean-Paul Guerlain, 1959, 2000), Vetiver L'Artisan Parfumeur (Jean Francois Laporte, 1978), Vetiver Lorenzo Villoresi (Lorenzo Villoresi, 1994), Vetiver Santa Maria Novella, Vetiver Extraordinaire Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle (Dominique Ropion, 2002), Vetiver Hombre Adolfo Dominguez (1998), Vetiver Oriental Serge Lutens Palais Royal Shiseido (Christopher Sheldrake, 2002), Vetyver L'Occitane (Olivier Baussane, 2001), Vetiver ElizabethW, Wilde Vetiver Grandiflorum (1997), Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver Carolina Herrera (2001), Vetyver Black Coffee Jo Malone (2003), Zeelyony Vetiver Novaya Zarya (2000), Vetiver des Sables Montale (2003), Vetiver Tonka Hermes (2004), Baladin Patricia Nicolai, Vetiver Creed (1948), KenzoAir (2004).
    Bayrhum Vetiver Creed
    Eau de Vetyver Le Galion (1969) discontinued
    Eau de Vetyver Yves Rocher (1982) discontinued
    Imperial Vetyver Yardley (1996) discontinued
    Vetiver Arran Aromatics
    Vetiver Carlo Corinto
    Vetiver Perlier
    Vetiver Roger & Gallet
    Vetiver Bourbon Mavive Classics (2003)
    Vetivert Hove Parfumeur
    Vetyver Jo Malone (1995)
    Vetyver Haiti Comptoir Sud Pacifique (1977)
    Vetyver Lanvin (1964, 2003)
    Vetiver Dry Carven discontinued
    Bois de Vetiver Bogart (1982) discontinued
    Vettiveru Serie 4: Colognes Comme des Garcons (2002)
    Vetiver Antonio Puig (1978)
    Vetiver Demeter Fragrance Library (2000)
    Vetiver Givenchy (1959) discontinued
    Vetiver and Rum Helan
    Vetiver Piver LT (1991)
    Malizia Uomo Vetiver Mirato
    Eau de Vetiver Rance
    Vetiver Roccobarocco
    Eau de Vetiver Le Jardin Retrouve (Yury Gutsatz, 2000)
    Vetyver et Vanille Le Jardin Retrouve (Yury Gutsatz, 2000)
    Fresco di Vetiver i Profumi Firenze
    Vetiver Original Creed (2004)
    Vetyver by Compagnia Delle Indie
    Vetiver pour Femme Guerlain
    Vetiver Glacee Guerlain
    Vetyvert Madini
    Vetiver Mazzolari
    Vetiver Cote Bastide
    Vetiver Speziali Fiorentini

I tried some of those. I love them all (except ElizabethW, Azzaro and Lanvin, which are not true vetivers)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

My exposure to vetiver started almost a decade ago when I happened upon some small containers of Van Cleef & Arpels at a TJ Maxx store that happened to be adjacent and behind the building wherein I became employed. It was those lunchtime strolls that re-ignited a long dormant interest in scent. Well, dormant as for wearing since I was an obsessive incense burner. The vetiver element became more apparent to me with a year or so familiarity with VC&A Homme and I often notice the connection walking the dog through the wilds of the nearby river. It smells more of the fresh weedy green to me than it does of monyed formality.

Next along came Guerlain Vetiver around five years ago thanks to the diligent attention to me from a Perfumania salesman. It was summer and I was struggling to find an appropriate number for the season. I ran through a bottle that year. I revisited GV recently and enjoyed it. Glad I kept it.

I have two of the good ones: Original Vetiver and Route du Vetiver.

RdV hooked me from first sniff. Stunningly real and natural, I seem to smell it often stalking through the woods, some fragrance or other wafting off me and mixing with the sturdy green liveliness around me. Just had to have it.

Original Vetiver. I make my case: Any resemblance between this and the Mugler stuff is purely coincidental, both making use of a well established tradition, and the differences are enormous. Mugler opens startlingly refreshing and clean only to fade off quickly and turn nasty, synthetic, ubiquitous sweet designer crap and even that doesn't last and could be any of dozens of others. OV stays true and develops nicely into a Creed with typical new Creed notes of Mysore sandal, ambergris, ginger, and musk. Perhaps the vetiver here is genuine and fixes since it does remain shimmering on into the dry down. As for the price, full retail for any Creed borders upon the ridiculous for me, lowlife that I am, but at $87 for a full 4 oz bottle, OV is one of the best deals around.

Creed's Vetivert Original, or Frederic Malle's Vetivert extraordinare are my faves.

FM Vetiver Extraordinaire was my first ever blind purchase in 2004 due to the comments on this board....AMAZING fragrance. For a classy, refreshing, versatile fragrance, it has to be Creed OV. Wore it on my wedding day last year [smiley=happy.gif]

Lovers of 'the lemon' in Guerlains Vetiver might want to test 'One' by HannesB, Switzerland which has even more of it. Nice, as the days get hotter.

And:.... 'Lastly, Guerlain has just released what they call VETIVER POUR ELLE which is basically the pour lui with a touch of added jasmine. It smells wonderful. In its infinite wisdom, Guerlain wants to sell it only in duty-free shops and for a limited time, so take a cheap flight to somewhere interesting and get it.' (Luca Turin in ...perfume_notes/grassroots) Does anybody know this one? Yasmin and V sounds good!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

My top two vetivers are:

1) FM - Vetiver Extraordinaire
    2) L'Artisan - Vetiver

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is my favourite vetiver, followed by Guerlains.
    Etro Vetiver is a bit rougher than Lorenzo's.

Carvens is a citrusy vetiver, and is pretty weak, unless you spray it on, wait half a minute, then spray exactly over where you sprayed before. You use it up twice as quickly, but it doesn't cost much. It's never been much liked around here, but I think it's okay for summer.

Azzaro's Pure Vetiver isn't like your standard vetiver. More like a version of Chrome with a few notes stripped out and replaced with vetiver.
    Lanvin's vetiver is in the same boat.

A cheap Italian scent called Malazia Uomo is found in among the cheap and copy scents down here, rather than with the proper designer ones. But it's a pretty good long lasting vetiver scent. It often comes bundled with aftershave splash or balm or gel. Avoid the gel, it stings a lot, without giving any useful scent for your trouble.
    Renato

barrister98

my first exposure to vetiver was Guerlain ... (another fragrance I really wanted to like) but IMHO it's an acquired taste but infinitely more affordable than Creed's OV (although I'll reserve comment since I haven't personally sampled this one)

Chaps what about the vetiver which has been discontinued by Carven?

I recently ordered a huge bottle blind? Turin did mention (in the Luca Turin Blog) that the experts rated this as a second tie with Guerlain's original vetiver (now discontinued).

If my memory serves me right, It was described by Turin as fresh & carefree.

What should I expect?
    Let your nose be your pilot

Fitofox

I don't like it.
    Vetiver produces me headache