Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best vetiver

Default Re: Best vetiver

Years ago someone asked me if I was wearing a Vetiver fragrance. I had never heard of it. I was a loyal customer of a fragrance named Victory from a men's clothing store called Harold's. They stopped carrying Victory and I have been on a search ever since for that fragrance. I actually have a bottle of Victory with about 1/8 inch left - must be 20 years old and it still smells great. I know I can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and match paint. Anywhere I can go to match this old Victory to a current brand?

My favorite is L’Artisan if I could find it. Carven and Creed are good.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    I can't say which is the best one out there, but I can say which is the best vetiver I've ever (wordplay) smelled and that is Creed Original Vetiver.
    It has become a fav of mine too, I used to hate it now I love it. My favorite is the 1948 vetiver by creed but they no longer make it so I use their new one and I love L'Occitane vetiver too even though that one is no longer made either from what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner45 View Post
    Years ago someone asked me if I was wearing a Vetiver fragrance. I had never heard of it. I was a loyal customer of a fragrance named Victory from a men's clothing store called Harold's. They stopped carrying Victory and I have been on a search ever since for that fragrance. I actually have a bottle of Victory with about 1/8 inch left - must be 20 years old and it still smells great. I know I can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and match paint. Anywhere I can go to match this old Victory to a current brand?

My favorite is L’Artisan if I could find it. Carven and Creed are good.
    While in law school and even some after, I worked at Harolds..Harold Powell in some cities. I remember that fragrance. That was, and always will be, one of the best men's stores out there. Started in Oklahoma, spread all over Texas and ended up in many southern cities. Too bad they had to shut down their business 2 years back.

As for Vetivers. The only ones I can say I love are

Encre Noir
    Vettiveru
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

It used to be Annick GoutalŽs Vetiver..... then I discovered a bottle of vintage Lanvin Vetiver. Absolutely NOTHING to to with the new version. The vintage version is a magical mixture of vetiver and verviene, which works brilliantly.It is a live beast of of a fragrance which changes and evolves constantly...........then I discovered a vintage bottle of Vetiver from Gallion. This is simply the sexiest, dirtiest vetiver on this planet. Very potent, sultry stuff. Smells of wet earth and fresh beetroot, in a word, DIRTY.

You must be a Sooner then

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    While in law school and even some after, I worked at Harolds..Harold Powell in some cities. I remember that fragrance. That was, and always will be, one of the best men's stores out there. Started in Oklahoma, spread all over Texas and ended up in many southern cities. Too bad they had to shut down their business 2 years back.

As for Vetivers. The only ones I can say I love are

Encre Noir
    Vettiveru
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Harold's was a great store. I think the first one was on Campus Corner in Norman. It was the only store I shopped for many years. I found out that Victory was marketed by a leather supplier out of NYC, don't recall the name. I did contact them and would have purchased all their remaining Victory but they had none. Anyone know how you could find out who made it?

I'm sure there is a way to find out. Actually I'm from Ft. Worth and a Horned Frog. Worked in one of the Houston stores though.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Encre Noire is the Best

Guerlain Vetiver- classic, timeless stylishness
    Creed OV- crisp and natural, yet expensive-smelling soapiness
    Lanvin Vetiver- very fresh, light and versatile

these are my top 5

1. Creed vetiver 1948: This was the first love in the vetiver world. I tried many including Guerlain and they could not compare. This one is more of a traditional smell, mineraly, masculine but fresh. Love it. Have two bottles of it and lots of decants. A damn shame that it is no longer made. My favorite vetiver.

2. L'occitane: With the pepper, and leather mixed with the vetiver root and wood makes this fragrance a bit darker and more mature. I think this is a sexy vetiver that can be worn with a tux. This is a vetiver 007 would wear in my opinion.

3. Creed Original vetiver: This one grew on me, I used to hate it and now I love it. The light, bright, soapy and fresh mixture is great for daytime. To me it is sophisitcated as well as fresh which can be hard to pull off. I like this more than green irish tweed at the moment and to think this was one of my least favorite Creeds. My nose has come a long way and I feel I can appreciate vetiver finally.

4. Vetiver Extraordinare by Frederic Malle: This is a great fragrance, some say it is too dark and strong but on me it is about medium in the power department. Great all year round vetiver with a nice dose of wood. Masculine, a bit woodsy and fresh very few vetivers can top this bad boy. Dominique Ropion knew what he was doing when he made this. I think this fragrance will be considered one of the best vetivers ever made. You cannot go wrong in trying this. Even though the absolute end of the drydown is a bit odd does not destroy what the opening , the middle and the intro of the drydown have done. I will buy this in the near future.

5. Vetiver tonka by Hermes: I heard about this like crazy, even though it is not my favorite vetiver I will admit it is not bad. You get the vetiver freshness but with some sweetness from the tonka bean but it is not over the top. It still keeps its fresh edge. One should definitely try it out.
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 14th October 2010 at 12:45 AM.

Blog Entries

creed vetiver 1948 is still for sale at creed store in the city i just got 8.4 once of it love it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    these are my top 5

1. Creed vetiver 1948: This was the first love in the vetiver world. I tried many including Guerlain and they could not compare. This one is more of a traditional smell, mineraly, masculine but fresh. Love it. Have two bottles of it and lots of decants. A damn shame that it is no longer made. My favorite vetiver.

2. L'occitane: With the pepper, and leather mixed with the vetiver root and wood makes this fragrance a bit darker and more mature. I think this is a sexy vetiver that can be worn with a tux. This is a vetiver 007 would wear in my opinion.

3. Creed Original vetiver: This one grew on me, I used to hate it and now I love it. The light, bright, soapy and fresh mixture is great for daytime. To me it is sophisitcated as well as fresh which can be hard to pull off. I like this more than green irish tweed at the moment and to think this was one of my least favorite Creeds. My nose has come a long way and I feel I can appreciate vetiver finally.

4. Vetiver Extraordinare by Freederic Malle: This is a great fragrance, some say it is too dark and strong but on me it is about medium in the power department. Great all year round vetiver with a nice dose of wood. Masculine, a bit woodsy and fresh very few vetivers can top this bad boy. Dominique Ropion knew what he was doing when he made this. I think this fragrance will be considered one of the best vetivers ever made. You cannot go wrong in trying this. Even though the absolute end of the drydown is a bit odd does not destroy what the opening , the middle and the intro of the drydown have done. I will buy this in the near future.

5. Vetiver tonka by Hermes: I heard about this like crazy, even though it is not my favorite vetiver I will admit it is not bad. You get the vetiver freshness but with some sweetness from the tonka bean but it is not over the top. It still keeps its fresh edge. One should definitely try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bjork728 View Post
    creed vetiver 1948 is still for sale at creed store in the city i just got 8.4 once of it love it!!!
    good show man!! it is a great great vetiver, get it while you still can they shut down production. My favorite and the one that got me into vetiver. If it weren't for that one I probably would never have gotten into vetiver.

For me, Vetiver Extraordinaire hands down.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    For me, Vetiver Extraordinaire hands down.

Regards,
    Steve
    I have grown to like it, I thought it was nice at first but over time I loved it more and more. Drydown is a bit strange but after a while it is not that bad.

All the best vetivers have been mentioned in this thread and some great posts have been left here. But, my devotion to research of this note beckons me to respond. I owe at least a response to the vetiver.

These are all really good vetiver scents. You just have try em and pick your favorite.

Best essentially vetiver fragrances:
    Sel d' Vetiver by The Different Co. - I am always uplifted by this glorious mix of vetiver and ocean notes.
    Villoresi Vetiver - roots and dirt vetiver.
    Encre Noire by Lalique - gothic vetiver and it is dark.
    Givenchy Vetyver - dry, crisp, the very best simple vetiver.
    Mugler Cologne - soapy, green and very fresh.
    Annick Goutal Vetiver - dark, salty and brooding.

The next best vetiver fragrances I've had:
    Vetiver Extraordinaire - a very good vetiver.
    Guerlain Vetiver - a nice sweet pleasant vetiver with a touch of tobacco. I finished my first one in "67, but I think the new version is better (imo).
    Corinto Vetiver - a green woodsy vetiver.
    CDG Vettiveru - the best simple and pure vetiver.
    Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris - fantastic dark haitian vetiver.
    Underworld by Liz Zorn/ Soivohle - dark but sensual.
    Bois d' Orage by Frederic Malle - a vetiver hybrid that is very earthy and green.
    Villoresi Uomo - a lavender and rosemary vetiver incense type of scent.
    Vetiver 46, Le Labo - a woody incense vetiver scent.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 14th October 2010 at 02:30 AM.

One that has not been mentioned is Lubin's Vetyver. I liked it very much.
    The new L'Artisan may become a favorite. I liked it on initial testing, but need to try it again.
    Evenstar

Encre Noire.

so far, I have tried Guerlain, Encre Noire, Frederic Malle, CDG Vettiveru, Tom Ford Grey, Chanel Sycamore, Givenchy Vetiver. My choices (for buying a bottle) have come down to Tom Ford Grey and Guerlain. All others are "unclean" to my taste. Dark, brooding, whatever. I can appreciate the dark complexity of others, buy not something that I would wear!

My two favorites are Guerlain Vetiver and Givenchy Vetiver.

AromiErotici

Corinto Vetyver is my choice.

LV Vetiver for its earthiness and complexity.
    MPG Route du Vetiver for its delightful harshness (pre-reformulation).
    Givenchy Vetyver for the smooth nuttiness that others have mentioned.
    Profumum Fumidus for its vetiver and Islay scotch combo. Someday I may actually shell out the dough for a FB.
    Encre Noir for reminding me that I loved ink pens as a child. It smells like vetiver and ink.

I wear Guerlain Vetiver on hot weather. I find it really unisex.
    Roger&Gallet is pleasantly refreshing too, although lighter.
    I have tried Encre Noire and although it is in a whole different vein, I find it wonderful. Might purchase a full bottle of it.

Socalwoman, thanks for posting the Martin Ching reviews. They're very enlightening and will probably save me a lot of time while trying out vetivers.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Vetiver Tonka Hermes
    Sycomore Chanel
    Vetiver Oriental Serge Lutens

If you like vetiver as a sort of "signature" note then the following would work very well as you Transistion from season to season:

ENRE NOIRE = Winter into Spring (still cold) - doesn't work well in the deepest of winter because there is no sweetness. As many have said, it is a dark, wet, brooding scent that has a hint of green. This scent makes me think of ruins in an overgrown forrest. There is an ancientness about this scent that I find fascinating.

TOM FORD GREY VETIVER = Spring into light summer - I think the transition from Encre Noire to Grey Vetiver is seamless. Grey Vetiver just tones the darkness and smokiness down and the soapy green up.

I haven't found my summer and winter vetivers yet but am heavily looking into The Different Companies "Sel De Vetiver" for summer.

Terre D'Hermes - Summer transition into Fall - not technically a full "vetiver" but it is the best I have right now.

Winter?

The vetiver against which all vetivers are measured, in other words, the standard in vetivers is without a doubt the original Vetiver by Guerlain, no matter what people say, it is THE vetiver. Unfortunately it was reformulated and today's Vetiver by Guerlain, although still a damn good vetiver, is not what it used to be.
    But my favorite is one nobody have mentioned yet, maybe because it had a very short life and was discontinued so fast that if you blinked, you lost it. I am refering at Indian Vetiver by Bath and Body Works.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 12th January 2011 at 02:27 AM.

An underrated one is Miller Harris - Vetiver Bourbon. This one is hard to find but it really is one of my favorite vetiver fragrances.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I prefer the more lively younger lemony and oily vetivers. With that said. Some of my favorites are Sycomore, Bois Blonds, Encre Noire, Grey Vetiver, Paul Smith Story (ya I said it).

My personal favorites: Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire and Lalique Encre Noire.

My personal favorites are Guerlain Vetiver & Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver

Little known, discontinued and very hard to find - but really worth tracking down . Vetyver from Galion. A beautiful sultry vetiver.
    Earthy, beetrooty, dewy, sexy and dirty. Fantastic longtivity. Nothing comes close.
    Runners up : Annick Goutal Vetiver. Vetiver Hombre from Adolfo Dominguez. Guerlain Vetiver, (ORIGINAL FORMULA).
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Sycomore here, but limited in what I have tried.

Sycomore.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    ...But my favorite is one nobody have mentioned yet, maybe because it had a very short life and was discontinued so fast that if you blinked, you lost it. I am refering at Indian Vetiver by Bath and Body Works.
    I never heard of that one. Interesting...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

My favorite? That's easy: Vetiver (vintage EdC) by Guerlain
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Vetiver can be a difficult note for me. It's not something that I really actively seek out, so I haven't tried a ton of vetiver-dominant fragrances. So far, good old Guerlain Vetiver is my favorite. For me it's really the gold standard in vetivers for good reason - I think it represents the perfect way to accentuate the best characteristics of vetiver while smoothing away some of its sharper and more pungent aspects.

Blog Entries

Chanel Sycomore and Givenchy Vetyver.

The end.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    My favorite vetiver fragrance so far - I have yet to find a "holy grail" vetiver - is Vetiver Extraordinaire. It's an interesting combo of deep and fresh, strong grassy yet airy and earthy at the same time.
    Agreed. This is my favourite. The "creme de la creme" of vetiver scents.

Lalique Encre Noire, Hermes vetiver Tonka, also I am starting to like Creed original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeCollector View Post
    ... my favorite is one nobody have mentioned yet, maybe because it had a very short life and was discontinued so fast that if you blinked, you lost it. I am refering at Indian Vetiver by Bath and Body Works.
    +1 Truly an underrated hidden gem and definitely one of my favourites (I've stocked up).

What a great thread.
    I just have to bump it.

I love Vetiver. My favorite pure vetiver is bourbon vetiver by Miller Harris, followed closely by Etro's Vetiver. I like all other vetiver like spiced oriental vetiver by Serge Lutens, creamy gourmand vetiver tonka by Hermes, smoky encore noire, root like vetiver extraordinaire.

I love Vetiver!!

Mmm, mmm, mmmmmm. Delightful.

My favourites are Vetiver Extraordinaire, Grey Vetiver, Original Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver. I really want to get my hands on Vetiver 1948 - if anyone has a source please hook me up.

I recently blind bought Encre Noire but I find it rather unpleasant. Must give it a few more tries before dismissing for good though.

It is really hard to say one vetiver fragrance is better than another. Vetiver lends itself to so many interpretations because vetiver blends so well with other things. Examples of this excellent blending in vetiver are:

DARK VETIVER BLENDS:
    Annick Goutal Vetiver - this is a blend of vetiver and leather. Who would have guessed that the dry greenness of vetiver would blend so well with dry leather scent. A green leather vetiver. This is the same vetiver tone that enchants the basenotes of Bond's Harrods Ltd. Oud fragrance - minus oud and minus amber of course. Very nice!
    Bois d' Orage - a peppery angelique and vetiver fragrance. This blend takes vetiver into the mossy greenery of a deep shaded forest.
    Etro Vetiver - Chocolate Vetiver. If there was ever a successful attempt at making a chocolate + vetiver confection, this chocolatey version does it.
    Villoresi Vetiver - cold damp roots and earth vetiver.
    Miller Harris Bourbon Vetiver - dark, rooty, leathery with hints of tar. This is almost like a concentrate of dark vetiver. Very potent.

LIGHT NATURAL VETIVERS:
    CdG Vetiveru - Is my favorite straight up vetiver fragrance - splashed on with abandon, because it is light but very natural vetiver with not much fussy additions or changes to the note.
    Sel d' Vetiver - A lively natural salt air, sunshine infused vetiver. Best for spring and summer.
    Mugler Cologne - Green, a little soapy, but possibly the best refreshing vetiver.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 21st March 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    An underrated one is Miller Harris - Vetiver Bourbon. This one is hard to find but it really is one of my favorite vetiver fragrances.
    This is an intoxicating absolute vetiver. Indian Ocean vetiver. Rooty, moist, intense vetiver. Only turtle vetiver, etro's vetiver come close to it in terms of pure vetiver.

Another vote for Guerlain Vetiver and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Here is an interesting listing for a bottle of Creed's Vetiver (1948) on Ebay.
    The bottle is listed at $.99. But Shipping is going to cost you $260.00!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...torefresh=true

I'm sure sellers do this all the time, but it made me laugh.
    Sorry to hijack the thread. And now back to more vetiver discussion.

I really need to try Goutal's Vetiver and Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company.

Also, Anyone know of a good vetiver/vanilla blend? I tried a local perfumer who had a nice one, but it was very roughly blended.
    Its a great pairing. I know Hermes makes Vetiver Tonka...Never tried it.
    Suggestions?

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Creed Vetiver 1948 is the best

Sycomore... Hooked from the first spray in the store. Got the 200ml half an hour later after I sniffed my wrist so hard it turned blue!
    It's an amazing fragrance that's unisex and great for any season. Never liked any of the other vertivers I tried, but this one is awesome. Fresh and warm at the same time and it keeps evolving. Stunning!

This thread go on for ever. I believe vetiver is the most versatile note. If you consider that it can take the form of Paul Smith Story all the way to Lorenzo Viloresi's Vetiver. I own several and each one has its own purpose. Of course I believe that vintage Route du Vetiver is a masterpiece that stands way above all others.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

I liked Montale Red Vetyver, but only tried on paper.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is good too, but too much weak to my tastes.

Blog Entries

Question Reference vetiver?

Recently I placed a Perfume Court order for some samples vials of various fragrances. Since I am new to scents collecting, I ordered Vetiver by Guerlain because Luca Turin said that it was the best vetiver to use as a "reference vetiver".

Now that I have it in hand and have smelled it, I do not detect the characteristic vetiver scent. I have never smelled vetiver at all, but from the descriptions of the various kinds/brands, I don't associate the smell of Vetiver by Guerlain with that of the descriptions.

I am wondering if any of you have alternate suggestions of fragrances (by name and maker) that really do smell like typical vetiver, with the least amount of other added fragrances? I thought that was what I would be getting with the Guerlain...

Thanks, BB
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th April 2011 at 07:17 PM.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Default Re: Reference vetiver?

Givenchy Vetiver
    Carven Vetiver

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Refrence vetiver?

Guerlain Vetiver (vintage)
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire is my other favorite vetiver, other than Guerlain's.

Sur la Plage

If you got the current version of Guerlain Vetiver, I would not consider that the "reference". You should try to find a vintage bottle.

You should also look into Givenchy Vetyver.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Encre Noir is a great Vetiver scent that has two types of Vetiver in its makeup.

After the citrus opening, I do detect vetiver in Guerlain's vetiver - but I'll smell again next time I'm in a store. Perhaps you were thinking vetiver was something else? In any case, as you point out, I don't think LT meant reference as "the true smell of natural vetiver", but as the best, ideal, perfume in the vetiver genre. In fact, he does say that Malle's vetiver extraordinaire better approximates the smell of the dried root (which is apparently different from the extract-I've never smelled the dried root).

Everybody has his or her own favorite vetiver. Also, note that, as with all notes, there are differences, some are fresher, some rootier. But all share the basic notes. In addition to those mentioned, I'd also add Sycomore by Chanel, Vetiver by Lubin, and Vetiverio by dyptique.

I read that the newer installment in the overpriced molecule series (molecule 03, perhaps) is pure vetiveril acetate, which is the molecule responsible for most of the fresh part of vetiver, but I haven't smelled it yet.

cacio

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Monotheme's Vetiver Bourbon - light-ish, linear, almost solo-note vetiver. Not as embellished with other notes as most vetivers i have smelt.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I think somewhere between Vetiver Extraordinaire and vintage Guerlain Vetiver or Chanel Sycomore you'll find what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 10th April 2011 at 09:21 PM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

My reference vetiver is Turtle Vetiver by Les Nez. All others just don't seem to hold a candle to this one.

There are many types of vetiver oil which can smell quite different. In addition, most vetiver fragrances extract and isolate the components they want from the vetiver oil in order to emphasise different aspects.
    Guerlain veteiver in its current form starts with a big fresh citric note, when it dries it still has an excellent fresh, grassy vetiver note.
    Try also Lubin's Le Vetiver, Vetiver Extrordinaire and some oils from an aromatherapy shop.
    Read Ayala Moriel's article on different vetivers on her blog..

Actually the vintage Guerlain Vetiver is mostly just good quality Bourbon Vetiver oil with some oakmoss and top notes added. You can make something which smells quite close with just three or four ingredients....of course they add trickery and magic (i.e. ears of guerlain know-how) to make it project etc
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews